Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 29th September 2008, 14:49   #6401  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivahl View Post
madshi: did you test if the new Nero 9 filters can be used by 3rd-party programs?
I don't have access to Nero 9. Whoever has access to that can test whether the DirectShow audio decoder works in GraphEdit. My best guess would be no. Why should they revert the protection they added in Nero 8?
Old 29th September 2008, 15:18   #6402  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
No. You can just delete the WAV files if you don't want any sounds. eac3to doesn't mind if the WAV files aren't there.
Then how about a compromise? Can you at least use foobar2k to do WAV->WAV, but apply per-track replay gain? The bloody things are just way too damn loud as they are. When listening to replay-gained music the success sound comes like the voice of Lucifer from the bowels of Hell.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:53   #6403  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Does everybody agree that the success/error WAVs which eac3to uses are too loud?

Opinions, please!
Old 29th September 2008, 16:27   #6404  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

yes, it's too loud.
Old 29th September 2008, 16:54   #6405  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

I was wondering if anyone knows what format would give me the closest to the original that I could use with my ATI 4850 video card that allows for bit stream non PAP audio over HDMI to my Onkyo 805?
I have been using strictly AC3 format, but that is no better then using Spdif. I am a little confused over the different choices. I have tried to convert to PCM, but can't get it to work. Now I am trying LPCM and I will see how that works. After that I will attempt raw. Maybe it's my decoder as I am using the latest ffdshow.

Any help to find the closest audio to the Hi-Def used on Blu-Rays used would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 29th September 2008, 16:54   #6406  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Does everybody agree that the success/error WAVs which eac3to uses are too loud?

Opinions, please!
I have these little knobs called volume controls on my speakers...they do wonders.

I have to say, the first time you put these in, I jumped off my chair because I had my volume pretty loud and didn't expect any sound from eac3to. LOL

Not to make more work for you, but have you considered using the pre-defined sounds from Windows? That way we can assign our own WAV files or turn them off altogether from the Control Panel. At least you won't have to embed any sounds or provide any switches for this.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:00   #6407  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
I have to say, the first time you put these in, I jumped off my chair because I had my volume pretty loud and didn't expect any sound from eac3to.
me too...:-/

anyway, I'm fine with the removal by myself.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:09   #6408  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrb View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows what format would give me the closest to the original that I could use with my ATI 4850 video card that allows for bit stream non PAP audio over HDMI to my Onkyo 805?
I'd suggest transcoding to FLAC. You can use madFlac for decoding. The audio should be transported as PCM over HDMI to your Onkyo in up to 7.1 with full bitdepth, as far as I can say. However, you can't mux FLAC into a m2ts file, if that's what you're trying to do?
Old 29th September 2008, 17:10   #6409  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
Not to make more work for you, but have you considered using the pre-defined sounds from Windows?
I had checked them but found none which I liked or seemed fitting.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:16   #6410  |  Link
xixi2000

good job
Old 29th September 2008, 17:22   #6411  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in this thread earlier: is there any quality loss when decoding regular AC3 tracks to WAV using the Nero 7 DirectShow filter, which outputs 24bit wave files which eac3to then converts to 16bit.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:23   #6412  |  Link
piratburner

Hi !

Need your answers :-)

I'm demuxing a PCM track from a M2TS file with tsMuxerGUI.
And then using mkvmerge to add that track to a MKV file.

Is this right way to do it ?

And I know this have nothing to do with eac3to , BUT you are so good at this stuff so I hope you could point me at the right direction if I'm wrong :-)
Old 29th September 2008, 17:24   #6413  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
I'm not sure if this has been discussed in this thread earlier: is there any quality loss when decoding regular AC3 tracks to WAV using the Nero 7 DirectShow filter, which outputs 24bit wave files which eac3to then converts to 16bit.
eac3to doesn't convert them to 16bit (unless you ask it to). If you decode AC3 to 24bit WAV with the Nero 7 decoder there's no quality loss. If you tell eac3to to downconvert to 16bit the noise floor will ever so slightly increase. Whether you (or anybody) can hear the increased noise floor is something even the experts don't agree on. So don't expect to get a clear answer about that! The big question for me, though, is why decode the AC3 track in the first place?
Old 29th September 2008, 17:27   #6414  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratburner View Post
Hi !

Need your answers :-)

I'm demuxing a PCM track from a M2TS file with tsMuxerGUI.
And then using mkvmerge to add that track to a MKV file.

Is this right way to do it ?

And I know this have nothing to do with eac3to , BUT you are so good at this stuff so I hope you could point me at the right direction if I'm wrong :-)
If you demux to PCM then you can't add this to MKV. I guess you're demuxing to WAV? If you do that you may run into trouble with 24bit tracks cause WAV files with more than 4GB (or even 2GB) are problematic. I'm not sure if mkvtoolnix can handle them correctly. I'm not sure if TsMuxeR can create them properly, either. If your final aim is MKV then I suggest letting eac3to directly convert the PCM track to FLAC. That saves space and still gives you 100% identical audio quality.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:27   #6415  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
eac3to doesn't convert them to 16bit (unless you ask it to). If you decode AC3 to 24bit WAV with the Nero 7 decoder there's no quality loss. If you tell eac3to to downconvert to 16bit the noise floor will ever so slightly increase. Whether you (or anybody) can hear the increased noise floor is something even the experts don't agree on. So don't expect to get a clear answer about that! The big question for me, though, is why decode the AC3 track in the first place?
I need to decode them (if there's more than 2 channels) to process them to either a 2-ch AC3 or MP4, depending on the final container.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:34   #6416  |  Link
piratburner

Quote:
If you demux to PCM then you can't add this to MKV. I guess you're demuxing to WAV? If you do that you may run into trouble with 24bit tracks cause WAV files with more than 4GB (or even 2GB) are problematic. I'm not sure if mkvtoolnix can handle them correctly. I'm not sure if TsMuxeR can create them properly, either. If your final aim is MKV then I suggest letting eac3to directly convert the PCM track to FLAC. That saves space and still gives you 100% identical audio quality.
Ok , But my Tvix cant handle multichanel flac, but TviX lates FW have HD-Sound passtrough :-) Yhen I would have PCM in my MKV ( If MKV allowed that) So FLAC is not a way to go for me, And I hope PCM should do it.

If PCM works in MKV how shall I get a prober PCM from a M2ts FILE, so I cam put that in a MKV file ?

Mkvmerge what completed now with NO errors.... Can I trust that

Result from MediaInfo
Audio #2
Format : PCM
Codec ID : A_PCM/INT/LIT
Duration : 1 h 50 min
Bitrateläge : Constant
Kanal(er) : 6 kanaler
Samplingstakt : 48,0 KHz
Upplösning : 16 bits
titel : PCM
Språk : Engelska

MediaInfo from the demuxed track from M2TS file
Audio
Format : FFFE
Codec ID : FFFE
Codec ID/Info : Extensible wave format
Codec ID/Hint : Extensible
Bitrate : 4 608 Kbps
Kanal(er) : 6 kanaler
Samplingstakt : 48,0 KHz
Upplösning : 16 bits

Last edited by piratburner; 29th September 2008 at 17:40.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:38   #6417  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
I need to decode them (if there's more than 2 channels) to process them to either a 2-ch AC3 or MP4, depending on the final container.
MP4 is a container. You mean AAC? Both AC3 and AAC are lossy codecs. So you shouldn't worry about quality loss when *decoding* the original AC3 track. The loss in audio quality is not during decoding but during the reencoding to the final AC3 or AAC track.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:42   #6418  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Ok , But my Tvix cant handle multichanel flac
Not yet. But it will probably be added sooner or later.

Quote:
If PCM works in MKV how shall I get a prober PCM from a M2ts FILE, so I cam put that in a MKV file ?
mkvtoolnix doesn't accept PCM, but it accepts WAV. WAV is the same as PCM with just a little header in front of the PCM data. mkvtoolnix needs the WAV header because only that way it knows how many channels the PCM data has and which bitdepth etc...

Quote:
Mkvmerge what completed now with NO errors.... Can I trust that
Looks good. But you've luck. The track is only 16bit and only 1:50 hours long. With 24bit PCM tracks or with longer 16bit tracks things might get more difficult.

Basically you can double check whether the MKV is alright by just playing the beginning and end of the movie. If you get proper sound at both beginning and end then the MKV should be fine.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:44   #6419  |  Link
piratburner

Thanks madshi :-) I will do some more testings :-)
Old 29th September 2008, 18:25   #6420  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
MP4 is a container. You mean AAC? Both AC3 and AAC are lossy codecs. So you shouldn't worry about quality loss when *decoding* the original AC3 track. The loss in audio quality is not during decoding but during the reencoding to the final AC3 or AAC track.
Yes, I meant AAC.. Thanks for the info, I'll keep on using eac3to just as before
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to