Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd October 2018, 14:44   #23041  |  Link
clsid

Can you also export the metadata "comment" value from FFmpeg (as description) for embedded cover art? Then I can use that in MPC-HC to choose the best cover.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 14:52   #23042  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
Anyone have trouble with both LAV 0.72 and LAV 0.72-15 Nightly and 4K content? it detects my my GTX 960 in D3D11 drop down menu but CPU does all the decoding (HW decoding for 4K is checked). It goes for both D3D11 and DXVA2 Native, but 1080 content does activate hw decoding. MPC-HC's internal LAV decoder 0.70-2.1-git does hw accelerate 4K.

P.S. the problem seems to be limited to 4K HFR (60 fps) content. I am using MadVR but even EVR doesn't run it at 60 fps and it's choppy
What does LAV Video state as "Active Decoder" during playback? Is EVR+DXVA2 native fluid? Codec is HEVC 10 bit main10 profile 4:2:0 or something else (copy&paste MediaInfo here)?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:56   #23043  |  Link
mytbyte

@mclingo:

It's set to Automatic (Native)

@sneaker_ger: it states "avcodec". Codec is as you describe. My other very lowly computer (core2Quad) is very happy to play it smoothly via GT 1030, drivers are the latest Nvidia 411.70, though not sure about the LAV version, can't get to that comp right now)
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:01   #23044  |  Link
mclingo

thats unusual then, unless you've done what i've done once or twice, installed LAV and a player and then not set LAVs as external filters in the player so you are essentially still using the internal player LAV settings.
Old 3rd October 2018, 13:13   #23045  |  Link
mytbyte

Lo and behold, I just reverted LAV filters to 0.71 and now it's as it should be (DXVA2 and DXVA11 accel taking place for all 4K content, the problem was not just HFR as I first thought)...so there is something wrong with 0.72, at least on my system.

Last edited by mytbyte; 3rd October 2018 at 13:16.
Old 3rd October 2018, 17:37   #23046  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Nothing in hardware decoding really changed since 0.71. It makes no sense to me how it would work on one system and not another, and on one resolution and not another. Smells like something on your system to me.
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:20   #23047  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Nothing in hardware decoding really changed since 0.71. It makes no sense to me how it would work on one system and not another, and on one resolution and not another. Smells like something on your system to me.
Could be my system (can't imagine what) but why does it work then with the previous version? I changed nothing else, just removed the 0.72 and installed 0.71.
Old 4th October 2018, 06:42   #23048  |  Link
huhn

can you be a more precise so i can try to reproduce the problem with a sample file or something like that?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 10:22   #23049  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you be a more precise so i can try to reproduce the problem with a sample file or something like that?
I'm using Win 10 updated to 1809, MPC-HC 1.7.13 and latest Nvidia drivers 411.70 (Please note that the same happened before Win update and with older Nvidia drivers 398.xx). There is no hardware decoding in 0.72 with either D3D11 or DXVA2 setting (there is no DXVA2 or D3D11 indication in OSD (Ctrl-J).

However the LAV version that comes internal with MPC-HC does work albeit it doesn't support D3D11 option yet, but with DXVA2 works, as does LAV 0.71.

Sample files can be any 4K content, but specifically B.l.y L.nn which is HFR and is obviously too much for the CPU decoding (AMD FX-8320 slightly o.c. to 3.8 Ghz) even with EVR (50-56 fps wen it needs to be 60).

Old 4th October 2018, 14:21   #23050  |  Link
clsid

Try MPC-HC 1.8.2
Old 4th October 2018, 14:22   #23051  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Can you also export the metadata "comment" value from FFmpeg (as description) for embedded cover art? Then I can use that in MPC-HC to choose the best cover.
I have made a patch:
https://github.com/clsid2/LAVFilters/commits/master
Old 4th October 2018, 15:10   #23052  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Try MPC-HC 1.8.2
Thanks, now it works, both internal and external 0.72.x.x...
Old 5th October 2018, 09:27   #23053  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
I've picked that patch with some additions for the second attachment case, thanks.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:43   #23054  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Filters 0.73
Code:
LAV Splitter
- Changed: Export the description of cover art and attachments for use by players
- Fixed: Properly marked the packet allocator as providing read-only packets, to avoid crashes with in-place transform filters

LAV Video
- NEW: Support for AV1 decoding using libaom
- Changed: Enabled VP9 hardware acceleration by default
- Fixed: The aspect ratio of certain WMV/VC-1 files was not being properly respected in the WMV9 MFT decoder
Download: Installer (both x86/x64) -- Zips: 32-bit & 64-bit

AV1 Support

This is the first officialy LAV Filters release with AV1 support. LAV Splitter can read compliant files, and LAV Video can decode AV1 using the libaom decoder.
The alternative dav1d decoder is still under active development, and at this time is not quite ready for widespread use yet. It'll be included in the future, once the dust settles.

Otherwise, not much changed. General house keeping and some small corrections. New FFmpeg version of course.

As always, please report issues, specifically regressions, in as much detail as possible with a sample file if applicable.

Have fun!
Old 5th October 2018, 12:56   #23055  |  Link
mclingo

bit a noob question this as its never come up as i've only recently started updating the LAV filters in the KODI DS build, to update the LAV filters you normally just copy the filters from: C:\Program Files (x86)\LAV Filters\x86 to \KODI DS\system\players\dsplayer\LAVFilters - or whereever you have it instsalled.

This time they didnt overwrite as the DLL names have changed, do these always change with major build changes nevcairiel?, I assume I'll just delete the old filters and copy the new ones in there.

If you're not sure i'll ask on the DS forum,

Cheers for the new version !
Old 5th October 2018, 12:57   #23056  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
AV1 Support

This is the first officialy LAV Filters release with AV1 support. LAV Splitter can read compliant files, and LAV Video can decode AV1 using the libaom decoder.
The alternative dav1d decoder is still under active development, and at this time is not quite ready for widespread use yet. It'll be included in the future, once the dust settles.
I think that libaom is in active development too.

Are you going to follow their new releases too ?

They are probably doing great steps regarding SMT, ASM and SIMD optimizations not in every new release of course, but certainly they haven't stopped development.

Also we must have a way to benchmark those two different decoders for AV1.

It would be extremely useful to add both decoders in LAV in order to test which is faster as they release new versions.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 13:07   #23057  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV has no real possibility to choose between two decoders based on FFmpeg. If you want to benchmark them, I suggest you use FFmpeg itself - although the dav1d decoder module for FFmpeg has not landed yet, partially because dav1d keeps changing (its just not ready yet).
I'll include whichever ends up better, but just from history I have far more trust in the people working on dav1d to provide the fastest AV1 software decoder. The FFmpeg vp9 decoder, from the same developer, runs leaps around libvpx.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th October 2018 at 13:09.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 13:14   #23058  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
This time they didnt overwrite as the DLL names have changed, do these always change with major build changes nevcairiel?, I assume I'll just delete the old filters and copy the new ones in there.
The name change was already in February, so 0.72 already had them.
The names change when FFmpeg updates to a newer major version. The old ones should just be deleted.
Old 5th October 2018, 13:16   #23059  |  Link
mclingo

I probably had some really old ones in there then I hadnt removed, thanks for the info, I just tested KODI DS and it works fine.

Thanks again for your excellent work.

Old 5th October 2018, 13:26   #23060  |  Link
clsid

Thanks for the release!

If you get bored, could you take a look at this bug report.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter