Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 21st June 2009, 22:46   #41  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

While we are active on working towards 2.0, we have changed any short term release so that it does not interfere with the massive 1.0 adoption that is going on now. What is more likely near term is refining the 1.x specs for:
- New codec formats
- Clarify profiles and certifications ( read: http://www.robotplanet.dk/video/matr...n_thoughts.php ).
- Submit the new RFC

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 00:39   #42  |  Link
Sukrim

A big thanks for the update!

The only point I'm missing: menu support?!
It's already in Matroska 1 somehow, if you want to certify something for Matroska, just force them to play menus as well!
Sukrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 01:06   #43  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

Menu's are proposed in the specs and in fact we had demos of menus about 4 years ago. That was a major reason why Steve created DMX (DVD Menu Extractor) to parse the schema elements to be read outside of DVD's (ie; to be later converted to Matroska Menu's).

http://corecodec.com

Last edited by BetaBoy; 30th June 2009 at 21:23.
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 20:49   #44  |  Link
Sukrim

I know that they are proposed... but that's already everything there is about menus unfortunately.

I hoped for an app that would take a DVD, squeeze it into a single container and then let me save space by encoding for example all videos via x264. It's nearly possible with Matroska, but menus are the biggest thing that's missing and I really hoped for Matroska 2.0 (or now, that it's getting delayed a definitive menu spec for 1.0 that also has to be implemented by someone who wants the certificate).

The biggest problem with your certification approach is that you only provide a container - it's like Winzip should be able to open/show any file that could be zipped.

Maybe create something like a "mkvHD"-Standard with one (or several) definitve codec(s) to be used for video, audio etc. as a subset to the whole "mkv" video file possibilities which can be easier certified/implemented?
Old 8th July 2009, 18:30   #45  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

matroska 2.0 is multiplataform?
sl1pkn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 04:17   #46  |  Link
Sukrim

Another year passed and still no news on Matroska (2.0) menus... *sigh*

sl1pkn07: It's a container/file format. Like a text file. The Specs are/will be open, so any media player software can implement it, regardless of the operating system.
Old 29th March 2010, 23:51   #47  |  Link
GuilhermeAraujo

I don't know if it's possible, but some times, when I'm muxing a video + subtitles, I forget do set the subtitle delay, and I only notice this when playing it.
Could it be able to add this delay info to the header, just like we can edit streams' names without remuxing everything?
GuilhermeAraujo is offline   Reply With Quote