Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th January 2019, 04:31   #54081  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
ok let's try it one more time.

there are 2 types of HDR 3D LUTs a process HDR content and a HDR SDR conversation 3D LUT. which have you created both can be loaded under HDR.

the OS HDR is not recommended and turns everything into HDR and palys around with the image.
I have created, the PROCESS HDR 3dlut from Displaycal.

It installs through displaycal window, But I've also loaded it from the folder manually..

Regardless, Using the tonemap hdr mode via 3dlut, The display does NOT kick into HDR mode, like Passthrough would..

The Madtpg DOES kick the display into HDR Mode when Displaycal triggers it for calibration/profiling.
Old 4th January 2019, 04:38   #54082  |  Link
huhn

did you try a newer madVr build one of the HDR test builds?

and this is important is the the image washed out with the HDR processing 3DLUT?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 05:18   #54083  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
did you try a newer madVr build one of the HDR test builds?

and this is important is the the image washed out with the HDR processing 3DLUT?
I downloaded this version of madvr last week. I didn't know there were any test builds.

The image is washed out. but the tv is NOT in hdr mode. so I thought that may have been the reason.
Old 4th January 2019, 05:34   #54084  |  Link
huhn

does control+shift+alt+3 now work with this setup?

i guess this is the newest test build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57332704
Old 4th January 2019, 13:11   #54085  |  Link
madjock

Why did I get a 4K TV

I am in a bit of a bind, as far as madVR goes I can get HDR, I wil play more with that later after trying different drivers, and may move up to a newer test build but have more issues than that just now.

I have an older Amp, a Yamaha RX-V377, I knew I could do 4K passthrough, so thought no more of it, got a new 4K TV yesterday and was suddenly aware of its limitations due to its age. It will only allow a max of 30mhz thru it at 4k, I struggled to understand why the TV was advertised up to 60 at 4K then read the manual for the Amp, not the end of the world I thought as I do not have the firepower in a 1050 to run 4K at 60. But for some reason the HDR signal kept on getting stuck, I could come out of a 4K movie in MPC or Kodi and the NV HDR would stay on until a reboot. Switching the Amp or the TV off had no effect.

I also noticed that madVR said the TV had no HDR capabilities when it went through the Amp, but I still could get an HDR signal with madVR, so again it was working but I kept getting stuck in a constant HDR signal once activated.

So I bypassed the Amp and went straight to the TV from my computer, this showed all the HDR options in madVR under the TV properties, and also it works as advertised, but the downside of this is I have to use HDMI ARC back to the Amp, and by doing this I lose DTS-HD and TrueHD and only get 2 channel PCM, and the majority of 4K is TrueHD so a bit of a nightmare.

The TV says to use HDMI 2/3 for UHD, yet HDMI 1 is the one with ARC, so lots of things in my way at the moment.

Computer ->AMP HDMI 1 ->AMP HDMI to TV - HDR Sticking but All sound
Computer -> TV HDMI3 - HDR Good but lose HI RES Audio using TV HDMI 1 ARC back to AMP

Can anyone think of anything I can do to stop the HDR signal getting stuck when going through my Amp ?

TV : PHILIPS 65PUS6703
AMP : YAMAHA RX-V377
Graphics Card : GeForce GTX 1050 Drivers : 416.34
Windows 10 : 1809 Build 17763.195

Last edited by madjock; 4th January 2019 at 13:21.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 13:26   #54086  |  Link
blu3wh0

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
TV : PHILIPS 65PUS6703
AMP : YAMAHA RX-V377
Graphics Card : GeForce GTX 1050 Drivers : 416.34
Windows 10 : 1809 Build 17763.195
Your receiver does not support HDR, it only has HDMI 1.4a specs.
blu3wh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 13:29   #54087  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
Your receiver does not support HDR, it only has HDMI 1.4a specs.
So its getting stuck due to this, as I can actually get an HDR signal I just can't switch it off ? well not until a reboot
Old 4th January 2019, 13:31   #54088  |  Link
huhn

PC -> AVR -TV
and PC -> TV
Old 4th January 2019, 13:33   #54089  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
PC -> AVR -TV - HDR gets stuck
and PC -> TV
- HDR not stuck but lose HI RES Sound ?
Old 4th January 2019, 13:37   #54090  |  Link
blu3wh0

I think he means send video to TV and audio to receiver using two HDMI outputs on your video card.
blu3wh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 13:45   #54091  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3wh0 View Post
I think he means send video to TV and audio to receiver using two HDMI outputs on your video card.
Not an option unfortunately

DVI Output : Yes x 1 (Native) (DVI-D)
HDMI Output : Yes x 1 (Native) (HDMI 2.0b)
Display Port : Yes x 1 (DisplayPort 1.4)
HDCP Support : Yes (2.2)

Or I guess I could get cables from DVI to HDMI back to the AVR but unsure how I set up the sound seperately

Last edited by madjock; 4th January 2019 at 13:50.
Old 4th January 2019, 13:55   #54092  |  Link
huhn

displayport to HDMI is passive an onboard HDMI is more then enough too.
Old 4th January 2019, 14:03   #54093  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
displayport to HDMI is passive an onboard HDMI is more then enough too.
I read a couple of things saying that DVI to HDMI does not support sound ? buyt looking at the Nvidia control panel it is an option for sound.

So a DVI to HDMI cable be ok ? to send DTS-HD and TrueHD to my AVR as I can get one today. Bit of a rip off unless I get it from Amazon.

EDIT : I also remembered I have an onboard sound setup thats deactivated in the BIOS, this also has HDMI out, would I be able to do separate audio and video that way, or am I best just coming off the one nVidia card and not using the Realtek card for seperate audio ?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75N-rev-10#ov

Last edited by madjock; 4th January 2019 at 14:32.
Old 4th January 2019, 15:20   #54094  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
does control+shift+alt+3 now work with this setup?

i guess this is the newest test build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57332704
So... IN Tonemap via 3dlut mode..

Ctrl shift alt 3 DOES work.. left right looks different

The top says, (10bit, 4:2:2, limited) .............. (Does not say NV HDR)

Only in Passthrough mode, does it kick into (NV HDR, 10bit, 4:2:2, limited), This is the only mode which pushes tv into hdr, other than os hdr

How do I use that test madvr, it's not the standard package of files.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 4th January 2019 at 15:38.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 15:30   #54095  |  Link
huhn

try version 09214

and i really understand your problem you don't have to repeat it everytime.
Quote:
EDIT : I also remembered I have an onboard sound setup thats deactivated in the BIOS, this also has HDMI out, would I be able to do separate audio and video that way, or am I best just coming off the one nVidia card and not using the Realtek card for seperate audio ?
that's your intel iGPU not sure when intel added audio bitstream but it should be fine.

you have to do this:
PC -> AVR -TV
and PC -> TV

or it will not work this is far from perfect but doesn't cost you anything you need 1 more HDMI cable.

Quote:
I read a couple of things saying that DVI to HDMI does not support sound ? buyt looking at the Nvidia control panel it is an option for sound.
it is in theory possible to send audio over DVI HDMI adapter but this is not save thing compared to displayport.
Old 4th January 2019, 16:54   #54096  |  Link
madjock

it is in theory possible to send audio over DVI HDMI adapter but this is not save thing compared to displayport

Well I found a local computer shop that had a displayport to HDMI adapter and connected a 2nd HDMI to AVR with that. I do have the option of HI-RES sound...but

This seems to have brought its own issues, since it thinks there is a 2nd display sometimes things open up on something that does not actually exist, if I try and say just use Monitor 1, then I lose the sound, so not really getting anywhere at the moment.
Old 4th January 2019, 18:38   #54097  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
try version 09214

and i really understand your problem you don't have to repeat it everytime.
Apologies Huhn, I was only trying to be thorough.. it was not intended to disrespect.

09214 works great, and kicks into hdr now..

Everything seems dandy..

Do I have to rerun the calibration on this version, or has that stayed the same.
Old 4th January 2019, 22:31   #54098  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
09214 works great, and kicks into hdr now..

Everything seems dandy..

Do I have to rerun the calibration on this version, or has that stayed the same.
i don't see a reason why you would need a new calibration.

i would like you to retest this with the test build linked if that doesn't work (which you most likely test already) please make a small simplified bug report of this: http://bugs.madshi.net/my_view_page.php

my guess is the send HDR check box is just missing and madVR isn't auto detection the 3D LUT on it own to decide if HDR should be send or it is a HDR-SDr conversation 3DLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
it is in theory possible to send audio over DVI HDMI adapter but this is not save thing compared to displayport

Well I found a local computer shop that had a displayport to HDMI adapter and connected a 2nd HDMI to AVR with that. I do have the option of HI-RES sound...but

This seems to have brought its own issues, since it thinks there is a 2nd display sometimes things open up on something that does not actually exist, if I try and say just use Monitor 1, then I lose the sound, so not really getting anywhere at the moment.
like i said it isn't optimal.
the non existing screen can be worked around. this is not an real deal for an experienced user and depend a lot on what you are doing on that system.

if you really want to fix this you will need a new AVR or you can try your luck with an firmware update and live with the 1.4 bandwidth limitations.
Old 5th January 2019, 02:29   #54099  |  Link
tp4tissue

Under send the following metadata to display

How does this affect the image. Does the display arrange its whitepoint based on this sent metadata ?

And if so, if we're using the 3dlut , should we be sending the rec2020 white point or the dci-p3 white point ?

And what nit-lvl should be sent.
Old 5th January 2019, 02:46   #54100  |  Link
huhn

there is no general answer to this.

dci p3 bt 2020 and bt 709 have a white point of D65.
i don't see a reason why a display should ever change it's white point.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling