Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 28th June 2012, 23:36   #1  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

MXFSource problems

Hello,

I'm trying to create a workflow where we create JPEG2000 streams in mxf AS02 containers from uncompressed sources, and then transcode from that to whatever we need. I'd like to use AVISynth, but at the moment the chief stumbling block seems to be that I can't open any mxf files in avisynth at all.

I've found mxfsource but I'm not very familiar with visualbasic and so I would need an actual binary to get it to work. Does anyone know where one is?

Also I've found this thread and this thread that talk about color space conversion, but again I'm out of my depth with xyz, does anyone know if those projects worked or something that I can do in avisynth to fix that problem if it comes up?

I'm tempted to just use FFVideoSource like they say in this thread but when I used that in the past it had to create an index of every file before it could do anything, which unfortunately is too time consuming to really be practical (as would any sort of full demux to a new file, we really need a direct workflow)

EDIT: FFVideoSource just gives me "Could not open video codec" anyways argh I think the j2k part of this might be just as irritating

Anybody have any idea where these projects are at right now, and where a binary might be available? Or another way to decode JPEG2000 mxf files for something like avisynth?

Thanks

Last edited by Electron.Rotoscope; 29th June 2012 at 00:47.
Electron.Rotoscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 04:55   #2  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

you'd probably need to transcode in ffmbc (ffmpeg for broadcast) into something avisynth likes better for now.

xyz is a problem for now. i haven't the maths to write an mt_lutxyx call for it, and in 8 bits the result would be dreadful anyway.

i'd suggest using something else as a mezzanine format for now - DCI is still not really practical at the moment, and it would encourage confusion with encrypted packages from outside providers (the people that send materials are usually not technical enough to reliably know the difference between the DCI packages and will likely send something you can't decode at all).

i feel your pain though - MXF is a much neglected format, and is gaining enough momentum in the industry to be needed in avisynth. right now i'm transmuxing it all to mov files before avisynthing, but it's a step i'd sooner do without.
Old 5th July 2012, 21:58   #3  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

Ah, fortunately I don't have to deal with DCI yet, it's all just straight AS-02 which means OP1b and OP1a mostly, which are a little easier!

If I get a directshow filter to open up the mxf (this?) and a directshow codec or whatever to decode the JPEG2000 (i'm thinking mainconcept's), could I just use DirectShowSource to input the mxfs and deal with them from there? I've seen things before about "VfW" but I'm not very sure about the difference between a DirectShow codec and a Video for Windows codec. Like, if I can get my system to play a file in Windows Media Player, does that mean that DirectShowSource will always decode it in AviSynth, or is there more I have to worry about?

Or I don't even necessarily need it to be AviSynth really, I just need to feed x264 CLI and Nero AAV CLI, hopefully with some kind of lanczos scaler...
Electron.Rotoscope is offline   Reply With Quote