Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th November 2011, 03:11   #10701  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
According to the log your GPU driver behaves exactly as expected. madVR should adjust accordingly. As a result there should be no visible difference between both settings, except BTB and WTW, when using madVR. I'm aware of that there will be a difference in VMR and EVR in black and white levels, but there should not be any visible difference in madVR. If you do see a difference in madVR, can you please make a screenshot showing the difference, please? Thx.
Screenshots:

Quote:
If your retest confirms your first impressions, can I have a sample, please, with which I can reproduce the smoothness difference? Thanks. After reading robpdotcom's comment (see below) maybe you should try installing 10.11 drivers?
Why 10.11 drivers? Did you mean 11.10? I'm already using 11.10 which are the latest non-beta.
Old 7th November 2011, 03:13   #10702  |  Link
RBG

Quote:

I've tried again, but I can't reproduce this problem. Tried switching a lot of times, slow and fast. No crash ever.
Can you try this sample with my filter set.

PotPlayer 1.5.29996
(1) Haali Media Splitter 1.11.288.0
(2) LAV Video Decoder 0.38
(3) Madshi Video Renderer 0.78
(4) Audio Codec/Transform
(5) DirectSound Audio Renderer

MadVR Settings

Also you should switch audio processing only in full screen mode.

Quote:
Does the potplayer decoder use the GPU for decoding?
Yes it does. Potplayer decoder with "DXVA without rendering" option turned on can use hardware accelerated playback with madVR. Mostly I use CUDA decoders, but for ATI users that can be an option. I've tried Cyberlink(HAM), another decoder which supports hardware accelerated video decoding with madVR, works fine, but madVR deinterlacing is not working.

Last edited by RBG; 7th November 2011 at 03:19.
RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 04:39   #10703  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
So nothing for me to worry about?
At this point, it seems that Windowed Mode just doesn't kick the thing into gear, so to speak. Everything works and looks great in FSE mode (higher clocks), but Windowed mode doesn't. I'm really not sure what's going on here all of a sudden. I tried the "profile trick" mentioned above, that had no effect. I'm on the 11.10 drivers and I'm going to try locking the clocks to see what happens.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 05:08   #10704  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Why 10.11 drivers? Did you mean 11.10? I'm already using 11.10 which are the latest non-beta.
I was having the same issue as you on my 5750 - the deinterlaced video simply was not smooth. 10.11 was the newest driver that worked for me. Then, there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
According to some users on AVSForum for instance, 10.12 was the latest stable and usable AMD driver. That was the version where you could choose between CCC and the new interface. I have that one installed, chose the new interface. And i use Realtek's ATI HDMI driver. All is fine since, and i have never updated till now, since i see no reason for it and there are now important features added or important bugs removed since then. They only seem to work on game related stuff that doesn't interest me.

My HD5770 has worked like a charm with this driver, so im not eager to upgrade :-)
For me, 10.12 had the same problem as the newer drivers, but 10.11 was perfect. And like GMC said, most changes to drivers are game related, so unless you play games, you probably don't need the newer drivers.

Also, using the revamped CCC had problems for me - one being that it wasn't showing the option to change the dynamic range to 16-255 (limited), as well as a lot of other options in the video "enhancements" menu. 10.11 with the old CCC has no problems, so I'll stick with that. I am, however, using the latest AMD HDMI audio driver - the older versions had issues with outputting Windows sounds (such as the sound you get when you click on a folder).

Quote:
So now madVR looks just as well as EVR? Can I still have a sample of your tennis video, for testing purposes?
It's just as smooth as EVR; but it's madVR, so it's even better.

Here's the sample. If you want more, just ask - I have lots of them.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8B8J23RO
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 05:33   #10705  |  Link
markanini

Seems to work mostly as intended for Intel HD3000 but I've only tested with a MPEG2 60i SD source so far, MPC-HC DXVA decoder used.
Some unexpected behavior: When i hit ctrl+shift+alt+d I see no combing yet the annotation says de-interlacing is off.

Last edited by markanini; 7th November 2011 at 05:35.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 06:35   #10706  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
Some unexpected behavior: When i hit ctrl+shift+alt+d I see no combing yet the annotation says de-interlacing is off.
- TV is doing the deinterlacing?
- Source video, despite being 60i, is not really interlaced (i.e. both fields have no temporal differences between them)?
Old 7th November 2011, 06:42   #10707  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
MPC-HC DXVA decoder used
Is it really being used? I suspect MPC-HC's internal software decoder which does some deinterlacing by itself might be being used (check the Play-> Filters menu).
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 07:09   #10708  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
This resulted in both madVR and LAV CUVID having about the same GPU load ~80% while EVR was around 50%.
EVR might be cheating. It has some auto-magic to reduce deinterlacing quality when it notices your GPU is hitting its limits. It sadly doesn't let you know when it does it.
Old 7th November 2011, 07:24   #10709  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
EVR might be cheating. It has some auto-magic to reduce deinterlacing quality when it notices your GPU is hitting its limits. It sadly doesn't let you know when it does it.
It's done in the driver. For Radeons, it's an option called 'enforce smooth video playback' or similar. Turn that off and it wont down grade the deinterlacing.
Old 7th November 2011, 07:59   #10710  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
It's done in the driver. For Radeons, it's an option called 'enforce smooth video playback' or similar. Turn that off and it wont down grade the deinterlacing.
No, thats not it. EVR has the same functionality, it can go down from 50/60p output to 25/30p, as well as use a different algorithm if the driver offers one.

The ESVP option is not done at runtime, afaik, its only decided based on your GPU which algorithms are active - not if it actually manages to do it, just if a developer thought it would.
Note that the EVR option is not always 100% successfull, especially if the driver forces some options to be active.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 7th November 2011 at 08:15.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 08:17   #10711  |  Link
markanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
- TV is doing the deinterlacing?
- Source video, despite being 60i, is not really interlaced (i.e. both fields have no temporal differences between them)?
No, I'm viewing through a computer monitor. Just tried FFDShow for decoding and the behaviour is unchanged and futher motion is very jumpy regardless of field order setting via ctrl+alt+shift+f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Is it really being used? I suspect MPC-HC's internal software decoder which does some deinterlacing by itself might be being used (check the Play-> Filters menu).
Yes it was really used per Play>Filters. BTW how do activate the Intel decoder? I ticked the boxes in MadVR setting and added the seperate dll to the MadVR folder.

EDIT:Tried MPCHC decoder again and noticed motion became jumpy after cyling de-interlace on and off.

Last edited by markanini; 7th November 2011 at 08:28.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 09:43   #10712  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I doubt that's the case.
It looks perfect both with test samples from AVS and with live sports. It's the same quality wise as madVR and LAV CUVID with High-Quality Processing turned on.
The load difference is similar if use lighter samples which leave a lot of headroom on my video card.
Nev, you are using a pretty decent NVIDIA card, right? Do you see the same performance difference?
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:39   #10713  |  Link
whitestar999

i am having an unusual problem.some 1080p videos run fine on my laptop c2d 2ghz mobilty radeon 4570 with screen resolution 1366*768(60hz) but when i try to run the same video from laptop through hdmi on a 1080p(60hz) LG LCD TV there video lags with frames dropping continuously.backbuffer & render queue are almost always 1-3/8 while decoder & other queue are full.as i understand playing 1080p video on a 1080p screen should be the easiest case scenario or am i missing something.
whitestar999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:47   #10714  |  Link
namaiki

whitestar999: How much video ram does your card have? Also, if you make the video window smaller while connected to the 1080p screen, does it still lag? Try check with GPU-z or similar program if the GPU core or memory is being maxed out.
Old 7th November 2011, 10:59   #10715  |  Link
whitestar999

@namaiki,card ram is 256mb & yes there is a difference when i make video window smaller.gpu-z shows card load at ~70% when window is resized to ~480*360.how can i see the gpu-z window in full screen video playing?
whitestar999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 11:05   #10716  |  Link
namaiki

You could try put GPU-z on the other monitor or only just maximize the player window instead of fullscreen. Have you checked if the GPU clocks are at full speed?
256MB is just on the limit. My computer with a 9600M GT 256MB before it died was only just enough for madVR at 1920x1080 30fps.
Old 7th November 2011, 11:24   #10717  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestar999 View Post
how can i see the gpu-z window in full screen video playing?
You don't need to see it, just enable 'log to file' and 'continue refreshing'.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 12:00   #10718  |  Link
diizzy

Thanks for all the hard work you've been putting into madVR, I do seem (?) to have some issues with the new DXVA2 deinterlacing feature.

At least on Intel HD Graphics (1st gen Core iX-CPUs) it doesn't seem to work at all, it just says "deinterlacing failed". It does work with Microsofts DTV filter on the other hand...
While I do realise that I have hardly the most optimal hardware for madVR I have to say that it works pretty well with some minor adjustments and doesn't provide slideshow performance when going above 1920x1080 which EVR CP and other renders do (1920x1200 makes it crawl for some reason).
If you want me to do some kind of debugging please let me know.

As for the posts above at least on this computer windowed mode needs much more processing power when exclusive (full screen mode), I do need to adjust the scaling algorithms somewhat otherwise I get noticable frame drops even in exclusive mode. Using Softcubic as algorithm instead of lanczos (default) seems to do the trick on my "low-end" GPU at least so it may be worth a try. I'm sure madshi can provide information on which algorithms requires less processing power than others.

Best regards,
Danne

Last edited by diizzy; 7th November 2011 at 12:49.
diizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 12:13   #10719  |  Link
namaiki

Log for "deinterlacing failed" message on Intel HD graphics: http://www.mediafire.com/?n8o0jz0umd4xqw1
Old 7th November 2011, 12:22   #10720  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Curious, it says "VideoProcessBlt failed (8007000e)", and thats the HRESULT for Out of Memory. How much memory did you allocate your IGP?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling