Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 11th January 2007, 03:23   #541  |  Link
DerKönig

@Frank:

so did you use the Japanese version 8 of WinDVD capable of HD-DVD playback?
DerKönig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 03:24   #542  |  Link
VistaVick

I can confirm it has been done....only a matter of time before it spreads.
VistaVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 03:41   #543  |  Link
Isochroma

WinDVD has a plugin that allows it to play HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. The plugin is available but they state on their site that:
HD DVD and Blu-ray Playback Support:
To be purchased separately. Available soon - check back often!
It is already available but they seem to be making it hard to get the plugin.

Regarding the player key, there are only three scenarios (only if the player key is leaked):

1. Players each have an individual key.
Revoking one player's key means no consequences for everyone else, but if many are cracked, the 1MB revocation table on HD-DVD discs will fill up rapidly.

Losers: AACS LA
Winners: Consumers, crackers (when table is full).
2. Each brand/version of a player has only a single key.
Revoking this key means a large number of people will be very angry, file lawsuits, etc.

Losers: large number of player-buying consumers, definitely software publisher.
Winners: AACS LA
3. Groups of 50-1000 players each have a unique key.
Revoking this key means significant groups of people will be very angry, file lawsuits, etc.

Losers: medium-sized blocks of player-buying consumers, possibly software publisher.
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 04:51   #544  |  Link
noclip

Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
If looking for the the FAQ.txt key snippet doesn't work, maybe the easiest would be playing the movie "Van Helsing" and only look for memory locations starting with 19 to find the title key.
Maybe try to first play Van Helsing and then play for example Tomb Raider 1 and then look for memory locations changing from 19 to 6 (is it 06 ??).

Code:
CE6339246F34087AB355681DEB656D23DCD5BD86=Full Metal Jacket        | 1-00000000000000000000000000000000
486198E3855B57CD40F6DC0C60645BDE8E1E9AC5=Van Helsing              |19-00000000000000000000000000000000
B5A8E784B83E793AB246D0C5F7C148A39D7F4856=Tomb Raider 1            | 6-00000000000000000000000000000000
4ACABE525F5CBF77DAA43EA2B83E04918D5FA6D4=Apollo 13                | 1-00000000000000000000000000000000
3D357B0653A66176583C5218FD0149EAF8832FB0=The Last Samurai         | 1-00000000000000000000000000000000
610CF1EB362D40050123E92F063D51AC05676F37=The Fugitive             | 1-00000000000000000000000000000000
Field 1 is the SHA1 Hash of the VTKF000.AACS file on your HDDVD disk, you can use this to make sure you got the same movie version as used above.
That's just Muslix's bizarre way of formatting the title key index, which is worthless.
noclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 05:32   #545  |  Link
Janvitos

If anybody knows where i could buy / get a copy of WinDVD HD, that would be great.

Thanks.
Janvitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 05:37   #546  |  Link
Warren

Instructions on how to buy WinDVD 8 HD from intervideo.co.jp are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8871286
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 05:49   #547  |  Link
Janvitos

Thanks Warren,

I just bought WinDVD 8 HD (Jap) and am downloading right now.
I will update you with results (if any).

I will also put it up for download on torrentspy for those interested.
I will post the link when i have.

This might speed up things a bit

Last edited by Janvitos; 11th January 2007 at 08:54.
Old 11th January 2007, 07:12   #548  |  Link
CowBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post
1. Players each have an individual key.
Revoking one player's key means no consequences for everyone else, but if many are cracked, the 1MB revocation table on HD-DVD discs will fill up rapidly.

Losers: AACS LA
Winners: Consumers, crackers (when table is full).
2. Each brand/version of a player has only a single key.
Revoking this key means a large number of people will be very angry, file lawsuits, etc.

Losers: large number of player-buying consumers, definitely software publisher.
3. Groups of 50-1000 players each have a unique key.
Revoking this key means significant groups of people will be very angry, file lawsuits, etc.

Losers: medium-sized blocks of player-buying consumers, possibly software publisher.
Isn't it in the AACS specs that the AACS Specs will only take the most current version of the MKB (Media Key Block) File? As soon as HD-DVD burners come out doesn't this mean that we might be-able to create a MKB File that has a Max Version number of the MKB file and make the contents of that file Invalid but Valid. If that doesn't make sense what I mean is to create a MKB file that has a MAX Version number while containing only one players/host key or even an invalid file all together. This would thus create a hard coded file on the drive itself that wouldn't accept any other MKB file since it already has the highest version.

I can see it now really....any .ISO or some other version that is labeled "HDDVDUnlock.*"

I hope that someone is able to test this theory out in due time and minimal cost (Emulate and burn minimal time please! Save yourself the $$$$)
CowBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 07:31   #549  |  Link
Janvitos

Unfortunately i can't post the link but you can easily find it on mininova.
Hint: Do a search for "windvd hd"

Make sure you install it in "HD" mode and that you run WinDVD HD when you want to watch an HD-DVD movie.
(You will have 2 folders, WinDVD and WinDVD HD)

Also, if the program freezes on startup, try starting it by loading any movie file on your computer and then switching to the HD-DVD movie source.

Let's hope this gets us to the long awaited keys.

Btw, WinDVD is much nicer / quicker than PowerDVD with HD-DVD playback.

Last edited by Janvitos; 11th January 2007 at 09:50.
Old 11th January 2007, 10:32   #550  |  Link
calinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janvitos View Post
I just bought WinDVD 8 HD (Jap) and am downloading right now.
I will update you with results (if any).
How did you get past the "Your machine is not configured for Japanese. Please download the English (US) version of WinDVD" popup from the Japanese version installer?

Update: I found a guide. http://greggman.com/japan/xp-ime/xp-ime.htm

Not sure if it works yet.

Last edited by calinb; 11th January 2007 at 11:02.
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 10:43   #551  |  Link
cyber1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaVick View Post
Nice, wonder what the people who called Muslix64 "a moron" is thinking now...

As a programmer I never doubted Muslix64 claims, since the key always (at some point) will reside in memory, in every software player, otherwise it will not be able to play HD-DVD files at all.
cyber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 10:54   #552  |  Link
Warren

calinb, the Japanese WinDVD HD 8 doesn't display that error - at least it didn't for me and I don't even have the Japanese language pack installed.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 11:21   #553  |  Link
calinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
calinb, the Japanese WinDVD HD 8 doesn't display that error - at least it didn't for me and I don't even have the Japanese language pack installed.
Weird! I downloaded WinDVD8.exe from www.intervideo.co.jp. It's 120,270 KB. Following the guide up to the point where you set Japanese for "Language for non-Unicode programs" allowed me to install it, however.

I should have followed the avsforum guide. I can't read kanji.

Last edited by calinb; 11th January 2007 at 11:38.
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 11:40   #554  |  Link
mixanobios

I have been reading this thread since it begining, and i would like to post my thoughts.

1) As i understand it, actual content on a AACS protected disc is encoded with ONE(1) key, or at most a handful of keys, correct? i could refrase that by saying that there is a AES-128 key that can decrypt content on each AACS protected disk. lets call that "final decryption key". i think that these are the title keys refered in muslix's FAQ.

2) if we manage to hack a drive firmware (if it is needed) and create a program that can read HDDVD or BD sector by sector, bypassing the whole AACS authentication process, then, provided we have title keys, we can decode any disk we want to, regardless of any revocation stuff correct?

So, all we need to completely break AACS is a list with title keys for every disk, a program that can extract HDDVD and BD sector by sector, read their structure and decode them using the title keys, and possibly a drive with hacked firmware if such procedure is not allowed by current firmwares.

The good thing about this is that title keys need only be extracted ONCE per batch of disks, and posted to a site.

Is my line of thinking correct? please comment

Related : http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1106

Last edited by mixanobios; 11th January 2007 at 12:19. Reason: added link to freedom to tinker blog
mixanobios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 11:41   #555  |  Link
jlobee

no errors here during install, or playback
jlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 12:17   #556  |  Link
hajj_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaVick View Post
tell us how to do it or release the keys for movies that you own!

i can get them spread as a scene release in an nfo if you want.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 13:20   #557  |  Link
feizex

This has been covered before, but here it is. One more time for the dummies...

Yes there is one key - the volume unique key. Use this to decode the title keys. There's more than one title (video) to a disc. There is one title key for each video. Use the title key to decode the matching video.

BTW, the videos are stored as encrypted files on the disc. There's no need to linearly read the each sector of the disc. All you need is the encrypted video file and the title key.

The AACS authority can revoke drives, hosts and content. Drive as in the physical optical drive. Host as in the software player on the PC. Content as in the HDDVD itself.

They can't revoke volume or title keys. But they can revoke what allows you to get them in the first place IE. drive, software player or disc.

All revocation info is stored on the HDDVD. This info is stamped with a version number. Before anything is played back the revocation lists are checked and updated from the info on the disc (if it has a later version). Copies of the latest revocation lists are stored on the HDDVD drive (in flash ram) and on your PC.

This means that if you insert a disc with info on it that revokes your drive or your player, it will not play anymore certified content (HDDVDs).

There doesn't appear to be anything in the specs to say under what circumstances they would revoke anything. Reality suggests that they would revoke anything which has been compromised.

As has been suggested before the most likely to happen is revocation of the software player because it is too easy to obtain decryption keys from. It has also been suggested that under these circumstances the software provider would produce an update for their product which is more secure. This would need to be recertified by AACS (new Host Certificate and Host ID). Once updated it could play HDDVDs again, but you may not be able to get your decryption keys.

Check out Figure 4-6 Drive Authentication Algorithm for AACS

Here is some more info that explain some of the Revocation process...
"the drive and the PC host verify each counterpart is not revoked by checking the Host
Revocation List (HRL) and the Drive Revocation List (DRL), respectively. To do this, the drive shall store the
most recent HRL it has encountered and the PC host shall store the most recent DRL it has encountered."

It gets revocation info (DRL and HRL) from the Media Key Block (MKB) on the disc. First it checks the DRL that the drive is not revoked. Then it checks the HRL that the Software player is not revoked.

The latest version of HRL is what is stored on the HDDVD drive in it's NVRAM.
"the drive reads an MKB recorded on the media to check if its version is higher than the version of HRL that it has stored in its non-volatile memory. If not, the drive determines to use the HRL in its non-volatile memory for the subsequent drive authentication procedure"

Content revocation...
"Certified Content may be revoked. When this occurs, corresponding revocation information is added to a Content Revocation List". "Licensed replicators shall include the most recent CRL on each pre-recorded medium that they produce".
In the AACS directory there is a file called CONTENT_REVOCATION_LIST.AACS
feizex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 14:11   #558  |  Link
cyber1

Please dont go public which software-player you used to extract keys!

You can publish the volume key and the title keys, but never talk in public which player you used, because then its easy for them to revoke that players key.

Last edited by cyber1; 11th January 2007 at 14:36. Reason: changed to "software-player" to make sure everyone understands...
Old 11th January 2007, 14:28   #559  |  Link
hajj_3

you might aswell post which player it is, we all presume the xbox 360 as its the most common one. if they update the keys in future revisions we can just find the key for that!
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 14:31   #560  |  Link
cyber1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
you might aswell post which player it is, we all presume the xbox 360 as its the most common one. if they update the keys in future revisions we can just find the key for that!

I'm talking about software-players!, you cant extract volume or title keys from an Xbox HD-DVD player, the decoding take place in the computer when using Xbox HD-DVD player.