Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 2nd December 2006, 15:45   #1  |  Link
Jim@labDV.com

DVDx 2.6 is out!

We're proud to announce that we succeeded in migrating the whole DVDx project to the latest Windows development platform: Microsoft Visual C++ 2500 Professional with Intel C++ 9.1 Compiler.

This has immediate benefit for the end-user by fixing bugs introduced by previous compiler, such as when DVDx silently crashes when exiting Input Settings with 44.1KHz or 48.0KHz (no conversion) option.

This will have great benefit for developers, so end-users, by providing new productivity features such as navigation across C++ objects declarations and definitions with one right-click. Intel 9.1 C++ compiler will provide latest greatest Hyper-Threading and Multi-Core optimization. And x64 cross-compilation will be facilitated.

Debug and DebugP4 versions are back, so we'll be able to debug DVDx mush more quickly.

Download:
  • all versions and binaries (including Debug, DebugP4 and NoOptimization) from labDV.com as a VIP user
  • standard (ripper free) version and source code from labDV as a non registered user
  • standard (ripper free) version and source code from Source Forge (will be up-to-date in a few days)

What's new?

Packaging:
  • Ultra Edition now contains a Tools menu with all DVDx binaries (Debug, DebugP4, NoOptimization and RipperFree), so any user will able to run a debug version to tackle bugs.
  • Ripper Free package has no change.
  • "No upgrade" package is deprecated.

Bug fix:
  • DVDx silently crashes when exiting Input Settings with 44.1KHz or 48.0KHz (no conversion) option. So now you can try these modes to workaround audio/video synchronization issues.

Debug builds:
  • thanks to the new compilation platform, both Debug and DebugP4 configurations can be built (and are included in Ultra Edition installer).

Compilation:
  • update compilation platform to Visual Studio 2005 Professional (VS8) and Intel C++ Compiler 9.1
  • new reference compilation platform is Visual C++ 2005 Pro with Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2, DirectX SDK October 2006, Intel C++ 9.1.28
  • Visual C++ Projects have been converted to Intel C++ Projects
  • all configurations compile successfuly (including Debug and DebugP4)
  • added a new open source project: BuildNumber to manage build auto-increment
  • removed VC6 build auto-increment macro

DVDx offical website at labDV.com
Jim@labDV.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 19:01   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

1) For those of us who are not familiar with your product, perhaps you can briefly describe here what "DVDx" does?

2) Is it freeware?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 13:50   #3  |  Link
Jim@labDV.com

Sorry, DVDx is very popular so I didn't know I've to remember what it does.

DVDx allows you to convert DVD to VCD2.0 or SCVD1.0 or DivX or WMV in one step (including multiplexing, splitting). It produces very good quality movies in MPEG1/2 format and you don't need to have 5GB or more free on your hard disk. DVDx has been designed especialy for unexperimented users, it is a simple and intuitive program. You only need Nero to burn your VCD/SVCD. DVDx has evolved in a very powerful program, the fastest DVD backup solution ever and is now adopted by a lot of people including advanced users.

DVDx is an encoder which converts any MPEG/DVD movie in a smaller file such as DivX, AVI, WMV, VCD, SVCD or WMV.

DVDx is an open-source software, hosted as a Source Forge project, official website is hosted at labDV.com.

DVDx installers are all freeware, available for numerous places. Due to legal constraints, the Ultra Edition (which includes the DVD ripper) is available from a fewer location.

The best place to download DVDx is the official website or Source Forge and of course Doom9 which deserve to be updated to 2.6 release
Old 3rd December 2006, 18:12   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

Thanks for the information ;>}
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:31   #5  |  Link
Jim@labDV.com

U're welcome
Old 5th December 2006, 08:04   #6  |  Link
745aardvark

DVDx 2.6 is NOT available..

The DOOM9 site is without a doubt an excellent site. It
is very unfortunate that DOOM9 is bound by others, and I
mean DVDx, as to when a pgm is available.

The problem is that LabDV announces a version is available
when it is NOT. This refers to DVDx 2.6 which has to be
purchased
745aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 08:07   #7  |  Link
745aardvark

DVDx 2.6 is NOT available..

The DOOM9 site is without a doubt an excellent site. It
is very unfortunate that DOOM9 is bound by others, and I
mean DVDx, as to when a pgm is available.

The problem is that LabDV announces a version is available
when it is NOT. This refers to DVDx 2.6 which has to be
purchased.

DVDx is either freeware, shareware, or NOT either. It is tricky and
unethical to announce something is available when it is not.

DVDx should either be commercial, freeware, or shareware and
not something in between.
745aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 08:37   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

@Jim@labDV.com

As pointed out by "745aardvark", it seems that there's some confusion here. Please be good enough to answer a couple of questions directly:

1) As I asked before, is DVDx, in its entirety and all different "flavors" (including "Ultra Edition"), freeware? (As your previous post appears to indicate)

2) Why is it that SourceForge indicates v.2.5 to be the most current available for download?

3) Why is it that your links (both homepage and download) have resulted in multiple timeouts?

4) Can you provide a DIRECT link to DVDx on the Doom9 site?

Last edited by setarip_old; 5th December 2006 at 08:40.
Old 5th December 2006, 09:12   #9  |  Link
Chetwood

And most important: how does it compare to the completely free AutoGK?

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 11:55   #10  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
This refers to DVDx 2.6 which has to be
purchased
this is incorrect. to download the ultra version(which includes decss so you can rip from dvds) from LabDV you must be a member. membership to the whole LabDV website and access to the files server is what you are paying for. that is perfectly allowed under the GPL. it has been discussed in the past.
i know Jim said
Quote:
standard (ripper free) version and source code from labDV as a non registered user
but that obviously hasnt been done yet.

setarip_old - that should answer your first question aswell.

Quote:
DVDx is either freeware, shareware, or NOT either. It is tricky and unethical to announce something is available when it is not.
it IS freeware. just because you have to be a paying member to get it from 1 place doesnt change that. once its available at other sites, which it always is, its up to them if they wish to charge you access or for free. many are free.

Quote:
2) Why is it that SourceForge indicates v.2.5 to be the most current available for download?
sourceforge usually takes a little while to be updated to the latest version. also the decss version binary will not be available from there ofcourse.

Quote:
And most important: how does it compare to the completely free AutoGK?
and you have been here long enough to know you should decide that for yourself.
Old 5th December 2006, 17:37   #11  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
it IS freeware. just because you have to be a paying member to get it from 1 place doesnt change that.
So, it's "free", except you have to pay to get it from the one place that presently makes it available;>}
Quote:
that is perfectly allowed under the GPL
Whether it is allowed under GPL is not the question. The posts to this thread by "Jim@labDVD.com" (presumably the author) appear to be intentionally vague regarding any cost involved to obtain any version of this software.

I would hope that "Jim@labDVD.com" wil be good enough to directly respond to my previously asked four questions, as well as those of the other posters to this thread, so there can be no misunderstanding or ill will...
Old 5th December 2006, 19:02   #12  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
So, it's "free", except you have to pay to get it from the one place that presently makes it available;>}
basically yes. you have to either be a current member or pay to become a member of LabDV. it still doesnt not make the actual program freeware. also as stated the ripper free(meaning decss) version will be available from sourceforge soon, that just usually takes a little while later.
should i mention other software such as FairUse which you can download the light version for free(restricted to making no larger than 700mb avis) but have to pay for the full version unless you get it elswhere ?

Quote:
Whether it is allowed under GPL is not the question. The posts to this thread by "Jim@labDVD.com" (presumably the author) appear to be intentionally vague regarding any cost involved to obtain any version of this software.
not at all. i have quite clearly spelled it out to you. as for author, look at the names on the main screen sometime and you will see me there. i was one of the authors for a very long time, contributing code to Jean Luc Pons(the original author) and it was me that released DVDx 2.3 alone. however with my other interests(rejig and QuEnc) DVDx took a backseat. so Jim and others have taken over updating it from 2.4 on.

Quote:
so there can be no misunderstanding or ill will...
any misunderstanding is coming from you guys. DVDx has been around for many years and its distribution is not breaking the GPL so really you have nothing to complain about. ok it would be nice if the version sourceforge was done at the same time but surely waiting just for a little while is not going to kill anyone.
Old 5th December 2006, 19:12   #13  |  Link
setarip_old

@dragongodz

As I said previously, I would hope that "Jim@labDVD.com" (the threadstarter) will be good enough to directly respond to my previously asked four questions, as well as those of the other posters to this thread, so there can be no misunderstanding or ill will...
Old 5th December 2006, 19:18   #14  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

At least version 2.5.1 can be found here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/d...date&sort=desc

DVDx 2.6 is not there (yet?)

But who needs DVDx anyway when MEncoder can do the job very well ???
Old 6th December 2006, 12:03   #15  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
As I said previously, I would hope that "Jim@labDVD.com" (the threadstarter) will be good enough to directly respond to my previously asked four questions
the fact is i have already answered several of those questions. it should not take Jim to answer them for you to believe or understand them.
i will however spell them out so its crystal clear.

Quote:
1) As I asked before, is DVDx, in its entirety and all different "flavors" (including "Ultra Edition"), freeware? (As your previous post appears to indicate)
YES. all versions are freeware. the fact you have to be a paying member of a particular website to initially get the ultra version does not change that at all.

Quote:
sourceforge usually gets updated with the latest ripper free version a little while after. this is even mentioned on the LabDV DVDx download page(not main DVDx page). the links on the download page are working though.

Quote:
3) Why is it that your links (both homepage and download) have resulted in multiple timeouts?
works perfectly fine here. to download the standard(ripper free) version go to the download page
http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/download.php
go down to the section headed "Standard Version and Source Code". from there you can download the standard version binary and the source code without being a member.

Quote:
But who needs DVDx anyway when MEncoder can do the job very well ???
hmm and who needs thread hijackers and derailers ? if you are interested in promoting another program then open a new thread for it. otherwise you are just being offensive to the people that have put in their free time and effort to provide another alternative free program.

there is a thread about free pie, seems some people should read it.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7770

Last edited by dragongodz; 6th December 2006 at 12:13.
dragongodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 13:45   #16  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Thanks for the work and updates guys. Bout time someone actually said that. KUTGW

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 18:18   #17  |  Link
setarip_old

@dragongodz

Even if all "Jim@labDVD.com" says in direct response to my questions is, "Everything 'dragongodz' said is correct", that would be fine - but please don't suggest that I must accept your explanations for questions I've posed specifically to the threadstarter.

Just as you are free to offer your explanations, I'm free to ask for a response from the threadstarter, who likewise is free to respond or not...
Old 6th December 2006, 19:34   #18  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Straight download here
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 02:50   #19  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
but please don't suggest that I must accept your explanations for questions
what i said was
Quote:
it should not take Jim to answer them for you to believe or understand them.
so please do not say i said you MUST anything.

Quote:
Just as you are free to offer your explanations, I'm free to ask for a response from the threadstarter
of course. you are perfectly free to not believe someone(me) who actually knows something about the subject just because they didnt start the topic.

the link DDog gives by the way is the one i mentioned is on the download page(i gave the link to that). if that fails for you aswell then there is a problem with your connection to LabDV and not LabDV itself. if so say and i will do a quick mirror for that if you want.
Old 10th December 2006, 11:32   #20  |  Link
OCedHrt

Too bad code generated by Intel's compiler runs slower than code generated by either GCC or Microsoft's compiler with basic O2 or O3 optimization on AMD Athlons.
OCedHrt is offline   Reply With Quote