Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th December 2013, 03:13   #21081  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSiem View Post
Got a new plasma the vt65 (uk vt60) and started to toy around with mpc hc with internal lab and madvr.

This is on a win7 with an intel hd4000. The main thing I'm trying to get my head round is the rgb range. Done a bit of reading and testing using the avs black clipping mp4. In this video black levels are represented by flashing bars numbered from 2-25 where 16 represents video black.

I'm just trying to see if I understand all I read on this correctly.

When I set the display to 0-255 and I set the gpu display output to to 0-255 and set madvr to the same again this causes the flashing bars from 2-16 to stop flashing as 0 rgb black is represented by bar 16 now.
Do i understand it correctly?
2-16 should be black in that sample. if this is the case you have done it right.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 17:24   #21082  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I've created a thread for madVR interaction with Samsung TVs if you're interested...
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 16:16   #21083  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Is it possible to output x.v.Color from my HTPC when madVR is used with MPC-BE and when using a ATI HD7950 GPU? I ask this because my display device supports x.v.Color and I want to check out some MI4K (Mastered In 4K) Blu-Ray content. But if you want to be able to see the larger color space x.v.Color the chain must be correct so:

MI4K discs (which can be played with MPC-BE) => output x.v.Color from HTPC => display device that supports x.v.Color.

An example of a current setup that can do this is:
MI4K Blu-Ray discs => PS4 => Sony VW500 projector.
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 17:17   #21084  |  Link
huhn

first of all you should look if your beamer is capable of showing colors out of srgb. you can see that after calibration. and at the end it "doesn't matter" if you output it with xv color or rgb.
the created 3d lut should use as many informations from the x v color spaces as possible.

but i'm missing a lot of knowledge in this case so...

at first you should make sure that your device can show colors which excessed rgb.

Last edited by huhn; 16th December 2013 at 17:49.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:45   #21085  |  Link
Werewolfy

I installed Windows 8.1 yesterday and I have a problem with refresh rate. When the video goes in fullscreen exclusive mode, refresh rate always switch from 24hz to 23hz.

I have read that this issue was fixed in madVR 86.3, I don't understand why it still happens now. I have tried the display mode switcher from madVR but it doesn't fix the issue. It works well in fullscreen overlay mode but never in exclusive mode.

Last edited by Werewolfy; 16th December 2013 at 23:01.
Werewolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 05:18   #21086  |  Link
Asmodian

I believe this is a known problem but with the video drivers. MadVR tells them to switch to 24hz correctly but somehow the drivers decide to switch to 23hz instead when in FSE.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 17:20   #21087  |  Link
Werewolfy

Ok I thought it was completely fixed now... Is there any downside not using fullscreen exclusive mode but fullscreen overlay mode instead if I don't experience tearing?
Old 17th December 2013, 19:27   #21088  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Ok I thought it was completely fixed now... Is there any downside not using fullscreen exclusive mode but fullscreen overlay mode instead if I don't experience tearing?
I just use regular windowed mode (no overlay) because it's still switching to 23/59 rather than 24/60 in FSE mode.

The only real difference is that power consumption is a bit higher, and seeking performance is not as smooth.

In Windowed or Windowed Overlay mode, seeking freezes up every so often if I'm just holding down a key to seek through a video. FSE mode does not have this problem for me.

Last edited by 6233638; 17th December 2013 at 19:31.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 00:41   #21089  |  Link
Werewolfy

Thanks for the information

I use overlay mode because I have better rendering times but it doesn't make a huge difference. Too bad we have those nasty issues with Windows 8.1, I really don't know why Microsoft has changed a thing that worked perfectly before.
Old 18th December 2013, 03:41   #21090  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Too bad we have those nasty issues with Windows 8.1, I really don't know why Microsoft has changed a thing that worked perfectly before.
Maybe it's an unintended consequence of whatever they had to do to get seamless refresh rate switching to work?

Supported hardware (tablet devices right now) is able to switch from 60Hz to 48Hz when playing films without any indication that the refresh rate has changed. This gives you judder-free playback of films, and reduces power consumption.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 02:14   #21091  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
Hi ... With the latest test builds, I experience dropped frames. It is not only with the latest version, it is also with the other you have uploaded. I did not have problems with dropped frames before now. What can I contribute in connection with troubleshooting?

12 minutes in the movie:
18 presentation glitches
121 dropped frames
I am pretty sure that you have made a fault with the Smooth motion switch. If I enable Smooth motion I get dropped frames, if I disable Smooth motion everything plays fine without droped frames
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 08:28   #21092  |  Link
Asmodian

I think this might due to the interaction of smooth motion and fade detection, frames that had been generated twice by smooth motion (which should be dropped) being dropped and showing up in the OSD. If you set the fade level to the same as the normal level for debanding you should stop seeing dropped frames in the OSD.

madVR also needs to rerender the last 5 frames when it detects a fade so fade detection when debanding might cause real frames drops when using small buffer sizes.

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th December 2013 at 08:33.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 18:26   #21093  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

BTW, we've often discussed what a good GPU for mVR would be, the answer was the GTX660 and IME a factory overclocked HD7850 does the trick very nicely

I constantly see gamers whining that their CPU acts a bottleneck in games showing all kinds of fps comparisons to make their point, but I'm very surprised to see that the Haswell Pentium's are essentially just as fast as their old S775 quads in many benchmarks: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I've also seen mVR users trying to keep their GPU in low power state in order to save a few watts, but for instance the 55€ Pentium G3420 comes with a 54W TDP and would appear to be an ideal choice for foobar+mVR users?

When using DXVA2 CP decoding, the only things running off the CPU would be the audio decoding/post-processing, Reclock, LAV Splitter and mVR's deinterlacing basically...54W does sound very yummy
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 19:05   #21094  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Faster CPUs don't consume more power, unless you actually give them more stuff to work on.
In fact, high-end CPUs are usually of a better silicon quality, which offer less leakage, and thus less power use.

Buying a slower CPU to save power is just wrong, it doesn't work. At best you use the same power as a faster CPU, at worst, even more. That is of course, assuming the same workload. Can't compare 100% load on both CPUs, have to compare the same workload, ie. video playback, and not benchmarks.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:25   #21095  |  Link
huhn

the tdp is misleading it only shows the theoretical max power usage but typical usage and prime benchmarking are normally lower and the g/a-pu is a part of the tdp too.

2 cores should spare power in idle that's about it when the same architecture is used.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:32   #21096  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Indeed, TDP is highly theoritical and I realize that a 2X/3X pricier CPU could yield a (slightly?) lower watt consumption than a G3420 for the same job, but it might very well be the same story as with the most efficient Platinum/Titanium 80+ PSU's that cost a lot more than a regular Bronze 80+ and come with a very low ROI in comparison. This would require a lot of real-world power measurements I guess.

All I'm seeing is that a 55€ 54W Pentium G3420 would appear to be almost as fast as my old 95W Q9450 in many benchmarks and I barely see the CPU load of the latter going over 15% in the Windows Task Manager while watching movies.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 01:31   #21097  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Faster CPUs don't consume more power, unless you actually give them more stuff to work on.
In fact, high-end CPUs are usually of a better silicon quality, which offer less leakage, and thus less power use.

Buying a slower CPU to save power is just wrong, it doesn't work. At best you use the same power as a faster CPU, at worst, even more. That is of course, assuming the same workload. Can't compare 100% load on both CPUs, have to compare the same workload, ie. video playback, and not benchmarks.
Underclocking helps regardless.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 11:09   #21098  |  Link
beter

When "present several frames in advance" in "exclusive mode settings" is disabled, DXVA2 decoder isn't usable anymore.
Is it a technical limitation, or just a bug?

Thanks.
beter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 11:48   #21099  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
When "present several frames in advance" in "exclusive mode settings" is disabled, DXVA2 decoder isn't usable anymore.
Is it a technical limitation, or just a bug?
works fine for me. the backbuffer stays at 0-1 but there aren't any framedrops all.

but changing back to "present several frames in advance" make you trouble in exclusive mode until i restart the player.
Old 20th December 2013, 11:58   #21100  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
All I'm seeing is that a 55€ 54W Pentium G3420 would appear to be [...]
...an excellent value for the money if we consider a lot of applications can't handle more than 1 thread, still today (task manager still shows 50% use with my 2 cores CPU when working hard with some applications).
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling