Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 19th June 2015, 22:54   #1  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

When Are Debancing and Dithering Needed?

I'm still confused about the whole Debanding/Dithering thing.

I wrote a software that contains a Media Encoder that allows upscaling SD content into HD with just a few clicks; GREATLY simplifying the process, especially if you need to convert 50 videos.

Here's a sample video before and after.

Now my question is: would this video benefit from any debanding and/or dithering? What difference do they make? When are those needed?

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 05:59.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 23:08   #2  |  Link
creaothceann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
When are those needed?
Recent example I did on a wallpaper (possibly nsfw)...

original: http://i.imgur.com/gQVFk5W.jpg
fixed: http://i.imgur.com/UwRFR8K.jpg

script:
Code:
ImageSource("source.png", 0, 0)
ConvertToYV12
GradFun3(smode=2, thr=0.35*2, thrc=0.35*2, radius=16, radiusc=16)
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 23:31   #3  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Yes I know what debanding is, but I honestly don't notice any of it in most videos.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:00.
Old 19th June 2015, 23:53   #4  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaothceann View Post
Recent example I did on a wallpaper (possibly nsfw)...
I'm truly shocked by those images. She's not wearing a crash helmet!
Old 20th June 2015, 06:46   #5  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Debanding is the process of removing banding. Usually it's performed by reconstructing gradients to a higher bitdepth.
Imagine having a gradient that goes from 0 to 10 in 20 pixels - you need a >8 bit colorspace to store it.

Dithering is the process of lowering bitdepth. Just dithering makes on sense - you can't lower 8 bits to 8 bits.
After debanding you have 16-bit image - so you have to lower bitdepth at some point. Most debanding filters (if not all) have built-in dithering. Some have an option to output 16-bit image, so you can process it further (read about dither tools) and dither it down to 8/10 only at the end.

Will your video benefit from debanding? Probably just a bit. But you'll need way higher bitrate to encode all noise it adds. Or 10 bits.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 08:56   #6  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

You left enough grain in these videos that there's no appreciable banding -- banding noticeably occurs when a video is too clean, not when it's dirty. Of course you won't get any use out of debanding.

There's a much bigger problem though: The after video exhibits severe judder, so something about your 25->60 frame rate conversion is incorrect. It's producing very jerky video that appears to skip frames several times a second or double up frames too many times, I'm not sure.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 18:31   #7  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
You left enough grain in these videos that there's no appreciable banding -- banding noticeably occurs when a video is too clean, not when it's dirty. Of course you won't get any use out of debanding.

There's a much bigger problem though: The after video exhibits severe judder, so something about your 25->60 frame rate conversion is incorrect. It's producing very jerky video that appears to skip frames several times a second or double up frames too many times, I'm not sure.
I'm using the "Smooth" preset, could that be it? It can cause artifacts.
Old 21st June 2015, 04:02   #8  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

I looked again more carefully at the clip frame by frame and don't see what you're referring to. The only thing I see is "1 frame repeat every 16 seconds"
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:48   #9  |  Link
osgZach

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post

I'm not really seeing the judder either. Maybe my eyes are getting crap with age, all I see is ocassional crap camera-work

I did see one slight jerk in the beginning but that was about it. Couldn't tell after that if it was frame repeats / or shitty camera man when watching in real-time.
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 00:35   #10  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

My bad, I watched one with MPC and one with MPDN. The new one looks smooth on MPC. I'm not sure why MPDN failed with this when it's fine with 1080p, but I'll have to remember that from now on....
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote