Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 18th September 2007, 05:56   #541  |  Link
delude101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
@CiNcH

thanks.
has someone got hardware acceleration for h.264 with latest mpc hd and cyberlink in vista with a nvidia graphics like a 6800gs?
7900GTO here, using 162.22 with vista ultimate 32bit. Only SW profile shows up no matter what type of file i play. Using the h.264 decoder from Powerdvd 7.3 ultra.
Old 18th September 2007, 08:01   #542  |  Link
Shakey_Jake33

Quote:
Originally Posted by delude101 View Post
7900GTO here, using 162.22 with vista ultimate 32bit. Only SW profile shows up no matter what type of file i play. Using the h.264 decoder from Powerdvd 7.3 ultra.
SW for me too, using Vista X64, Cyberlink H.264 codec from PowerDVD Ultra, and 7900 GTO GPU.
I always assumed it was doing it HW tbh.
Old 18th September 2007, 08:41   #543  |  Link
delude101

MC Profile shows up when using EVR Mode (Standard). It does improves the playback of 1080i videos significantly, but 720p/1080p videos still the same. CPU usage around 15% lower (C2D@2.8Ghz)

The EVR mode is horrible though. It ALWAYS outputs in 16-235levels and there are ugly grey bars for wide screen instead of black ones.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:42   #544  |  Link
Shakey_Jake33

Quote:
Originally Posted by delude101 View Post
MC Profile shows up when using EVR Mode (Standard). It does improves the playback of 1080i videos significantly, but 720p/1080p videos still the same. CPU usage around 15% lower (C2D@2.8Ghz)

The EVR mode is horrible though. It ALWAYS outputs in 16-235levels and there are ugly grey bars for wide screen instead of black ones.
I've read a few posts about the grey bars, but I've not had that problem yet.
Old 18th September 2007, 11:54   #545  |  Link
CiNcH

For me it is 'Bitstream' with EVR Standard and 'SW' with EVR Custom, just as expected, at least what I expected...
Old 18th September 2007, 13:30   #546  |  Link
SBeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
I've read a few posts about the grey bars, but I've not had that problem yet.
I've had the grey bars on all computers I've tried EVR on, and both on Vista and XP x64 too.
I want to know your secret, do you have Nvidia or Ati videocard?
Old 18th September 2007, 21:23   #547  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

I get grey bars as well. how are you guys getting hardware acceleration with h264? filters, specs, players and file container etc please.
Old 18th September 2007, 22:43   #548  |  Link
Casimir666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBeaver View Post
I've had the grey bars on all computers I've tried EVR on, and both on Vista and XP x64 too.
I want to know your secret, do you have Nvidia or Ati videocard?
For XP you can try to add thoses keys in registry :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{ GUID }\0000

VMRCCCSStatus 3 (dword)
VMRCCStatus 3 (dword)

For GUID, it depend of you machine and it's the GUID with the largest number of keys. Unfortunatly this trick didn't work with vista
Old 18th September 2007, 22:50   #549  |  Link
CiNcH

1. Launch regedit and determine the current primary display card by looking in "HKey_Local_Machine\Hardware\DeviceMap\Video" and note the GUID (global unique identifier assigned by Windows), which is the long string in brackets { } at the end of the entry "\device\video0".

2. Look in "HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{GUID}000" where {GUID} is the number derived from the previous step.

3. Open the "0000" directory and create a new DWORD called "VMRCCCSStatus" and give it a value of 3
Old 19th September 2007, 01:03   #550  |  Link
delude101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
I get grey bars as well. how are you guys getting hardware acceleration with h264? filters, specs, players and file container etc please.
MPCHC set to output in EVR Mode (standard, NOT custom presenter), Haali Media Splitter, Cyberlink H.264 Decoder. Try apple hd trailers, they all work when set to .hdmov

Just flashed my 7900gto to a gtx, no difference :P

Last edited by delude101; 19th September 2007 at 01:06.
Old 19th September 2007, 10:38   #551  |  Link
MasterNobody

I found the reason of MPC freeze when trying to view DVD (.ifo) or .vob files with standard Microsoft source filters qdvd.dll/mpg2splt.ax (NOT internal MPEG PS/TS/PVA source filter) with Haali Video Render dxr.dll. It caused by deadlock in
Code:
STDMETHODIMP CFGManager::EnumFilters(IEnumFilters** ppEnum)
{
	if(!m_pUnkInner) return E_UNEXPECTED;

CAutoLock cAutoLock(this);

return CComQIPtr<IFilterGraph2>(m_pUnkInner)->EnumFilters(ppEnum);
}
because sometimes (most of the times) it at first called by Haali Video Render (NOT main thread) and during it execution it is called from MPEG-2 Splitter/Demultiplexer (main thread). For myself I have made patched version (where I fill with NOPs calls of EnterCriticalSection/LeaveCriticalSection of this function) which works without freeze. May be somebody can find more correct workaround for this problem than removing critical section.
Old 19th September 2007, 18:43   #552  |  Link
Rash

Hey, I did the CTRL + CyberLink video but I couldn't get the mode (software, hardware). I did get an extra "statistics" information on CyberLink's properties, though. It says the average fps, expected fps, etc. (Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder, PowerDVD 7 Ultra BD/HD-DVD Edition)

You were talking about doing this on MPC, right?

Oh! Finally you guys realised about the grey bars when using EVR. I've been crazy about it for quite some time. You can adjust your video to scale to the extended range (0-255) but the grey bars are still there. The effect is awful, check it out.
http://rash.apanela.com/images/wmp11...background.png

I have already sent a support ticket to NVIDIA and I have also posted about it on Microsoft Newsgroups. It seems that nobody have this problem. NVIDIA hasn't replied to me yet.

Oh, by the way, I don't think this grey bar problem occurs with the analog RGB connection, only with DVI. I have made several tests and analog RGB is always fine.
Old 19th September 2007, 18:54   #553  |  Link
SBeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post
Hey, I did the CTRL + CyberLink video but I couldn't get the mode (software, hardware). I did get an extra "statistics" information on CyberLink's properties, though. It says the average fps, expected fps, etc. (Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder, PowerDVD 7 Ultra BD/HD-DVD Edition)

Oh! Finally you guys realised about the grey bars when using EVR. I've been crazy about it for quite some time. You can adjust your video to scale to the extended range (0-255) but the grey bars are still there. The effect is awful, check it out.

I have already sent a support ticket to NVIDIA and I have also posted about it on Microsoft Newsgroups. It seems that nobody have this problem. NVIDIA hasn't replied to me yet.

Oh, by the way, I don't think this grey bar problem occurs with the analog RGB connection, only with DVI. I have made several tests and analog RGB is always fine.
There might have been a change here in drivers 163.69 (or whatever the latest was) bot I'm not 100% certain.
I updated from the previous 163.67 and the bars are now some degree darker.
As I said it might be something else that caused it but try these drivers and see if it helps any.
I'm on Vista x64

edit: and also using DVI (single link)
Old 19th September 2007, 18:57   #554  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
Only possible with the H.264 decoder.
Old 19th September 2007, 19:20   #555  |  Link
Rash

Ah, I must have missed that Cinch. Sorry.

Beaver, they released these new drivers yesterday, I didn't know about them. Downloading. But EVR Custom with the new MPC release is producing such amazing, awesome quality I hope it doesn't get ruined by the new drivers (as far as I know, the custom presenter shouldn't be affected because it doesn't depend on the drivers). In fact, I am keeping this MPC version forever, in case EVR Custom ever gets broken. lol, just kidding.

[EDIT] Just tested the new drivers, the bars are still 16, 16, 16. No change.

Last edited by Rash; 19th September 2007 at 19:41.
Old 19th September 2007, 19:44   #556  |  Link
SBeaver

Strange, I guess something else must have caused the change somehow.
Old 20th September 2007, 07:16   #557  |  Link
delude101

Quote:

How did you get 0-255? More annoying then the grey bars tbh.

And was that a regular analog RGB or through a dvi to d-sub adapter?
Old 20th September 2007, 10:08   #558  |  Link
KyleK

Quote:

I'm using MPC HC on Vista Ultimate (32bit) with an ATi Radeon X800 Pro and I too get the wrong black levels with grey bars at widescreen. This only happens in EVR mode, Haali is fine. My display is connected via D-SUB/VGA.
Old 20th September 2007, 16:36   #559  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
...EVR Custom with the new MPC release is producing such amazing, awesome quality I hope it doesn't get ruined by the new drivers...
Do you have any screenshot comparison? Would be great to see that difference.

Thanks!
Old 20th September 2007, 16:37   #560  |  Link
Rash

Delude101, I have adjusted the brightness and contrast on the NV Control Panel to get 0-255. I don't think I made it a perfect 0-255 scaling, but I won't use it anyway because of the issue in the picture. And for all other renderers, including EVR Custom Presenter on MPC HC, the bars are all black and the 0-255 scaling is perfect.

I got EVR to add pure black bars using a regular analog RGB connector, not analog through DVI (using adapter).

Last edited by Rash; 20th September 2007 at 18:50.
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc