Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2008, 23:55   #3821  |  Link
BlackJack1

Short question: is 1536kbps set always as default when I'll not put -1536 switch in "track_id: audio.dts" string?
Old 14th March 2008, 00:27   #3822  |  Link
nautilus7

Yes, it is. As 640 is the default for ac3.
Old 14th March 2008, 00:43   #3823  |  Link
BlackJack1

Thanks for reply nautilus7
another one: do I need Nero decoder and HD Nero plugin for convert TrueHD 5.1 track from EVO file to dts?
Old 14th March 2008, 00:58   #3824  |  Link
bmnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
Thanks for reply nautilus7
another one: do I need Nero decoder and HD Nero plugin for convert TrueHD 5.1 track from EVO file to dts?
No, the built-in libav decoder produces the exact same results as Nero for TrueHD.
Old 14th March 2008, 01:26   #3825  |  Link
BlackJack1

OK. I just did my first EVO to mkv process with dts sound.
All passed OK but... unfortunately picture looks like washed out, not so sharp... I'm playing it using KMPlayer with ffdshow decoder. I've got ESiRs x263 encode and it looks far better! Do you know why? My mkv is pure source VC-1 and not encode... so can anybody explain me why please...?
Old 14th March 2008, 08:30   #3826  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
btw. was there any (documented or undocumented) switch or anything which I need for equilibriums strange video timestamps additionally?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
OK. I just did my first EVO to mkv process with dts sound.
All passed OK but... unfortunately picture looks like washed out, not so sharp... I'm playing it using KMPlayer with ffdshow decoder. I've got ESiRs x263 encode and it looks far better! Do you know why? My mkv is pure source VC-1 and not encode... so can anybody explain me why please...?
Which movie is this?

The reencodes are often using sharpening filters to make the reencoding look more pleasing to some people's eyes at a first quick glance. That's what you may be seeing here. As a result many 720p reencodes appear to be sharper than the 1080p original on a quick check. However, the detail level is usually lower. And when you apply a good sharpening filter to the 1080p original, it usually beats the reencoding easily. While if you add the same sharpening filter on top of the reencoding, it looks awful because it was already sharpened...

Some people actually prefer the look of the (good) reencodes over the originals. However, the bigger your screen is, the more you'll probably like the original over the reencoding cause the detail level is higher...

P.S: That said, some movies are so soft in their original that there's nothing lost when reencoding them even to 720p. In such cases reencodes can easily match the originals. However, you always need to be aware of that the reencodings are just that: Reencodings of the originals with maybe some clever post processing added on top of them. If you have e.g. a good projector with e.g. a Realta HQV or Gennum VXP chip in them, you can sharpen the originals on the fly in realtime, if you like that look.

Last edited by madshi; 14th March 2008 at 08:33.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:36   #3827  |  Link
qyqgpower

I encountered a strange problem in a HDDVD title with TrueHD audio : Vexille - 2077

there are two EVO files for main movie: L0_MainMovie.EVO and L1_MainMovie.EVO

using eac3to to demux the first EVO, encode thd to flac, everything went fine.

but when encoding the thd file from the second EVO, eac3to says:
TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 48khz
[libav] No restart header present in substream 0.
The libav decoder reported an error while decoding.

then I tried to remux both EVO to one mkv, after a period of time(encoding audio tracks of the first EVO), the same happened:

eac3to L0_MainMovie.EVO+L1_MainMovie.EVO muxed.mkv
EVO, 1 video track, 3 audio tracks, 1:49:48
1: Joined EVO file
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 48khz, dialnorm: -29dB, -83ms
4: RAW/PCM, 2.0 channels, 16 bits, 48khz, -83ms
5: RAW/PCM, 2.0 channels, 16 bits, 48khz, -83ms
Extracting primary video track...
Extracting audio track number 5...
Extracting audio track number 4...
Reading RAW/PCM...
Muxing video to Matroska...
Reading RAW/PCM...
Swapping endian...
Swapping endian...
Applying RAW/PCM delay...
Encoding FLAC...
Encoding FLAC...
Extracting audio track number 3...
Removing dialog normalization...
This audio track contains more than 16 bit of information.
Encoding FLAC...
Creating/writing file "audiotrack 1.24bit.flac"...
Creating/writing file "audiotrack 2.flac"...
Creating/writing file "audiotrack 3.flac"...
[libav] No restart header present in substream 0.
The libav decoder reported an error while decoding.

I tried tsMuxeR 1.4.6, it couldn't even recognize the TrueHD and 2 LPCM audio tracks. tsremux 0.0.20 also failed to open the EVO. EVOdemux managed to demux the TrueHD track("rebuild" gives me a huge garbage EVO), but eac3to threw the same error after some encoding(so again failed in second part)

I can confirm EVO itself is free from error. So is there any method left to try?
Old 14th March 2008, 16:47   #3828  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Try demuxing it again. Sounds like a bad rip.
Old 14th March 2008, 17:06   #3829  |  Link
BlackJack1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Which movie is this?.
Training Day

Quote:
And when you apply a good sharpening filter to the 1080p original, it usually beats the reencoding easily.
Do you know good sharpening filter I can use?
I need to do something with colors on this movie because they are look washed out.
BTW source playing using PowerDVD looks very good.... mayby ffdshow codecs and wrong renderer i used in KMPlayer...?
Old 14th March 2008, 17:31   #3830  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I always use ffdshows sharpening and im quite happy with it. just beware that you need some additional cpu power for it. still, I can play almost all sources with my c2d @2.8GHz with sharpening, only for some I need to overclock further to 3.2 (e.g. band of brothers, babel, ghost in the shell and some other AVC movies with high bitrate)
Old 14th March 2008, 17:37   #3831  |  Link
BlackJack1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
I always use ffdshows sharpening and im quite happy with it. just beware that you need some additional cpu power for it. still, I can play almost all sources with my c2d @2.8GHz with sharpening, only for some I need to overclock further to 3.2 (e.g. band of brothers, babel, ghost in the shell and some other AVC movies with high bitrate)
And what kind of soft. player are you using and what renderer?

Other question: can I make flac or dts audio from BD rip on HDD?

Last edited by BlackJack1; 14th March 2008 at 20:28.
Old 14th March 2008, 19:05   #3832  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

media player classic and haali renderer
Old 14th March 2008, 21:59   #3833  |  Link
act.anon

I have another messy evo that seems to stump eac3to:

Quote:
D:\utilities\eac3to230>eac3to "E:\test.EVO" 1: "D:\test.mkv" 2: "D:\test.ac3"
EVO, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 1:39:19
1: h264/AVC, 1440x1080 30p /1.001 (16:9)
2: AC3, 5.1 channels, 384kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Extracting primary video track...
Extracting audio track number 2...
Removing dialog normalization...
Muxing video to Matroska...
Creating/writing file "D:\test.ac3"...
----------------------This EVO file contains authoring faults. Will try to work around that.
This doesn't seem to be a valid EVO file.
This doesn't seem to be a valid EVO file.
Error occurs mid-file, so here is the full file:
link (rename to .evo)
Old 14th March 2008, 22:54   #3834  |  Link
Sephiroth0000

Right I am ripping audio from HD DVD and the E-AC3 applys the audio delay it has found for the EVO but my question is when I extract the audio to AC3 from the EAC3TO audio do I have to reapply the audio delay?
Old 14th March 2008, 23:14   #3835  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth0000 View Post
Right I am ripping audio from HD DVD and the E-AC3 applys the audio delay it has found for the EVO but my question is when I extract the audio to AC3 from the EAC3TO audio do I have to reapply the audio delay?
I have yet to be forced to apply any manual delays using eac3to ripping the audio to AC3 and using eac3to for the MKV. I usually compress the resulting MKV and use the calculated frames from eac3to in my AVIsynth script. So far no synch issues.
Old 14th March 2008, 23:20   #3836  |  Link
Sephiroth0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post
I have yet to be forced to apply any manual delays using eac3to ripping the audio to AC3 and using eac3to for the MKV. I usually compress the resulting MKV and use the calculated frames from eac3to in my AVIsynth script. So far no synch issues.
I am ripping EVO to MKV video only file and then ripping the audio to AC3 then running MKVMerge and muxin the two in then putting through MKV2VOB to make it PS3 compatiable. But you say there is no need to apply the delay?
Old 14th March 2008, 23:41   #3837  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
I am ripping EVO to MKV video only file and then ripping the audio to AC3 then running MKVMerge and muxin the two in then putting through MKV2VOB to make it PS3 compatiable. But you say there is no need to apply the delay?
I am doing much the same thing. Much of the difference is that I compress my video with x264 using meGUI. I do not use MKV2VOB and cannot comment on anything it might introduce. I can tell you that when I've not compressed and simply muxed the audio and video together with MKVMerge I've not needed to add any delay.

P.S. madshi I can hardly wait for you to tackle BD as you have HD-DVD video. So far nothing I'm trying is working out well and your tool has made HD-DVD VERY easy to work with!

Last edited by BLKMGK; 14th March 2008 at 23:49.
Old 15th March 2008, 00:00   #3838  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

usually if there is a delay its listed after all other information of that audio track. so if theres nothing written, then no delay is needed for that movie. and afaik when demuxing or converting the audio from the .evo source then eac3to adds or substracts the delay needed automatically already (should be indicated by a message like "applying (e)ac3 delay" or something like that).
Old 15th March 2008, 00:51   #3839  |  Link
Usa1955

Is it possible with or with help of eAC3to to convert "WMA 6ch" to some AC3 or DTS stream?
Old 15th March 2008, 01:12   #3840  |  Link
Yraen

Quote:
If you're taking the audio from the EVO then there is no need to apply the delay.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to