Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th April 2011, 20:38   #7541  |  Link
Hprd

Hmm well the special version didn't do anything, but i found something else out... I guess b4 i didn't test it quite enough on dx9 mode , as i have found out that using the "overshoot max frame latency" on dx9, dx11 still getting glitches no matter what fyi, (and nothing else more is needed, if i put the limit option on, the que goes down, so maybe i'd be more resiliant that way, if i had the thread option on as well, it would get some glitches once and a while, i'll need to test with that 13 minute clip again i think to find some conclusive evidence), i get playback that appears to be the same as dx11 mode on v59 with both options checked . This was with v61, or the special build (so i just put the regular v61 back in).

Last edited by Hprd; 30th April 2011 at 20:41.
Hprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 21:50   #7542  |  Link
Hprd

Ok, after some testing, i can conclude that playback with the glitch hack on (or well what used to be call that), but dx11 off, plus ONLY overshoot max frame latency, i get the same results as v59, zero drops/delays or glitches on my 13 minute test video. Putting limit rendering times on actually i saw could lead to glitches. As on one video the present que got down to 0-4/10, then had a glitch b4 filling up a bit (back up to 2-4/10, or something like that), so this, plus run in a seperate thread are quite useless now (as having all three i noticed more glitches than with just the other two, and i'm certain it wasn't a coincidence. Plus having both the limit option and this on, but the other off, is no different as having all 3 off.)

Also, another idea for a future feature perhaps... Have a check to turn resolution switching completly on or off (for the most part i wouldn't use it, as on testing is probably when it'd be most effective, still there are some situations when at least i would benifit from it otherwise, not sure about other ppl though), as sometimes if i want to play back a video at 60hz for example, the best way to do it currently is to delete all the resolutions (as putting 60p in the filename just makes madvr have to due more work, and thus creating more glitches, maybe there could be a tweak with this instead though?), then retype them back in when i want the auto switching back (which isn't THAT big of a deal though, just sort of tedious, lol).

EDIT: Actually, due to something, i just found that if i put 60p in the filename, i don't get glitches anymore like on v59, so tweaking that option doesn't seem useful anymore, at least for me.

Last edited by Hprd; 3rd May 2011 at 04:12.
Hprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 23:24   #7543  |  Link
Superb

Bug (?):
using the d3d11 path, when double clicking out of an exclusive fullscreen mode to windowed mode, the mpc-hc window covers the entire screen (instead of getting back to the original size).
Happens on my secondary tv-monitor.
Doesn't happen on my primary monitor or when using d3d9 path.

--------------------------

I just upgraded from madVR 0.58 to 0.61.
Now, I have a TV running at 23.976Hz as a secondary monitor.
The only option I changed was setting flush & wait (sleep) on the third box (for exclusive mode), as it helped me avoid glitches in 0.58.
I can't stop frame drops every 3 minutes (as madVR reports). Why? The clocks are nearly the same (23.976 video).
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 23:30   #7544  |  Link
Superb

Just happened when double clicking to go full screen:

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure if it was double clicking, pressing CTRL+E or pressing CTRL+R which caused it. :/
Old 1st May 2011, 02:02   #7545  |  Link
oddball

With experimental vsync build. Used my 60Hz monitor and disabled ReClock.

DX11 I seem to get glitches no matter what settings I use.

DX9 mode, 4 preframes, 3 options unticked. all options set to don't flush = glitches.
DX9 mode, 4 preframes, all options ticked. All set to don't flush. Very few dropped frames at start. 0 dropped frames. 0 delayed frames. Deviation hovers around 0.00100 most of the time.
DX9 mode, 4 preframes, all options ticked. Flush, Flush wait and sleep, don't flush, don't flush. Very few dropped frames at start (maybe 6-9) 0 dropped after. Deviation is lower at around 0.00050
DX9 mode, 4 preframes, only last sub option ticked, flush, flush wait and sleep, don't flush, don't flush. Dropped frames on occasion. I get better results if I tick at least the bottom two sub options.

ReClock gives slightly more initial dropped frames and 1 or 2 delayed frames at startup.

There appear to be no gains from increasing the number of preframes from default.

Last edited by oddball; 1st May 2011 at 02:10.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 02:34   #7546  |  Link
Superb

Bug: sometimes when right clicking the tray icon, another tray icon menu opens up (the clock's right click menu). I remember eMule had the same issue and one of the developers found the cause. Maybe google will point in the right direction.

EDIT:
after some searching in Google... maybe you catch WM_RBUTTONDOWN instead of the proper WM_RBUTTONUP?

Last edited by Superb; 1st May 2011 at 03:14.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:35   #7547  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
DX9 mode, 4 preframes, all options ticked. All set to don't flush. Very few dropped frames at start. 0 dropped frames. 0 delayed frames. Deviation hovers around 0.00100 most of the time.
DX9 mode, 4 preframes, all options ticked. Flush, Flush wait and sleep, don't flush, don't flush. Very few dropped frames at start (maybe 6-9) 0 dropped after. Deviation is lower at around 0.00050
Will try these two here and report back.

EDIT: Tried the first one. Playback went crazy after 8 minutes.
Frames jumping back and fourth. As if the frames were showing in the wrong order.
Maybe a thread synchronizing issue? Pausing and resuming fixed playback.
Pressing CTRL+J revealed no glitches at all, and no delayed frames. Dropped frames were crazy (>400), which is consistent w/ what i saw.
I'll try the exact same setup w/ the first option unticked ("run presentation in a separate thread") and report back.

EDIT2: after 35 mins of a smooth playback, I think that "run presentation in a separate thread" was probably the cause for the "jumpy" playback I experienced in the first EDIT. maybe it has a bug?
I had 12 dropped frames in 35 minutes (i pressed CTRL+R after seeking to 8:xx) . 0 delayed. 0 glitches.

Last edited by Superb; 1st May 2011 at 04:18.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:45   #7548  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
AFAIK 15 is the max I can set. The thread priorities are not absolute values but "difference" values to the process priority. If you want max priority you can try setting the media player process to "realtime" with the task manager. Doing so should make the VSync thread have priority 31.
I see what you mean. The calling process would need to be in the 'Real Time' class, and force all threads into the 16-31 range (which is bad). The Idle, Below Normal, Normal, Above Normal, and High process priority classes do seem to max out at 15 for thread priority. Thread priority is the important value, while process priority is just for boosting or lowering the base thread priority (minimum 1 to max 15). Time-critical appears unique, that it never changes from 15, and has the same effect even when the process priority is set to Idle. In that case, scratch that idea, and just keep it at 15, at least it's better than 10 (there is no 13) which 0.59-0.61 was set to. By the looks of it, Reclock also uses a value of 15 for one of its active non-resampler threads.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 1st May 2011 at 05:15.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 09:10   #7549  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I finally got around to testing 0.61 a bit, and i found one case that bugged out on me.

With "use separate device for presentation" ON, and "run presentation in a separate thread" also ON, i get massive glitching (visible, too).

If i turn either one off, its perfect again. DX11 didn't seem to make a difference.

This was on a NVIDIA GTS450.

PS:
Both off is perfect, too.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 1st May 2011 at 09:21.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 11:18   #7550  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I finally got around to testing 0.61 a bit, and i found one case that bugged out on me.

With "use separate device for presentation" ON, and "run presentation in a separate thread" also ON, i get massive glitching (visible, too).

If i turn either one off, its perfect again. DX11 didn't seem to make a difference.

This was on a NVIDIA GTS450.

PS:
Both off is perfect, too.
Consistent w/ what I saw (see EDIT here), only that it manifested as jumpy playback on my machine.
Old 1st May 2011, 12:43   #7551  |  Link
Aleq

I had the same issue as Superb - suddenly (after many minutes of flawless playback) the frames started to be inconsistent - something like 1-2-3-4-...here it start...-2-5-3-6-.... (this does not precisely describe what happend, just my feeling that the order of the frames was suddenly mixed within a consecutive set of let's say 15 frames).

Guys, I must be blind but where do I set the refresh rates/resolution in madVR as I have seen it's recommended to try madVR resolution/refresh changer instead of the one in MPC-HC? Thans in advance.
Aleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 13:53   #7552  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleq View Post
Guys, I must be blind but where do I set the refresh rates/resolution in madVR as I have seen it's recommended to try madVR resolution/refresh changer instead of the one in MPC-HC? Thans in advance.
Under devices->your monitor->display modes.
Old 1st May 2011, 14:23   #7553  |  Link
Aleq

Blindness indeed. Thanks
Aleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 14:32   #7554  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleq View Post
Blindness indeed. Thanks
Don't feel bad, I had the same problem a few pages back cause I didn't see it either.
Old 1st May 2011, 14:56   #7555  |  Link
oddball

I've noticed more of a problem when ReClock is in the chain combined with a monitor that cannot change it's refresh rate. If I use ReClock and set MPC-HC to change the fullscreen refresh rate of my HDTV I get 0 glitches. Maybe a single delayed frame and a few dropped frames at the beginning. If trying to playback 23.976FPS on a 60Hz only display ReClock will interfere somewhat with MadVR as ReClock cannot match the refresh to the FPS. I guess this is normal. But without ReClock it behaves a little better in that situation. I wonder how many are watching on computer monitors with a fixed refresh rate compared to a HDTV which supports multiple refresh rates. Also I wonder how many are using ReClock. Only using all of MPC-HC's internal filters and no external filters is fair when trying to debug MadVR I would think. Even I forgot to do this (apart from disabling ReClock) when posting my results. Which may make any results worthless.

Saying that however I am getting great results using default settings and only ticking the three sub option boxes (in MadVR) using my HDTV. The only issue I have run into is when some anime videos do a weird framerate change part way through or where there was a scrolling text section and they encoded to 23.976FPS. MadVR goes into this repeating frame judder when that happens. (No idea why the scrolling text would make MadVR bug out like that since it's 23.976FPS throughout the episode).

BTW is there any way to capture the stats display to a file? Or a logging option I have missed? I think it would be far better if people could post their results in a manner where Madshi can see which options were enabled and what the stats were. Not sure why he has not done this rather than asking us to post spurious details that are less objective.

Last edited by oddball; 1st May 2011 at 15:13.
Old 1st May 2011, 15:01   #7556  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
The only issue I have run into is when some anime videos do a weird framerate change part way through or where there was a scrolling text section and they encoded to 23.976FPS. MadVR goes into this repeating frame judder when that happens. (No idea why the scrolling text would make MadVR bug out like that since it's 23.976FPS throughout the episode).
The scrolling text probably bugged up the encoding (nothing you can do about it).
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 16:16   #7557  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
The scrolling text probably bugged up the encoding (nothing you can do about it).
No I don't mean the usual jerking you get with scrolling text sections in some anime. I mean it actually affects playback. If I hit arrow left to go back a bit it does not do it other than the usual scrolling text jerkiness. It's an entirely different effect. MadVR (Or MPC-hC or perhaps a combination of filters I'm not sure) does a weird repeating frame thing like it's bouncing between each frame several times. I've only seen this happening since build 0.61 and the latest MPC-HC and ffdshow (I tend to update them all at the same time for each build).
Old 1st May 2011, 16:46   #7558  |  Link
oddball

I'm unable to get the MadVR resolution switching to work correctly. It supposedly overrides MPC-HC's fullscreen modes. I have it set thus.

1080p23, 1080p50, 1080i50, 1080i59, 720p23, 720p50, 720p60

I have 720p60 because I do have a true 60fps video I use to test.

Whenever I playback a 720p 23.976FPS file video it always defaults to 1080p23. However if I play a 720p 29.97FPS video it always defaults to 720p60.

Also when playing back 1080p 25FPS .ts files it plays at 720p60 (even if I use ReClock to PAL speedown).

Am I doing something wrong? I can understand if my HDTV does not support 720p at 24p/Hz but the .ts files are throwing me somewhat.

EDIT: OK changing 720p60 to 720p59 sorts out the .ts problem. But I still have 720p23 ending up as 1080p23. Could that be because my HDTV does not support 23/24 @ 720p?

Last edited by oddball; 1st May 2011 at 20:23.
Old 1st May 2011, 20:48   #7559  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

srt support is possible?
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 20:56   #7560  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
srt support is possible?
madVR already provides the players with the interface they need to render subtitles. It works well w/ MPC-HC (and probably other players, like PotPlayer).

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling