Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 19th December 2013, 11:30   #1201  |  Link
szabi

I use several free program, but only this one got alert notification by anti-virus program.
Yes, I found this option in preferences, my suggestion it to make it default settings.

So you think Level3.1 is not available for high profile? Only main one?
szabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 12:36   #1202  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oh, I haven't noticed that the warning was issued by AVG. It's probably a false positive. Scan the exe files with VirusTotal.

I don't know if Level 3.1 is incompatible with the high profile. That may be caused by another option. I don't know the h264 specs enough to be sure.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 12:56   #1203  |  Link
szabi

Propable, yes.
I am going to see, as you wrote if "more knowledgeable persons" can answer.
Thanks.

bye
szabi
Old 19th December 2013, 13:08   #1204  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabi View Post
Propable, yes.
I am going to see, as you wrote if "more knowledgeable persons" can answer.
Thanks.

bye
szabi
Are you using 2-pass encoding mode? If so then please wait until 2nd pass is started and you'll see that your chosen profile "High" will be truly selected. x264 is very clever and ignores H.264 Profile for the 1st pass encoding...
kypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 13:50   #1205  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
Oh, I haven't noticed that the warning was issued by AVG. It's probably a false positive. Scan the exe files with VirusTotal.
Quote:
I use several free program, but only this one got alert notification by anti-virus program.
Please read this:
http://lamexp.sourceforge.net/doc/FAQ.html#96205e91

I originally wrote that for LameXP, but it applies to Simple x264 Launcher in the same way, of course.

Quote:
Why not save the output to the same directory?
My "C" drive is ssd, which has not enough space for huge files.
Saving to same directory more logical.
The output file is saved to where you have chosen. You can select the output file when adding a new job...

Quote:
Why the given profile is not used?
It is set to High but using Main.
Because the Profile is defined by which H.264 features you use. x264 sets the lowest possible Profile that supports all features you are using - setting an even higher one would be pointless.

So, if you are using only "Main" (and "Baseline") Profile features, i.e. no "High" Profile features, then x264 will set the "Main" Profile, since a "Main" Profile capable decoder suffices to playback that stream!

The "--profile" option can be used to force a specific Profile. But this only works to enforce a lower Profile! It won't pretend a higher Profile, when that isn't needed at all...

You almost always want to leave the "Profile" option on the default "Auto" setting. As soon as you use any "High" Profile features, you will see that x264 is going to set the proper Profile automatically

Details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th December 2013 at 14:04.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 16:50   #1206  |  Link
szabi

Thanks for the answer, now the profile question is clear.
Unfortunately when the 1st pass finished and 2nd started i got an error message:
Quote:
x264 [error]: 2nd pass has more frames than 1st pass (333381 vs 323980)
x264 [error]: x264_encoder_open failed
av2y [info]: D:\movie\movie.avs: 704x528, 25 fps, 333381 frames
av2y [info]: error: wrote only 556620 of 557568 bytes

WARNING: Input process exited with error (code: 1), your encode might be *incomplete* !!!
I do not understand how it is possible?
Source is the same.

Last edited by szabi; 19th December 2013 at 16:53.
Old 19th December 2013, 18:50   #1207  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Looks like something weird is going on with your input script

(Or maybe, in the first pass, Avisynth simply crashed shortly before the end of the encode?)

What happens if you run this multiple times? Does it always show the same info?
Code:
avs2yuv.exe -frames 1 "your_script.avs" NUL
Also, if you open the very same script in, e.g. VirtualDub, does it play fine, all the way to the end?

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th December 2013 at 21:53.
Old 19th December 2013, 22:06   #1208  |  Link
szabi

Hi

I do not want to try running it again, because the first pass was running almost 6 hours.
I guess you can imagine my happiness when this error occured, on the last frame.
In other topic dissgussion was about to load script to virtuadub, set fast recompress, select ffdshow video codec ffv1 and save the script to uncompressed avi.
And give it to x264 for encoding.
This way there is no quality loss just more steps and lots of disc space needed.
Tomorrow I will check it.
Old 19th December 2013, 23:22   #1209  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I do not want to try running it again, because the first pass was running almost 6 hours.
I guess you can imagine my happiness when this error occured, on the last frame.
Happy or not, you won't get around debugging your Avisynth script, if you want to fix the issue.

Quote:
In other topic dissgussion was about to load script to virtuadub, set fast recompress, select ffdshow video codec ffv1 and save the script to uncompressed avi.
And give it to x264 for encoding.
This way there is no quality loss just more steps and lots of disc space needed.
Tomorrow I will check it.
Creating a lossless intermediate file from your Avisynth script might make sens for a 2-Pass encode, if you use very slow filters. Either that or simply use CRF mode
Old 20th December 2013, 08:11   #1210  |  Link
szabi

Thanks, I started saving it by huffyuv in virtualdub, colorspace yv12, predictor: plane.
Estimated time 6hours, and predicted file size is 87GB.
I hope that will be successfull.
Old 25th December 2013, 20:27   #1211  |  Link
VideoFanatic

Correct SAR for 4:3 720p?

Could you please tell me what is the correct SAR for 4:3 720p?

I have upscaled the Standard Definition video to 960 x 720 and I've added 160 pixels each to the left and right border to make a total of 1280 x 720.

For 720 x 480 4:3 I have a SAR of 8:9 and the video displays correctly but when I do the same thing for the 720p upscaled video, the picture doesn't appear wide enough - it's squashed.

I'm using the "ARS Calculator" program to give me the correct SAR. It works fine for standard definition but it doesn't seem to give the correct values for 4:3 720p.
VideoFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 21:21   #1212  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

If with 720p you mean 1280x720 - the resolution commonly associated with "720p" - then the DAR almost certainly is 16:9, which corresponds to a SAR of 1:1.

But if we are talking about 720x480 footage (aka "480p", aka "NTSC"), then the DAR most likely is either "classic" 4:3 or "anamorphic" 16:9, which corresponds to a SAR of 8:9 or 32:27, respectively.

It should very easy to spot whether a DAR of 4:3 or a DAR of 16:9 look correct - because picking the wrong one will result in eggheads
Old 25th December 2013, 21:28   #1213  |  Link
VideoFanatic

Thanks 1:1 works great. Also when viewing a 720 x 480 video there's an option on my media player to play in 16:10 which makes the picture slightly wider on each side by about an inch but to my eyes it still looks in proportion (although I know it's not). What SAR should I use to get that effect in 720 x 480 and in 4:3 720p?

And would that SAR be Bluray compatible or does it not matter what SAR is used?
Old 25th December 2013, 21:34   #1214  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

As said before, with 480p (720x480), you can get a DAR of 4:3 or 16:9 by applying a SAR of 8:9 or 32:27, respectively.

Furthermore, AFAIK, BluRay doesn't use anamorphic video for the "HD" resolutions (720p and above) at all, so those should all use a SAR of 1:1. Anamorphic video is still used for NTSC (480p) and PAL (576p) - for historical reasons.

For details, please have a look here:
http://www.x264bluray.com/

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 26th December 2013 at 02:33.
Old 29th December 2013, 14:31   #1215  |  Link
VideoFanatic

Downscaling 1080i to 720p

Thanks. I'm also getting a problem where my encodings keep failing within a couple of minutes of the encoding starting. My script is pretty simple, I'm downscaling 1080i 25fps to 720p 50fps. I'm using the following customer parameters: --sar 1:1. Here's my script:

Code:
setmtmode(5,12)
DGSource("X:\Video.dgi")
setmtmode(2)

AssumeTFF() 
QTGMC(Preset="Super Fast") 

Lanczos4Resize(1280,720)
That makes a 720p 50fps video. The error message says: WARNING: Input process exited with error code: -1073741819.

Is there another program I could use to give a more detailed error message so I could see what's causing the problem?

I use QTGMC all the time when re-encoding 720 x 480i MPEG2 to h264 and the encodings never fail so I don't understand why they're failing for HD? I'm using the latest version of DGIndexNV to index the file which is read by your program. I use DGIndex for MPEG2s.

Last edited by VideoFanatic; 29th December 2013 at 14:39.
Old 29th December 2013, 14:39   #1216  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Code:
int x = -1073741819;
printf("%d = 0x%08X\n", x, x);

-1073741819 = 0xC0000005
It means that Avisynth, or more likely one of the plug-in's you are using, has crashed - with STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) error.

In case of a "hard" crash, you won't get any useful error message, as the program just dies. You may be able to locate in which module and function it crashed using a debugger though.

Anyway, this problem obviously is not related to x264 or Simple x264 Launcher. All you can do at this point is stripping down your Avisynth script and find out which plug-in is responsible.

[EDIT] And, most important, get rid of the unstable mess called Avisynth-MT for now and try again with a stable Avisynth [/EDIT]

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th December 2013 at 17:02.
Old 1st January 2014, 18:24   #1217  |  Link
johnchoi

Feature Requests

I would like to request 2 features be added to Simple x264 Launcher:
  1. The ability to fully add jobs to Simple using the command line with no other input/dialogs necessary. While the --add function currently exists all it does is add the file you specify to the Add New Job dialog box. What I would like is the ability to add the complete job with no GUI input necessary. For example a command like this: "x264_launcher.exe --input Video.avs --output Video.mkv --template 720pHD". This would require a template to already exist. The end goal of these commands would be to allow people to add jobs to Simple x264 Launcher using batch files or scripts.

2. The ability to re-order jobs currently in queue in Simple x264 Launcher. Currently if I have 3 jobs in queue and I add a 4th that I want to run ahead of those 3 I have to delete the 3 existing jobs and then re-add then. A simple Up/Down ability for the queue or a Low, Normal, High priority setting for queue management would be great.
johnchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 18:35   #1218  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchoi View Post
The ability to fully add jobs to Simple using the command line with no other input/dialogs necessary. While the --add function currently exists all it does is add the file you specify to the Add New Job dialog box. What I would like is the ability to add the complete job with no GUI input necessary. For example a command like this: "x264_launcher.exe --input Video.avs --output Video.mkv --template 720pHD". This would require a template to already exist. The end goal of these commands would be to allow people to add jobs to Simple x264 Launcher using batch files or scripts.
You are not the first one to ask for this. It's one of the things I'm planning for future versions. No ETA though

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchoi View Post
The ability to re-order jobs currently in queue in Simple x264 Launcher. Currently if I have 3 jobs in queue and I add a 4th that I want to run ahead of those 3 I have to delete the 3 existing jobs and then re-add then. A simple Up/Down ability for the queue or a Low, Normal, High priority setting for queue management would be great.
Adding job priorities seems reasonable. I will consider this feature for a future version...
Old 30th January 2014, 15:27   #1219  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Here is a new test version with improved command-line support:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/muld...9.exe/download

You can now add new jobs directly (no dialog) by using:
Code:
x264_launcher.exe --add-job <source_file> <destination_file> <template>
Note that the template can be specified as "-" to encode with x264 default settings.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:17   #1220  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Yet another test version with improved command-line support:

New jobs will now be started immediately or added to the queue - depending on the user's preferences.

Also there are two new CLI options that can be used to enforce that a new job will be started immediately or to enforce that a new job will added to the queue.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 7th February 2014 at 14:04.