Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 28th July 2003, 12:24   #1  |  Link
JF Sebastian

Resolution Settings - huh?

Could anyone explain how to use the slider in the resolution tab in GKnot 0.28.5 correctly?
I know this is probably speak and spell level for everyone else, but I'm completely lost here!
I am following the doom9 guide for DVD - DivX 5, and when I get to this screen I can't seem to interpret it.
I tried moving the slider around, then flipping back to Bitrate to see the video size increase or decrease, but when I ask for a Compressibility Check it immediately errors with a message that YV12 destination height must be a multiple of 2. Now I think this is because where I moved the slider to resulted in Apect Error not being bang on 0.0%, but I am only clutching st straws.

If someone could spare a min to explain A)how to get the compressibility check to run, and B)how to interpret it, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

JF

PS
This is my first attempt at GKnot - bet you couldn't tell eh?
Old 28th July 2003, 13:26   #2  |  Link
hakko504
Remember Rule One

First part: Make sure the Vertical and Horizontal mod are set to at least 2, and preferrable 32/16 (i.e. defaults). You say that you have targeted 0.0% aspect ratio error and that could very well indicate that you have picture sizes that are uneven. (Either after crop or as final resolution) Post the .avs (without lines starting with # ).

As for how to interpret the compression test, read for instance this or make a search here in the forum.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com
hakko504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2003, 22:37   #3  |  Link
JF Sebastian

hakko504
Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it.

I have already read that thread and understood your answer, and I will indeed do further searches for answers regarding how to better understand the slider itself.

If I could ask one more question with regard to the doom9 guide I followed: The movie I am trying to do is NTSC Region 1, and I created the DVD2AVI project with Force Film on. However when I opened the .d2v it registered as 29.970, which is the source movie's frame rate.

The guide says to set framerate to 23.976 manually, so I did.

I have now managed to finish the movie and upon viewing the resultant avi, there seems to be a miniscule "judder" horizontally every few seconds. It's not that big, but I can notice it. Is this a framerate screwup on my part somewhere?

On the plus side I did however end up with 2 x 700mb files with AC3 sound ready for burn, so it's just that shudder that I've got to figure out.

Any insight you might be able to give would be appreciated.

JF
Old 29th July 2003, 13:14   #4  |  Link
manono

Hi-

However when I opened the .d2v it registered as 29.970

OK, now open the .d2v and a few lines down you'll see the framerate. If it's also 29970, then I'd say that you didn't have Force Film turned on. When you open a Force Filmed .d2v in GKnot, it'll say 23.976. There should be no need to adjust it yourself.

I have now managed to finish the movie and upon viewing the resultant avi, there seems to be a miniscule "judder" horizontally every few seconds.

Probably because you encoded it as 29.97fps, where it should have either been Force Filmed, or IVTC'd. If you were to open the finished .avi in VDubMod, you might see 2 frames out of every 5 as being interlaced or perhaps as "double images" if you applied a deinterlacer. You could see the same thing in GKnot. If you open a 29.97fps .d2v and step through the video, you'll also see 2 interlaced frames out of every 5.

Is this a framerate screwup on my part somewhere?

Probably. What does your player say is the framerate? 29.97fps I would guess. You can also get the framerate by opening either the .avs or the final .avi in VDubMod and going File-File Information.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 22:37   #5  |  Link
JF Sebastian

manono
Thanks for answering. I think you're most probably right.

I went back over the notes I made from the guide and I am wondering whether I remembered to activate the ITVC button when I save and encoded the first time...

Earlier I re-did the whole procedure and made ABSOLUTELY sure that I switched on Forced Film. I went off to work with GKnot happily encoding away...

Got home tonight and unfortunately VDubMod had crashed (just coincidental, I think!!) and as a result it had not muxed in any audio. But the avi was finished and I viewed it, and the picture judder was gone

Before I set it all going again, can I salvage this project and mux the ac3 audio back in somehow?

JF
Old 30th July 2003, 05:13   #6  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Yes. Start Gknot, use the Encode tab, press the Add Job button. You can then select your already generated .avs script(s), and "just mux" your audio track.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote