Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 19th June 2004, 17:50   #21  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Soulhunter
And, re-writing the AVI unpacked ???
This would be a dream come true
Old 19th June 2004, 17:52   #22  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by Soulhunter
And, re-writing the AVI unpacked ???
well if possible
but i think syskin meant more only the bitstream description changing not the whole video stream

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2004, 18:45   #23  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Ahh, thought it was a reply to S.M.D's post !!!
Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital

Additional features, such as packed bitstream removal, 4CC changing, and being able to add/alter 'summary information' would be the icing on the cake.
Bye

Visit my IRC channel

Last edited by Soulhunter; 19th June 2004 at 18:47.
Soulhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2004, 18:25   #24  |  Link
kassandro

Which players use these avi aspect ratios? Are there any hardware players too?
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2004, 18:43   #25  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

There is a MediaTek chipset based stand-player which can detect AR signalling incorporated into the bitstream.

Have a look in the "hardware section"!

Cheers
Old 24th June 2004, 23:28   #26  |  Link
Moitah

Version 1.1.0 released, first post has been updated .
Moitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2004, 23:35   #27  |  Link
Moitah

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
hm i am not so sure if its a that good idea to make it too easy to change the user data of the bitstream
I thought about your suggestion but couldn't think of a nice way to do it, and I would hate to limit its abilities.
Old 25th June 2004, 05:03   #28  |  Link
sysKin

Quote:
Originally posted by Moitah
I've just discovered that packed bitstream removal for DivX5 may be broken.
An update: it isn't. It's xvid decoder that is broken, and the bug is really really stupid.

This happens on divx5 streams but not xvid PB streams. I'll commit the fix, but you'll probably need xvid 1.1alpha to have it working.

Radek
Old 25th June 2004, 10:56   #29  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I've just removed the packed bitstream from an DivX 1B-VOP packed bitstream encode.

When you play it back via WMP9 or MPC the image shakes about like something from an Irwin Allen disaster movie. Forcing the encode to play via XviD's DSdec filter reveals the same symptoms. Everything is OK if you delete all the UserData though.

Perfect playback via the 3ivX DSdec filter or via Nero's ShowTime player, with or without the UserData!

Tried the same test with an XviD 1B-VOP packed bitstream encode. And the same thing happened...

Sadly this tool has not helped me with XviD 1B-VOP encodes played back via Sigma Xcard.... so god knows what makes XviD and DivX so different in this regard!

This tool is great fun... I love it...
Old 25th June 2004, 21:46   #30  |  Link
pogo stick
I have sawdust in my head

Re: MPEG4Modifier v1.1.0 Released

Quote:
Originally posted by Moitah
New feature: packed bitstream removal
Great! Thanks, Moitah!
So should I remove 'DivX999b000p' part in XviD movie or just change 'p' to 'n' when removing packed bitstream? And, just out of curiosity, what all the numbers and letters after DivX and XviD mean? I was told that 'p' is packed bitstream and 'c' is cartoon mode.
pogo stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2004, 21:55   #31  |  Link
bond

Re: Re: MPEG4Modifier v1.1.0 Released

Quote:
Originally posted by pogo stick
Great! Thanks, Moitah!
So should I remove 'DivX999b000p' part in XviD movie or just change 'p' to 'n' when removing packed bitstream? And, just out of curiosity, what all the numbers and letters after DivX and XviD mean? I was told that 'p' is packed bitstream and 'c' is cartoon mode.
change the "p" to "n"
that way no decoder will think that its still packed, but still it will be possible to detect that the stream had been outputted packed by the encoder if something is borky

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 25th June 2004, 22:07   #32  |  Link
Moitah

Re: Re: MPEG4Modifier v1.1.0 Released

Quote:
Originally posted by pogo stick
If it's an XviD encode, you can just remove the fake DivX userdata when unpacking the bitstream. The XviD encoder only writes DivX userdata when packed bitstream is used. For a DivX encode, I believe you can either remove the 'p', or change it to 'n'.

The XviD userdata string is 'XviD' followed by a 4 character bitstream version (for example, XviD 1.0.1 writes the userdata 'XviD0035'). If the character 'C' is appended to the end, this indicates cartoon mode. The DivX userdata string is 'DivX' + version + 'b' + build ('DivX503b1031' for DivX 5.1.1), followed by a 'p' if packed bitstream was used.

EDIT: bond was quicker . Yeah, if you want to leave the fake DivX userdata string in there and just change 'p' to 'n' it won't hurt anything.

Last edited by Moitah; 25th June 2004 at 22:10.
Old 26th June 2004, 09:48   #33  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I noticed when you generate a DivX5.1.1 encode with 1B-VOP packed bitstream (PBS). MPEG4 Modifier displays the UserData as being, DivX503b1031p.

And when you generate a XviD1.0.1 encode with 1B-VOP packed bitstream (PBS). MPEG4 Modifier displays the UserData as being, DivX999b000p and XviD0035

The DivX user code is totally different. Could it be something as simple as this that confuses some stand alone players?

And... I remember some people on the DivX forum wanting a tool that could detect the exact version of DivX that was used in an encode. Could this tool do this?

Cheers
Old 26th June 2004, 10:01   #34  |  Link
bond

Quote:
The DivX user code is totally different. Could it be something as simple as this that confuses some stand alone players?
i dont think so, as thats simply the way how divx5 and xvid mark packed bitstream AND a decoder should NOT look at the user data and in fact no decoder does it atm, except the one from xvid

Quote:
And... I remember some people on the DivX forum wanting a tool that could detect the exact version of DivX that was used in an encode. Could this tool do this?
should be possible
someone would have to investigate which version number used which "bitstream version" and create a list

i dont really like the idea that people can mess around with the user data, its simply a very accurate way to identify the used codec (including some codec settings) and there shouldnt be a reason why to change it (except with the xvid decoder, which syskin already announced to change to not care about the user data anymore )

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 26th June 2004, 11:04   #35  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
should be possible
someone would have to investigate which version number used which "bitstream version" and create a list
I guess somebody at DivX could provide this and maybe throw in some beta codings!

I can see this tool being useful for some DivX users...

I've always found Sigma's AVIcheck to be useful (I know - don't say it). Although it can't tell you the version of DivX used, it can very quickly, tell you if the stream contains B-VOP's, S-VOP and Qpel. To have something like this in MPEG4Modifier would be great, especially if it could tell you how many consecutive / variable B-VOP's were used!

Would this be possible?

Cheers
Old 26th June 2004, 14:18   #36  |  Link
gotaserena
String Theorist

Quote:
it can very quickly, tell you if the stream contains B-VOP's, S-VOP and Qpel. To have something like this in MPEG4Modifier would be great,
Yup something like a/v streams info would be nice...

BTW I'm finding the error "Startcode not found at the beginning of the frame" when I try some .avis. Is the problem in the stream or the program?

Quote:
especially if it could tell you how many consecutive / variable B-VOP's were used!
But doesn't this require an extensive analysis of the stream? The program would turn into another DRFAnalyzer... FWIW I would like to have compatibility with .mp4 (or .mkv), but I guess that's too much work.

Great tool, Moitah!
gotaserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2004, 14:37   #37  |  Link
Moitah

Quote:
Originally posted by gotaserena
I'm finding the error "Startcode not found at the beginning of the frame" when I try some .avis...
This happens when you load a video that isn't MPEG4 compliant.

Quote:
Originally posted by gotaserena
Great tool, Moitah!
Thanks
Old 26th June 2004, 14:48   #38  |  Link
Moitah

Quote:
... it can very quickly, tell you if the stream contains B-VOP's, S-VOP and Qpel. To have something like this in MPEG4Modifier would be great, especially if it could tell you how many consecutive / variable B-VOP's were used!

Would this be possible?
It would be possible, sure. I already have to determine each frame's VOP type (I/P/B/S/N) for removing packed bitstream. I don't know if generating stats is something I want to add, but I will think about it.
Old 7th July 2004, 10:18   #39  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Moitah,

I've had yet another wild thought!

Would it be possible to create a tool that can alter the PAR and DAR of Mpeg1 and Mpeg2 streams?

And....

If you is possible to adapt MPEG4Modifier to show if an Mpeg4 stream contains B-VOP, Qpel and GMC. Would it also be possible to identify the type of GMC was used ie: 1WP or 3WP?

This sort of feature should prove useful for some of us hardware player users!

And....

Given that MPEG4Modifier is not specifically related to XviD, would it be better to move this thread to another part of the forum. I reckon loads of people are missing out.

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 7th July 2004 at 10:28.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2004, 04:40   #40  |  Link
Moitah

@SeeMoreDigital: I'm not really interested in messing with MPEG 1/2. I would like to do some stats in the next version, including B-VOP/QPel/GMC information (yes, I believe I will be able to determine the number of warp points). Also I plan to allow the field order flag to be modified for interlaced encodes.