Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 17th June 2010, 10:57   #1901  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
With MakeMKV he gives you some nifty options. You can add regular subs, but, he also gives you the option of extracting only the forced subs for each subtitle track. So you have the choice to do full subs, forced subs only, or both meaning it makes a separate sub track for forced. I've got to play with this some more. Haali seems to always pick the first sub track from what I've seen. I don't think there's a way to change the order of the subs so the forced track is first, though.
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 12:25   #1902  |  Link
dbone1026
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 211
For anyone interested, I documented the steps SamuriHL used to get PGS subtitles in mkvs working:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...itles-in-mkvs/
__________________
Cheers,
Damian

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 13:40   #1903  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 11,328
If somebody can oblige, I still would like a short PGS.MKV sample for testing with my Xtreamer and XtreamerPro hardware player...

Many thanks
__________________
| I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout & A/V Gear |
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 14:40   #1904  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
I've still not been able to find a sample short enough with HD audio and PGS subs. The issue is you can't use anything to cut it down in size because it breaks the MKV. It has to be small enough to be done directly in MakeMKV without editing and I simply don't have anything that small in my collection.
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 14:58   #1905  |  Link
dbone1026
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
If somebody can oblige, I still would like a short PGS.MKV sample for testing with my Xtreamer and XtreamerPro hardware player...

Many thanks
I had tested out my District 9 mkv with PGS subs with my Xtreamer a few months ago and it did not work. If I have a few minutes either today or tomorrow I will test again.
__________________
Cheers,
Damian

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 15:18   #1906  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 11,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I had tested out my District 9 mkv with PGS subs with my Xtreamer a few months ago and it did not work. If I have a few minutes either today or tomorrow I will test again.
Sadly, I can see you have not posted anything on the Xtreamer forum since Nov 2009...

Some improvements have been made to subtitle parsing in the closed beta firmwares. Plus the XtreamerPro has twice the memory of the Xtreamer Mk1
__________________
| I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout & A/V Gear |
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 15:29   #1907  |  Link
dbone1026
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Sadly, I can see you have not posted anything on the Xtreamer forum since Nov 2009...

Some improvements have been made to subtitle parsing in the closed beta firmwares. Plus the XtreamerPro has twice the memory of the Xtreamer Mk1
Well, when I tested out the mkv with the PGS my Xtreamer died on me lol (I will assume it was just coincidence). I only just got it back recently a fixed model with the "new" old chip. If I have a chance to test again I will gladly post my results on the Xtreamer forum. I am not privy to the beta testing so I cannot confirm what improvements have been made to the subtitle parsing.

OK, I think we have gotten Off Topic from the purpose of this thread so back to discussing HD Audio
__________________
Cheers,
Damian

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 16:44   #1908  |  Link
Sebastiii
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: France
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
If somebody can oblige, I still would like a short PGS.MKV sample for testing with my Xtreamer and XtreamerPro hardware player...

Many thanks
Hi,

You can test with this sample

Sample PGS/MKV

Bye
__________________
HTPC : i7 920 6Go Win10(x64) / Nvidia 1050Ti / P6T Deluxe / Harman-Kardon AVR-355.
Sebastiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 16:45   #1909  |  Link
Sebastiii
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: France
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
For anyone interested, I documented the steps SamuriHL used to get PGS subtitles in mkvs working:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...itles-in-mkvs/
Thank you
__________________
HTPC : i7 920 6Go Win10(x64) / Nvidia 1050Ti / P6T Deluxe / Harman-Kardon AVR-355.
Sebastiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 16:50   #1910  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
Hi,

You can test with this sample

Sample PGS/MKV

Bye
Wonderful, Seb! Thanks for posting that.
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 17:11   #1911  |  Link
Sebastiii
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: France
Posts: 610
You're welcome
I hope that it's a good sample to make test
Seb
__________________
HTPC : i7 920 6Go Win10(x64) / Nvidia 1050Ti / P6T Deluxe / Harman-Kardon AVR-355.
Sebastiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 17:38   #1912  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
Yea, Seb, that's an awesome file. Should allow the hardware streaming guys to check their equipment to see if this workflow will work for them. I'm now an MKV convert. With albain's incredible work on ffdshow for bitstreaming, dxva, and subtitles and with MakeMKV making it SO easy to create MKV's with embedded PGS subs (including stripping forced subs into a separate track) there's just no reason to use anything else for movie backups. I'm not looking back.
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:20   #1913  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
BTW, if you like the idea of mkvmerge + MPC-HC + PGS subs this is entirely possible to do, as well. I guess I forgot to mention this configuration. If you extract the PGS subs seperately, you can drop them into a folder and ffdshow can be configured to check for them. So no splitting needed. This allows you to make MKV's with mkvmerge, use the MPC internal splitter, and still have PGS subs. Nice, yes?

@MikeEby

You could make an option in Another EAC3To GUI to extract the PGS files. I configure ffdshow to look in .\subtitles for the SUP files, for example. So in your UI, you could have an option to extract PGS files and give a relative path to the output MKV to put them in. Just a thought anyway.
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:23   #1914  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 11,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
Hi,

You can test with this sample

Sample PGS/MKV
Thanks Seb,

I tested the provided sample "as is" with my Xtreamer and although the PGS subtitles were detected, they were not rendered

I then wondered what MKVmerge GUI (v4.0.0) would make of the provided sample and was surprised to discover it was able to "detect" the PGS subtitles and re-mux the entire file. (Although direct input of PGS subtitles is not supported).

I tested the "re-muxed" MKV file with my Xtreamer, and again, although the PGS subtitles were detected, they were not rendered... Bummer!

Undaunted, I decided to re-mux the individual streams into the .M2TS container using TSremux GUI, and the PGS subtitles were detected and rendered

By-the-way, VLC player v1.1.0 RC was able to display the PGS subtitles for all three files.


Cheers all
__________________
| I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout & A/V Gear |

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 17th June 2010 at 19:58.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:28   #1915  |  Link
dbone1026
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
BTW, if you like the idea of mkvmerge + MPC-HC + PGS subs this is entirely possible to do, as well. I guess I forgot to mention this configuration. If you extract the PGS subs seperately, you can drop them into a folder and ffdshow can be configured to check for them. So no splitting needed. This allows you to make MKV's with mkvmerge, use the MPC internal splitter, and still have PGS subs. Nice, yes?

@MikeEby

You could make an option in Another EAC3To GUI to extract the PGS files. I configure ffdshow to look in .\subtitles for the SUP files, for example. So in your UI, you could have an option to extract PGS files and give a relative path to the output MKV to put them in. Just a thought anyway.
AEAC actually does extract the PGS subtitles. If you want them separate you could either uncheck the "Delete All Work Files After MKVMerge" in the Options section or run the command line which will extract all the necessary files but not mux them together (if you look at this guide I put together towards the bottom you will see a screenshot of the working files - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...er-eac3to-gui/)
__________________
Cheers,
Damian

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:30   #1916  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Thanks Seb,

I tested the provided sample "as is" with my Xtreamer and although the PGS subtitles were detected, they were not rendered

I then wondered what MKVmerge GUI (v4.0.0) would make of the provided sample and was surprised to discover it was able to "detect" the PGS subtitles and re-mux the entire file.

I tested the "re-muxed" MKV file with my Xtreamer, and again, although the PGS subtitles were detected, they were not rendered... Bummer!

Undaunted, I decided to re-mux the individual streams into the .M2TS container using TSremux GUI, and the PGS subtitles were detected and rendered

By-the-way, VLC player v1.1.0 RC was able to display the PGS subtitles for all three files.


Cheers all
The problem with m2ts container is that you lose chapter info which kinda bites. But I'm glad that worked for you!
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:31   #1917  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
AEAC actually does extract the PGS subtitles. If you want them separate you could either uncheck the "Delete All Work Files After MKVMerge" in the Options section or run the command line which will extract all the necessary files but not mux them together (if you look at this guide I put together towards the bottom you will see a screenshot of the working files - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...er-eac3to-gui/)
Ewww. I know you can not delete the working files, but, that's not what I was going for! LOL! I was hoping for another option to keep the PGS subs, name them "Movie(lang)" "Movie(lang)(2)" etc. No?

EDIT: Well I was just schooled on sub file naming conventions.

movie.lang#.sup

So, District9.eng.sup, District9.eng2.sup, etc.
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)

Last edited by SamuriHL; 17th June 2010 at 18:37.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:36   #1918  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 11,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
The problem with m2ts container is that you lose chapter info which kinda bites. But I'm glad that worked for you!
Indeed...

However, given that I now have a viable PGS in .MKV sample, I will send this to the Xtreamer developers to see if they can get it to work.

The more samples the better though
__________________
| I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout & A/V Gear |
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:37   #1919  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Indeed...

However, given that I now have a viable PGS in .MKV sample, I will send this to the Xtreamer developers to see if they can get it to work.

The more samples the better though
Sweet! I hope they're able to get that working for you. Good luck!
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I7 3770k, GTX 1060, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
Laptop: MSI GT70 Dominator (Optimus)
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:38   #1920  |  Link
dbone1026
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Ewww. I know you can not delete the working files, but, that's not what I was going for! LOL! I was hoping for another option to keep the PGS subs, name them "Movie(lang)" "Movie(lang)(2)" etc. No?
I am sure Mike can come up with something. I know one issue with PGS subs was that MKVMerge didn't support, but according to SeeMoreDigital it appears that version 4.0 now supports PGS so who knows, maybe the sky is the limit. Mike's done a great job with AEAC and I am sure he still has more tricks up his sleeve
__________________
Cheers,
Damian

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.