Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st July 2008, 19:56   #1  |  Link
lcymru

Mobile Encoding for iPod Touch

I'm a long time, but non-expert, user of DVD-RB Pro. The iPod Touch is on the way. In advance of its arrival, I performed my first Mobile encode and have a couple of questions.

1. I chose the H.264 16:9 profile for a 16:9 movie input (and assume that I should choose the 4:3 profile for a 4:3 movie input). Is that the wise choice for the Touch?

2. I didn't spend much time on it, but via XP Task Manager it appeared that only one core of my Core 2 Duo was being used during the encode (my encoding "Speed" was 1.6 on a C2D 6600). As best as I can tell, DVD-RB auto detects dual cores and adds a parameter to the FFMPEG command line to utilize both. Can I determine whether DVD-RB has correctly detected the cores and has set the command line parameter accordingly? If DVD-RB has not done so, can I force the parameter?

Thank you.
lcymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:46   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

1. Yes, that's the best way to do it. DVD-RB will adjust the picture, however, if the movie and the command don't match. For example, if you selected 4:3 on a movie that was 16:9 it will add black borders and the output would be letterboxed.

2. If you double-click on the dialog box's background during the encode, the command line is copied to the clipboard. You can then paste it into a CMD.EXE session and modify it as you wish.

If your system has multiple cores the "-threads x" command line option is added to the FFMPEG command.

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd July 2008 at 18:49.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 15:27   #3  |  Link
lcymru

Thank you. The DVD-RB H.264 output played perfectly on the iPod Touch. And I made a mistake about the use of both cores during encoding -- both cores were in fact being used. DVD-RB is truly a superb program.
lcymru is offline   Reply With Quote