Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th September 2013, 22:18   #20141  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Check bitstreaming in Lav audio.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 06:43   #20142  |  Link
dansrfe

Is there a reason why the "1 frame repeat/drop ever X units" may be hours at one point and days at another? What actually determines "X units"? How does ReClock affect this value, if the refresh rate is a multiple of the frame rate and the taskbar icon is green?
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 08:44   #20143  |  Link
Plutotype

Thanks guys, the Reclock is set correctly ( lightning green ) according to this http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1411/ybhj.png
He says, he is loosing around 25 frames in 3 minutes of a 1080p video and the drops are apparent in fast moving scenes. It doesnt look like a madVR issue to me, so I wont spam this thread and try to fix it by checking his PC state and other components during playback.

Last edited by Plutotype; 28th September 2013 at 09:07.
Plutotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 11:40   #20144  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Something I have noticed for a while, but never had the time to chase down the cause of, is that black level is always slightly raised when using madVR - it would never fade to black, and I had to reduce brightness by one or two steps further than should be necessary, sacrificing some shadow detail.

It turns out that the cause is madVR's dithering.
Would it be possible to disable dithering for black, or maybe even the lowest 1% of the signal, rather than having to disable dithering entirely?
madVR processes in high bitdepth. At the end of the processing chain, some pixels might have 8bit values of 0.1/0.1/0.1, while others have 0.0/0.0/0.0. If I don't apply dither to the 0.0/0.0/0.0 pixels, quantization noise might creep back in and damage image quality in dark scenes.

It is true that dithering hurts black levels (and white level, for that matter) a tiny bit, but at the moment there's nothing I can do about that. Oh well, I could detect a full black/white frame and behave differently, but that would cost quite some additional performance. In the long run I hope to be able to replace dithering with error diffusion. That should take care of the problem. However, this will only be possible (if at all) by using OpenCL or CUDA, and that is still some time away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Do I need to restart the PC/notebook when changing levels using madNvLevelsTweaker? Has Nvidia addressed the RGB Full/Limited levels issue ( missing full-limited instant selection )? I dont have a Nvidia GPU to test it, sorry.
Yes, a reboot is necessary, and no NVidia hasn't changed anything, AFAIK.

Quote:
Other question I need to get answer is - how much GPU intensive is 3D LUT processing on your GPU using madVR? Will this be a non issue on a Intel HD4400 and a i7 Haswell CPU?
It costs performance, but it works well enough on my HD4000 with 1080p24 movies. Haven't tested 1080p60 playback with 3dlut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrkuth View Post
I update my OS (Windows 8.1 Pro), I have same problem again.
It works for me. Which GPU do you have? Are you using the latest madVR build? If so, create a debug log, zip it and upload it somewhere and I'll have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
I already placed the drain on the video window host (with or without the drain, there is no changes).
You need to place the drain on madVR. And the thread which owns the window which you've used for the drain must be quick to react to changes, if you don't want delays in mouse/keyboard handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian View Post
It seems the same issue (the lines/blurring close to the picture frame border) is also visible when using EVR. It's present on both my computer (AMD HD 7950) and my projector (HTPC with AMD A10-5700 iGPU).

It seems that it isn't a madVR specific problem, but do you have any ideas what could be causing it?
Quote:
It will be the source material. A lot of SD content has this problem, and even some HD content.
I agree with 6233638, I think these ringing artifacts are most likely already in the source. The only thing you could do is use avisynth processing to try to remove the artifacts. avisynth is not too easy to setup for an avisynth unexperienced user, unfortunately.

Quote:
Hi guys,
a friend of mine cant get his madVR/MPC-HC/LAV/reclock setup right. He has an Core i7 desktop CPU, GTX780 GPU and gets this:
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2907/0uxn.jpg

We cant track down the reasons for the dropped frames. What else would you check?
It's weird that you have both dropped and repeated frames, and so many of them. I'd suggest to try resetting Reclock's timing database. If that doesn't help, try without Reclock. If that still doesn't help, you could upload a debug log for me to look at. You're using LAV for splitting & decoding, I suppose?

Also make sure you have no other software running which might use the GPU. Might even be the browser.

-------

Next madVR build is going to have some goodies for you guys. Will take a while until it will be released, though. Here's one new feature:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1645630#post1645630
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 11:48   #20145  |  Link
James Freeman

Is there any way to use ICC Color Profiles (like MPC-HC does natively) without converting to 3D LUT?

I tried to convert my profile using Argyll+DispcalGUI, and with TI3 Parser but with no success,
both of them show some crazy windows errors with red X in them.

I calibrate my monitor (Dell U2410 in sRGB mode) with i1 Display Pro to create an ICC profile.

In madVR in the Calibration settings:
I see NO difference between "Disable calibration controls for this display"
and "This display is already calibrated" with BT.709, pure power curve 2.20.
Gamma Processing works just the same.

The problem is when I switch to a wider gamut option in my display I have no way to use my calibration profile.
Again, Is there any way to use ICC Color Profiles (like MPC-HC does natively) without converting to 3D LUT?
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 12:06   #20146  |  Link
StephaneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You need to place the drain on madVR. And the thread which owns the window which you've used for the drain must be quick to react to changes, if you don't want delays in mouse/keyboard handling.
I'm not sure I know how to put the drain on madVR ?

This is what I'm doing for now :

Code:
playbackGraph.AddFilter(CommonFilter.MadshiVideoRenderer, "evr");
.../... (Building Graph : adding filters connecting pins)
IVideoWindow videoWindow = playbackGraph.GraphBuilder.GetInterface<IVideoWindow>();
result = videoWindow.put_Owner(videoFrame.VideoHwnd);
result = videoWindow.put_MessageDrain(videoFrame.VideoHwnd);
result = videoWindow.SetWindowPosition(0, 0, (int)videoFrame.WindowSize.Width, (int)videoFrame.WindowSize.Height);
result = videoWindow.put_WindowStyle(DSWindowStyle.Child | DSWindowStyle.Visible | DSWindowStyle.ClipSiblings);
The "videoFrame" is a WPF Control which hosts the WindowsFormsHost, this host does have a Window, this is this window handle that is exposed through videoFrame.VideoHwnd and forwarded to madVR (with put_Owner)

This window is created on the WPF UI thread (I have no other choices), while madVR is created on a dedicated thread (STA or MTA, with message pumping)

Quote:
Next madVR build is going to have some goodies for you guys
This debanding feature is very nice. Thanks.
StephaneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 12:17   #20147  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
It's an HX900.

When dither is enabled, a black signal is displayed as a mixture of 1 and 0, which activates the backlight at a very low level. It's still very dark, and was difficult to photograph at all, which is why I have the camera at a sharp angle to the TV like that. Any photos I took looking straight on at the TV were just black.

If you're in a dark room and sit off to the side of the TV, you should be able to see it with the 920 as well, unless they have changed their local dimming algorithms, allowing it to clip the lowest signal levels. Or it may be that you have brightness set to a level which clips the lowest levels.
I guess your eyes are exteremely good.

Anyway I did a simple test and 3 images were taken for the comparison. The 1st one is regular lighting room condition. The 2nd one is the paused video at totally dark scene with mouse cursor moving around. The 3rd one is the same video w/o mouse cursor. The latter 2 photos were taken with ISO100 / 30sec / F1.4 setting. The camera is Panasonic GF2 + Leica DG 25mm.

The GPU is HD7970 with 1920x1080p24 10-bit color mode signal to 65HX920. Video source is BD, MadVR setting is with Jinc3 AR, dithering ON, FSE. But I don't know if the GPU driver's 8-bit to 10-bit LUT (or even dithering?) could lead the different result... ?

Yet it is confirmed LEDs will be shut-off entirely at the dark-zones of the 2nd one - just like the 3rd attached image.

The 2nd one does show some light bleeding (more obvious at bottom of the panel) while it is not seen on the 3rd one. It can also observed by my eyes observing from the same off-angle. But I think it is the panel's design characteristics -- might be diffuser film related limitation.

Anyway 65HX920's Innolux S-MVA panel, local dimming control, Corning Gorilla class seems to perform better than HX900's Sharp panel + glass (according to some reviews).
Attached Images

pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 17:35   #20148  |  Link

Quote:
madVR processes in high bitdepth. At the end of the processing chain, some pixels might have 8bit values of 0.1/0.1/0.1, while others have 0.0/0.0/0.0. If I don't apply dither to the 0.0/0.0/0.0 pixels, quantization noise might creep back in and damage image quality in dark scenes.

It is true that dithering hurts black levels (and white level, for that matter) a tiny bit, but at the moment there's nothing I can do about that. Oh well, I could detect a full black/white frame and behave differently, but that would cost quite some additional performance. In the long run I hope to be able to replace dithering with error diffusion. That should take care of the problem. However, this will only be possible (if at all) by using OpenCL or CUDA, and that is still some time away...
I suppose I'll just have to disable dither for now then. It may not matter on panels with with less than perfect black level, but on a local dimming LED set, my only option is to reduce brightness and clip the lowest levels, or disable dithering and retain that shadow detail. It's the difference between a zone switching off, and always staying on at a low level.

Quote:
Next madVR build is going to have some goodies for you guys. Will take a while until it will be released, though. Here's one new feature:

Looks promising! I assume there will be a new tag so it can be selectively enabled/disabled?
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 18:50   #20149  |  Link
James Freeman

Anyone use the BT.709 Gamma profiles, and think they look like they got elevated blacks and too low gamma (1.95)?

That's because 709 gamma specs are for Encoding ONLY !!!
NOT for calibrating displays, period.

The film you are watching or a recording from a video camera is probably is already encoded with a standard 709 gamma.
If its a professional Hollywood film aka (Blu Ray), its 100% encoded with rec.709 gamma curve.
The Rec.709 gamma curve is encoded into the Camera while filming (or converted to in the studio).

Your Display calibration should be a Pure Power Curve of 2.2 to 2.4.

Again,

The Rec.709 Standard refers to Encoding Only.
The resulting video should be watched on a Pure Power Curve gamma display like a CRT or LCD.

Why you ask?
The 709 encoding gamma curve is designed to reduce the blacks below 1.8% of luminance to remove digital Camera noise.
When we use the Inverse curve for calibrating displays (which we absolutely should NOT), we get elevated blacks below 1.8%, a gamma of 1.96, and a lower Contrast Ratio.
When viewing a 709 encoded video on a properly calibrated monitor with a power curve of 2.2 to 2.4, these blacks (below 1.8%) are blacker than
an encoded video with a pure power curve gamma of 0.45 or 0.50 (like with older SD NTSC standard).
All this to eliminate the noise at the lower blacks 6233638 saw few posts ago, although not because of the same reason.

Everything falls into place for our enjoyment of video watching.

Quote:
While there may be several problems here, you're getting a few things confused. Rec.709's "overall gamma of 1.9" is in the encoding curve.
A problem with rec.709 has been that the spec only includes the encoding curve (what the camera uses to translate linear light into the spec's color space).
This curve is not relevant for monitors. You'll want to calibrate your monitor somewhere between Gamma 2.2 and 2.4 to display video correctly.
When you say "sRGB Gamma 2.2", I assume you're referring to sRGB primaries and a Gamma 2.2 curve, which is correct, since sRGB and rec.709 primaries are identical.
Quote:
Again, if your calibration software is offering "gamma 2.2" and "gamma 2.4" as an alternative to "rec.709", then they're referring to the gamma curve, and you should use 2.2 or 2.4.
Many calibration systems sadly don't understand that the rec.709 curve is not suitable for anything but encoding and should not be given even as an option for monitor calibration.

Question: Why madshi included BT.709 Display Gamma into MadVR?

Hope this helps to clarify my confusion.

Last edited by James Freeman; 28th September 2013 at 19:25.
Old 28th September 2013, 19:16   #20150  |  Link
PetitDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
....If its a professional Hollywood film aka (DVD, Blu Ray), its 100% encoded with rec.709 gamma curve....
Are you sure? Genius!

PetitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 19:18   #20151  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitDragon View Post
Are you sure? Genius!

No, I'll fix it.

It may very well be Rec.601, with encoded power curve of 0.45 in the camera.
For an End-to-End gamma of 1.125 (0.45 *CRT Gamma 2.5).

Last edited by James Freeman; 28th September 2013 at 19:25.
Old 28th September 2013, 20:13   #20152  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Is there any way to use ICC Color Profiles (like MPC-HC does natively) without converting to 3D LUT?

I tried to convert my profile using Argyll+DispcalGUI, and with TI3 Parser but with no success,
both of them show some crazy windows errors with red X in them.
No, but Argyll is now able to generate 3DLUTs directly with great flexibility. See the Argyll doc and this thread for instructions.

Quote:
Anyone use the BT.709 Gamma profiles, and think they look like they got elevated blacks and too low gamma (1.95)?

That's because 709 gamma specs are for Encoding ONLY !!!
NOT for calibrating displays, period.
That's correct. ITU-R BT.709 only defines an opto-electronic transfer function, as opposed to an electro-optical transfer function.

Quote:
Not quite. Ideally it should follow the ITU-R BT.1886 specification, which is the new standard for video displays. This specification does not specify a pure power curve (at least not for displays with imperfect black), it specifies a custom curve with a well-defined electro-optical transfer function.

Quote:
That's a good question. Display gamma suffered from much confusion until ITU-R BT.1886 cleared everything up for us. Ideally madshi should remove BT.709 from the gamma options (because it is confusing and doesn't actually make sense) and add BT.1886 support, but that's a feature request, and last time I checked madshi isn't accepting feature requests right now. In the mean time, it is possible to use BT.1886 by generating a 3DLUT with Argyll.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 20:40   #20153  |  Link
cvrkuth

I update my OS (Windows 8.1 Pro), I have same problem again.
I noticed that when playing 1080p24 (mkv, m2ts, ts .. full screen exclusive mode, default settings) my screen goes to 23hz. Because of this, there is a drop frames every 30-40 sec.

If I uncheck 'Present Several frames in advance "(old path), my screen stays in 24hz.

Quote:
It works for me. Which GPU do you have? Are you using the latest madVR build? If so, create a debug log, zip it and upload it somewhere and I'll have a look.
Log file here.
I have Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 Ultimate 1GB,
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz, RAM 8 Gb
Panasonic TX-P42G20E, Catalyst™ 13.9
Win8.1 Pro x64, JRiver Media Center 18 Ver. 18.0.212, madVR v0.86.11

Last edited by cvrkuth; 28th September 2013 at 20:56.
cvrkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2013, 20:45   #20154  |  Link

Quote:
Your display should be calibrate to BT.1886, which adjusts the gamma curve based on the capabilities of your display.

If your display has 10,000:1 native contrast or greater, you should be using a straight 2.4 power curve.

Quote:
Because people requested it. And it can work reasonably well if people are still using CRTs without external LUT correction. (the 3DLUT support doesn't allow for enough customization for CRTs)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 05:59   #20155  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Here's one new feature:

One less essential filter active in Avisynth, awesome.

Some questions:
Will it have values that can be adjusted?
Will the deband be done before or after resizing? And have you compared quality of deband before and after resizing?
What's the general performance impact?
Will there be a an HQ mode at all?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 06:00   #20156  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Not quite. Ideally it should follow the REC-BT.1886 specification,
Quote:
Your display should be calibrate to BT.1886, which adjusts the gamma curve based on the capabilities of your display.

Thank you for clarifing this.

In the Rec. ITU-R BT.1886, Appendix 1,
Its called EOTF-CRT matching.

I calibrate with Argyll+DispCalGUI, I think Black output offset setting which is 100% offset correction for LCDs and 0% for CRT monitors.

EDIT: Apparently to calibrate to the BT.1886 standard, "Black output offset" should be set to 0 with Gamma of 2.4.
I'll try it tonight and report back.
End of Edit.

This corrects higher output black response (around 0.1 cd/m2) of an LCD in relation to the input to get a more accurate calibration.
Meaning: No crushed blacks, simmilar to an CRT curve, and maximum Contrast Ratio that an LCD capable of.

A BT.709 ecncoding curve is closer to 0.51 (1.96).

0.51 * 2.2 = 1.122 Its already darker than a linear representation.
0.51 * 2.4 = 1.224 Even darker.

According to Rec. ITU-R BT.1886,
The recommended gamma should be set around 2.4.
But I find the end-to-end gamma of 1.22 (2.4) is a little too dark.
When watching movies I sense 2.2 is just right (darkened room), sometimes around 2.0 is even better for shdow detail (with the lights On).

Thanks.

Last edited by James Freeman; 29th September 2013 at 09:24.
Old 29th September 2013, 06:43   #20157  |  Link
baii

Hi, I just tried the CRU recommend few pages ago, and my u2711 finally seem to able to do 23/24 hz

madvr report 23 and 24 as well, just curious, is it possible that the monitor scaler scale the 23/24 hz into 60hz? Or what is reported by madvr or reclock is definitely right?

Sorry for kind of OP.
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 10:38   #20158  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
In the Rec. ITU-R BT.1886, Appendix 1,
Its called EOTF-CRT matching.
No. Appendix 1 is not a normative section. It's only for people who have special needs and want to precisely match a CRT response. What you should be following is the function in Annex 1, which is the normative section.

Quote:
I calibrate with Argyll+DispCalGUI, I think Black output offset setting which is 100% offset correction for LCDs and 0% for CRT monitors.

EDIT: Apparently to calibrate to the BT.1886 standard, "Black output offset" should be set to 0 with Gamma of 2.4.
I'll try it tonight and report back.
End of Edit.
The BT.1886 function is not equivalent to simple black compensation. Argyll has dedicated options for applying BT.1886.

Quote:
According to Rec. ITU-R BT.1886,
The recommended gamma should be set around 2.4.
But I find the end-to-end gamma of 1.22 (2.4) is a little too dark.
When watching movies I sense 2.2 is just right (darkened room), sometimes around 2.0 is even better for shdow detail (with the lights On).
No. You're confusing technical gamma (i.e. the γ parameter in the BT.1886 specification) and effective gamma (that is, the pure power curve gamma that best approximates BT.1886). With typical LCD screens, the BT.1886 function with γ=2.4 is actually closer to a pure power curve with γ=2.2.

Last edited by e-t172; 29th September 2013 at 10:52.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 12:15   #20159  |  Link
n2k3

Since early this month I've been having blue screens (3 total now) and I think it's related to madVR.
The blue screens happened when I dragged my video window downwards, so that some of the lower part of the window is below the taskbar (off screen),
within a second a blue screen happens with the following error: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
The blue screens always have the same error (if you want I can upload the minidump(s) Windows made) but don't happen every time I drag my video window below the taskbar, only sometimes.

I'm using MPC-HC v1.7.0.7771 x86 in combination with madVR v0.86.10 (with Windowed Overlay enabled), and my OS is Windows 7 x64 - SP1
If you want more information on this matter, tell me what you need, and I'll be happy to provide.
n2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 13:05   #20160  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
No. Appendix 1 is not a normative section. It's only for people who have special needs and want to precisely match a CRT response. What you should be following is the function in Annex 1, which is the normative section..
Right, sorry for that.
Annex 1 is the standard.
Appendix 1 is the alternative.

Quote:
The BT.1886 function is not equivalent to simple black compensation. Argyll has dedicated options for applying BT.1886.
Setting a Gamme of 2.4 with "Absolute" option (instead of Relative).
Black Output Offset to 0.
WILL give an exact BT.1886 gamma curve.

I quote the text of argyll:

"Note that using all input offset (degree == 0.0) is equivalent to the use of the BT.1886 transfer function."
"Use "-G2.4 -f0" for BT.1886"

Quote:
No. You're confusing technical gamma (i.e. the γ parameter in the BT.1886 specification) and effective gamma (that is, the pure power curve gamma that best approximates BT.1886). With typical LCD screens, the BT.1886 function with γ=2.4 is actually closer to a pure power curve with γ=2.2
Right, sorry again.
After reading the Argyll text,
This is what Absolute vs Relative gamma does in Argyll.
An Absolute gamma of 2.4 will NOT be 2.4 after taking the black offset of 0 into account, it will be lower as you've already stated.
Also I have tried the BT.1886 calculator offered at the AVSforum and with my display (U2410, Contrast of 850:1)
it practically does not matter what gamma I put into it, the result is almost always around 2.2.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling