Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th January 2006, 17:51   #421  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Guys...

It looks like some improvement on this front may be in the works. But please bear in mind the following:

1) You're referring to four different plug-ins by four different authors. Compiling other people's code can be a lot of work... consider that (AFAIK) all the code is available and that you can amalgamate it yourself if you want it -- and then release the result as a public service.

2) Similarly the wiki is freely editable... foxyshadis doesn't need to be left to do all the work.

3) What would happen if you loaded the amalgamated plug-in together with (older or newer) versions of the relevant tools? Bugs might be unfixed by the clash... this could cause problems that were very hard to track down.

4) As foxyshadis notes, the thankless maintainer of the amalgamated plug-in you suggest would need to recompile it every time any of the included plug-ins changed.

5) The version of LimitedSharpen that all of this is based on is an experimental version. I wrote LimitedSupport because I promised Didée I would many months ago. I never really intended it to be used by anyone but him... the idea was that he would simply have more functions to play with. If and when he thinks that it is stable and appropriate for use, I expect that he will post scripts that use it. On the front page, with all the appropriate documentation. What I wrote about the functions was (and still largely is) targeted at Didée; I'm very happy for people other to use it, and I'll help with specific issues, but I was never trying to turn one of Didée's experiments into front-page form.

Edit:
Fred,

I'm not great at adapting other people's code . Most of that function seems to be resizes... I do definitely want to write a faster resizer one day, but it's a lot of work. It would fit quite neatly into a framework I have in mind that would speed up many of Didée's filters substantially... but I am waiting to see what the next generation of filters look like before I start on something that might be obsoleted!

Didée,

Average: Definitely not good -- I will try to hunt it down when my brain is next up to speed; thanks for telling me about it. But for this case I was thinking of writing a much simpler dedicated radius-1 temporal blur, which would be faster anyway. (Actually, this is right down kassandro's street -- I'm surprised he hasn't done this already at a gazillion FPS.) I thought I'd seen that usage in a couple of your functions, but maybe I was just looking at the same ones again and again .

Last edited by mg262; 14th January 2006 at 19:30.
mg262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 12:57   #422  |  Link
videoFred

Location: Terneuzen, Zeeland, the Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Milky Way,Universe
LimitedSharpenFaster()

I did many tests with sharpeners....
Limitedsharpen is the best!!

Here are some Super-8 filmframes:
I used limitedSharpenFaster(smode:1, radius=2-3, strenght=100-300)

I had no problem to download everything to make it work.
Yep, it's faster!

Please remember real film sharpness is different from digital..
It's softer.. and it should be... It's the film look.

The frames are taken from the Mpeg2.. then converted to Jpeg.
So you can imagine how the original 1024x768 Huffyuv looks?

1972, Kodak film, Canon Super-8 camera (model unknown)

Fred.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4QBsWXKuV8
More Example clips:
http://www.vimeo.com/user678523/videos/sort:newest

Last edited by videoFred; 18th January 2006 at 13:04.
videoFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 02:58   #423  |  Link
Isochroma

There seems to be a problem with LimitedSharpenFaster() in the distribution of MaskTools 2.0 a20. I'm getting frameblends with this avs script:

ImageSource(file = "S:\VideoDone\Escaflowne\EF.%06d.png", start = 0, end = 140636, fps = 23.976)
ConvertToYUY2()
LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, Smode=3, strength=800)

This script doesn't produce any frameblending:

ImageSource(file = "S:\VideoDone\Escaflowne\EF.%06d.png", start = 0, end = 140636, fps = 23.976)
ConvertToYUY2()
LimitedSharpen(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, Smode=3, strength=800)

In my own work, the original LS continues to prove its worth on a daily basis. So many thanks to the devs! I'd request that the MT2 version of the LS script be put back on avisynth.org until the bugs are worked out of the faster version.

Here are 3 frames (15782, 15783, 15784) made with the last non-integrated MT2 version of LS (second script in this post):

[Pics removed due to bandwidth overconsumption and issue already resolved]

and here are the three frames (15782, 15783, 15784) made with the MaskTools a20 version of LS-faster (first script):

[Pics removed due to bandwidth overconsumption and issue already resolved]

Last edited by Isochroma; 31st January 2006 at 23:33.
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 08:33   #424  |  Link
Pookie

Same here. No biggie. I'll back down on the version until it is working better.

Problem seems to be happening with masktools-v2.0a19 and masktools-v2.0a20, works fine in a18.

Last edited by Pookie; 22nd January 2006 at 08:42.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 09:26   #425  |  Link
tedkunich
Potentate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma
There seems to be a problem with LimitedSharpenFaster() in the distribution of MaskTools 2.0 a20. I'm getting frameblends with this avs script:

ConvertToYUY2()
LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, Smode=3, strength=800)

This script doesn't produce any frameblending:

ConvertToYUY2()
LimitedSharpen(ss_x=2.0, ss_y=2.0, Smode=3, strength=800)

In my own work, the original LS continues to prove its worth on a daily basis. So many thanks to the devs! I'd request that the MT2 version of the LS script be put back on avisynth.org until the bugs are worked out of the faster version.

Here are 3 frames (15782, 15783, 15784) made with the last non-integrated MT2 version of LS (second script in this post):

and here are the three frames (15782, 15783, 15784) made with the MaskTools a20 version of LS-faster (first script):
Just a suggestion, but if you have more than one image to post, please just post a link to the image or post a smaller file (ie JPEG) so that people that have slow connections do not have to wait for 10 mintues for this thread to load.

T
tedkunich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 09:42   #426  |  Link
Revgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedkunich
Just a suggestion, but if you have more than one image to post, please just post a link to the image or post a smaller file (ie JPEG) so that people that have slow connections do not have to wait for 10 mintues for this thread to load.

T

Yeah! Who wants to wait 10 minutes to see some anime chicks huggin' each other!

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.
Revgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 10:10   #427  |  Link
Manao

Thanks IsoChroma, Pookie. I fixed the bug ( cf the dedicated masktools thread ). Yet, I strongly advise you to keep to the masktools 2.0a18 for the time being, as I have said on the other thread, I'm hunting done another nasty issue, that mostly seems random and that may or may not happen on your computer ( but you wouldn't like it to happen at the #51239 frame of your clip ).

Apart for a bug with very small resolution ( < 128 horizontally ), the 2.0a18 version has no bug that I know of, so it might be considered as stable ( at least, relatively to the v2.0 "stability" standard )

I updated my sig to point toward that version, instead of the latest.
Old 22nd January 2006, 11:39   #428  |  Link
Manao

Ok, the bug wasn't in the masktools, but in the old avisynth.dll that was in my system directory. Once updated to latest avisynth, it works quite alright. So provided that nothing else is wrong in 2.0a21, it can be used.
Old 22nd January 2006, 15:08   #429  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Wow, took me quite some time to read-up all the stuff i missed in the 2 months i was offline!

Cant await to play around with the new versions... ^^

Thx n' Bye

Visit my IRC channel
Soulhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 18:33   #430  |  Link
tedkunich
Potentate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revgen
Yeah! Who wants to wait 10 minutes to see some anime chicks huggin' each other!

anime... meh... long lost interest in cartoons decades ago...
tedkunich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 18:40   #431  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedkunich
anime... meh... long lost interest in cartoons decades ago...
how dare you call anime cartoons!!!! But yeah I need to start updating alot of the scripts I use to use the 2.0 version. Then I can really get going hehe.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 20:05   #432  |  Link
Isochroma

Good to hear the bug is squashed... if I post more than 2 pics in the future they will be links only.
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:57   #433  |  Link
Kador

Hi, I'm using the latest :
- masktools2
- MT + avisynth dll
- the second LSF from the wiki page
- hqdn3d
I get a crash every time after several seconds of read, of course no crash without those filters ...

any idea ?
Kador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:53   #434  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Reading this...
Quote:
But yeah I need to start updating alot of the scripts I use to use the 2.0 version. Then I can really get going hehe.
and many other recent posts, I want to dig out a caveat that may have been missed by those not following this thread continuously (hope you don't mind the liberty, Didée):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée
The version from page 1 still is the official one, although the modifikation posted in post 208 works 100% reliable, hence is even recommended. Everything works as expected, and the additions Smode=4 and Lmode=3 might enable stronger texture enhancement than what one was used to formerly (however appliance of Soothe() might be better when using these).

For now, I want to keep any "official" version fully backwards compatible regarding the setup. MaskTools v2.0 as a whole is not free of quirks yet, and - more importantly - it *necessarily* requires Avisynth v2.56, which not everyone might be using yet.

So, instead of updating LimitedSharpen with small features or speedups that bring more confusion than benefit to the users (and to me the need of doing much explaining), time is better invested in fiddling with new toys. LimitedSharpen was good and all (and still is, of course), but its possibilities of enhancement are, well, limited. By now, it's time to go beyond what LS can do. I counted carefully, and found all needed puzzle pieces are there. The puzzle is big, and putting it together is very difficult. But then, it's definetly more challenging than doing minor poilshments on old toys, and explaining the change of glance.
MaskTools is now much stabler and has an unofficial accelerated LS version bundled with it (Manao put in a lot of work to make your lives easier -- go and thank him!).

Note the requirement for the latest version of AVISynth 2.5.6, and that you will still need the right version of RemoveGrain from here. (<--Excuse the big letters; edited to stand out to those skimming this thread.)

But otherwise that post sums up the state of things.

Oh yes... one other thing: how dare you call cartoons anime!

Last edited by mg262; 25th January 2006 at 20:45. Reason: Reflect requirement for *latest version* of AVISynth 2.5.6
mg262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 00:42   #435  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

Hi All,

Im getting graphedit errors in ZoomPlayer 4.51 with limitedsharpen and mask_tools v2.0a21 after a second or two of dvd playback - no problems if I roll back to v2.0a18..

Cheers,
Bitey
Old 25th January 2006, 01:18   #436  |  Link
aberforthsgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bitey
Im getting graphedit errors in ZoomPlayer 4.51 with limitedsharpen and mask_tools v2.0a21 after a second or two of dvd playback - no problems if I roll back to v2.0a18..
Ditto here. And SageTV crashes without mercy. a18 works very nicely; everything else (up to a23) seems to be an automatic crash machine.

Mike
aberforthsgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 01:50   #437  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

I would post these issues in the MaskTools thread...
Old 25th January 2006, 06:44   #438  |  Link
Manao

Mr Bitey, aberforthsgoat : can you check your avisynth.dll version & release data please ? Because builds after 2.0a18 have issues with early 2.5.6, but not with the last one. I can't make it crash on my computer.

So can you try latest 2.5.6 RC, and - if it still doesn't work - can you give me the avs script you used.
Old 25th January 2006, 18:02   #439  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

So how about someone either updates page 1 or makes a new thread with the newest script and required DLLs + a readme?
Old 25th January 2006, 20:38   #440  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Front-page version is official. This version isn't (Didée has said so several times).

foxyshadis has listed everything necessary for the experimental version on AVISynth.org and kept it up-to-date through all the changes:

http://www.avisynth.org/LimitedSharpen