Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th August 2008, 20:49   #1  |  Link
joviparagon

HD footage to BluRay need a plausible workflow

I previously posted at another video forum and was advised that the BluRay guru's live here at Doom9.

My project/problem - to edit together a nicely mastered 16/48 wave file at around 2 hours 10 minutes, 8 MTS files (1920x1080 29.97) and 6 short youtube clips to form a nice complete video of a recent concert, authoring the result hopefully to BDR and DVDR.

My cam: Canon HF100
My audio recorder: M-Audio Microtrack II
My PC - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ with 2GB Ram and XP pro SP3, 250gig sata, 400gig sata Raid 0, 1TB USB external, GeForce FX 5200.

Software I am used to using for DVD creation - TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0, Boilsoft Video Splitter and Joiner.

Software on my machine that I have seldom or never used, some gotten at the recommendation of the videohelp guides - avchd_convert_v6, avisynth 2.5, ffdshow, flash_addon (mencoder), haali media splitter, Nero 8, Sony Vegas 8, TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 trial, Virtualdub 1.8.1, imagemixer 3SE

I need to use youtube footage and a few nice still pix we took to cover the gaps in the HD video, the audio from the microtrack is seemless and complete, several of the Youtubers are sending me thier original footage but I am clueless as to the format till it arrives.

The hoped for order of video footage is MTS1, tube 1, tube 2, tube 3, MTS2, MTS3, MTS4, MTS5, tube 4, MTS7, MTS8, MTS6

The 8 MTS files are each 1.9gigs or thereabouts.

I won't use the camera or youtube audio as it is all poor, but is fine for syncing purposes.

I have saved archive copies of all the raw audio and video to an external 1TB firewire drive.

I am looking for a workflow that doesn't reencode if at all possible, and lets me do everything in one program ( a winning lottery ticket would be nice as well, since I am dreaming).

Soopafresh (from videohelp.com) recommended the following workflow:

MTS files ---> AVCHD_CONVERT_V6 ---> Save as Lagarith AVI in VirtualDub
Vegas ---->Load Lagarith AVIs --->Load Separate Audio Track ----> Line up/sync Audio and Video --->Edit
Vegas ----> Render out to Final Lagarith AVI
TmpgencXpress---->Load Final Lagarith AVI----> Convert to HDV for Blu Ray / Convert to h264 MP4 for Youtube

I ran all 8 files through AVCHD_CONVERT_V6, but the multi part files would not open as singles in Vdub, so I used the command line from the same thread/guide to stitch them together, but then AVCHDCV6 wouldn't open the spliced file. So I went to the zoo and watched monkeys fling thier poo at the wall then decided to try doing it all in Vegas. Well it went pretty well, I seemed to be able to assemble the pieces in the order I was looking for but after adding the 5th vid clip the machine froze up, just hourglass for 3 hours, and the not responding message. I started over as the saved file caused the same lock on opening. On the second try It freezes up after adding the 4th vid.

Do I have too weak a machine?
Do I need to buy other software?
Would electroshock or a lobotamy help me?

I have not yet bought an internal BluRay recorder or even a disc player (leaning towards a PS3), but will get both when actually burning a BR disc seems possible
thanks
Dave
joviparagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 11:39   #2  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

Hi!

I have the same camcorder.

My workflow:
----- all done automatically by script-----
Demux all MTS files with xport
create a dga file with DGAVCIndex
create a AVS script, load audio+video (remove pulldown) there
----- end done by script -----

- convert all avs to lagarith+audio with virtualdub, resize them to 640x360 in this stage (faster to author in Vegas, saves space at that time)
- create a Vegas Project suitable for your final output (in my case 1920x1080 progressive 23,976fps)
- author your Project in Vegas
- close Vegas
- do the virtualdub step again, but without resize to the lower resolution. Replace the smaller lagarith Files
- Open Vegas and your Project again
- Render with Debug Frameserver, so you dont need intermediate Lagarith Files. 2,1h= approx 300GB.
- With MeGUI render to h264 BluRay Profile at 25MBit
- With TSMuxer create BluRay structure (suitable, if you dont need Menus. For A/V + Subs and Chapters ist sufficient)

U can use this workflow only for your Video, for your AUdio stream, I am not sure.

I dont have youtube files, but the should be easy useable in Vegas, when you convert them to AVI.

Btw. my last project had 50 different lagarith files in it, no problem at all. I use Vegas Pro 8 because Platinum does not support 1920x1080.

Bye

Last edited by Chefkoch_ico; 13th August 2008 at 11:44.
Chefkoch_ico is offline   Reply With Quote