Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th March 2016, 07:19   #36921  |  Link
marlonqpa

Wrong thread.

Last edited by marlonqpa; 18th March 2016 at 07:22. Reason: Deleted.
marlonqpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 07:26   #36922  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Artifact removal - Debanding: Off
I got it set to low/low for that matter but anyway both chroma & luma SR add EE and that very noticeably improves smoothness IME as eye tracking of objects in motion is less distracted, it also gives a sharper look to SmoothMotion making it entirely usable
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 08:31   #36923  |  Link
XTrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damie View Post
The panel supports 91% of DCI P3, and 90% is the requirement for the Ultra HD Premium specification. Of course this still means only 66% of BT.2020.

The colors look off if I select BT.709 on the TV menu for this source, where as they look good with BT.2020. I guess this is due to the different RGB primaries.

The source is YUV 4:2:0, so shouldn't I get the least amount of conversions if I select Ycbcr420 from nvidia control panel?
If you have Rec2020, 10bit+, 4k Movies, I suggest playing them from the TV itself through network or USB, from what I can tell MadVR only improves quality by just a little on these type of movies, but it introduces a lot of hassle that's not worth it for the time being. Wait until HDCP 2.2 and AACS 2.0 gets cracked as the PC world isn't ready yet for the new UHD quality movies.

Last edited by XTrojan; 18th March 2016 at 08:33.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 08:38   #36924  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
...anyway both chroma & luma SR add EE...
Pls excuse my ignorance but what is "EE"?
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:09   #36925  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildsun View Post
I was wondering about this as well. If my goal is to have two profiles ("anime" and "liveaction" for example) with a single keyboard shortcut to switch between them, is this possible? While I can sort of achieve it using profile groups, it's a bit cumbersome because I need to use a different keyboard shortcut to toggle each profile group. I guess I'm looking for something like "global profiles", which would capture all settings into a single profile, rather than dividing them into groups.
One way to go about this is to use the
Code:
filePath
variable:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...17#post1271417

If you have a folder structure like
S:\ANIME\...etc
S:\LIVEACTION\...etc
You could have your profiles say
Code:
if (filepath == "*ANIME\*)"
etc...

Then you wouldn't need a keyboard shortcut at all (if you really wanted to go the shortcut route, have you tried putting multiple profile groups under one hotkey?)
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:16   #36926  |  Link
mueslibrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Great stuff many thanks for that Warner. I will try both tonight and report back.

Forgot to ask, do you both use projectors?
I use JRiver and simply replace the madVR instance with the latest version. Its under the plugins folder. I've not had any issues with JRiver by doing this but you'll need to double check that the instance doesn't get overridden when JRiver installs its update.
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:25   #36927  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
I use JRiver and simply replace the madVR instance with the latest version. Its under the plugins folder. I've not had any issues with JRiver by doing this but you'll need to double check that the instance doesn't get overridden when JRiver installs its update.
Do you also use any of the video settings in JRiver when the madvr settings are used? Should JRiver video settings be used or all turned off?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:37   #36928  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

I hope it is ok when I ask for hardware support?

Is this graphic card enaugh to play HD content.
Important is the passiv cooling.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:46   #36929  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post

Yea, if you don't go overkill with some madVR settings.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:49   #36930  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post

Nothing wrong with 750Ti for madVR. You just won't be able to use the more demanding settings but it's a good card for getting started. Wouldn't surprise me if someone released a GTX 950 passively cooled some time soon.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 11:52   #36931  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Yea, if you don't go overkill with some madVR settings.
I had used madVR always with default settings (disabled exclusive mode). With my "new" low graphic card don't work well playing
(only with exclusive mode it works good, but I don't like this mode).
Old 18th March 2016, 11:58   #36932  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
... You just won't be able to use the more demanding settings ...
What are the "more demanding settings"?

I use Win7, so 3D playback is limited to SBS, and I don't need this feature (cause nobody of us has a Holodeck)
Old 18th March 2016, 15:13   #36933  |  Link
thewildsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
One way to go about this is to use the
Code:
filePath
variable:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...17#post1271417

If you have a folder structure like
S:\ANIME\...etc
S:\LIVEACTION\...etc
You could have your profiles say
Code:
if (filepath == "*ANIME\*)"
etc...

Then you wouldn't need a keyboard shortcut at all (if you really wanted to go the shortcut route, have you tried putting multiple profile groups under one hotkey?)
I did try putting multiple profile groups under one hotkey, but when using the hotkey it only toggled one of the profile groups.

Using the file path is a good idea that I didn't think of. While it would still be nice to be able to switch a global profile with one keyboard shortcut (to easily compare different global profiles with one keystroke, for example), this is something I can work with for now. Thanks a lot!
thewildsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 16:16   #36934  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Do you also use any of the video settings in JRiver when the madvr settings are used? Should JRiver video settings be used or all turned off?
The Red October HQ setting uses LAV, so all you have to do is add madVR as the video renderer. Strangely, new updates of JRiver MC don't necessarily include the latest version of LAV (given that Hendrik works for JRiver). If you like to use LAV nightlies, for example, and don't want to replace the files in the JRiver folder, you can set up LAV filters as external as well.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 17:05   #36935  |  Link
mueslibrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
The Red October HQ setting uses LAV, so all you have to do is add madVR as the video renderer. Strangely, new updates of JRiver MC don't necessarily include the latest version of LAV (given that Hendrik works for JRiver). If you like to use LAV nightlies, for example, and don't want to replace the files in the JRiver folder, you can set up LAV filters as external as well.
Yes I use the Red October as the starting point then add madVr as the renderer. I install the Lav nightlies but also overwrite the lav folder under JRiver plugins - just in case.
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 17:17   #36936  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
The Red October HQ setting uses LAV, so all you have to do is add madVR as the video renderer.
ROHQ uses madVR on its own (in fact thats what makes it HQ), no need to go to a custom mode. JRMC usually favors a more stable target, so any version we include is generally more thoroughly tested by us, which might make versions slightly out of date. You can always update it in the plugins folder if you want, just like LAV.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 18th March 2016 at 17:22.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 20:41   #36937  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
If you are using JRiver, I'm not sure you have access to image enhancements and upscaling refinement due to it using an older version of madVR. If you do have access to these settings, they are an acquired taste with no right or wrong setting. Personally, I don't like SuperRes for chroma upscaling but others do.

I think NEDI doubling and SSID 2D downscaling refer to supersampling. Supersampling involves image doubling a source and then downscaling it back to the original resolution (1080p -> 2160p -> 1080p). The result may impress or it may not.

Reconstruction soft is considered the best chroma upscaler by some. This is less debatable but still a matter of preference.

There are many ways to set up a 1080p source.

This is leeperry's preference:

1080p -> 2160p Supersampling:
  • Chroma: Reconstruction (soft), SuperRes (1)
  • Image: N/A
  • Double Luma: 2x supersampling - NEDI
  • Double Chroma: 2x supersampling - NEDI
  • Downscaling: SSIM 2D 25% + AR + LL
  • Upscaling refinement: enhance details (0.7), SuperRes (1)
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Off
  • Image enhancements: Off
  • Dithering: Error Diffusion 2
This is my preference:

1080p:
  • Chroma: NNEDI3 32 neurons
  • Image: Jinc3 + AR
  • Image doubling: Off
  • Upscaling refinement: Off
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium/High
  • Image enhancements: crispen edges (0.6) + AR
  • Dithering: Error Diffusion 2
As you can see, there is no "correct" set up when it comes to many settings. You have to try them yourself.
My Image enhancements do work so maybe my madvr was installed differently and not the recommended way JRiver wants....

I tried both leeperry and warner settings, both look good to me on my RS600 projector, Im really impressed!!!
No more dropped frames and stutter like I have with Kodi/openeleq, this is great news! So far so good, my tests on my new PC and the results so far are spectacular compared to Kodi.

Yet it does take a bit to learn, there are so many settings and clicking the wrong one can have dramatic effects that can be better or worse, but I like to experiment!

So I might be coming back in here to re check with the experts from time to time.

When setting everything to play at 60Hz (25, 50, 29, 60, 24) do you set Smooth Motion to Always or Only when needed?
Old 18th March 2016, 21:23   #36938  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
When setting everything to play at 60Hz (25, 50, 29, 60, 24) do you set Smooth Motion to Always or Only when needed?
IMHO, the best is allow monitor(or what you have) to switch 50, 59 and 60 Hz refresh rates (at display modes page) and enable smooth motion to "or if display refresh rate is an exact multiple of movie frame rate" option.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 21:56   #36939  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
IMHO, the best is allow monitor(or what you have) to switch 50, 59 and 60 Hz refresh rates (at display modes page) and enable smooth motion to "or if display refresh rate is an exact multiple of movie frame rate" option.
Yes I know that but you didn't read my earlier long post why I need to do it all at 60Hz. I have a film club and before the main feature we play a number of shorts which are mixed content, 25, 50, 60, 24 but it takes my new JVC RS600 up to 17 secs to sync when changing. It obvious what happens, every new clip/short has video cut, audio fine, but the beginning of every short is just a black screen for up to 17 secs.... Shocking! So we cant screen that way...

Having everything locked into 60Hz prevents this and we have no black screens between changes... Plus many on here say they get much nicer playback (smoother) playing 24 BDs at 60Hz. I don't care if the clips and shorts we have at the start of a feature are not 100% perfect, lots come off youtube so to start with they arnt often the correct frame rate anyway...

So far my tests using madvr/JRiver have been way better than locking everything to 60 on Kodi/openelec, I just cant get any smooth motion with that formula.
Old 18th March 2016, 23:32   #36940  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Great stuff many thanks for that Warner. I will try both tonight and report back.

Forgot to ask, do you both use projectors?
No, a plasma and an LED here.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling