Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 4th July 2005, 07:16   #241  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

you can't really play the raw streams. But here's my last attempt at trying to convince you that ffdshow is full of shit: plug in "--fps 29.97" into the Custom Command Line options in the More tab of the x264 codec configuration dialog.. that forces 29.97 output. It will not change anything because x264.exe uses the input fps as output fps.. but just so that you can sleep during the night. Or even better: try mp4box on the file.. here's the commandline: mp4box -info your-mp4.mp4. It'll tell you the properties of the streams.

Seriously though this is it for me. If you trust ffdshow over anything else, even common sense (muxing in audio, compare playlength and playback speed of source and encoded material), nobody will take you seriously around here.
Old 4th July 2005, 07:22   #242  |  Link
Ishan
Anime Vampire

I can confirm ffdshow is often reporting false frame rate. I often get 25fps while the stream is in fact 23.976...
Old 4th July 2005, 12:10   #243  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrhyme
Sounds like a nice app. Decided to give it a try. Downloaded all the appropriate appz's (inluding 7z) only to find out I'm not able to unpack X264CLI_rev270B_mmx.7z (not supported archive) Why do people insist on using this futile compression tool
Futile? It's the best compressor around... however if you watched the build changelog, you would have known i used 7zip 4.23 to compress the files...
Old 4th July 2005, 12:15   #244  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
about the matrices

here's how a line of an 8x8 matrix looks in the reference format (jvt matrix):

and here's one of your lines

6, 7, 8,10,12,14,16,18

You use a trailing comma at the end of each line for the 4x4 matrices (except for the last line), but none for the 8x8 matrices. So if you adapt your matrix to the standard format it'll work. The x264 parser might be more forgiving, MeGUI expects exactly the standard format.
I removed the trailing comma (it was a bug in my matrix editor) but i'll keep the alignment for better readability.
Hope it wont cause problems.

EDIT: ehr... megui still doesnt want to read it...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 4th July 2005 at 12:41.
Old 4th July 2005, 13:25   #245  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I removed the trailing comma (it was a bug in my matrix editor) but i'll keep the alignment for better readability.
Alignments won't cause problems, but I'm afraid you misunderstood.. your 8x8 matrix lack the trailing comma.. the default jvt matrix from the avc reference code has that trailing comma.. so my matrix editor looks for it and uses it as quantizer separator. Your 8x8 matrix looks as follows when read

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 9,10,11,12, 13, 14, 15, 16

then I separate the string by comma.. so these two lines turn into the following lines (quantizer separated by -)
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 9
10-11-12-13-14-15-16

and in the end I don't have all the 64 values as the value at the end of a line and the first of the subsequent value are combined.. and "8 9" cannot be parsed into an int directly. So quant = Int32.Parse("8 9"); throws an exception, which in turn leads to the "invalid quant" error message.
Old 4th July 2005, 13:59   #246  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

...going to buy a pair of googles...
Old 5th July 2005, 19:18   #247  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I see that you've added the trailing comma. If you encounter any problem with my matrix editor please let me know.. I don't think it's a widely used feature and I may not have tested it enough.
Old 5th July 2005, 23:31   #248  |  Link
Sputnik776

I'm trying to use MyGUI but I'm running into an error at a very basic level. I'm trying to open an avs file but get the AVIStreamGetFrameOpen failed error. The same avs file opens fine in both virtual dub 1.6.8 and wmp. Video file in question is using HFYU codec at 640x480. Script posted below.

# Created by AVSEdit
# Admin 6/14/2005
AVISource("c:\quake3sh.avi")
Old 6th July 2005, 11:52   #249  |  Link
berrinam

Hello Sputnik776. Welcome to this forum.

I was able to reproduce your error after a bit of testing. While VirtualDub will not throw an error when opening an avs file without a YV12 decoder, VirtualDubMod will, and MeGUI will throw the AVIStreamGetFrameOpen error for the same reason. Try installing a YV12 decoder (ffdshow, and set Raw Video decoding to All supported in the VFW codec configuration; XviD should also work).

Last edited by berrinam; 6th July 2005 at 11:56.
Old 6th July 2005, 14:11   #250  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I see that you've added the trailing comma. If you encounter any problem with my matrix editor please let me know.. I don't think it's a widely used feature and I may not have tested it enough.
will do
Old 6th July 2005, 16:05   #251  |  Link
lesnick

hello, i have the problems:
1) i cant use 1st pass cording x264 with mencoder: fps -1, time 0

Next job job4-1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"E:\My things\Prog\meGUI\tool\mencoder.exe" "E:\vid\tg.avs" -ovc x264 -o NUL: -passlogfile "2pass.log" -x264encopts pass=1:bitrate=700:bframes=1:b_adapt:subq=1:no8x8mv:nob8x8mv:me=0
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job4-1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log for job job4-1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
job job4-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job4-2
Next job job4-2 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"E:\My things\Prog\meGUI\tool\mencoder.exe" "E:\vid\tg.avs" -ovc x264 -passlogfile "2pass.log" -x264encopts pass=2:bitrate=700:bframes=1:b_adapt:i4x4 -o "E:\vid\gh\ged.264" -of rawvideo
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job4-2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log for job job4-2
The current job was aborted. Stopping queue mode

2) if i use B frames (when i don`t use b frames - all is O.K.) in AVC with mencoder i have file 0 kb:
Log for job job4-1
job job4-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job4-2
Next job job4-2 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"E:\My things\Prog\meGUI\tool\mencoder.exe" "E:\vid\tg.avs" -ovc lavc -passlogfile "2pass.log" -lavcopts vpass=2:vbitrate=700:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:qpel:vqdiff=2:trell -o "E:\vid\gh\ged.m4v" -of rawvideo
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job4-2
Log for job job4-2

[mpeg4 @ 00A9C848]b_frame_strategy must be 0 on the second passCould not open codec.
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x32315659.
desired video bitrate of this job: 700 kbit/s - obtained video bitrate: 0 kbit/s
job job4-2 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job4-3
Next job job4-3 is a mux job. mp4box commandline:
"E:\My things\Prog\meGUI\tool\MP4Box.exe" -add "E:\vid\gh\ged.m4v" -fps 25 -new "E:\vid\gh\ged.mp4"
successfully set up muxer and callbacks for job job4-3
Log for job job4-3

an exception ocurred when trying to read from stdout: Could not find file "E:\vid\gh\ged.mp4".
Old 6th July 2005, 16:22   #252  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Let's start with number two: I see you're using the b-frame reduction mode, and the 2nd pass error message tells me all I need to know.
Looking at the mencoder manpage I found this:
Quote:
vb_strategy=<0-1> (pass one only)
It appears that I missed that one and add vb_strategy to first and second pass, causing your problem. I will fix this in the next version. For now just don't use the adaptive b-frame setting when using lavc.

As for your first problem, I had to consult the manpage again but I'm afraid that's my fault, too. The me=0 option is the culprit.. mencoder uses me=1-4

I guess the error message in both cases would be there, but doesn't have either the word error or anything else I identify as an error in it.. otherwise MeGUI should halt immediately and not start subsequent jobs.
Old 6th July 2005, 17:48   #253  |  Link
lesnick

Sorry for oftop. Can you tell me, what you prefer: Mencoder or x264 for x264 cording, and why? And can you tell me where i can get x264CLI SSE/SSE2 ?
Old 6th July 2005, 17:54   #254  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

x264 CLI (coz it's smaller and is usually more up to date - also, less code, less bugs...) and it already comes with SSE/SSE2. The MMX suffix is there to warn ppl it REQUIRES AT LEAST MMX to work.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 6th July 2005 at 18:12.
Old 6th July 2005, 17:55   #255  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Mencoder or x264 for x264 cording, and why?
It depends.. if you want AVI output, mencoder is clearly preferable. If you want mp4 output, x264 is more practical. Right now with the summer break this one doesn't matter much, but the reason I added support for another encoder in a mencoder GUI is because x264.exe is smaller and more up-to-date.. we're lucky to get one mencoder build a week, but the latest x264 compilations are out only hours after a new revision has been committed.

But I'm glad you're using mencoder.. you discovered two bugs.. not good for me but good for all the other users.
Old 6th July 2005, 18:19   #256  |  Link
lesnick

Thanks for prompt replies. I shall wait the following release
Old 6th July 2005, 20:27   #257  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Alright, before I unleash the one click mode upon the world here's the list of caveats for the upcoming release:

You will need to create a profile for the audio and video codec you're going to use.

Set AR to Auto Detect in the one click window or make sure you select the proper one manually.

DVDs with MPEG audio might cause problems.. if you have one, please get me the stream info file. The same applies to LPCM tracks.

AVI output in the one click window has NOT!! been tested. Trying to use it might make your head explode.

The language selection seems to suffer from the fact that depending on where you bought a DVD, the language might be indicated using the native name (like Français), or the English name. Currently, MeGUI only supports English names. Whether or not it will be possible to support both is currently under investigation.

I moved around a LOT!! of tested code which inevitably might lead to problems. It is therefore crucial that those who try the one click mode and run into problem, try reproducing the problem using a "lesser" mode. So here's the how to for the various parts:

Opening a video source: start the dgindex project creator (control-d), and set it up just like you did set up the job in the one click window

DGIndex problem: same as above, try reproducing in the dgindex project creator window

DGIndex has run successfully but jobs are not properly created: try the AviSynth project creator (Control-A in the main gui). Open your d2v, check "autocrop", check "suggest resolution", check "on save close and load", then press save. This reproduces the steps that will be taken after running dgindex in the one click window.

Problem encoding/muxing: try using the auto mode using the same video and audio profile and the video/audio you got demuxed.

Since the code is the same, bugfixing will always be done first in the separate modules (easier scenarios).
Old 6th July 2005, 20:57   #258  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

alright, the new release is out now.
Old 7th July 2005, 04:01   #259  |  Link
haubrija

Ok... I'm laying myself out for ridicule... but I don't want anyone else to go through the same thing.

I set up my jobs doing an auto encode. Come back in the morning and my mp4 is way oversized. Plus it has no audio. I'm thinking what the hell?

Doom9... it might be a good idea to have megui perform a check so the user doesn't name both the video and audio output the same thing hence overwriting one of their jobs in the process. I realize this may be a little redundant and no one else may make my idiotic mistake...but just in case

btw love your tool. Keep up the good work.
Old 7th July 2005, 08:30   #260  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Doom9... it might be a good idea to have megui perform a check so the user doesn't name both the video and audio output the same thing hence overwriting one of their jobs in the process.
Well, I could certainly do that.

As for the oversize I would need to see your logfile..