Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2005, 08:38   #261  |  Link
leowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by haubrija
I set up my jobs doing an auto encode. Come back in the morning and my mp4 is way oversized.
I got the same problem. I used v0.2.0.8. Double checked that v0.2.0.9 also the same.

haubrija, you're more lucky than I am. I only realize this oversize problem on the process of 2nd pass. First pass takes me about 22hrs to complete on my P3 1GHz machine.

From the command line generated by MeGUI, I think MeGUI should replace the bitrate in the configuration panel (says 700 default) to what it calculated (says 626kps, with 128kps of AAC audio) in the AutoEncode mode.

It doesn't make sense since the audio size is already known, the "Automatic Encoding" dialog box also shows the required Avereage Bitrate to fit the target output size. Why the program doesn't allow to change the default 700 (in config panel) to the calculated bitrate? This option is remain in gray and unselectable.

This is a bug of MeGUI?

Thanks.
Old 7th July 2005, 08:54   #262  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
It doesn't make sense since the audio size is already known, the "Automatic Encoding" dialog box also shows the required Avereage Bitrate to fit the target output size. Why the program doesn't allow to change the default 700 (in config panel) to the calculated bitrate? This option is remain in gray and unselectable.
What do you mean by the config panel? There's no panel.. just dialogs. You can set any bitrate you want in a codec configuration dialog (this is the window you get when you press the config button in the main gui).. in auto-mode, this will be discarded... you cannot set a bitrate you are required to set a size and the bitrate is automatically calculated based on your configuration.. all that calculation info is actually part of the log (so where is it?). The way you're describing things, I'm wondering if you are using MeGUI correctly.. you get your jobs set up from the autoencode window, don't you? If you load one of those created jobs from the queue, you'll see that it has the bitrate that was calculated. It makes absolutely no sense to propagate a calculated bitrate to the codec configuration dialog.. once you enter the auto mode, you cannot reconfigure the codec and your last configured settings will be taken. The only way you can still change anything after clicking queue in the auto encode window is if you load a job from the queue, change something, and update the existing job.

A job has it's own configuration.. at the point you press queue, the currently active settings (minus bitrate in case of video in auto-encode or one click mode) will be plugged into that job. After it is in the queue, it has no reference whatsoever to what you see in the codec configuration dialog. You can change that all you want.. once a job is in the queue, you can only change it if you a) load it, b) modify it, c) update it. a & c require the appropriately named buttons in the queue tab.

Now if you're refering to the "Average Bitrate" textfield in the "Automatic Encoding" groupbox in the Automatic Encoding window... this is a bitrate preview and it does change if you change the file size. I'm quite confused why you think you need to specify a bitrate. You do not.. MeGUI is smart enough to calculate the bitrate for you, taking up to two audio tracks and up to 5 subtitle tracks automatically into account. And it has to be a hell of a coincidence if the average bitrate in the place I just mentioned is exactly 700 kbit/s. Try this: configure audio and video, go into one click mode, note the average bitrate shown. Then press cancel, press the X button to clear the audio, and go to the auto encode window again. Note that the average bitrate has changed.
Old 7th July 2005, 10:46   #263  |  Link
leowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Now if you're refering to the "Average Bitrate" textfield in the "Automatic Encoding" groupbox in the Automatic Encoding window... this is a bitrate preview and it does change if you change the file size.
Yes, I mean the Average Bitrate in "Automatic Encoding". I also noticed the change of video size and bitrate if an audio is included.
Quote:
I'm quite confused why you think you need to specify a bitrate. You do not.. MeGUI is smart enough to calculate the bitrate for you, taking up to two audio tracks and up to 5 subtitle tracks automatically into account.
Yes, it does show the changes. However, when I double check with the command line in quequed jobs (3 pass), it shows the bitrate is equals to the one specified in the config dialog instead of the calculated one.

Following is my encoding steps:
1. Video: a. Set input AviSynth Script. (A movie windows shown).
b. Define the Video Output: AVC, MP4 and use "automated 3pass"
*If the bitrate is 800 here, I will get this in the command line!

2. Define Audio input and output @128kbps (assume no problems here).
3. Click on "AutoEncode", now I got the calculated is 626kbps (Video file size will be 593221KB). Assume no additional audio, subtitles and chapters to add. I click on "Queque" button.
4. Use text edit to open the corresponding job file *.xml. I found the command lines in jobs now specifying "--bitrate 800". This 800 is the bitrate in the config dialog rather than the calculated 626 (which takes audio size into account).

My problem is the MeGUI "AutoEncode" provide correct bitrate but when it generate the command line for jobs, it uses the bitrate in the config dialog! Wondering is this happen to you too, or it just happen to me only.

May be my steps in creating the jobs are incorrect.

Quote:
And it has to be a hell of a coincidence if the average bitrate in the place I just mentioned is exactly 700 kbit/s. Try this: configure audio and video, go into one click mode, note the average bitrate shown. Then press cancel, press the X button to clear the audio, and go to the auto encode window again. Note that the average bitrate has changed.
"One Click Mode"="One Click Encoder" in the tools menu? If you refers to the "AutoEncode" button, see above.

Hope my explanation above is clear enough.

Thanks.
Old 7th July 2005, 12:06   #264  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Yes, it does show the changes. However, when I double check with the command line in quequed jobs (3 pass), it shows the bitrate is equals to the one specified in the config dialog instead of the calculated one.
That is correct, if you are also encoding audio. Think about it for a second: when you're encoding audio, you do not know the audio size in advance... you can guess (which MeGUI does and shows you the results from that guess), but that guess is generally not very accurate, especially in VBR mode. So what happens is that the bitrate is left as configured in the configuration dialog, up until the point where all audio jobs have been completed. Then you'll see entries in the log in between the last audio and the first video job telling you the size of the audio stream(s) and which bitrate MeGUI recalculates for the video knowing how big your audio file(s) is/are. Sure I could add the calculated bitrate from the autoencode average bitrate field into all the jobs.. but what good will that do me if I have to recalculate the bitrate anyway? It's just an additional step that serves no purpose.

However, if you try without audio encoding, but do specify an audio track to be muxed, then you will immediately see in the log that MeGUI is calculating the video bitrate, and if you check the jobs, the bitrate will match the value the log tells you. If you're just muxing pre-existing audio files, MeGUI can calculate the video bitrate accurately right there. And if you combine the two scenarios (one pre-existing audio track, one to be encoded), you'll have a hybrid mode in which MeGUI reduces the desired size by the size of the pre-existing audio, and then recalculates again once your audio track to be encoded has been encoded.

So, once again.. if your output is oversized I need to see the log, plain and simple. You'll see MeGUI recalculating bitrates in there. The last version might lack some entries but you'll see the recalculation for sure as that's a part of the code I have not touched since the introduction of the 3 pass mode. And naturally I have checked that the bitrate recalculation works properly when I made those changes.
Old 7th July 2005, 13:02   #265  |  Link
leowai

Quote:
However, if you try without audio encoding, but do specify an audio track to be muxed, then you will immediately see in the log that MeGUI is calculating the video bitrate, and if you check the jobs, the bitrate will match the value the log tells you.
Yup. Check that if I mux the video with an existing audio, the command output to the jobs are correct. i.e. skip step 2 and add additional audio(s) at the end of step 3.

Quote:
If you're just muxing pre-existing audio files, MeGUI can calculate the video bitrate accurately right there. And if you combine the two scenarios (one pre-existing audio track, one to be encoded), you'll have a hybrid mode in which MeGUI reduces the desired size by the size of the pre-existing audio, and then recalculates again once your audio track to be encoded has been encoded.
I see. This means the bitrate will be changed according to the output audio size. Just wondering, since job files are save after MeGUI closed, will MeGUI update the jobs when encoding if the jobs start after MeGUI is closed and re-open?

My senerio might be able to be explained. I've input an EXISTING audio as one of the encoding job. I then delete off the job later because only doing this I would notice the change of bitrate in Video to fit 1 CD correctly in the "AutoEncode" dialog. I simply thought that the shown bitrate in gray will be used in the encoding process. That is my first use of MeGUI and that's why I thought I was correct. Now I know I shouldn't do so .

I've tried the encoding with auto3pass and it takes me 20hrs+ for a pass of 2hr DVD movie. I don't want to wait for another day and I think it might be good enough with a 2nd pass video. It is my mistake to remove the 3rd pass while the 2nd encoding is in process. I just thought that they are independent processes running in sequence. Not knowing that MeGUI is getting the jobs done in sequence with dependant of previous job in auto3pass.

I believe that is the cause where the video size is increased to an undesired size after I've remove the 3 pass from the encoding sequence.

Thanks for you well explanation about the details. Keep on the good job.
Old 7th July 2005, 13:12   #266  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leowai
it takes me 20hrs+ for a pass of 2hr DVD movie
I'm not sure if you are aware, but the Turbo option in the x264 (if that's what you're using) settings will give a 3-5 times speed-up on the first pass with no noticeable quality loss.
Old 7th July 2005, 13:18   #267  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Just wondering, since job files are save after MeGUI closed, will MeGUI update the jobs when encoding if the jobs start after MeGUI is closed and re-open?
It depends. As I said, the update is done when you have a series of jobs belonging together. If an audio job links to a video job, that's when the recalculation kicks in. The only time this isn't done is if audio encoding is manually aborted (but then if you redo it, it'll be done again switching from audio to the video job), or if there was an error in the audio job (same thing here, redoing the audio job will redo the calculation).

So, even if you stop encoding after audio encoding by pressing the stop button in the queue tab, the bitrate will still be updated.. but the next job won't be encoded.

So unless you manage to crash MeGUI just in the right moment, the recalculation will always be done.

With pre-existing audio, unless MeGUI crashes before adding the jobs to the queue, the bitrate will be in order.

Quote:
I've input an EXISTING audio as one of the encoding job. I then delete off the job later because only doing this I would notice the change of bitrate in Video to fit 1 CD correctly in the "AutoEncode" dialog.
Yes that is indeed your problem. Doing so you the knowledge about the audio stream away from MeGUI, and it no longer knew that it had to reduce the video bitrate prior to encoding the first pass. That is why there's a warning if you delete a single job of a series of jobs.. deleting one can cause undesired results.

What you should've done is just set up video, then check "add additional streams" and specify your audio stream in the mux window that pops up.. that way the size of the audio would've been taken into account and your video would've ended up having the size you wanted it to have.
Old 7th July 2005, 13:33   #268  |  Link
leowai

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
I'm not sure if you are aware, but the Turbo option in the x264 (if that's what you're using) settings will give a 3-5 times speed-up on the first pass with no noticeable quality loss.
Thanks, heard that before but haven try on it yet.

Again, thanks doom9. I would try these out and let the machine runs for this coming weekends. I'll report again if the oversize problem presented. However, I don't think it will happen again.
Old 7th July 2005, 17:11   #269  |  Link
haubrija

Doom9,

Just a point of clarification. I beleive it was oversized because it mp4box imported the video twice. It saw that they were the same name so it imported the video (named temp.mp4) and then what it thought was the audio but was actually the same file (temp.mp4). So I don't think the oversize was the fault of megui... just me.
Old 7th July 2005, 18:57   #270  |  Link
IgorC

What version of xvid (1.0.3 or 1.1 beta 2) mplayer has?
Old 7th July 2005, 20:30   #271  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
What version of xvid (1.0.3 or 1.1 beta 2) mplayer has?
as far as I can tell from my limited experience with the mencoder source, you have to compile in the xvid sources to actually get xvid support. Thus it would be up to whomever compiles mencoder to include whichever version of the xvid sources he/she saw fit. I know it's devapi4 (so 1.x), but that's that.
Old 7th July 2005, 20:38   #272  |  Link
IgorC

It would be great (at last for me) to see mplayer/MeGUI working with last Xvid 1.1 beta 2 Koepi's build.
Old 7th July 2005, 20:45   #273  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Xvid 1.1 beta 2 Koepi's build.
that is a vfw build.. I'm not using vfw for encoding and I don't plan to ever change that. If you want vfw, look for tools automating avs2avi or the VfW codec (Gordian Knot, AutoGK, DVX, AVI.NET, etc).

MeGUI is a mencoder gui (hence the first two letters of the name).. it'll support what mencoder supports in terms of codecs.
Old 7th July 2005, 21:52   #274  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

the new build for today is out. enjoy
Old 8th July 2005, 14:47   #275  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I got a crash on exiting MeGUI 0.2.1.0a - I cleaned the directories for a fresh install of MeGUI and all required tools, created a few video profiles, and closed MeGUI. Here, .NET reported a failure not being able to access a file (unsupported path format). The reason must be: I used a colon in the profile description ("x264 HQ Auto3pass 16:9"). This would result in an invalid filename.

In case you still need a crash report, I saved it.
Old 8th July 2005, 17:24   #276  |  Link
Beave

MeGUI is getting better and better. I like it. I'm still playing around with x264 and found your GUI very helpful.

A few suggestions from my side:

Could you add the output filename automaticly when opening an avs or an audio file? Like when I open mymovie.avs, the output box could already have the filename "mymovie-video.mp4" or something simmilar in the same directory. For autoencode it doesn't really matter how the immidiate files are called anyways.

I wouldn't mind seeing the commandlines in the mainwindow. Something like in the config windows, would be nice.

In the x264 config window when selecting automated 2-pass the shown commandline is a bit confusing. Could you maybe show both passes seperately on top of each other in the commandline?

The avsynth creator doesn't support resolutions higher than 720.

I would like to be able to define the noise-options with my favorite filters for avisynth myself somewhere.

I wouldn't mind seeing ProjectX support in MeGUI to fix the sync-issues in some of the TS files. Having this in the 1-click tool would be great, too.

Now something farfetched maybe, but I'll ask anyways:
When doing lots of testencodes with x264 with resolution up to 720p I noticed, that playback load depends on many parts. The more options you choose for x264 the higher the playback load (obviously!). The higher the bitrate, the higher the playback load. The more noisereduction filters in avisynth the lower the playback load. The last two things are hard to predict, but they change the playback performance quite a bit.
Maybe there is some way to guess or compute the expected playback performance?

Could you add a compressibility check with x264 to MeGUI? There is probably too little experience with this yet, but it would help to decide on the right options.
Old 8th July 2005, 17:40   #277  |  Link
superdump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beave
The higher the bitrate, the higher the playback load. The more noisereduction filters in avisynth the lower the playback load. The last two things are hard to predict, but they change the playback performance quite a bit.
The higher the bitrate, the more data that has to be decoded, hence why it produces more load. Noise reduction filters make the video easy to encode, reducing the bitrate and so reducing playback load.

There is a standardised restriction on bitrate and other properties such that the video can be guaranteed to be playable on hardware capable of decoding this h.264 profile/level. I believe Doom9 is considering adding these profiles/levels to the gui.

Old 8th July 2005, 18:08   #278  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Could you add the output filename automaticly when opening an avs or an audio file?
Yes, that would be no problem.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing the commandlines in the mainwindow. Something like in the config windows, would be nice.
I don't see the point of that.. when you configure you can show the commandline and it won't change in the main window.. all that is added is input and output filenames..

Quote:
In the x264 config window when selecting automated 2-pass the shown commandline is a bit confusing. Could you maybe show both passes seperately on top of each other in the commandline?
Why is it confusing? You're configuring the second pass.. MeGUI does the rest when it's time. It's not like the first pass configuration is just out there.. it has to be generated manually and that code doesn't belong into the commandline generation.

Quote:
The avsynth creator doesn't support resolutions higher than 720.
Hmm.. I guess that is due to me setting a maximum for the updown control. I can change that in function of the video that is being opened.. I just wanted to prevent that people resize video to a size larger than the original.

Quote:
I would like to be able to define the noise-options with my favorite filters for avisynth myself somewhere.
And you can.. copy and paste them into the avisynth creator preview once you're done selecting from the available options in the GUI. I you want a full fledged AviSynth encoder, there are plenty of tools around for that and it just wouldn't be right copying other tools - I rather spend my time elsewhere.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing ProjectX support in MeGUI to fix the sync-issues in some of the TS files. Having this in the 1-click tool would be great, too.
I have no idea what you mean by that.

Quote:
I don't have a clue about that.. there's not even an attempt anywhere at such a thing.

Quote:
Could you add a compressibility check with x264 to MeGUI?
Asked and answered before. I don't know how a compcheck works so I need somebdy to lay it out for me. Give me the specs and I'll tell you if I can and will do it. But since it's not a feature I consider useful (I know it's in my guides but I have never personally used it for my own purposes, ever), all you can potentially expect from me in this matter is coding.. not the "figuring out how it works and specify the workflow" work. But bring it here and we'll see.
Old 8th July 2005, 18:15   #279  |  Link
haubrija

Doom9,

I'm at work right now so I can't drop post a log, but I beleive I'm having a problem with the acc encoding. I want to encode to 5.1 aac but it seems to only be encoding in regular 2.0. I'm using mplayer for playback. In my audio options, I've been setting it for: 5.1, CBR 224, HE, leaving everything else default.

I have a soundstorm motherboard so I'd really love to get the 5.1 working. Is this a limitation of mplayer or a possible problem with megui. Thanks for any help.
Old 8th July 2005, 18:34   #280  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@haubrija:

Quote:
I believe Doom9 is considering adding these profiles/levels to the gui.
those, yes, but that's for standalone players/hardware chips, not PCs.