Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 4th April 2003, 08:41   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

How to find out which Title and Title Set is for Widescreen/Fullscreen

How to find out which Title and Title Set is for Widescreen/Fullscreen
Courtesy of 2CL

This is a common question asked by newbies when they encounter a DVD containing both widescreen and fullscreen movies. I understand that IFoedit may be difficult to understand initially so I wanted to show you a generic guide on how to find out which Title is for a certain display aspect ratio (DAR) and which Title Set it resides in.

The easiest way for you, as a newbie, to find out which is widescreen or fullscreen is to play the DVD in IFOedit. Open any IFO and press DVD-Play to preview the movie. Prior to either version is going to play, you will be presented with your aspect ratio selection menu for you to choose widescreen or fullscreen. Note: There maybe cases in which the aspect ratio menu does not appear and that it plays a certain format as default. You would have your option to change format in a settings menu. Whichever you select, when the movie plays, look in IFOedit’s DVD Play Panel below. There’s a status window. Your Title number will be displaying. Remember it or write it down. Now that you got your Title number, go to your VIDEO_TS.IFO / VMG Overview / Number of Title Play Maps. On the same line of the Title you got in Status Panel, you will have your Title set number following it, e.g. VTS_01_* .

Last edited by 2COOL; 4th April 2003 at 23:03.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2003, 23:25   #2  |  Link
Josh

Another option if you have windvd, simply click on 1 of the vob files and let windvd play it and see which one it plays- widescreen or fullscreen.
Old 6th April 2003, 00:03   #3  |  Link
oddyseus

for these two posts I enjoyed most the 2nd signature.
Right on spot Josh.

"when u r aiming for the impossible everything else is within reach." Mike

ps. respect the forum rules, read, search and only then post.
oddyseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2003, 10:22   #4  |  Link
2COOL

@Josh and oddyseus

There may be many ways to find out the Title number but you still need a program like IFoedit to find out what the Title Set that Title resides in. IMO, while you end up using IFOedit, might as well start with viewing it in IFOedit also. Anyways, I was just providing a working method.
Old 6th April 2003, 12:57   #5  |  Link
oddyseus

2Cool there was no intention of an insult of any kind. We all know your level of experience and I personally keep a copy of your subtitles thread handy next to my computer.

However it was a little complicated approach for a relatively simple problem. Don't u think?

Keep up the good work.

"when u r aiming for the impossible everything else is within reach." Mike

ps. respect the forum rules, read, search and only then post.
oddyseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2003, 13:30   #6  |  Link
2COOL

@oddyseus

No problem and thanks for the compliment! I'm really an easy-going guy. I have been backing up DVDs for quite a while now and my collection grows everyday. I tend to keep track of certain working procedures that I habitually use and keep notes of them in Word. Sometimes, a procedure may seem complicated at first but it gets to be second nature after a doing it many times. I'm a point that I don't even look at my scribbly notes anymore on some hex values for certain commands as I have it committed to memory. So, it's nice for people to help me stay grounded and focused on the simple things. Often, I review some of my guides to see how I can break it down into more simpler methods. I find it amazing I have time to write guides, backup my DVDs, and peruse through the forums.
Old 20th April 2003, 17:12   #7  |  Link
Ollie W. Holmes

Re: How to find out which Title and Title Set is for Widescreen/Fullscreen

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
The easiest way for you, as a newbie, to find out which is widescreen or fullscreen is to play the DVD in IFOedit. Open any IFO and press DVD-Play to preview the movie.
Doesn't this require that you have both Titles or PGC's ripped? I thought the intent was to determine from the raw dvd which title or pgc within a title was the 16x9 and which was the 4x3? Use Smartripper to rip an early chapter of each and either play it with windvd, or load the ripped ifo file into ifoedit (which will tell you if it is encoded as 16:9 or 4:3).
Ollie W. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2003, 17:24   #8  |  Link
Josh

I don't think you need to rip anything at all, just try opening one of the vobs off the dvd with Windvd.
Old 28th April 2003, 21:45   #9  |  Link
psxzombie

2COOL,

I just came across your extensive "How-To" guides. Nice work, though I haven't really read all of them.

When reading VIDEO_TS.IFO in Ifoedit, the Titlesets will already tell whether the movie is Fullscreen (4:3) or Widescreen (16:9) without viewing the VOBs.

I guess we have to figure the level of skill of the newbie. Some will be interested in exploring the Titleset info, while others are strictly visual oriented with thte VOBs.

still a newbie,
PSX Zombie
psxzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2003, 14:56   #10  |  Link
titou92

Even if I consider me as a newbie - I bought my DVD tow monthes ago - I'm always interested to have more than one method.
IFOEDIT is a very powerful tool but it's not an esay-to-understand tool ! So astuces like this are always welcome...and easy method useful when I'm not sure I'm understanding the right way.
In conclusion : thank you mister 2Cool for "in depth" method, and thank you the others guys for "easy way" methods.
David
titou92 is offline   Reply With Quote