Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 5th February 2007, 14:50   #201  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
about rev870:
When setting the vertical subtitle position from 90% (default) to 95%, then only the first row of subtitles with 2+ lines is shown.
In case of vobsubs, nothing is displayed.
The only way to bypass this, is to reduce font size resp. the scale factor when dealing with vobsubs but this makes the subtitles harder to read...
It may sound obvious, but did you enabled letterboxing for subs? I also have the vertical position set to 95%, since I like the first line to be displayed at the bottom of the main screen, and the 2nd line beneath. With no letterboxing the subs have simply no place to be displayed on.
Old 5th February 2007, 14:54   #202  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBangeR77 View Post
It may sound obvious, but did you enabled letterboxing for subs? I also have the vertical position set to 95%, since I like the first line to be displayed at the bottom of the main screen, and the 2nd line beneath. With no letterboxing the subs have simply no place to be displayed on.
No, it's off. Something has definitely changed in the way subs are positioned. I have to change font size from my usual '17' to '9' in order to get 2 lines displayed. But that makes it unreadable... With the pre-870 builds I can go down to 100% with vertical subtitle position and nothing gets snipped off...

Edit: I've taken a look at Haruhiko's implementation and I can't see anything regarding positioning that has been changed.
Me looking at C++ code means nothing on the other hand...

Last edited by fastplayer; 5th February 2007 at 14:58.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 15:07   #203  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

I see, then enabling letterboxing might be a good temporary solution, since you wouldn't have to change the fontsize then (hopefully).

Was it after the mentioned implementation (one page earlier), when the bug occured? I'm asking, since I'm still using clsid's svn 843 (icl 9, sse) and won't upgrade to a version with buggy subtitles, because I use them too often.

Btw. Whole lot of good work on ffdshow, guys! Much appreciated.
Old 5th February 2007, 15:16   #204  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
I see, then enabling letterboxing might be a good temporary solution, since you wouldn't have to change the fontsize then (hopefully).
I will check it out later and report back.
Quote:
Was it after the mentioned implementation (one page earlier), when the bug occured?
Yes. I always use the exact same settings for subs and noticed the issue right away.
Quote:
I'm asking, since I'm still using clsid's svn 843 (icl 9, sse) and won't upgrade to a version with buggy subtitles, because I use them too often.
Most important part of ffdshow for me apart from the decoding
Quote:
Btw. Whole lot of good work on ffdshow, guys! Much appreciated.
Yep, the download numbers reflect this
Old 5th February 2007, 15:17   #205  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

As long as I can see, beta1 has the same behavior, but yes, it should be fixed anyway.
Old 5th February 2007, 19:01   #206  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Bug while decoding XviD!

Hello,

I've already exchanged PMs with foxyshadis on this matter. I will try to give as much info as possible, and if it's necessary, I will cut a short sample of my encode.

Bug: reendering of fog and sky in some dark scenes; happens only from time to time, but looks really nasty.
At the top there's also some sort of distortion, looks like the effect caused by FillMargins() sometimes, when we want to add some artificial pixels after cropping, to get mod16 resolution.

Source: MPEG-2 -> XviD 1.1.2 encode with GK, packed bitstream and Qpel (this may matter, I think), CQM Didee's SixOfNine.
I've also got many short samples, including the scene with buggy decoding, encoded with various CQMs, either with GK+VDM or with the latest VDub 1.7.0. In all of them the bug is present, so it's not only this one encode.

Player: MPC, the latest celtic druid's build i.e. mplayerc.rev611-3.2kxp.
At the time I first encountered the bug I was using the latest official 6.4.9.0, so I would rule out the player in this case.

ffdshow revison: I marked it first with some old drevil_xxl's sse revision from December, reproduced with now with clsid's svn 843 ICL 9 sse, so it seems it might be a permanent bug, imo.

The bug occurs, while decoding the mentioned XviD encode(s) with libavcodec and idct set to auto. The auto-setting defaults to libmpeg2 every time.

The bug doesn't occur while decoding with XviD 1.1.2 via ffdshow, with idct set to auto. The auto setting defaults as above (always).

The bug doesn't occur while decoding with libavcodec and idct set manually to XviD MMX!

So :
libavcodec + auto/libmpeg2 -> bug
libavcodec + manual XviD MMX -> fine

Gonna post screenshots soon (libavcodec decoding is always one frame further then XviD, I've taken exactly the same frames, checked many times).

cheers,
HDBR77

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 5th February 2007 at 19:05.
HeadBangeR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 19:20   #207  |  Link
fastplayer

@HeadBangeR77:
Just checked with clsid's latest 885 build and with letterboxing enabled the issue remains. I tried all aspect ratios.
Old 5th February 2007, 19:24   #208  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong View Post
gcc4x cant find the standard include dir.
i have the same problem too, when the ffdshow source code was in my drive D:, mingw gcc was in C:,
then i moved the ffdshow source code back to drive C: and the problem is gone
i did not get them problems when i compiled ffdshow with gcc-4.1.2, it compiled fine but ffdshow.ax would crash

i have d:/msys/1.0, d:/mingw and d:\msys\1.0\dx (with libs and include) and also and empty include dir d:\msys\1.0\include (because there is a problem when compiling gcc if it is not there)

apart from my compiles are fine

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC
cc979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 19:50   #209  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
@HeadBangeR77:
Just checked with clsid's latest 885 build and with letterboxing enabled the issue remains. I tried all aspect ratios.
Sorry to hear that ... I've checked also, and with the mentioned above clsid's svn 843 (icl 9, sse) everything is fine.

I'm gonna post screenshots in this post soon.

1) Elizabeth's face, background textures

a) XviD + libmpeg2

b) libavcodec + libmpeg2

c) liibavcodec + XviD MMX

2) The sky, the mist, and the mountain

a)

b)

c)

Plz save them to your hdd, and vie at full screen. I've got more, but I think the above will suffice.

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 5th February 2007 at 20:14.
Old 5th February 2007, 19:59   #210  |  Link
chros

Grabbing frames bug ?

I have tried to grab a single 1 frame to png through ffdshow, but MPC has crashed ... Doesn't matter if I use VMR 9 renderless or the haali's renderer ... It was a h264 video which ffdshow decoded ...

Can anybody confirm this ?
Thanks
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 20:06   #211  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
So :
libavcodec + auto/libmpeg2 -> bug
libavcodec + manual XviD MMX -> fine
This is not really a bug, but a general iDCT problem. If the iDCT doesn't match the DCT that was used by the encoder, then the video won't be decoded properly. The auto detection in ffdshow needs improvement.

Last edited by clsid; 5th February 2007 at 20:10.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 20:20   #212  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
This is not really a bug, but a general iDCT problem. If the iDCT doesn't match the DCT that was used by the encoder, then the video won't be decoded properly. The auto detection in ffdshow needs improvement.
So as I thought, this is not the libavcodec itself, but the improper iDCT - that's why I checked libavcodec + XviD MMX iDCT ...

Now, wait a sec - I can't reproduce the bug with XviD + libmpeg2 set manually (?!)

@ chros
Yeah, I can confirm that with MPC, ffdshow, and H.264 in general - I use MPC's save image instead.

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 5th February 2007 at 20:22.
Old 5th February 2007, 20:54   #213  |  Link
Yong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc979 View Post
i did not get them problems when i compiled ffdshow with gcc-4.1.2, it compiled fine but ffdshow.ax would crash

i have d:/msys/1.0, d:/mingw and d:\msys\1.0\dx (with libs and include) and also and empty include dir d:\msys\1.0\include (because there is a problem when compiling gcc if it is not there)

apart from my compiles are fine
hmm, my gcc was obtain from here
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
4.0.3, 4.1.1 and 4.2.0
cant use them to compile directx related program like xvid decoder and gpac directx plugin, duno how to fix the error
and the directory/files not found problem only occur for me when the compiler was not in same drive as thee source...
gcc4x still problematic though.
Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 21:10   #214  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Can someone please confirm.... Has support for "interlaced" MPEG-4 Part-2 sources been added. It does not seem to be working for me. Or have I missed something?

Cheers
Old 5th February 2007, 21:15   #215  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Now, wait a sec - I can't reproduce the bug with XviD + libmpeg2 set manually (?!)
The iDCT setting is for libavcodec only.
Old 5th February 2007, 21:42   #216  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
The iDCT setting is for libavcodec only.
Hmmmm...

Are you able to play the following sample correctly: -

http://www.mytempdir.com/1204197

Cheers
Old 5th February 2007, 22:06   #217  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong View Post
hmm, my gcc was obtain from here
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
4.0.3, 4.1.1 and 4.2.0
cant use them to compile directx related program like xvid decoder and gpac directx plugin, duno how to fix the error
and the directory/files not found problem only occur for me when the compiler was not in same drive as thee source...
gcc4x still problematic though.
i compiled mine myself, and noticed path finding issues maybe a msys problem with linux style pathnames

i will look into it further

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC
cc979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 23:20   #218  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Are you able to play the following sample correctly: -

http://www.mytempdir.com/1204197

Cheers
Yes. It plays correctly.
Old 5th February 2007, 23:23   #219  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Yes. It plays correctly.
Really!

I'm obviously doing something very wrong... I think I would benefit from "step-by-step" set-up instructions... For dummies (li-ka-me)
Old 6th February 2007, 00:26   #220  |  Link
clsid

I haven't done anything special to make it play. It should just work out-of-the-box.

Screenshot:

Last edited by clsid; 6th February 2007 at 00:31.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl