Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2009, 17:19   #1  |  Link
marcio

x264 settings

This thread is for people looking for the best quality possible x264 settings. People in this forums like to tell others to go read some 100 pages manual, search 20 more threads, etc.
Some people don't want to understand anything about encoders, they just want to know what is the command line for the best quality output. We all know, including me, that what is the best for one source will not be the best for other sources. And we all know people will disagree on what is the best.

Lets assume there are some people that don't wanna go deep into details, they just wanna know what the command line is, even if it is impossible to give a single command line for every source.

So, once we assume that, this will be the command line you are looking for.

I hope this thread can help lots of people out there.

1st pass:

x264.exe --profile high --slow-firstpass --keyint 240 --min-keyint 24 --bframes 16 --b-adapt 2 --b-pyramid normal --ref 16 --deblock -1:-1 --bitrate 500 --rc-lookahead 120 --aq-mode 1 --aq-strength 1.03 --pass 1 --stats x264.log --qcomp 0.89 --partitions all --direct auto --weightp 2 --me tesa --merange 32 --subme 10 --psy-rd 1.02:0.4 --trellis 2 --no-fast-pskip --threads auto --sar 1:1 --fps 23.976 --psnr --ssim -o a.264 a.avs 848x352

--keyint should be 10x your source fps.
--min-keyint should be equal to your source fps.
--bitrate should be your bitrate of choice.
--qcomp should be 0.89 for low bitrates, 0.72 for mid bitrates and 0.6 for high bitrates.
--fps should be your source fps.
Replace "848x352" with your source resolution.
Replace "a.avs" with your avisynth filename.
Replace "a.264" with your output filename.

2nd pass:

Repeat the settings of 1st pass but replace --pass 1 with --pass 2.

Last edited by Guest; 15th December 2009 at 20:50. Reason: misleading title
Old 15th December 2009, 17:23   #2  |  Link
marcio

If you want to help the thread and point some error or some new parameter in the command line, you are welcome.
If you are here to say there are no such BEST COMMAND LINE, etc... then you didn't get the point here anyway, so I will just ignore you comment.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:27   #3  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcio View Post
x264.exe --profile high --slow-firstpass --keyint 240 --min-keyint 24 --bframes 16 --b-adapt 2 --b-pyramid normal --ref 16 --deblock -1:-1 --bitrate 500 --rc-lookahead 120 --aq-mode 1 --aq-strength 1.03 --pass 1 --stats x264.log --qcomp 0.89 --partitions all --direct auto --weightp 2 --me tesa --merange 32 --subme 10 --psy-rd 1.02:0.4 --trellis 2 --no-fast-pskip --threads auto --sar 1:1 --fps 23.976 --psnr --ssim -o a.264 a.avs 848x352
Or you could just use --preset placebo and call it a day, and not violate Rule 12 while you're at it.

Oh, and everything in bold makes no sense whatsoever, by being either already-default, changed from default values for no sufficiently explained reason, or otherwise just stupid. Certain parts of the commandline, like the listed resolution, make me suspect you don't actually know anything at all about x264, and are simply wildly making things up in the hope that your post won't get locked.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 15th December 2009 at 17:30.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:30   #4  |  Link
nurbs

Can't you just use
Code:
--preset placebo --tune film (grain/animation/whatever)
Old 15th December 2009, 19:23   #5  |  Link
detmek

--crf 0. You can't beat that.
If file size is a problem for crf 0, encoding time is problem for --preset placebo. And --crf 30 --preset placebo usually sucks. On the other hand, --preset medium/slow --crf 16 can be transparent.
I belive that, if one goes for lossy compression, bitrate/crf is much more important then other settings.
--preset placebo is important in quality/size ratio. If we include encoding time, we get different story.
Old 15th December 2009, 19:30   #6  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quote:
This thread is for people looking for the best quality possible x264 settings.
Well, congratulations, because you've failed to establish it. Please delete your post so it doesn't show up in search results and give people the wrong idea.
Closed Thread