Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 8th July 2005, 20:25   #281  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

To #275 ^:

Maybe this might help? http://www.codeproject.com/file/isvalidfilename.asp
Old 9th July 2005, 01:11   #282  |  Link
Beave

Quote:
I don't know how a compcheck works so I need somebdy to lay it out for me. Give me the specs and I'll tell you if I can and will do it. But since it's not a feature I consider useful (I know it's in my guides but I have never personally used it for my own purposes, ever), all you can potentially expect from me in this matter is coding.. not the "figuring out how it works and specify the workflow" work. But bring it here and we'll see.
OK, basicly it encodes a certain percentage of the video (usually 1-5%) with a fixed quant and generates the probable size for the whole movie. This way you can easily see how well compresseble it is when comparing to the final desired filesize.
I would suggest an extra window for that. There should be a box to put in the percentage for the comptest. A box for the desired filesize and for the bitrate (radio button style, so that only one can be selected). A config button to choose the x264 settings. Then you would take the input avs add a line to it (selectevery(300,15) for example, depending on the given percentage) and start the test.
Quote:
Why is it confusing? You're configuring the second pass.. MeGUI does the rest when it's time. It's not like the first pass configuration is just out there.. it has to be generated manually and that code doesn't belong into the commandline generation.
When I select "turbo" it shows partly the settings of the second pass, but changes some settings to reflect the ones from the first pass.
Quote:
I have no idea what you mean by that.
ProjectX is a software that takes input files like TS Transport Streams and demuxes them to .m2v and .ac3 or to another TS. While doing that it corrects errors to keep video and audio in sync.
I'd love to see a on click version for that. Taking a .ts file running it through ProjectX, then making a d2v file, then creating an avs with desired resolution and encoding it to .mp4. But maybe there isn't much demand for that?
Old 9th July 2005, 01:22   #283  |  Link
Beave

Quote:
The higher the bitrate, the more data that has to be decoded, hence why it produces more load. Noise reduction filters make the video easy to encode, reducing the bitrate and so reducing playback load.
When I encode a movie to a desired filesize the overall bitrate doesn't change. If the movie is more compressible the codec will just do a better job in compressing it. But how should that effect the playback performance? My guess is, it doesn't use that much "tricks" to encode so that playback doesn't need to decode all those "tricks". But shouldn't those "tricks" use the settings in the config? If I choose CABAC or 8x8dct or bframes playback should suffer, but not if the movie is less compressible. In that case it should only look worse, but use the same cpu load on playback.
Sorry for bringing this up in this thread. It only has slightly to do with MeGUI.
Old 9th July 2005, 01:28   #284  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
When I select "turbo" it shows partly the settings of the second pass, but changes some settings to reflect the ones from the first pass.
Which ones? I don't reacall turbo changing anything.. it shouldn't.

Don't you have a whole bunch of other things that need to be done with digital TV streams? Like cutting. That's definitely no job for MeGUI.. it's a video and audio encoding application.
Old 9th July 2005, 02:14   #285  |  Link
Beave

I posted a screenshot. It shows different settings when selecting turbo in the commandline. Notice the subme=1 part. In the GUI there is number of reference frames = 3 selected.

Last edited by Beave; 26th February 2006 at 13:27.
Old 9th July 2005, 02:18   #286  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I posted a screenshot. okay.. I got it.
This will actually happen in every codec that has turbo.. the problem is that in automated mode you have your second/third pass settings and the turbo flag that belongs to the first pass. When creating the jobs, the two are separated.. but that's only done when adding jobs to the queue. I'll remove the turbo flag for the commandline generation in the next version. if you set encoding mode to 2nd/3rd pass you'll see what you get in automated encoding mode (the two changes that are made when adding the job is setting the mode to second/third pass and removing the turbo flag)
Old 9th July 2005, 03:28   #287  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH
To #275 ^:

Maybe this might help? http://www.codeproject.com/file/isvalidfilename.asp
thanks for the link, I just rewrote my routine based on this, in optimized basic it looks like this

Code:
    Public Shared Function IsValidFileSystemName(ByVal name As String) As Boolean
        For i As Integer = 0 To name.Length - 1
            Dim charValue As Char = name.Chars(i)

Select Case charValue
                Case """"c, "*"c, "/"c, ":"c, "<"c, ">"c, "?"c, "\"c, "|"c
                    Return False
            End Select

If AscW(charValue) < 32 Then
                Return False
            End If
        Next

Return True
    End Function
translated to C# with Reflector:

Code:
public static bool IsValidFileSystemName(string name)
{
      int num2 = name.Length - 1;
      for (int num1 = 0; num1 <= num2; num1++)
      {
            char ch1 = name[num1];
            char ch2 = ch1;
            if (((((ch2 == '"') || (ch2 == '*')) || (ch2 == '/')) || ((ch2 == ':') || (ch2 == '<'))) || (((ch2 == '>') || (ch2 == '?')) || ((ch2 == '\\') || (ch2 == '|'))))
            {
                  return false;
            }
            if (ch1 < ' ')
            {
                  return false;
            }
      }
      return true;
}
Microsoft has a internal method that don't follow this rules exactly, it throws an exception and can be seen with Reflector and accessed with Reflection:

Code:
GetType(System.IO.Path).InvokeMember("CheckInvalidPathChars", _
    Reflection.BindingFlags.InvokeMethod Or _
    Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic Or _
    Reflection.BindingFlags.Static, _
    Nothing, Nothing, New String() {"filename"})
Old 9th July 2005, 05:16   #288  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Don't you have a whole bunch of other things that need to be done with digital TV streams? Like cutting. That's definitely no job for MeGUI.. it's a video and audio encoding application.
You've got a video preview and AviSynth script maker, these could be used to add cutting, it don't require much or sophisticated code I think. There was just a topic about a AC3 cutting tool that would be handy for this. Tools like ProjectX and Cuttermaran that are slow or don't support keys or lack features in general do the cutting job rather poor.
Old 9th July 2005, 05:39   #289  |  Link
berrinam

Cutting can be done with the current apps that MeGUI requires -- video cutting is easy and frame-accurate with AviSynth (trim command), and BeSweet can cut audio, I believe.
Old 9th July 2005, 08:21   #290  |  Link
lesnick

Help please - sometimes I need to recode very quickly, certainly I use mencoder for this purpose, prompt me, what options are desirable for the maximal speed. (though on mine celeron 1.7 it likely is ridiculous)
Old 9th July 2005, 08:52   #291  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@ stax:

Great!

One of my most important problems with new programming languages being learned is: How is that function named, which will do what I want - and does it already exist at all, or do I have to write myself? Syntax can be learned in a snap, but the "word pool / vocabulary" is often sooooo different... you are lost without well referenced help.
Old 9th July 2005, 11:15   #292  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Cutting can be done with the current apps that MeGUI requires -- video cutting is easy and frame-accurate with AviSynth (trim command)
I meant that our applications generate those Trim commands, I've done cutting in DVX with VirtualDub script and in AVSEdit with AviSynth Trim commands, in Stax Media Encoder both will be supported VirtualDub and AviSynth cutting.

@LigH

If you learn .NET I highly recommend to use Visual Studio 2005, the Express Beta Versions are free and work very well (until May 2006) and will be very cheap (50$) after that. They are designed for beginners. I use VS 2005 Express exclusively and many new features like generics extensively, there are tons of really cool new features though a beginner much likely struggles with the basics.

Last edited by stax76; 9th July 2005 at 11:52.
Old 9th July 2005, 11:40   #293  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Alright, so video cutting could be done easily.. and be analogue to zones. But what about audio? You cannot cut audio at an arbitrary position, it needs to be aligned with an audio frame or you'll get corrupt audio. And say we're using AC3 audio and incurr an almost 30ms delay (size of an audio frame) for each cut.. the audio would get way off base.

And I wasn't aware that besweet supported audio cutting.. I thought that was something for besplit.

I wrote my own filename code similar to the above, but it returns a string with a valid filename. I replace all invalid character by _<2 letter shortcut to the invalid char>_, so for instance * turns into _st_, < turns into _lt_, etc. I think it's reasonable to assume that users will not have a profile using such convention and another one using the invalid character so that there'll be two files named the same.

@lesnick: select 2 pass first pass, check turbo, check the commandline. Basically it's no MV options, subq 1, the lowest me method. But, if you use that for the second pass quality will be visibly degraded. Plus, perhaps you're using one of the other 3 codecs <hint>it is important to tell us right when asking the question exactly what it is you want</hint>
Old 9th July 2005, 11:56   #294  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Alright, so video cutting could be done easily.. and be analogue to zones. But what about audio? You cannot cut audio at an arbitrary position, it needs to be aligned with an audio frame or you'll get corrupt audio. And say we're using AC3 audio and incurr an almost 30ms delay (size of an audio frame) for each cut.. the audio would get way off base.
wave would be fine for my captures which AviSynth can Trim, other formats I have to investigate first
Old 9th July 2005, 12:02   #295  |  Link
lesnick

meGUI 0.2.1.1 was crashed if push "config" for XVID
-----------------------------------------
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at MeGUI.CommandLineGenerator.generateXviDCommandline(String mencoderPath, xvidSettings xs, String input, String output)
at MeGUI.CommandLineGenerator.generateVideoCommandline(MeGUISettings settings, VideoCodecSettings vSettings, String input, String output)
at MeGUI.xvidConfigurationDialog.showCommandLine()
at MeGUI.xvidConfigurationDialog.dropDownBox_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
at MeGUI.xvidConfigurationDialog.set_CodecSettings(xvidSettings value)
at MeGUI.MeGUI.videoConfigButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MeGUI
Assembly Version: 1.0.2016.3771
Win32 Version: 1.0.2016.3771
CodeBase: file:///E:/My%20things/Prog/meGUI/MeGUI.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
bz6gxvzg
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.
----------------------------------------------------
Old 9th July 2005, 12:21   #296  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
wave would be fine for my captures which AviSynth can Trim
But the problem is that BeSweet doesn't read AviSynth scripts..

Quote:
Weird.. I don't recall changing anything since testing and it worked then but I can reproduce this now.
Old 9th July 2005, 15:15   #297  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
OK, basicly it encodes a certain percentage of the video (usually 1-5%) with a fixed quant and generates the probable size for the whole movie. This way you can easily see how well compresseble it is when comparing to the final desired filesize.
I would suggest an extra window for that. There should be a box to put in the percentage for the comptest. A box for the desired filesize and for the bitrate (radio button style, so that only one can be selected). A config button to choose the x264 settings. Then you would take the input avs add a line to it (selectevery(300,15) for example, depending on the given percentage) and start the test.
and then what? Using given settings I can predict how big the final movie is going to be.. but that's not what the comptest is about, is it? It's about picking the proper resolution given a certain target size.
Old 9th July 2005, 17:13   #298  |  Link
towerblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnick
-----------------------------------------
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at MeGUI.CommandLineGenerator.generateXviDCommandline(String mencoderPath, xvidSettings xs, String input, String output)
at MeGUI.CommandLineGenerator.generateVideoCommandline(MeGUISettings settings, VideoCodecSettings vSettings, String input, String output)
at MeGUI.xvidConfigurationDialog.showCommandLine()
at MeGUI.xvidConfigurationDialog.dropDownBox_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
at MeGUI.xvidConfigurationDialog.set_CodecSettings(xvidSettings value)
at MeGUI.MeGUI.videoConfigButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
MeGUI
Assembly Version: 1.0.2016.3771
Win32 Version: 1.0.2016.3771
CodeBase: file:///E:/My%20things/Prog/meGUI/MeGUI.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
bz6gxvzg
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.
----------------------------------------------------

I get the same error,Using windows2000
Old 9th July 2005, 22:59   #299  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@towerblocks: lesnick already reported that bug and I confirmed it.. on the very same page nontheless.. please take a couple minutes to read posts since the last release for any issues that might already have been reported. Thank you.
Old 10th July 2005, 11:30   #300  |  Link
towerblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
@towerblocks: lesnick already reported that bug and I confirmed it.. on the very same page nontheless.. please take a couple minutes to read posts since the last release for any issues that might already have been reported. Thank you.
ok prob sorted thanks,But i've ran into another prob,it crashes on 2pass-1st pass,I hit the start button window appears then closes,It's probarbly
something i'm doing wrong here's the log.

Next job job3 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"C:\Megui.2.1.1\mencoder.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\buf.avs" -ovc xvid -o NUL: -passlogfile "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Megui.2.1.1\logs\2pass.log" -xvidencopts pass=1:bitrate=963:max_key_interval=250:vhq=4:chroma_me:trellis:min_iquant=1:max_iquant=2:min_pquant=1:max_pquant=2:min_bquant=1:max_bquant=2:keyframe_boost=100:kfthreshold=1:kfreduction=20:chroma_opt:zones=1,q,1/60631,q,20
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job3
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log for job job3

Option xvidencopts: Unknown suboption zones
Closed Thread