Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 30th July 2003, 09:23   #1  |  Link
magomago

Why will the Subs not appear in the encode?

I'm not a newbie to Gknot...but I have this anime (Boogie Pop Fantom) and I have had the VOBS laying on my HDD for a while so I ripped the subs out of the first VOB but for some odd reason it won't appear in Gknot.

In Subresycn I can see all the subs just fine....so I thought "Convert it to SSA!"

I tried saving it as SSA but after I went through that entire process of telling it what each letter was I went to the SSA file and noticed that um...there was nothing in it! The size was 700-somthing BYTES and was compltely blank....

What do I do? The subtitles are there and I can clearly see them in subresync...but they refuse to enter the encode (I do Xvid)

I'm using the latest Gknot (Actually I upgraded to the lastest from .28beta3 specifically to see if it would fix this problem) and I cannot fix this...

I tried going to Vobsub's site but it doesn't seem to exist...

Thanks
magomago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2003, 17:24   #2  |  Link
manono

Hi-

I did Boogie Pop Phantom (R1 DVD) a while back with no problem. So there's nothing peculiar about those DVDs (except the stories-a very strange series). I ripped the subs using VobSub in GKnot and burned them into the video. So, did you check the .idx file that was created, and it was normal, had stuff inside it? And I guess you've created .avs's with subs before, so you know how to get them into the .avs? And the VSFilter was loaded? And the vobsub line was added to the .avs? And still no subs when tested with the Preview, or when the .avs was opened in VDubMod?

I can't tell what went wrong with SubReSynch. But you might try SubRip as an alternative. It has the added advantage of saving a .sum file with the OCR stuff, so if you have another DVD with the same kind of subs, (like the other 11 episodes), you don't have to do all that typing again. Good Luck.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 00:23   #3  |  Link
magomago

Quote:
Originally posted by manono
Hi-

I did Boogie Pop Phantom (R1 DVD) a while back with no problem. So there's nothing peculiar about those DVDs (except the stories-a very strange series). I ripped the subs using VobSub in GKnot and burned them into the video. So, did you check the .idx file that was created, and it was normal, had stuff inside it? And I guess you've created .avs's with subs before, so you know how to get them into the .avs? And the VSFilter was loaded? And the vobsub line was added to the .avs? And still no subs when tested with the Preview, or when the .avs was opened in VDubMod?

I can't tell what went wrong with SubReSynch. But you might try SubRip as an alternative. It has the added advantage of saving a .sum file with the OCR stuff, so if you have another DVD with the same kind of subs, (like the other 11 episodes), you don't have to do all that typing again. Good Luck.

Hahaha very true about BoogiePop Yeah the IDX definitely came out right. Did you rip the subs from the actual DVDs or did you later rip them from the VOBs (like I said BGF was laying on my HDD for a while now)

Yeah I know how to get subs in the AVS - VS Filter was loaded and the Vobsub line was added (i was going to just used textsub too to load the subs but like I said it wouldn't save it in SSA)

And in the preview there were no subs, and not even with the AVS open in VDM

And I'll try Subrip now that you reccomend it

EDIT

Took a while to understand how subrip works but after some tinkering I think I understood it and I got the thing into SSA. ATM I'm currently running a compressability test though considering how dark it is I expect some real good compressability with Xvid

Last edited by magomago; 31st July 2003 at 01:13.
magomago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 10:01   #4  |  Link
manono

Hi magomago-

So you got the subs into the .avs? Good! It's probably the most compressible series I've ever seen (because as you said, real dark). I put 6 episodes per CD at 544x400. And this was in DivX 3.11, before the days of B-Frames. Only the last episode is a bit less compressible than the rest.

But yes, I got them off of the vob files when on the hard drive. I just opened the IFO in GKnot/VobSub like normal. I don't remember now, but maybe there are different subtitle streams, and only one works. You can't always trust the default first one.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 15:39   #5  |  Link
anomiERIC

Did you check the subtitles box on the Save and Encode dialog, not just the Subtitles tab?
anomiERIC is offline   Reply With Quote