Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 17th December 2005, 05:44   #201  |  Link
Backflip

Interesting time I'm having encoding a short clip I have. It has some film grain, and even under the latest CQ profiles it is unpleasantly blocky, same with Insane mode. I would really like x264 to encode the grain as it looks instead of smoothing it out. Have tried loop turned off and on. The CQ-ASP_Q2_eq(crf) encode looks very decent even compared to the Insane and other CQ ones. Maybe Lossless is the only way to make the video look good on the film grain parts.

The part that's blocky is light Blue + has film grain. Maybe it's not hooking onto that part of the video so much.

Why do they put this film grain in movies btw?

Anyhow nice work with the profile updates and MeGUI too

Last edited by Backflip; 17th December 2005 at 05:49.
Old 17th December 2005, 15:41   #202  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainmax
Nah, a clip I was encoding earlier showed some extremely erratic motion and I wanted to know if that was caused by the lack of this option. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
extremely erratic motion? like flickering blocks?
Old 17th December 2005, 15:42   #203  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflip
Interesting time I'm having encoding a short clip I have. It has some film grain, and even under the latest CQ profiles it is unpleasantly blocky, same with Insane mode. I would really like x264 to encode the grain as it looks instead of smoothing it out. Have tried loop turned off and on. The CQ-ASP_Q2_eq(crf) encode looks very decent even compared to the Insane and other CQ ones. Maybe Lossless is the only way to make the video look good on the film grain parts.

The part that's blocky is light Blue + has film grain. Maybe it's not hooking onto that part of the video so much.

Why do they put this film grain in movies btw?

Anyhow nice work with the profile updates and MeGUI too
Ensure you have the latest v19a profiles... for some reason the no-fast-pskip option was disabled in insane mode. it should help with the sky issue.
Old 17th December 2005, 16:51   #204  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth
extremely erratic motion? like flickering blocks?
Not at all, I can't really describe it but you can download a sample encode I made here.
Old 17th December 2005, 16:57   #205  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuxor123
Is it possible to aim for a specific filesize when encoding with MeGUI?
For example: I wanna encode a transport stream to dvd size using the HQ-Insane profile and have a 250mb ac3 file...
So in the end the video filesize should be 4220mb. If possible at all where could i adjust this?
Yes, select the source and the output file. Select the profile you want to use then click on Tools -> Bitrate Calculator menu.
Go to the audio track and specify the size or the bitrate of the audio stream or even better, if you have the audio altready encoded, click on select and load the file.
The calculator will recalculate the video bitrate accordingly to the size you specified.
Old 17th December 2005, 17:28   #206  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainmax
Not at all, I can't really describe it but you can download a sample encode I made here.
What build produced that encode? And with what settings?
Old 18th December 2005, 10:32   #207  |  Link
Chris Benoit

Sharktooth,isn't the bitrate (1000) on your psp profile a little too much for psp too handle on avc?

Will the video run smooth,or is there any chance that it will lag?HAve you tested it?
Old 18th December 2005, 14:42   #208  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Before starting encoding set the bitrate or quantizer (manually or thru the calculator) and adjust the inloop filter accordingly to your needs/taste: keep it 1;1 or higher for anime/toons (max 3;3) and not higher than x264 defaults (0;0) for movies.
it's in the first post...
Old 19th December 2005, 00:05   #209  |  Link
Backflip

Indeed

Quote:
Ensure you have the latest v19a profiles... for some reason the no-fast-pskip option was disabled in insane mode.
Yip, I'm using v19a. About the only mode I haven't tried is Lossless. I really thought CQ-ASP profiles would keep the film grain on the light blue background.

Encodings are around 103MB vs original which is 108MB (4:3 music video).
Old 19th December 2005, 05:08   #210  |  Link
Shinjite

Just to confirm, the deblocking filter, anything lower than 0 (-x) is for sharpness and anything higher than 0 is for smoothness right?
Old 19th December 2005, 12:50   #211  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Yup, the lower the value, the less strong the filter, the higher the value the stronger the filter. And stronger filtering means smoother output (and less detailed).
Old 19th December 2005, 15:17   #212  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflip
Indeed

Yip, I'm using v19a. About the only mode I haven't tried is Lossless. I really thought CQ-ASP profiles would keep the film grain on the light blue background.

Encodings are around 103MB vs original which is 108MB (4:3 music video).
Uhm... i smell there are still some problems with low luma blocks...
Old 19th December 2005, 19:45   #213  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Quote:
What build produced that encode? And with what settings?
Like I said, that doesn't fit with the description you gave me of possible problems that could be caused by x264. The filterchain used in this was trying to decimate the source to 12fps and then use motion compensated FPS conversion back to 23.976fps which is likely what caused this. x264 performed flawlessly on a slightly different filterchain, so don't worry.
Old 21st December 2005, 21:56   #214  |  Link
bdogg

files.x264.nl down?

Is it just me or is files.x264.nl down? I've tried for a couple of days to download the link in the first post but it just hangs...

Can anyone point me to a mirror or maybe upload the package to some free hosting provider?

Thanks!
Old 21st December 2005, 21:58   #215  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

yeah, the server is down.
however the profiles are now included in my x264-full builds (sticky thread). the mirror should work...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 21st December 2005 at 22:02.
Old 21st December 2005, 22:35   #216  |  Link
bdogg

Ah, yes, the mirror to the full x264-full build works fine.

Thanks for the quick response, and all your contributions in general, Sharktooth!
Old 26th December 2005, 21:44   #217  |  Link
CrAcKo

I have a few questions about using the profiles, how exactly do I load a video file?
I can now only open AviSynth files, I have no idea what these are either.

Will I also be able to merge with audio?
Old 26th December 2005, 21:48   #218  |  Link
SenorKaffee
Custom User Title

Download and install AVISynth - itīs basically a scripting engine. Documentation how to use it is included.
Old 26th December 2005, 23:35   #219  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

iam just using my old bat file and replacing the x264.exe with newer versions, would something like this still be valid:

x264 --pass 1 -B 500 --ref 1 --bframes 1 --filter -2,-2 --subme 7 --weightb --trellis 1 --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4 --stats "%video%.stats" --progress --output NUL "%gentemplateext%"
x264 --pass 2 -B 500 --ref 1 --bframes 1 --filter -2,-2 --subme 7 --weightb --trellis 1 --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4 --stats "%video%.stats" --progress --output "%videoext%.mp4" "%gentemplateext%"

with x264 core:42 svn-389M (built by Sharktooth) ?
(or is there a faster way getting same quality, or would you suggest something else?)

edit2: i replaced that with sharktooth's qt ce profile:

x264 --pass 1 --bitrate %bitrate% --stats "%video%.stats" --bframes 1 --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "%gentemplateext%"
(should i call that 'turbo 1st pass'?)

x264 --pass 2 --bitrate %bitrate% --stats "%video%.stats" --ref 5 --bframes 1 --subme 6 --b-rdo --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4 --progress --no-psnr --output "%videoext%.mp4" "%gentemplateext%"

----

also, was there a huge quality boost with latest versions of x264.exe or am i just imagining things?

----

edit: another thing: could 'we' get a -ver switch or something that would spit out some oneliner like 'x264 core:42 svn-389M (built by Sharktooth)' ?

Last edited by smok3; 27th December 2005 at 13:36.
Old 27th December 2005, 20:39   #220  |  Link
CrAcKo

wow things are getting too complicated for me, I think I'm better off setting the configuration manually, instead of trying to use scripts.

I think I successfully managed to encode a videoclip which duration is 1:15 minutes, and is 8.44 mb of size. The quality looks good so far...
Closed Thread