Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd October 2019, 21:10   #57661  |  Link
ryrynz

This feature request has been brought up multiple times, we're all aware of the limitations of some sets and the likelihood we'll see anything addressing those in madVR in the short term. Didn't really need it brought up again, by the time anything is likely implemented you'll have a new TV.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2019, 23:12   #57662  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
We really need something that just works at near black, lighter areas of the picture dont get compressed as much and tend to look ok.
The final game of thrones seaon is a good example, it was totally unwatchable at times on OLED but it wasnt much better on high end LCD's either.
My TV doesn't have a good enough contrast ratio, so I had to increase the brightness of your images a little to be able to see what you're talking about, and yet it doesn't seem too noticeable. So you say that these artifacts are very noticeable in an OLED in a not completely dark environment? In that case I guess that reducing the brightness a bit should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
This feature request has been brought up multiple times, we're all aware of the limitations of some sets and the likelihood we'll see anything addressing those in madVR in the short term. Didn't really need it brought up again, by the time anything is likely implemented you'll have a new TV.
The point is that this is not due to a limitation but because of a feature such as the contrast ratio that is likely to continue to improve on future TVs.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2019, 23:16   #57663  |  Link
exuvo

I recently added a new graphics card to my computer, a RX 5700 XT on PCIE3x8, in parallel with my older Radeon R9 290X on PCIE3x4. Both work fine with madVR except with the 5700 card it takes an additional 2 seconds to start video playback compared to the old card with exactly the same madVR settings. Seems unrelated to the file being played. I assumed this was shader cache related and tried clearing that from Radeon settings but nothing changed. I enabled "delay playback start until render queue is full" to avoid dropping frames at the start for now but would rather remove the delay.

Start time from when MPC-HC window appears to video playing:
On display connected to R9 290X: 1.3s
On display connected to RX 5700 XT: 3.1s

OS Windows 7 64-bit

Any ideas what could be causing it and how I could fix it?

I also seem to have been hit by coil whine with NGU (very high is very noticeable, others are slightly audible) but can almost completely (only audible if room is quiet or ear next to computer) resolve that by setting "don't flush after intermediate render steps". Combined with lowering GPU powerlimit to -50% (still plenty of performance left) it completely removes the coil whine (barely audible with ear next to GPU).
exuvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 04:02   #57664  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
My TV doesn't have a good enough contrast ratio, so I had to increase the brightness of your images a little to be able to see what you're talking about, and yet it doesn't seem too noticeable. So you say that these artifacts are very noticeable in an OLED in a not completely dark environment? In that case I guess that reducing the brightness a bit should help.
I think the problem is that he has a 2015 Oled.
2015/2016 Oleds had terrible near-black gradation. I've had a LG C6 before and that TV would show any near-black artifacts exaggerated.

Recent Oleds generally handle near-blacks much better but there are still some issues...
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:49   #57665  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
if you calibrate your system properly and in this case not clipping levels is enough to see compression artefacts
if an screen is unable to display this properly is just an completely different issue.

what so ever this file is not nice. deband high does a pretty good job on it but this is not fixable is just how much do you want to hide vs how much damage to the not dark part are fine to you. it's could be possible to trigger the dreaded black makro block flickering on these LG oleds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl_t3UQ3gAk

mastering screen are usually IPS 1000:1 screen like the eizo coloredge series there are other screen that are not IPS yes there are but that's not the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
lowing the bit deep for dark scenes using dithering was talked before for oled but i can't remember dynamic post processing.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:57   #57666  |  Link
tony359

Hi there

wondering if anybody could help on my last question I posted here?

Thanks!
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 00:42   #57667  |  Link
huhn

using HDR mode on projector is not recommended.

Quote:
Since I'm here, another unrelated question: if I play some older videos (in my case a 720x480 video), picture is not upscaled to full screen. What am I missing?
that's a dvd resolution they don't have square pixels and can be used to displayed at 4:3 or 16:9 if this information is missing it will be displayed at 3:2 which is wrong if the file is for some reason supposed to be displayed like this it will have black boarders left and right.

you didn't by any chance added every resolution you could find under display mode didn't you?
Old 24th October 2019, 01:10   #57668  |  Link
Furgiuele

Hi. I'm Italian and new on this forum and I don't speak English very well.
I appreciate a lot the guide about MadVR and I'm trying to optimize it for my needs.
I have a htpc with MSI Z390A-pro mobo, I5-9600K cpu, 16 Gb ram, Nvidia 1660 gpu, bd drive, ssd and nas with a lot of concerts and movies ripped from br discs.
I have a Sony VPL-vw870es (calibrated BT2020) as projector and a Trinnov Altitude 16 as processor. I use Jriver Media Center 25 with MadVR, but I don't like to use more than one setup.
So I set MadVR with PC levels 0-255,10 bit, already calibrated BT2020 pure power curve 2.20, 2160p23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 50, 60, tone map HDR using pixel shaders, tp 100, BT2390, highlight medium, measure each frame's peak; if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing, disable automatic source type, force video mode, only look at pixels in the frame center; chroma ups. NGU Antialias medium, image ups. luma NGU Sharp, luma qu. direct qudrupole very high, chroma high; "use Direct3D 11..." and " "present a frame for every VSync" flagged in general settings, smooth motion only if there would be motion judder; ordered dithering, no flag in trade for quality.
It works very fine with all 23.970 fps videos (4k hdr, fhd, etc.), without interlacing. But I've issue to watch 29.970 fps videos, with a lot of dropped frames, motion juddering and stuttering. I have a lot of concerts with this fps (Diana Krall, Carlos Santana, Miles Davis, ecc.).
Can someone help me?
Thanks.
Furgiuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 03:44   #57669  |  Link
nsnhd

Are there benefits or harms by setting madVR for 2160p23, p24 in comparison with setting for 2160p59, p60 only ? Could that help to prolong the time a frame will repeat in...when the display switches to around 23.970 hz by playing 23.970 fps movies ?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 03:57   #57670  |  Link
huhn

if you play a 23p file at 59p you are "repeating" 12 frames every second.
Old 24th October 2019, 09:24   #57671  |  Link
3ll3d00d

I have noticed inconsistent behaviour when upscaling DVD to 4k, it behaves something like it isn't upscaling for some period of time and then it corrects itself and starts upscaling again. This can happen at arbitrary times, e.g. within a single scene without having touched any playback controls or changed any settings.

An example to illustrate, I created these by just replaying a scene on a loop. It rendered it "correctly" v few times, it is mostly looking bad. Look at the guy on the wire for the obvious difference. The fact this is two different frames is irrelevant btw as the effect occurs regularly on different content, i.e. it's not specific to one scene or one particular source file.

Anyone seen something like this before? Any tips on how to resolve?

Bad - https://ibb.co/7YLkcg9
Good - https://ibb.co/P6VwpKD
3ll3d00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 10:02   #57672  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Your screenshots are very low resolution, making it hard to judge anything, or even read the madVR OSD at all. Perhaps upload the original screenshots to a better image host?
Old 24th October 2019, 10:04   #57673  |  Link
Asmodian

This is not an issue with upscaling. It is due to deinterlacing working well or not. madVR either uses the GPU hardware for deinterlacing or it has its own IVTC algorithm if you put it in film mode. This behavior should depend on the DVD itself, is it telecined or true interlaced?

On that note, you do not want to use 25 Hz for this DVD. It is being deinterlaced to 50 fps, as indicated by the 20ms frame time.

Edit:
Your rendering times are very high for a 20ms frame time, perhaps the deinterlacer is getting confused due to performance issues? Try turning down the NGU 4x to medium, or maybe only double with NGU high, for testing. (maybe a problem with paused OSD... I shouldn't pay too much attention to the rendering times when paused. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Your screenshots are very low resolution, making it hard to judge anything, or even read the madVR OSD at all. Perhaps upload the original screenshots to a better image host?
On desktop (Chrome) I got a link on the image to download the full resolution, which did get a good image.

Last edited by Asmodian; 24th October 2019 at 10:11.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 10:14   #57674  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Oh now I see it. Thats some bad UX for an image host.
Old 24th October 2019, 10:59   #57675  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah definitely upscaling correctly, the obvious NGU upscaling can be seen throughout the image, definitely a deinterlacing issue.
You may wish to change between deinterlacing types to see what yields the best result.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 12:17   #57676  |  Link
3ll3d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This is not an issue with upscaling. It is due to deinterlacing working well or not. madVR either uses the GPU hardware for deinterlacing or it has its own IVTC algorithm if you put it in film mode. This behavior should depend on the DVD itself, is it telecined or true interlaced?
thanks

I'm not 100% sure how to tell if it is telecined or not, mediainfo reports

Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First

with regards to the "deinterlacing on" or "deinterlacing off" message, am I correct in thinking this refers to whether madvr or upstream is doing the deinterlacing? i.e. if on then madvr is deinterlacing, if off then something upstream is doing it.
3ll3d00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 14:11   #57677  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furgiuele View Post
if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing, disable automatic source type, force video mode [...]
I've issue to watch 29.970 fps videos, with a lot of dropped frames, motion juddering and stuttering. I have a lot of concerts with this fps (Diana Krall, Carlos Santana, Miles Davis, ecc.).
Based on your description, what could be happening is those 29,970 fps concerts are telecined, and as you are forcing video mode they are deinterlaced with very bad quality to 59,94 fps and you have 3:2 motion judder, but it's hard to be sure without knowing what the source is: Blu-ray? DVD? TV?
Try to enable film mode for those concerts (you can assign a keyboard shortcut key to it) and see if it is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
with regards to the "deinterlacing on" or "deinterlacing off" message, am I correct in thinking this refers to whether madvr or upstream is doing the deinterlacing? i.e. if on then madvr is deinterlacing, if off then something upstream is doing it.
No, it just informs on what is the source of madVR's decision to deinterlace or not. In this case the upstream filter, i.e. video decoder, says it's interlace so madVR deinterlaces.
This looks to be a PAL DVD you're playing. In most cases with films on PAL DVDs you can just force disable deinterlacing and you will get a 25 fps progressive image (I've got only one PAL DVD in my film collection where this isn't the case). You will then see 'deinterlacing off' and 'frame time 40 ms'

Last edited by el Filou; 24th October 2019 at 14:15.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 14:34   #57678  |  Link
Furgiuele

Hi. I post a question yesterday. Please, can someone help me?
Old 24th October 2019, 14:37   #57679  |  Link
Furgiuele

Quote:
Hi. I'm Italian and new on this forum and I don't speak English very well.
I appreciate a lot the guide about MadVR and I'm trying to optimize it for my needs.
I have a htpc with MSI Z390A-pro mobo, I5-9600K cpu, 16 Gb ram, Nvidia 1660 gpu, bd drive, ssd and nas with a lot of concerts and movies ripped from br discs.
I have a Sony VPL-vw870es (calibrated BT2020) as projector and a Trinnov Altitude 16 as processor. I use Jriver Media Center 25 with MadVR, but I don't like to use more than one setup.
So I set MadVR with PC levels 0-255,10 bit, already calibrated BT2020 pure power curve 2.20, 2160p23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 50, 60, tone map HDR using pixel shaders, tp 100, BT2390, highlight medium, measure each frame's peak; if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing, disable automatic source type, force video mode, only look at pixels in the frame center; chroma ups. NGU Antialias medium, image ups. luma NGU Sharp, luma qu. direct qudrupole very high, chroma high; "use Direct3D 11..." and " "present a frame for every VSync" flagged in general settings, smooth motion only if there would be motion judder; ordered dithering, no flag in trade for quality.
It works very fine with all 23.970 fps videos (4k hdr, fhd, etc.), without interlacing. But I've issue to watch 29.970 fps videos, with a lot of dropped frames, motion juddering and stuttering. I have a lot of concerts with this fps (Diana Krall, Carlos Santana, Miles Davis, ecc.).
Can someone help me?
Thanks.
Please, can someone help me?
Old 24th October 2019, 14:57   #57680  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Please, can someone help me?
You need to be patient. Nobody is payed here to provide assistance. Everybody does it in his/her free time. Be patient and somebody capable enough will try to help you, I'm sure.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling