Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 18th November 2004, 22:28   #21  |  Link
vlada

Hello,
many thanks for the great program. I'm a happy user of it for a long time and I try to spread matroska whenever I get chance. I delieve it is a solution for the future.
I have an idea - what about making a poll for new futures in version 1.2? If I could, I would sort the futures priorities this way:

1) Support for h.264, because it is the most promissing codec. It will be probably used a lot in the near future. If you won't be fast enough, the MP4 container will be the winner.
2) MPEG-1/2, because it is used in DVB-S and DVB-T broadcasting and will be used probably for a long time.
3) Support for speex - a low bitrate codec for speech is sometimes very useful

For matroska itself I would see the following targets:

1) Menu system
2} Continue work on Haali's splitter.
3) Try to get support for matroska on some HW players.
4) Make a SW player supporting all futures that matroska offers. Maybe based on MPC, MPlayer or VLC.

I'm sure other people will have different priorities, so why not to make a poll?

Many thanks and best regards,

Vlada
Old 19th November 2004, 06:43   #22  |  Link
McoreD

Congratulations Mosu!

Long live Matroska.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mmg-manual.zip (95.4 KB, 1208 views)

Old 19th November 2004, 11:25   #23  |  Link
Splashdriver

A very Big thanx for all the work you put up to it. one question though. I can't open attachments anymore with the default apps. I get a "failed to open attachment file". Is this an already known problem?

Big THANKS
Old 19th November 2004, 12:25   #24  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by Splashdriver
I can't open attachments anymore with the default apps. I get a "failed to open attachment file". Is this an already known problem?
I don't quite understand what you mean. Which application cannot open attachments? Do you mean that when you add an attachment with mmg that it breaks when you hit the "start muxing" button?

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 19th November 2004, 12:40   #25  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by vlada
Hello,
I have an idea - what about making a poll for new futures in version 1.2?
We've had such polls in the past for the general direction in which we should extend Matroska. The menu system was always pretty much the most requested feature Unfortunately it is the most difficult to implement, too. But robux4 has made some great progress in extracting all the info from the DVD IFO files, and Haali is implementing support for that in his splitter. We'll see how it turns out

Quote:
1) Support for h.264, because it is the most promissing codec. It will be probably used a lot in the near future. If you won't be fast enough, the MP4 container will be the winner.
MP4 will be the winner in any case, I'm afraid, simply because it's the "chosen one" in the media industry. Hardware DVD players will implement support for h.264 in MP4 (and MP4 in general) in the near future.

I've added it to my TODO list.

Quote:
2) MPEG-1/2, because it is used in DVB-S and DVB-T broadcasting and will be used probably for a long time.
Spyder and I are already working on this (at least on muxing MPEG-1/2 ES into Matroska. Parsing MPEG PS will be more difficult.).

I've added it to my TODO list, too.

Quote:
I'm not really sure that it is THAT important. You can get pretty nice results with Vorbis at very low bitrates, too. Nevertheless, I've added it to my TODO list.

Quote:
For matroska itself I would see the following targets:

1) Menu system
Definitely one of the most requested things. I've said something about that above already.

Quote:
2) Continue work on Haali's splitter.
He is, and we want to include it in our next codec pack in order to get more testing, and -- more importantly -- because we think that it is at least as good as if not better than Gabest's splitter.

Quote:
3) Try to get support for matroska on some HW players.
I don't think (and most of our Matroska team members agree) that this will not happen. Hardware players have very limited resources regarding memory and CPU power. Matroska on the other hand supports too many different codecs. A hardware vendor would have to support such a wide range of codecs, too, in order to be able to say "we support Matroska". Matroska's EBML basis is not the problem here -- the problem is that for some codecs like RealVideo there simply are no efficient and small decoders available.

Quote:
4) Make a SW player supporting all futures that matroska offers. Maybe based on MPC, MPlayer or VLC.
Definitely not mplayer Its architecture sucks, you'll never be able to get things like a menu system working with it. And we already have TCMP. It's not a "Matroska project", but the two are connected.

Last edited by Mosu; 19th November 2004 at 12:48.
Old 19th November 2004, 17:09   #26  |  Link
LeMoi

sorry but i stil have my 'Warning: matroska_reader: exception caught' error that prevents me from remuxing some of the file i have previously muxed
and i have a file with aac sound (codec_id : A_MS/ACM), a video and a sound and a ssa, and when i want to remux to change the ssa, i have lots of warnings :
Quote:
Warning: 'D:\file.mkv' track 2: The current packet's timecode is smaller than that of the previous packet. This usually means that the source file is a Matroska file that has not been created 100% correctly. The timecodes of all packets will be adjusted by 22ms in order not to lose any data. This may throw A/V sync off, but that can be corrected with mkvmerge's "--sync" option. If you already use "--sync" and you still get this warning then do NOT worry -- this is normal. If this error happens more than once and you get this message more than once for a particular track then either is the source file badly mastered, or mkvmerge contains a bug. In this case you should contact the author Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>.
Warning: 'D:\file.mkv' track 2: The current packet's timecode is smaller than that of the previous packet. This usually means that the source file is a Matroska file that has not been created 100% correctly. The timecodes of all packets will be adjusted by 22ms in order not to lose any data. This may throw A/V sync off, but that can be corrected with mkvmerge's "--sync" option. If you already use "--sync" and you still get this warning then do NOT worry -- this is normal. If this error happens more than once and you get this message more than once for a particular track then either is the source file badly mastered, or mkvmerge contains a bug. In this case you should contact the author Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>.
hundreds like that, and finally the sound is totally desynchronized
and i event can not extract the track with mkvextract, it says the codec-id is unrecognized
Old 19th November 2004, 17:21   #27  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by LeMoi
sorry but i stil have my 'Warning: matroska_reader: exception caught' error that prevents me from remuxing some of the file i have previously muxed
and i have a file with aac sound (codec_id : A_MS/ACM)
Sorry, but there's not really much I could do about it. AAC in Matroska is stored without the ADTS headers, and A_MS/ACM does not packetize the sound correctly (much like it is in AVI...).

Ok, maybe there is a way to fix this, but I need the file first. Please upload it to my FTP server.

Old 19th November 2004, 18:21   #28  |  Link
LeMoi

hum, i my file is 1 GB :/
i will try and up a splitted trunk of 10 MB
Old 19th November 2004, 19:21   #29  |  Link
Splashdriver

Quote:
I don't quite understand what you mean. Which application cannot open attachments? Do you mean that when you add an attachment with mmg that it breaks when you hit the "start muxing" button?
What I meant was that when I add attachments to a file with mmg, the attachments are actually muxed, but when I try to right click the file and view the attachments by clicking on the option "open with default apps" (under attachments), I got this error returned ( I hope I explained it better this time). Does this happen to anyone or am I the only one experiencing this problem right now?

Thanks in advance,

Splashdriver
Old 22nd November 2004, 21:22   #30  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

From the previous thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by Thana
a small bug i found in mmg up to the latest prerelease version (2004-11-11):

when i minimize the main window while muxing is in progress, it is impossible to restore it after muxing finished (except from taskmanager).
This pre-build should fix this issue: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20041122-1.rar

Old 22nd November 2004, 22:47   #31  |  Link
jkwarras

As other said, if it wasn't because of mkvtoolnik (and mmg gui) I'll probably have never used matroska.

So, I just wanted to say
Old 23rd November 2004, 02:42   #32  |  Link
thana

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosu
This pre-build should fix this issue: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...20041122-1.rar
hmm, it doesn't really fix it, now it's just not possible to minimize the main window anymore. the minimize/maximize buttons of the main window don't react when the process window or the job manager is open. and clicking on the minimize button of one of those just puts the main window in the background, and it's impossible to reach f.e. a desktop-icon behind it.
Old 23rd November 2004, 09:26   #33  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by thana
hmm, it doesn't really fix it, now it's just not possible to minimize the main window anymore.
Correct. If you want to minimize the whole thing then you'll have to minimize the front dialog instead. This minimizes all windows if the front window is modal (which it is in mmg).

(Side note: On Linux it seems to depend on the Window manager used. Most WMs allow the user to minimize all windows separately no matter if the other windows are modal or not, and they also don't seem to have that "stuck being minimized" problem either.)

Old 23rd November 2004, 17:23   #34  |  Link
thana

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosu
Correct. If you want to minimize the whole thing then you'll have to minimize the front dialog instead. This minimizes all windows if the front window is modal (which it is in mmg).
no, it doesn't here. as i said above:
Quote:
... clicking on the minimize button of one of those just puts the main window in the background ...
where "one of those" means the front window (processing or job manager). and "in the background" means behind all other windows, but not minimized.
sorry if that was unclear.
Old 23rd November 2004, 20:35   #35  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
where "one of those" means the front window (processing or job manager). and "in the background" means behind all other windows, but not minimized.
Ah ok, yes I see the problem, but I don't have a clue how to fix that (my limited knowledge in all things GUI is coming back to haunt me). I'll ask for help on the wxWidgets mailing list.

Old 23rd November 2004, 21:03   #36  |  Link
thana

just to clear up the confusion:

the way the windows worked in the original 1.0 release was already perfect! you could completely minimize the main window, and restore it by clicking in the taskbar, like expected. the only problem was, that you couldn't restore it when the muxing finished while it was minimized.
Old 23rd November 2004, 21:08   #37  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
just to clear up the confusion:

the way the windows worked in the original 1.0 release was already perfect! you could completely minimize the main window, and restore it by clicking in the taskbar, like expected. the only problem was, that you couldn't restore it when the muxing finished while it was minimized.
No, it wasn't perfect. You've mentioned one of the reasons. The other is that in that version the controls in the main window were still usable even when the muxing dialog was shown, and that is definitely not wanted (because mmg cannot cope with it).

Old 25th November 2004, 18:27   #38  |  Link
RedDwarf69

Quote:
Originally posted by vlada
I have an idea - what about making a poll for new futures in version 1.2? If I could, I would sort the futures priorities this way:

4) Support extracting VobSub files
Old 25th November 2004, 18:50   #39  |  Link
E-Male
mad computer-scientist

i'd like to second the request for speex support
it sure isn't a top priority, but it would be a really nice feature, for pure speech trax, like commentary or educational videos
Old 26th November 2004, 01:51   #40  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Having a crash with 1.0

Tryed to mux VP6 (AVI) with HE-AAC (rmvb). Worked #1 with older version.

Don't worry and keep the good work