Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th May 2015, 06:48   #2041  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Yeah looks like a bug in NV's newer drivers.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 10:39   #2042  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Yeah looks like a bug in NV's newer drivers.
Shame, it sped up NNEDI3 16 taps on my HD4000 by over 20%, getting similar performance gains on Nvidia would deliver better performance than madVR (at least on my card)
Still can't recommend it for Intel though it's almost twice as slow as the shader version 'prefer vector & small code'. I would quite like to see what NNEDI3 performance is like on Skylake's GT4e.

Last edited by ryrynz; 8th May 2015 at 10:42.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 12:18   #2043  |  Link
Zachs

Ah it was never meant to speed up NV hardware!
Are you saying MPDN's OpenCL NNEDI3 is slower than madVR on your card? That's not the case on my 560GTX...

Btw I've uploaded the changes to GitHub, reverting only NV's code path.

I'd like to get some feedback on whether AMD users are gaining/losing performance from the changes at all. As for Intel, it is ~20% faster.

Last edited by Zachs; 8th May 2015 at 13:15.
Old 8th May 2015, 13:23   #2044  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Hmm, might have encountered an NVIDIA OpenCL compiler bug there. I don't have access to my 560 GTX at the moment so I think I'll revert the changes until I can fully test it on NV's latest drivers.

EDIT: I tested this on an NV 8400GS with driver v341.44 and it's fully working... What version are you running by the way?
I'm running v350.12 (which uses OpenCL 1.2). Your v341.44 runs OpenCL 1.1 correct? There probably is a good chance that the problem is related to how Nvidia's OpenCL 1.2 and 1.1 differ as opposed to something else in the driver. I wouldn't be surprised if the other people who are encountering the same problem as me are running Nvidia's OpenCL 1.2 as well.

Running it with my Intel 4000 gpu NNEDI3 was still unusable (running at 246ms by itself, and 300ms as part of a script chain with debanding and superchromares).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 8th May 2015 at 13:29.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 13:44   #2045  |  Link
Zachs

Well it won't do 720p on my Intel HD4600 but for lower res upscaling it works just fine. It's those lower res sources that arguably need NNEDI3 more than the higher res ones.
Old 9th May 2015, 02:35   #2046  |  Link
flacattack

Starting with the newer builds (around April 30th), I get a blank screen when trying to use SuperRes with my r9 290x. The other scripts work perfect.

Code:
InvalidArgument=Value of '0' is not valid for 'SelectedIndex'.
Parameter name: SelectedIndex
flacattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 03:03   #2047  |  Link
Shiandow

You probably need to reset SuperRes's settings. There should be a "SuperRes.config" file somewhere, you can just delete that. Or if it's in a script chain you can just remove it and then add it back again.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 04:26   #2048  |  Link
flacattack

Worked like a charm, thank you Shiandow!
flacattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 05:16   #2049  |  Link
ryrynz

Hey Zach, feature request! Reset to defaults!
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 12:50   #2050  |  Link
Zachs

That was always in the plan but it's not that easy. There are a few 'reset to defaults' that I'd like to see - within each render script / player extension, and a global one that resets all of MPDN's config to default as well as one that wipes both MPDN, render scripts and player extensions config. Haven't figured out a way to do that yet...
Old 9th May 2015, 12:52   #2051  |  Link
Zachs

Just a quick heads up. I've added OpenCL NNEDI3 as a prescaler of SuperRes.
You'll need to delete "%localappdata%\MediaPlayerDotNet\RenderScripts.x??\SuperRes.config" again for this option to appear after you've downloaded the new scripts from GitHub.
Old 9th May 2015, 14:25   #2052  |  Link
nekromantik

To upscale anything to 4k is this chain good enough? if not any suggestions.

NNEDI -> SuperChromaRes + NNEDI
nekromantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 04:18   #2053  |  Link
Zachs

I'm not sure I understand your script chain at all.
Specifically what does NNEDI -> SuperChromaRes + NNEDI mean?
Old 10th May 2015, 11:25   #2054  |  Link
nekromantik

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your script chain at all.
Specifically what does NNEDI -> SuperChromaRes + NNEDI mean?
Sorry ignore the + NNEDI.

It goes NNEDI image doubling and then SuperChromaRes upscaling.
Or is SuperRes with NNEDI and then SuperChromaRes better?
Old 10th May 2015, 12:27   #2055  |  Link
Zachs

You have to scale chroma before you can use any render script upscalers. SuperChromaRes has to come before NNEDI in your case. I usually do deband right after chroma upscaling, then followed by NNEDI3 with SuperRes (very low strength). Even when running NNEDI3 with 64 neurons on my gtx680, I still find SuperRes to increase image quality both in sharpening and reducing aliasing.
Old 10th May 2015, 16:26   #2056  |  Link
nekromantik

Quote:
You have to scale chroma before you can use any render script upscalers. SuperChromaRes has to come before NNEDI in your case. I usually do deband right after chroma upscaling, then followed by NNEDI3 with SuperRes (very low strength). Even when running NNEDI3 with 64 neurons on my gtx680, I still find SuperRes to increase image quality both in sharpening and reducing aliasing.
Thanks will give that a go.
Old 11th May 2015, 00:20   #2057  |  Link
Shiandow

Hi there! I made some changes to the renderscripts again, based on the feedback on the MadVR thread and some of things madshi noticed while implementing them.

A short summary:
- Tried to improve the quality of the debanding, it should have less artifacts around edges and might be slightly faster.
- SuperChromaRes now works in rgb, this should improve quality and be slightly faster, although the anti-ringing still needs some work, it'll work correctly, but the performance isn't too good at the moment.
- Some minor performance tweaks / fixes to SuperRes and SuperChromaRes.
- Better defaults for SuperRes and SuperChromaRes.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 00:50   #2058  |  Link
Zachs

Hmm just found out madVR is in violation of the LGPL license (section 4d and/or 4e) - i.e. including the source isn't enough. Section 4d requires that the user be able to modify the LGPL source and have the app run the modified version and/or link to it. MadVR is also in violation of section 4c which requires that it displays a proper copyright notice. The ancillaries required to run those shaders have also been converted to closed source, which is also in violation of LGPL.

On a similar note, it would appear that its NNEDI3 implementation is also in violation of LGPL, as changing the included source in the zip file won't affect madVR's implementation. The original NNEDI3 OpenCL source code by SEt is LGPL and is in full compliance with LGPL.

Last edited by Zachs; 11th May 2015 at 02:10.
Old 11th May 2015, 04:03   #2059  |  Link
Anima123

I hate to mention it, especially in such a circumstance, but, using NEDI with SuperRes via madVR does not suffer from rendering time increasing for my laptop.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 05:29   #2060  |  Link
Zachs

Seeing as no one else with Optimus has seen this problem, could it be something to do with your .NET installation?

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock