Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th January 2018, 20:53   #48121  |  Link
brazen1

With NVidia, FSE needs to be enabled for 3D.

When I used custom resolutions in the past, the timing was perfect but I noticed everything was playing in 8bit. I deleted the custom resolution and playback was once again 10bit. Might have been some bad coincidence on my end or indeed custom resolutions affect bit depth. Comments?

Rick, sometimes HDR does not engage properly without starting and stopping the title a couple times. Have you tried this? Also I don't think BT.2020>DCI-P3 is telling us anything is getting converted. I think it is telling us what display calibration it was mastered on and/or the content is limited to DCI-P3.

Last edited by brazen1; 8th January 2018 at 21:40. Reason: addition
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 21:46   #48122  |  Link
mclingo

we've discussed this many times Brazen1, only AMD cards required FSE for MVC 3D, look back further in the posts, the problem is 3D keeps getting turned off and disabled, a bath file has been created to run before you start your movie which works 100% of the time apparently.

I havent had chance to test it myself yet on my spare 1050, my RX 550 is working ok at the moment and i'm just getting around to watching some stuff i've been putting off for a while.

here is the batch file details again to save you reading back.

REM Change a registry key and values with Regedit.exe
REM and a temporary .reg file. Self contained script.
REM
REM For magic keyboard numbers go here:
REM http://3dvision-blog.com/3053-modify...s-as-you-need/

REM Necessary header for importing .reg file.
> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO.

REM Decide which CPU architecture- to set the proper registry keys for x86 and x64.
REM Using GOTO instead of IF THEN ELSE because of better compatibility.
REM Assume x86 as the architecture.
SET "KEY=[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]"
REM Reset the key if that's not right.
IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="x86" GOTO EchoKey
SET "KEY=[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]"
:EchoKey
>> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO %KEY%

REM Now the series of registry dwords for that \Stereo3D key.
REM Let's auto-enable 3D, without going through the test.
REM Bypass the Medical Test
>> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO "StereoVisionConfirmed"=dword:00000001
REM Reset from Discover
>> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO "StereoViewerType"=dword:00000001

REM Now let's import registry file
REM /s is used to avoid an "Are you sure" prompt
regedit.exe /s "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg"

REM -- No registry key for Enable stereoscopic 3D checkbox, so we'll directly
REM call the activation tool. Change path if this is not correct.
REM We call for both 32 bit and 64 bit. If one fails it's not a problem.
CALL "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
CALL "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable

mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 22:18   #48123  |  Link
mytbyte

@mclingo: I'm looking for a cheap gfx card for my older machine that can do all the 4K, HDR, mostly MPC-HC/MadVR and YT VP9 profile 2 stuff...how is rx 550 in this regard?

Last edited by mytbyte; 8th January 2018 at 22:20.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 23:00   #48124  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick164 View Post
Tried the new drivers with my GTX1080 and not switching to HDR, before it would black screen so there's some improvement.

Have enabled FSE mode and > 10 bit for the display, tried difference HDR settings in madVR as well(decide / passthru etc..) but same results.
Could you perhaps share some of the settings needed for this to work?
I'm guessing your on win10? Blank screen with FSE seems to be the norm with people on win10.

I'm on win7.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 23:52   #48125  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
@mclingo: I'm looking for a cheap gfx card for my older machine that can do all the 4K, HDR, mostly MPC-HC/MadVR and YT VP9 profile 2 stuff...how is rx 550 in this regard?

sorry i cant speak for vp9 buts everything else is fine, however if you just want a no frills 4k card which supports 4k/HDR/HEVC the Nvidia 1030 is the cheapest on the market right now unless you go for a used RX 460.
Old 9th January 2018, 00:02   #48126  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
polaris doesn't have a hardware decoder for VP9 in general.

for VP9 profile 2 you need a 1050 ti
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 00:27   #48127  |  Link
mclingo

I dont watch much on youtube really so I hadnt noticed it wasnt working, a quick view of the AMD threads confirm no VP9 in polaris, or at least there doesnt seems to be, there are workarounds which were broken by creators and AMD drivers, not sure what the current situation is.

looks like NVIDIA is the best bet.
Old 9th January 2018, 00:37   #48128  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
polaris doesn't have a hardware decoder for VP9 in general.

for VP9 profile 2 you need a 1050 ti
OK, so GT 1030 does have the VP9 decoder but no profile 2...I'll live without the latter...thx guyz

P.S. just found this screenshot posted way earlier on this forum: http://jpegshare.net/d2/3a/d23a630cf...5056c.jpg.html

seem like profile 2 is covered as well...seems like quite a little beast

Last edited by mytbyte; 9th January 2018 at 00:46.
Old 9th January 2018, 00:42   #48129  |  Link
huhn

1030-1050 ti and the 1080 TI have profile 2 but you are not going to have fun with a 2GB card if you want to output UHD.

polaris has a 8 bit hybrid decoder which stresses the GPU notable and AFAIK it only works in chrome. hybrid decoder are generally not worth the time.
Old 9th January 2018, 01:05   #48130  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
1030-1050 ti and the 1080 TI have profile 2 but you are not going to have fun with a 2GB card if you want to output UHD.

polaris has a 8 bit hybrid decoder which stresses the GPU notable and AFAIK it only works in chrome. hybrid decoder are generally not worth the time.
Actually I don't really need UHD output, I primarily need to run 4K/HDR content from disk to a 2K monitor or FHD TV, for YT part I was just hoping to get better picture from 4K YT clip since the 1080 downscaled versions can look pixelated with bad gradations, the way YT downconverts them...

I apologize for spamming the thread...thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 01:14   #48131  |  Link
huhn

VP9 profile 2 is HDR not SDR on YT (they may change that in the future and please correct if the did already)

so your GPU needs to be able to run the HDR-> SDR conversation in madVR which takes quite some processing power.

i have no clue if a 1030 or 1050 can do that. 2GB should be totally fine for 1080p output.

because you may care about downscaling. so you may like to know that bicubic 150 is terrible in my eyes for downscaling and SSIM is the only god tier downscaler in madVR. the problem of bicubic 150 is not a single frame it can be seen in motion where it >can< look like NN.
Old 9th January 2018, 01:40   #48132  |  Link
mclingo

question - up scaling 1080p to 4k on my RX 550, which makes the most PQ difference, chroma up scaling or image up scaling, is it best to put all your gpu eggs into the up scaling basket, chroma , or a balance of the two. I am currently using NGU sharp medium for upscale and lanczos for chroma upscale.

thoughts anyone?
Old 9th January 2018, 01:58   #48133  |  Link
Rick164

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Rick164 - first thing I noticed is that you havent set a custom 23.976 resolution in MADVR, thats why you are getting 23.98xxx and dropped frames.

If you have a HDR TV or display double check you have MADR set to pass thru HDR and dont turn it on in windows, MADVR should be doing that for you.

Turn FSE off, dont need it with NVIDIA card at all.

Power cycle your TV full, if its anything like my LG OLED sometimes it gets stuck and stops triggering HDR or 3D until I full power cycle it, and I dont meab put it in standby, unplug it for a seconds. This happens about once a month for me, usually though when MADVR has crashed and it hasnt for a while now.

I'm using an RX 550 though so my experience will be different to yours, currently HDR is all working as it should on AMD cards.
Frame drops only happen for me when I skip though as it needs some time to fill the queues again, might need to lower some things a bit but still tweaking NGU related settings.
Currently for 24P I let it use the edid info like so:

Which is different than what madVR is finally reporting so not sure what would cause that but can't get any closer than that.

It's a Sony XE9305 but will try a power cycle, also tried the same files on my Apple TV 4K using the Infuse app there and springs to HDR right away so know the files have the needed metadata at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I'm guessing your on win10? Blank screen with FSE seems to be the norm with people on win10.

I'm on win7.
Yeah Win10, right now the workaround is using the Apple TV but that isn't ideal for picture / sound quality.
Will just wait a bit as it seems HDR and Windows is just buggy, seen this in games as well where AC: Origins works perfectly in HDR but Andromeda just fails.

Last edited by Rick164; 9th January 2018 at 02:05.
Rick164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 02:12   #48134  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
so your GPU needs to be able to run the HDR-> SDR conversation in madVR which takes quite some processing power.

i have no clue if a 1030 or 1050 can do that. 2GB should be totally fine for 1080p output..
Don't get the 1030, it's too slow. My 960 handles hdr only just.. 60fps is no go.. Plus no extra image processing and lower end chroma options.. If you're taking 4K/HDR seriously it's 1060+ otherwise 1050ti minimum imo. 950/960/1050 great for 480-1080p on the cheap.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 02:18   #48135  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
1030-1050 ti and the 1080 ti have profile 2 but you are not going to have fun with a 2gb card if you want to output uhd.
gtx 1060??

And is madvr affected by the spectre???
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 02:22   #48136  |  Link
huhn

the 1060 doesn't have a VP9 profile 2 decoder.
Old 9th January 2018, 02:48   #48137  |  Link
psyside

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Then there's no way to give you a recommendation. Based on your one listed use-case, a 4K AVC video, anything since a 600-generation can hardware decode it perfectly, though the 900-generation can do it with even less power. I don't really know what you mean by IQ; AVC and HEVC either decode perfectly or don't. What matters is what enhancements you want MadVR to provide, and at what resolution, not what the original video is. Tell us what you expect to do to the video, then we can get an idea of what minimum baseline you'll need.

The 1050 is definitely better in every way than the 750, including price. At Newegg, the 1050ti 4GB is actually $25 cheaper than the cheapest 750ti 2G, might pay to look around more. Unless you're talking a used 750, then you just have to weigh the extra performance and future-proofing against the price for yourself.

Well then why even ask? Grovel the used markets until you find something that meets your budget and performance requirements. If you can't find anything, either lower your expectations or drop it.

Hello my friend, and thanks alot for helping me.

Ill try to explain the best i can.

I want to watch 4K videos/movies, and make the look the best possible with GTX750 ti/1050 ti/GTX960/GT1030. The monitor is 1080p, and the clips are in 4K in the format i posted previously.

I need to know, if i "max out" the madVR settings, will any of this card be able to play the 4K clips which i provided the format/codecs/info for without issues? for example you select all the best looking - processing/renderer settings in madVR panel, and get the best image quality out of the videos? i understand this is called downscaling? also for future X265 formats, for the same kind of usage, when the S9 will be released.

I got this option now for (USED) and some new cards,

GTX750 ti 4GB - 80$, GTX960 4GB - 140$, GTX 1050 2GB (new) 2GB - 160$, GT1030 2GB (new) 90$

I will be also connecting them with mu U2414h, would some of the madVR modes require, a special HDMI/DP standards? and as a final note, would 960 or 1050 offer anything at all more compared to the 750 ti 4gb, and will it worth to pay double for them? would the 2gb be bottleneck for youtube 4k/8k60? on the 1050 or for madVR? thanks.

P.S. I'm not from USA, where i live, those are the prices i can get for new/used cards.

Last edited by psyside; 9th January 2018 at 02:54.
psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 02:57   #48138  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
we've discussed this many times Brazen1, only AMD cards required FSE for MVC 3D, look back further in the posts, the problem is 3D keeps getting turned off and disabled, a bath file has been created to run before you start your movie which works 100% of the time apparently.

I havent had chance to test it myself yet on my spare 1050, my RX 550 is working ok at the moment and i'm just getting around to watching some stuff i've been putting off for a while.

here is the batch file details again to save you reading back.

REM Change a registry key and values with Regedit.exe
REM and a temporary .reg file. Self contained script.
REM
REM For magic keyboard numbers go here:
REM http://3dvision-blog.com/3053-modify...s-as-you-need/

REM Necessary header for importing .reg file.
> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO.

REM Decide which CPU architecture- to set the proper registry keys for x86 and x64.
REM Using GOTO instead of IF THEN ELSE because of better compatibility.
REM Assume x86 as the architecture.
SET "KEY=[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]"
REM Reset the key if that's not right.
IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="x86" GOTO EchoKey
SET "KEY=[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]"
:EchoKey
>> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO %KEY%

REM Now the series of registry dwords for that \Stereo3D key.
REM Let's auto-enable 3D, without going through the test.
REM Bypass the Medical Test
>> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO "StereoVisionConfirmed"=dword:00000001
REM Reset from Discover
>> "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg" ECHO "StereoViewerType"=dword:00000001

REM Now let's import registry file
REM /s is used to avoid an "Are you sure" prompt
regedit.exe /s "%temp%\Update3DSettings.reg"

REM -- No registry key for Enable stereoscopic 3D checkbox, so we'll directly
REM call the activation tool. Change path if this is not correct.
REM We call for both 32 bit and 64 bit. If one fails it's not a problem.
CALL "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
CALL "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable

Uhm, I'm not sure what you're trying to educate me/us about? Quite simply, using my GTX 960 4GB for the past two years, if I turn off FSE, no matter what I do, 3D enables on the display but not the player using madVR. The moment I turn FSE back on, everything works perfectly and I attribute that to the FSE setting I just toggled per the results. Now I don't know how it works for you especially since you are using an AMD card and as you wrote haven't tested Nvidia. Fwiw, I too wrote a script to engage stereoscopic system wide a year ago when I discovered HDR playback disables it for some odd fluke of a reason no one has addressed. The difference between my script and the one you copy and pasted of Manni's is his requires a manual input to engage it and mine is automated via software front end. I've just seen you insist a bunch of times info that doesn't correlate with my real world tests and usage. This often leads to misinformation for others. This isn't to say perhaps stereoscopic engages properly for others without FSE, but I can assure it doesn't work over here. No hard feelings but before you correct me or anyone else, perhaps you should set up an identical environment and do the actual test yourself. It seems to me you've been having problems for weeks here with the most basic of things and suddenly you've become an authority. Again, no offense and with all due respect that's just how I see it.
Old 9th January 2018, 03:05   #48139  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
question - up scaling 1080p to 4k on my RX 550, which makes the most PQ difference, chroma up scaling or image up scaling, is it best to put all your gpu eggs into the up scaling basket, chroma , or a balance of the two. I am currently using NGU sharp medium for upscale and lanczos for chroma upscale.

thoughts anyone?
This question for example has been asked and answered more times than I can count and not only in this forum either. Use the search function.
Old 9th January 2018, 03:31   #48140  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Don't get the 1030, it's too slow. My 960 handles hdr only just.. 60fps is no go.. Plus no extra image processing and lower end chroma options.. If you're taking 4K/HDR seriously it's 1060+ otherwise 1050ti minimum imo. 950/960/1050 great for 480-1080p on the cheap.
I would add to that for a 1060 it should be a 6gb version like mine if you're doing 4k scaling of any kind.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling