Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th September 2015, 13:54   #32781  |  Link
BrainDedd

I am getting a black screen when upscaling with DXVA with 0.89.0 and 0.89.1 on my home machine (Win7 x64 GTX970) and my work machine (Win8.1 x64 Geforce 220.)
Seems to work fine with alternative methods.
Downscaling with DXVA just crashes MPC.
BrainDedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 14:46   #32782  |  Link
FIX94

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ouch! Never heard about this one before. Have you tried different driver versions? This very much sounds like a driver bug to me.
It happens with the omega 14.12, all windows update driver updates and the current stable 15.7.1 and again in directx 9 and 11, also I did update to the current 0.89.1 which didnt change a thing so I dont think it can be a driver bug.
FIX94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 14:48   #32783  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Makes sense, I hope?
Totally.

Congrats for your newly implemented features, as usual very innovative and useful.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 15:31   #32784  |  Link
Sarasa
Lost In The Web

Not sure if it can help you madshi to identify the problem I reported in post #32788

But I tested again with different videos resolution, here go the result
The second Chroma line (with Jinc AR) don't appear with a 640*480 / 652*480 / 720*480 or a 848*480 video, but appear with a 638*480 or smaller
MPCHC - madVR - Lav Filters - XySubFilter
Sarasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 16:03   #32785  |  Link

After going through some videos and doing more testing:

Profile support for Zoom Control would be nice.
I'd probably set things up so that Blu-rays are untouched - not that I have experienced any issues, just that I can't think of any examples which would need it.
I'd have DVDs set up to crop and clean up bad edges.
And all other videos would only crop the edges.

Regarding the "cleanup image borders" option.
As far as I can tell, this is telling the player to crop the image by X amount of pixels.
Unless the aspect ratio of the film matches the aspect ratio of your screen, it means that only two of the edges will be cropped.
Would it be possible for madVR to draw black bars over those areas so that all four sides are cropped equally?
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 16:04   #32786  |  Link
videonerd

Quote:
The newer madVR builds also continue to render in paused and stopped mode. The purpose of that is that some media players want to continue rendering their GUIs even in paused/stopped mode. Now when you change playrate, it seems that no new frames are being rendered for a while, so madVR switches into paused/stopped mode rendering, so the media player's GUI still works. Since the old frames are already gone, you get a black screen instead. The old madVR build in this situation simply did "nothing", so the old frame was still visible.

In order to avoid this specific problem I've implemented a delay after which madVR switches into paused/stopped mode. In v0.88.21 and older builds it was 1 second, I think. I've already increased it to 2 seconds now in v0.89.1. So maybe the problem is gone now for you in v0.89.1?
Hi madshi. No change in 89.1 - still the same behaviour i.e. blank screen when changing playrate in mpchc64. Perhaps it is not the delay in switching to paused/stopped mode since even testing on the lowest bitrate video, there is still a split-second blank screen as before which maybe points to 1 frame of blankness regardless. This also happens when reducing playrate, not only increasing which means that the decoder/present queues are not being stressed (if that is your suspicion initially). I've further tested by maxing out all the various queues just to be sure.
videonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 17:02   #32787  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
In a future madVR version (not implemented in v0.89.1 yet!) madVR will report the actual size of the video to the media player
Great! I was going to ask for it

Black bars detection doesn't work with interlaced content apparently. It cannot decide on AR. Sample BlackBars.mkv

Last edited by kasper93; 8th September 2015 at 17:26.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 18:28   #32788  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Glad to hear that
Truth be told I can still make it freeze occasionally and I even got the "internal error" mVR crash report once but I would need to do more detective work in order to find an easy way to reproduce. It's a whole lot more stable than before, no question about it

Quote:
Many encodes have hard coded pillarboxing. Some have garbage at the borders. In all those cases madVR will detect the proper video rectangle
Gotcha, 15:9 DVD movies from the 70's are a pain to zoom in.

Last edited by leeperry; 8th September 2015 at 18:35.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 18:54   #32789  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasa View Post
I also have the same bug(?) as zvans18

Tested with a AMV clip, original size 512*384 (as black border MadVR reported size 512*301) > my resolution 1024*1080

My madVR Setting SD Profile :
Chroma upscaling : NNEDI3 32 / SuperRes 1-0.66-0.25
Image downscaling : Lanczos 4 AR
Image doubling : NNEDI3 64-32 (octuple activate)
Image upscaling : Jinc AR
Upscaling refinement : SuperRes 1-0.66 (only once/apply first)

in D3D11 Fullscreen Exclusive (10bit) OSD say
Chroma > Nnedi32
Image > Nnedi64 > Nnedi64 < Lanczos4 AR
Choma > Jinc AR > Jinc AR

And when SR in refinement is off
Chroma > Nnedi32
I've tried with the same settings as you, but I can't reproduce this. With SR in refinement off I get:

Chroma > Nnedi32
Choma > Jinc AR

With SR in refinement on I get:

Chroma > Nnedi32
Choma > Jinc AR > Jinc AR

Which might be a bit weird, too, but different to what you're reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
Hi, I want to report that I am still having problems with the newer versions of madVR with JRiver Media Center 20, the latest version i can use without problems is 0.88.16, after thar no one works. No problems with MPC-HC so far.

Bug Report link: http://www.megafileupload.com/9irK/bugreport.txt
This is a crash in madVR's IVTC algorithm. Does this happen with all videos? I've tried to reproduce this here, but MC20 doesn't crash for me, even if I play videos which automatically activate madVR's IVTC algorithm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Thx. I tried a lot of different things and disabling dpi scaling in Windows did the trick. Now 2160p is working in FSE and 10 bit.
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIX94 View Post
It happens with the omega 14.12, all windows update driver updates and the current stable 15.7.1 and again in directx 9 and 11, also I did update to the current 0.89.1 which didnt change a thing so I dont think it can be a driver bug.
Well, Windows is designed so that user mode software / applications should never be able (even intentionally) to crash the OS or a driver. Generally, if a driver crashes it's usually a bug in the driver.

Anyway. Are you using Crossfire? If so, try disabling it. If not, do you have the options "use a separate device for presentation" or "use a separate device for DXVA" enabled? If so, try deactivating them. Also try disabling D3D11 presentation, if you have that enabled. Does any of that help? Have you tried resetting madVR to default settings, just as a test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Congrats for your newly implemented features, as usual very innovative and useful.
Thanks!

(Unfortunately I fear the things I innovate are going to be copied soon, as usual lately...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasa View Post
Not sure if it can help you madshi to identify the problem I reported in post #32788

But I tested again with different videos resolution, here go the result
The second Chroma line (with Jinc AR) don't appear with a 640*480 / 652*480 / 720*480 or a 848*480 video, but appear with a 638*480 or smaller
Can you provide a small sample, and ideally also your madVR settings? (See "settings.bin" in your madVR folder, if madVR can write to it. Otherwise registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR\Settings.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Profile support for Zoom Control would be nice.
Yes, definitely. And also for the whole device section.

Quote:
I'd probably set things up so that Blu-rays are untouched - not that I have experienced any issues, just that I can't think of any examples which would need it.
I can. E.g. Twelve Monkeys starts pillarboxed. Budapest Hotel switches between all kinds of ARs, some of which are heavily pillarboxed, too. That said, most Blu-Rays don't need any help, that's true. On the other hand, black bar detection should also not harm, if it works as intended. For perfectly encoded Blu-Ray the black bar detection stuff should simply do nothing, if you set it up that way.

Quote:
Regarding the "cleanup image borders" option.
As far as I can tell, this is telling the player to crop the image by X amount of pixels.
Unless the aspect ratio of the film matches the aspect ratio of your screen, it means that only two of the edges will be cropped.
Would it be possible for madVR to draw black bars over those areas so that all four sides are cropped equally?
That's what the "clear black bars" option will do, once it's available. Actually it will do more: It will completely remove all pixels that are classified as belonging to a black bar, which should bring a nice performance boost. E.g. Cinemascope movies should gain around 25% performance... Ah yes, another reason to keep black bar detection active even for cleanly encoded Blu-Rays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
Black bars detection doesn't work with interlaced content apparently. It cannot decide on AR.
Thanks, will be fixed in the next build. It's not that it couldn't decide. The black bar detection simply wasn't applied to the double framerate frames. So every other frame had the black bar features applied to it, and the remaining frames didn't. Ooops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonerd View Post
Hi madshi. No change in 89.1 - still the same behaviour i.e. blank screen when changing playrate in mpchc64. Perhaps it is not the delay in switching to paused/stopped mode since even testing on the lowest bitrate video, there is still a split-second blank screen as before which maybe points to 1 frame of blankness regardless. This also happens when reducing playrate, not only increasing which means that the decoder/present queues are not being stressed (if that is your suspicion initially). I've further tested by maxing out all the various queues just to be sure.
Ok, I've double checked. The problem is that playrate changes are done by completely stopping the graph and then restarting it. This 2 second timeout I have for seeks only works because I know in advance when a seek occurs. But I don't know when playrate changes. MPC-HC doesn't tell me that playrate changes. I just see that the graph is stopped. And I think it would not be good if I waited multiple seconds then until I resumed rendering. So at the moment there's not so much I can do about it. I'll put it on my to do list, though, maybe I'll find a better solution in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDedd View Post
I am getting a black screen when upscaling with DXVA with 0.89.0 and 0.89.1 on my home machine (Win7 x64 GTX970) and my work machine (Win8.1 x64 Geforce 220.)
Seems to work fine with alternative methods.
Downscaling with DXVA just crashes MPC.
Can't reproduce a crash, but I can reproduce some problems related to DXVA scaling. Will have a look at it.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 19:13   #32790  |  Link
ADude

Quote:
* added new device "screen config" settings page
* added screen masking feature
* added support for anamorphic stretch
* added new processing "zoom control" settings page
* added automatic detection of black bars with lots of sub options
Can someone explain what these features do ? Does not have to be long and elaborate, but the words "zoom" "masking" and "black bars" are far less precise and ambiguous than everything else in madVR.

Thanks !
Old 8th September 2015, 19:32   #32791  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADude View Post
Can someone explain what these features do ? Does not have to be long and elaborate, but the words "zoom" "masking" and "black bars" are far less precise and ambiguous than everything else in madVR.
It would be nice if you could make the effort to read at least *a couple* posts back to see if your question was already asked and/or answered. If you had done that you would have found an explanation, even with screenhots, only 13 posts before yours.
Old 8th September 2015, 19:41   #32792  |  Link

Quote:
That's what the "clear black bars" option will do, once it's available. Actually it will do more: It will completely remove all pixels that are classified as belonging to a black bar, which should bring a nice performance boost. E.g. Cinemascope movies should gain around 25% performance... Ah yes, another reason to keep black bar detection active even for cleanly encoded Blu-Rays...
Oh I like the sound of that.

I was really thinking that I'd prefer to err on the side of caution with Blu-ray since the majority of them do touch the edges of a 16:9 screen, but it does sound like it would be best left enabled at all times, and I'll just use profiles to specify whether edges should be cropped etc.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 19:44   #32793  |  Link
FIX94

Quote:
Anyway. Are you using Crossfire? If so, try disabling it. If not, do you have the options "use a separate device for presentation" or "use a separate device for DXVA" enabled? If so, try deactivating them. Also try disabling D3D11 presentation, if you have that enabled. Does any of that help? Have you tried resetting madVR to default settings, just as a test?
Just reset to default settings, still happend. What I did notice though is that using DXVA2 copy-back in LAV produces the crash in a matter of seconds, I tested DXVA2 direct and none in LAV too for a while and I did not get a crash though I know that it can crash eventually too with having the status window open. Its so weird that having it not open never produces any crashing for me.
Old 8th September 2015, 19:45   #32794  |  Link
ADude

Quote:
It would be nice if you could make the effort to read at least *a couple* posts back to see if your question was already asked and/or answered. If you had done that you would have found an explanation, even with screenhots, only 13 posts before yours.
I did see that post.

I think as developer you are too close to the project, to understand what I mean (which is why I said "someone" - in addition to the fact that someone else could save the time of the developer by explaining).

The post 13 back gave "possible uses".

What I am looking for is an explanation of what the phrases mean.

A "black bar" is a visually black area outside of the desired image, usually due to the screen being a different aspect ratio than the video.

So what is being detected ? What is being "masked" by what ?

Is "zoom" simply adding to madVR the same frame size changing that previously required the player itself ?

Last edited by ADude; 8th September 2015 at 19:47.
ADude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 19:52   #32795  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Just reset to default settings, still happend. What I did notice though is that using DXVA2 copy-back in LAV produces the crash in a matter of seconds, I tested DXVA2 direct and none in LAV too for a while and I did not get a crash though I know that it can crash eventually too with having the status window open. Its so weird that having it not open never produces any crashing for me.
It's really weird. Especially because I don't remember anyone else reporting a similar problem, ever. Not sure what to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADude View Post
What I am looking for is an explanation of what the phrases mean.
See the first image in that post 13 posts back. The black bars I'm talking about are those "encoded letterboxes" described in that image. Also look at all the other images in that post and try to understand what purpose they have in the context of that post, then you should get a pretty good idea what it's all about.
Old 8th September 2015, 20:01   #32796  |  Link
FIX94

Quote:
It's really weird. Especially because I don't remember anyone else reporting a similar problem, ever. Not sure what to say...
Hm, thats pretty rare to have a problem nobody else has, also DXVA2 direct just full crashed my system after having the status window up for 3 minutes, needed to hard reset my system cause it froze, also when it does freeze it mainly sets my screen into one solid color and sometimes it comes back with windows telling me it reset the driver, sometimes it just stays there and theres nothing I can do. It seems as if having DXVA2 disabled leaves it crashless the longest from what I can tell so far, is this some sort of GPU accessing issue?

Last edited by FIX94; 8th September 2015 at 20:04.
Old 8th September 2015, 20:06   #32797  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

AMD is known to be a bit unstable with DXVA2, well, at least I have heard plenty of reports and experienced a bunch of fun myself. You might have found one of those fun occasions.
Old 8th September 2015, 20:08   #32798  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Hm, thats pretty rare to have a problem nobody else has, also DXVA2 direct just full crashed my system after having the status window up for 3 minutes, needed to hard reset my system cause it froze, also when it does freeze it mainly sets my screen into one solid color and sometimes it comes back with windows telling me it reset the driver, sometimes it just stays there and theres nothing I can do. It seems as if having DXVA2 disabled leaves it crashless the longest from what I can tell so far, is this some sort of GPU accessing issue?
I'm not sure. I used to have lots of weird stability issues with DXVA/DXVA2 hardware decoding back in the old days with Windows XP, when madVR didn't exist yet. Since those days I've always used software decoding.
Old 8th September 2015, 20:14   #32799  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.89.2 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: one more media player startup crash
* fixed: DXVA deinterlacing and black bar detection didn't like each other
* fixed: DXVA scaling had some problems with v0.89.0 and v0.89.1
* fixed: some media player size/pos zoom wishes were not properly applied
Old 8th September 2015, 21:07   #32800  |  Link
zvans18

Quote:
Strange. I can't reproduce that here. Are you sure you're looking at the right line in the OSD? When using NNEDI3 for luma doubling, but *not* for chroma doubling, there are actually two "chroma" lines in the OSD.
SR on: http://i.imgur.com/l0aNhH1.png
SR off: http://i.imgur.com/maff9s2.png

i use nnedi3 32 for chroma and doubling chroma

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling