Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 1st November 2005, 12:56   #41  |  Link
hpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraQ
BTW I know I'm not the most qualified, but if there's anyway in which I could contribute to documenting MeGUI, let me know, since I have the time and some resources to contribute.
[OT]
Nice guide, but allow me a friendly tip: In your future guides don't use links to fixed software versions. Now for example all readers of this high-profile online magazine will keep using x264 rev.334 (if the file is not already removed from the server) in the next months or even years. It's just better to mention the original download page (Sharktooth's or bob0r's) or at least post a disclaimer that newer versions of all tools used in the guide are most likely available.

Last edited by hpn; 1st November 2005 at 13:09.
Old 1st November 2005, 13:41   #42  |  Link
Manao

No cabac ? No inloop ? No high profile ? Use MPEG4 ASP then, h264 won't do you any good without these tools.
Old 1st November 2005, 13:55   #43  |  Link
hpn

It's an iPod guide and unfortunately iPod doesn't support any of the HP features:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

Quote:
Video support: H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

Last edited by hpn; 1st November 2005 at 14:02.
Old 1st November 2005, 14:05   #44  |  Link
Manao

hpn : sadly, iPod doesn't support any of the features of the main profile either.
Old 1st November 2005, 14:15   #45  |  Link
hpn

Yes, baseline and simple profiles only. And don't forget the small screen and all other flaws. If everything is here right now with the first generation who would buy it again in a few months when they announce the next generation. It's called marketing

Last edited by hpn; 1st November 2005 at 14:48.
Old 1st November 2005, 15:13   #46  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

ok, i grouped all profiles in a single archive. some have been changed (anime profiles have always UMH search, hq profiles have -2;-1 as default deblocking, some other changes i dont remember...). So, please, get the update.
Old 1st November 2005, 15:15   #47  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraQ
Sharktooth if you need someone to help you test the xbox profile, I have a modded xbox with the latest version of xbmc and would be happy to help.
yes, thanks. my xbox has the CPU mod (1.4Ghz) and im not sure if halving the clockspeed it will be exactly the same as a non-CPU-modded xbox. i'll send you a PM with the xbox profile ASAP.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 1st November 2005 at 16:31.
Old 1st November 2005, 19:01   #48  |  Link
QuadraQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth
yes, thanks. my xbox has the CPU mod (1.4Ghz) and im not sure if halving the clockspeed it will be exactly the same as a non-CPU-modded xbox. i'll send you a PM with the xbox profile ASAP.
Now I'm envious! Still the xbox profile should probably target the "regular" 733 Mghz xbox chip since that's what most people have (and with the right settings can still play AVC files well). If someone is lucky enough to have the chip upgrade, they should be able to use some of the more advanced profiles instead.
Old 2nd November 2005, 12:31   #49  |  Link
Cyberace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manao
No cabac ? No inloop ? No high profile ? Use MPEG4 ASP then, h264 won't do you any good without these tools.
if you're referring to the Xbox then I agree (as MPEG-4 ASP H.263 is much more suited for playback on 'slow' hardware), however some people now insist on using MPEG-4 AVC H.264 for their encodes no matter if the result is actually of poorer quality than a properly encoded MPEG-4 ASP H.263, (I think they probably just use MPEG-4 AVC H.264 because it is the 'latest and coolest' codec out there right now), even though their stand-alone/set-on-top player can't handle it (limiting them to playing it those videos on high-end computers). But since these early-adaptor people exist and wish to use the Xbox for playback they must restrict themselves when encoding for playback on the Xbox by not using all the bells and whistles (and thus must sacrifice quality).

PS! Personally I think people with Xboxes and other stand-alone DivX/XviD-player should keep using MPEG-4 ASP H.263 for another year or so (especially if they and the majority of their friends share videos and mostly use stand-alone DivX/XviD-players to playback those videos), ....at the very least wait until the MPEG-4 AVC H.264 decoder in FFmpeg become faster at decoding MPEG-4 AVC H.264 than it currently does, and until x264 and other MPEG-4 AVC H.264 codecs becomes more efficient at encoding video in lower bit-rate with higher quality (like how the XviD and DivX codecs have evolved over the years). The developers of the x264 codec and the H.264 decoder in FFmpeg have made loads of progress over the last year and will most likely continue doing so during the year(s) to come, optimizing it and speeding it up enough to make playback on slower machines closer by every month that passes.
Old 2nd November 2005, 15:41   #50  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

a xbox with the CPU mod is able to decode h.264 HP @ SD with almost all the bells and wisthles... pretty good for a 1.4Ghz cpu...
Old 3rd November 2005, 00:35   #51  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

to use a matrice it's only:

--cqmfile mp4_guy's_AVC_Low_Bitrate_matrix.cfg

?

Thanks!
Old 3rd November 2005, 06:28   #52  |  Link
QuadraQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberace
...(I think they probably just use MPEG-4 AVC H.264 because it is the 'latest and coolest' codec out there right now)...
I know for me I just like being in on the ground floor of a codec that I think will have a much longer reach than any of the MPEG-4 ASP implementations. DivX/Xvid/Nero are great, but I don't think we'll ever really see the support for these in the broad consumer hardware, like we will for MPEG-4 AVC (eventually - good things are worth waiting for).

(Actually we might in the form of backward compatibility, but if it supports AVC, I'd rather use that than ASP)

I prefer to watch things on my TV so the the xbox is good for testing. As you said the optimization for slower processors like the xbox should improve, so I'll be able to help test that out.
Old 3rd November 2005, 07:14   #53  |  Link
OddbOd77

Sharktooth, could I also have a copy of the XBMC profile? I've been trying for days to cook up a profile that works properly but despite the videos playing fine, when I skip backwards or forwards XBMC (CVS 2005-10-23) glitches or crashes. It doesn't happen with encodes from Nero so I must be doing something wrong.
Old 3rd November 2005, 15:00   #54  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirber
to use a matrice it's only:

--cqmfile mp4_guy's_AVC_Low_Bitrate_matrix.cfg

?

Thanks!
yes or --cqm "flat"/--cqm "jvt" (presets).
Old 3rd November 2005, 15:03   #55  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd77
Sharktooth, could I also have a copy of the XBMC profile? I've been trying for days to cook up a profile that works properly but despite the videos playing fine, when I skip backwards or forwards XBMC (CVS 2005-10-23) glitches or crashes. It doesn't happen with encodes from Nero so I must be doing something wrong.
well, i've fixed the motherboard of my old Xbox so now i have two of them to test the megui profile. gimme some time and i'll put everything online.
Old 4th November 2005, 15:20   #56  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

V2: added Trellis RD to the profiles. Requires MeGUI-x264 0.2.3.0 (included in x264-Full_r362+)
Old 4th November 2005, 22:19   #57  |  Link
pwh04

Wow - just installed 362 b today and getting almost double fps! with virtually same settings..
Old 4th November 2005, 22:50   #58  |  Link
hpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth
HQ-Insane: Same as HQ-Slowest but performs 3 passes.
Sharktooth, in the current profiles HQ-Insane has --trellis 2 while HQ-Slowest has --trellis 1, so either they are not the same as you say in the description, or HQ-Slowest should also be changed to -t 2. I would also recommend you change the profile names, even if you have to use long names (no problem even with 50 chars or so), because the current names are somewhat nondescript. Each time I start MeGUI I have to look at this thread to remind myself what profile is good for (especially when MeGUI randomizes the profiles name order in the drop-down list - I guess Doom9 should fix it). Or at least include a "readme.txt" with profile descriptions (the same as in your first post) in the .7z file.

A possible bug: when I select HQ-Insane, I see "--analyse none" in the MeGUI commandline, no matter that all macroblocks are supposed to be selected. I don't know if this is a bug in MeGUI or something wrong with the HQ-Insane profile (maybe something related to the 3-pass encode) or maybe not a bug at all.

Last edited by hpn; 4th November 2005 at 22:55.
Old 4th November 2005, 23:02   #59  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
"--analyse none"
is turbo involved? that results in analyse none even if all mb options are checked.
Quote:
MeGUI randomizes the profiles name order in the drop-down list
Not true.. I get a directory listing from the filesystem... they'll always be in the same order. The dropdown is sorted alphabetically on top of that, and the settings file saves the profile that was active when you quit.. it's all fully deterministic.
Old 4th November 2005, 23:20   #60  |  Link
hpn

It's sorted alphabetically in the input tab, but for some reason in the x264 configuration dialog I see this:

Yes "--analyse none" is only when turbo is checked. I wasn't aware until now. Shouldn't turbo be unchecked authomatically if the user selects a profile explicitly conflicting with the turbo behaviour?

Last edited by hpn; 4th November 2005 at 23:36.
Closed Thread