Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 19th February 2009, 05:11   #41  |  Link
lchiu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post

Or, you could avoid purchasing Fox BluRay discs ;>} [/Color]
Well I got into this backup thing mainly to backup my HD-DVD collection since players are going to rare as hen's teeth soon and I didn't want to be left stranded with about 50 titles I couldn't play. So the idea was back them up to a server and play with a Popcorn Hour which works fine.

Then seeing how convenient it was to do that, thought I would put some of more frequently played BD titles on the server and hence the encounter with BD+ and possibly mkbv9 which I had no knowledge of before since I had been using AnyDVD. But that trial is over and I can't justify the cost of a two year licence given that most of the HD-DVD titles I have can be backed up with the tools on this forum and there won't be any new encryption coming along

The only Fox title I have tried so far (Life Free or Die Hard) is BD+ but I seem to have gotten dumphd with the BDVM debugger, Dumpvid and aacskeys to back this title up. A lot of effort to be sure but the result is satisfying!
lchiu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 01:06   #42  |  Link
tu

quick question...

MakeMKV creates "transcode" container that is the same quality in term of video as m2ts rips? What about audio? Is the same quality?

Tu
tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 19:12   #43  |  Link
setarip_old

@tu

Hi!

Read the very first post of this thread - and then read the rest of this thread to learn which audio formats are not presently handled (at all) by the program...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 20:34   #44  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen

You've not responded to a suggestion/request that I posted much earlier in this thread, so I'll state again:

I've got to believe that it would be an almost trivial task to, prior to creating the .MKVs, provide the ability/option to save the BluRay disc, in its entirety, to hard disk in conforming BluRay format.

Please advise...
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:51   #45  |  Link
guru1968

what's wrong with the chapters?

I tried this amazing program to convert my DVDs to a single file that I can stream via network towards my PS3 - so much easier than putting the DVD into the tray... for that I am a lazy guy and do not need all that extra crap on the DVD!

It's also quite nice if the MPEG2 video is converted to 264, saves a lot of disc-space (x264 video is ~700 MB; plus the audio gives something around 1.5 to 2.5 GB - depending on the audio tracks one leaves inside)...

Only two problems so far:

1.) mkv2vob does not recognise the video format - keeps yelling about an "unsupported video codec: MPEG-2"
--> would be nice if those two "one-click solutions" worked hand-in-hand (much easier for us PS3 owners)

2.) the DVD-chapters within the MakeMkv output are somewhat corrupted (or out-of-spec)!?
-> MkvInfo shows them, but no other program "sees" the chapters (neither MkvExtract nor TsMuxer recognizes those)
how do I get the chapter information (e.g. to be feed into txmuxer)?
what I am doing wrong here?

keep up the work - amazing little prog so far

p.s.
also subtitles don't work -- but this sadly is a common problem on the PS3 (subtitles don't work at all here; on self-made single-file videos I mean)
<EDIT>OK, subtitles would work for small MP4 and divX containers up to 4GB, but beyond 4GB there are no subtitles 'til now</EDIT>

p.p.s.
that's how I do it a.t.m.:
1. MakeMkv (extract DVDs main movie to a single MKV file)
2. tsmuxer (extract the MPEG2 movie from that MKV file)
3. DGIndex (indexing the MPEG2 movie for use with AviSynth)
4. meGUI (convert the AviSynth movie into h264)
5. tsmuxer (combine the h264 movie with the original audio)
6a. tsmuxer (mux to .ts for streaming)
6b. or mkv2vob (if the audio was DTS)

[if MakeMkv would directly support mkv2vob, I could save steps 2 to 5 ...]

that way I am losing subtitle and chapter information (tsmuxer does not recognize chapters/subtitles from MakeMkv files :-( )

any other posible solutions to preserve chapters/subtitles ???

Last edited by guru1968; 23rd February 2009 at 17:10. Reason: typo + update
guru1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:26   #46  |  Link
ggking7

MakeMKV doesn't seem to work on Linux via wine. I'm going to post at the makemkv.com forum too, but does anyone know if the author is interested in making it work via wine?
ggking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 22:31   #47  |  Link
raymondtrudeau

is it possible to just get the main movie and a menu? if so hoiw do you select the menu? thanks
raymondtrudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 01:50   #48  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen

My recent efforts with "Make MKV" have included converting several BluRay discs that employ VC-1 videostreams. Although the conversions have gone smoothly, the resultant .MKVs playback in a very "choppy"/stuttering (and at times, slideshow-like) manner.

This problem is very certainly limited to those BluRay discs containing VC-1 videostreams.

Your thoughts, please ;>}
Old 27th February 2009, 01:52   #49  |  Link
setarip_old

@raymondtrudeau

Hi!

MakeMKV does NOT include menu retention capablity...
Old 27th February 2009, 05:45   #50  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
My recent efforts with "Make MKV" have included converting several BluRay discs that employ VC-1 videostreams. Although the conversions have gone smoothly, the resultant .MKVs playback in a very "choppy"/stuttering (and at times, slideshow-like) manner.

This problem is very certainly limited to those BluRay discs containing VC-1 videostreams.

I don't think so...

1/ Retry a vc-1 to mkv mux with eac3to or mmg from mkvtoolnix.
2/ Compare with the one from MakeMKV. If the problem is still there, it's probably due to your decoder filter chain...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 05:46   #51  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru1968 View Post
I tried this amazing program to convert my DVDs to a single file that I can stream via network towards my PS3 - so much easier than putting the DVD into the tray... for that I am a lazy guy and do not need all that extra crap on the DVD!
MakeMKV is not the appropriate tool for that...
Old 27th February 2009, 07:50   #52  |  Link
setarip_old

@Kurtnoise

Hi!
Quote:
1/ Retry a vc-1 to mkv mux with eac3to or mmg from mkvtoolnix.
Doing so would require using something other than "MakeMKV" to decrypt a source BluRay disc - and the only alternative is a payware product that I've neither desire nor intention to purchase.

I said:"This problem is very certainly limited to those BluRay discs containing VC-1 videostreams."

You said: "I don't think so..."

The simple fact is that I've successfully used this procedure to decrypt and convert MANY non-VC-1 BluRay discs without encountering this problem - but have encountered this problem with three VC-1 BluRay discs...
Old 27th February 2009, 08:02   #53  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Doing so would require using something other than "MakeMKV" to decrypt a source BluRay disc - and the only alternative is a payware product that I've neither desire nor intention to purchase.
not at all...eac3to and mmg are free tools and are able to remux mkv input files.

Quote:
The simple fact is that I've successfully used this procedure to decrypt and convert MANY non-VC-1 BluRay discs without encountering this problem - but have encountered this problem with three VC-1 BluRay discs...
doesn't prove anything...try what I said first.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:35   #54  |  Link
setarip_old

@Kurtnoise

I know you are well-intentioned, but you are misinformed:

Neither EAC3to nor MMG can DECRYPT BluRay discs.

Presently, only (presently freeware) MakeMKV and (Payware) "AnyDVD-HD" can decrypt BluRay discs (An older version of DVDFab HD Decrypter can decrypt a few of the earliest BluRay discs)...
Old 27th February 2009, 09:55   #55  |  Link
lchiu7

Quote:
@Kurtnoise

Presently, only (presently freeware) MakeMKV and (Payware) "AnyDVD-HD" can decrypt BluRay discs (An older version of DVDFab HD Decrypter can decrypt a few of the earliest BluRay discs)...
And let's include DumpHD which works on all titles apart from those with MKBV9 keys and can handle BD+ which makemkv cannot, yet
lchiu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 10:31   #56  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:

since when decrypted BD discs (embedded or not in containers) are responsible of choppiness ?

I don't get your point...anyway I give up.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:42   #57  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
@Mike Chen

As of today it is the known error. MakeMKV does not put FPS information into video track header and that causes playback problems, but only for VC-1 streams. Go fugure. It will be fixed soon.
Mike Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 10:51   #58  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
@Mike Chen

You've not responded to a suggestion/request that I posted much earlier in this thread, so I'll state again:

I've got to believe that it would be an almost trivial task to, prior to creating the .MKVs, provide the ability/option to save the BluRay disc, in its entirety, to hard disk in conforming BluRay format.

Please advise...
Even if it is trivial we have no plans to do that. The mission of MakeMKV is to convert video from proprietary and heavily-patented format into open and free one. Ability to produce decrypted blu-ray files will turn it into yet another ripper and will in fact help studios in their quest for tight content control. Our point is that we, consumers, have rights over the content we paid for and MakeMKV is an unlocker that opens all the things you can do with a video file.

On a separate note "conforming BluRay format" requires AACS protection. Currently players play AACS-unprotected discs but that is likely to change in the future.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:56   #59  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen
Quote:
MakeMKV does not put FPS information into video track header and that causes playback problems, but only for VC-1 streams.
Thank you for confirming my observation!

Quote:
It will be fixed soon.
looking forward to it ;>}

Quote:
Currently players play AACS-unprotected discs but that is likely to change in the future.
If that were to change, it would eliminate the vast majority of the market for burnable BluRay media - and I don't think the manufacturers would want to see that happen.

Sorry to hear of your firm's unwillingness to add my suggested intermediate step to optionally convert to BluRay format (without AACS). I guess we'll just have to continue using tools such as tsMuxeR after the fact.

From my perspective as an experienced business owner, I'd suggest you reconsider my suggestion, because to do otherwise would be to forgo what is likely your largest market component simply for the sake of "splitting hairs" regarding the definition of a "ripping" program. By not adding this capability, you are leaving this entire market component to ONE commercial product. If you're not directly involved in your firm's marketing and/or finance, I'd respectully suggest that you bounce my suggestion off your marketing and forecasting personnel.

Keep up the great work and responsiveness!

Last edited by setarip_old; 27th February 2009 at 11:59. Reason: Additional response
Old 27th February 2009, 10:57   #60  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
1.) mkv2vob does not recognise the video format - keeps yelling about an "unsupported video codec: MPEG-2"
--> would be nice if those two "one-click solutions" worked hand-in-hand (much easier for us PS3 owners)
mkv2vob is a GUI over many tools including tsmuxer. All MKV produced by MakeMKV can be fed into tsMuxER directly thus avoiding mkv2vob altogether.

Quote:
2.) the DVD-chapters within the MakeMkv output are somewhat corrupted (or out-of-spec)!?
-> MkvInfo shows them, but no other program "sees" the chapters (neither MkvExtract nor TsMuxer recognizes those)
how do I get the chapter information (e.g. to be feed into txmuxer)?
what I am doing wrong here?
Very strange. MakeMKV creates unnamed chapters, so that might be the problem.