Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 25th February 2009, 16:16   #2701  |  Link
guru1968

DTS question

Hi

I love that new feature which make DTS play on the PS3

- BUT: I also love to have multiple audio streams since this does work on the PS3

here my question: could you please leave/convert all the original audio tracks in the final movie? (or maybe an optional switch for that)

alternatively: how do you "make" these fake PCM-like DTS tracks? (so I could feed those into tsmuxer and everything would be fine as well) (okay, I always could 'steal' them from your temp directory while mkv2vob is busy with muxing, but I don't like that idea...)
guru1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 01:35   #2702  |  Link
setarip_old

@3r1c

Hi!

In this thread back in June 2008, you said:
Quote:
I have never seen VC1 in a mkv file, so its not supported my mkv2vob.
At that time, you were correct.

However, since the advent of (presently freeware) "MakeMKV", there are many of us who are using this tool (rather than spending our hard earned money on "AnyDVD HD") for ripping BluRay discs to MKV files, as a first step to backing up our BluRay discs.

As I'm sure you're aware, many of these BluRay discs, and hence the .MKVs created from them, include VC-1 videostreams.

Based on this, I'd ask that you now reconsider and, if possible, add VC-1 capability to your impressive program.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:34   #2703  |  Link
chromey

Hi there

May have asked this before but can anyone explain the reason an MKV file increases in size when running through MKV2VOB
The new DTS patching option is fanastic but however files i convert get pushed over the limit for DVDR DL media.
I believe its todo with the changing of containers but will this always be the case ??

Thanks
Chromey
chromey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 22:18   #2704  |  Link
webvan

Having a strange problem with the latest version 2.4.5, mkv2vob is creating .mpg files, not .vob files ?! Anyone had that problem before ?

I am seeing a "Output file extension" setting but there is a warning not to use it and appears to be a straight renaming.
webvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 21:19   #2705  |  Link
sergeyliti

Hi! Is there any possible way to make MKV2VOB to mux ALL audio strams, because I always get only one ( I need several languages in the movie )
P.S. if no, why TsMuxer can do this and mkv2vob ( that uses the same tsmuxer ) can't???
sergeyliti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 20:48   #2706  |  Link
Glorioso

3r1c, let me congratulate you, again, for this excellent app. I've been away from this forum and when i return the, already, magnificent mkv2vob is even better with the AVCHD output. I have two notes, one request and one problem:

Problem, i cant read the AVCHD output on my Power DVD, anyone with that problem?

Request, can you make a option for output size? It's problematic to burn the results of a DVD5 MKV on a DVD5 AVCHD (BD5) and the same applies to DVD9.

Keep up the excellent work.
Glorioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 21:02   #2707  |  Link
zomtec

greate job to get dts working @ the ps3...

but i'm a little confused - vlc player doesn't play the dts line anymore?
the codecsdetails-tab tells me that there are two video lines after patching?! (the real video line: h264 AND mpgv - the dts line???) is the new output file useless for other players then the ps3?!

greetz

p.s. playing the mentioned file with the ps3 works great with dts

Last edited by zomtec; 15th March 2009 at 22:18.
zomtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 21:30   #2708  |  Link
Bigmango

The DTS patching does not work for me.

This is what I did:

1. converted an mkv with an 1.5M DTS track, mkv2vob is patching the DTS track and then muxing it with the video into an mpg file.

2. On playback the PS3 shows the track as linear PCM (also, I think it was 2.0 channels, but the original was 5.1), on the TV I get only some white noise for sound and if I switch the sound output to my Sony receiver the receiver displays "ERROR" and I get no sound.

edit: mkv2vob works fine if the DTS is converted to AC3, but DTS patching does not work.

edit 2: this is using the latest mkv2vob and the latest PS3 firmware

Last edited by Bigmango; 15th March 2009 at 21:33.
Bigmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 00:29   #2709  |  Link
e3henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitos View Post
1. Why AVCHD without transcoding are only for AVCHD with height above 584? (Technical problem?). It's a huge problem because 90% of 720p mkv's are 544, sometimes 528 or 536. Is it a chance that mkv under 584 will be convert without transcoding in the near future?
I have the exact same question and I can not find any answer in the forum.
Is there some magic limitation in tsmuxer at 584?

To be honest I dont understand how it is possible to make AVCHD from any format not equal to 720 or 1080 in the first place. How is this solved for files with height 585-719?
I guess black bars needs to be inserted, but that would be impossible without re-encode, or?
Or is it some kind of trick similair to the DTS throughput?
Or a stretch?
e3henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 13:55   #2710  |  Link
turbojet

Everything with a height < 584 lines plays as 576/480p on PS3.

The height hack tricks only the PS3 and it can be probably be broken with a future firmware upgrade, let's hope not. But for every other BD player files must be 720p or 1080p. Your safest bet is to encode at 720p and 1080p to ensure proper playback.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 01:43   #2711  |  Link
kri kri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromey View Post
Hi there

May have asked this before but can anyone explain the reason an MKV file increases in size when running through MKV2VOB
The new DTS patching option is fanastic but however files i convert get pushed over the limit for DVDR DL media.
I believe its todo with the changing of containers but will this always be the case ??

Thanks
Chromey
Same Issue for me
kri kri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:54   #2712  |  Link
provolino

Hi all

I'm using mkv2vob to convert several mkv and be able to watch them on my PS3 but some of them give audio sync issue even if sync in original mkv is perfect.

Any way to fix that?

I tried enabling "Always convert DTS to AC3" but the problem persists
provolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 21:10   #2713  |  Link
georgem67

Neuron 2

Very funny
georgem67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 10:08   #2714  |  Link
provolino

Quote:
Originally Posted by provolino View Post
Hi all

I'm using mkv2vob to convert several mkv and be able to watch them on my PS3 but some of them give audio sync issue even if sync in original mkv is perfect.

Any way to fix that?

I tried enabling "Always convert DTS to AC3" but the problem persists
No help about that?
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:36   #2715  |  Link
incognitos

I have "Muxed Failed Error" (in a middle of process) when i try to convert to AVCH-USB with subtitles.

SiZE..........: 6.54 GB
ViDEO.CODEC...: x264
FRAMERATE.....: 23.976
BiTRATE.......: 8443kbps
RESOLUTiON....: 1280x692
AUDiO.........: English DTS 5.1 1.5 mbit

Last edited by incognitos; 22nd April 2009 at 23:46.
incognitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:37   #2716  |  Link
provolino

I'm sad no-one answered to my sync questions

Another way to fix the issue: is there a software to edit the mpg file after mkv2vob conversion and delay the audio track to have correct sync?
Old 28th April 2009, 19:29   #2717  |  Link
jp80

Hi,

I'm having the black/green bar with all the movies I tried to convert from mkv to AVCHD USB and which had not exactly a height resolution of 1080p, like 816.
The black/green bar stays even if I try to toggle the top menu through the OSD menu with the ps3 controller. My ps3 has the latest firmware, and my mkv2vob is v2.4.5.
Any ideas to help me solve my problem please ?
jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 08:51   #2718  |  Link
provolino

Jp80 I posted a question at the beginning of April and still no answer... it seems the author is not monitoring this thread
Old 25th May 2009, 15:12   #2719  |  Link
plantunes

Can anyone confirm me if mkv2vob can be installed in a Windows 7 laptop? If so....how??? I get a invalid 32bit software error....
Thanks
plantunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 15:54   #2720  |  Link
Yaka

running fine on win7 64bit, and 32 bit via vmware

is anyone else is getting a problem with adding subs when converting .mkvs? 1.5gb files end up being over 11gb files once its done
Yaka is offline   Reply With Quote