Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st April 2018, 11:33   #49981  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Sounds to me like your receiver is kinda whacky if it reports a 480p mode as the native resolution in the first place. You might want to stroll through its option and figure out what causes that. On Windows it can sometimes help to delete the monitor configuration entirely (from Windows, not madVR).
Its easy to just blame it on HDMI, but HDMI is just a cable, there is two devices talking to each other over that - so look at those devices, not the cable.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 1st April 2018 at 11:36.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 11:58   #49982  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Sounds to me like your receiver is kinda whacky if it reports a 480p mode as the native resolution in the first place. You might want to stroll through its option and figure out what causes that. On Windows it can sometimes help to delete the monitor configuration entirely (from Windows, not madVR).
Its easy to just blame it on HDMI, but HDMI is just a cable, there is two devices talking to each other over that - so look at those devices, not the cable.
I bet is not the cable, cause i have same issue, after playing game or watching movie in HDR all open staff get resized and pushed to top left corner. I've read about and it's something between TV native resolution and windows programs native resolution if it makes sense.
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 12:01   #49983  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
I figured out a way to force it to 3840x2160 using CRU, however Windows still resizes to 480p size after HDR playback.

Sigh, gonna have to just live with it and hope HDMI 2.1 isn't so damn fragile when it comes to handshaking.
Did u check this ? https://superuser.com/questions/2670...-turned-off-sw

read 7th post
Old 1st April 2018, 12:25   #49984  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
I bet is not the cable, cause i have same issue, after playing game or watching movie in HDR all open staff get resized and pushed to top left corner. I've read about and it's something between TV native resolution and windows programs native resolution if it makes sense.
Yea that's exactly what happens. It also screws up Kodi (using MadVR/MPC-BE as an external player). It happens mainly on 3D and 4K HDR content.

Quote:
I will give everything in there a try, but i've already tried the registry entries and I cannot use a DVI-HDMI adapter because I need lossless/Atmos/DTS-X. The persistent windows program running in the background might be my best bet.

Last edited by tyrindor; 1st April 2018 at 12:31.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 12:38   #49985  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, I know a few people on here also use KODI DS, anyone know whats happened to the KODI DS thread? "INVALID FORUM" - has it moved?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 12:57   #49986  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, I know a few people on here also use KODI DS, anyone know whats happened to the KODI DS thread? "INVALID FORUM" - has it moved?
Did you check the date today?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=330410

K
PS - sorry for being off-topic, just helping mclingo out.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 1st April 2018 at 13:00.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 13:01   #49987  |  Link
mclingo

yes, however its after noon though and not really much of a joke is it?
Old 1st April 2018, 13:03   #49988  |  Link
mclingo

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-no-more

i'm guessing this is the "issue", I guess they are using this "joke" in order to take time to update something on their servers, cant see any reason to take a forum down for a day as a joke otherwise.
Old 1st April 2018, 13:28   #49989  |  Link
tyrindor

http://www.ninjacrab.com/persistent-windows/

I can confirm that this fixes my windows resizing issues after HDR playback. It's not a great solution though, it's an alpha program that was abandoned in 2015 and it must be ran 24/7. Surprisingly I could find no alternatives.

I tried everything else, and even manually editing EDID to force 4K at all times didn't fix it. My theory is that windows loses connection to the TV/Receiver completely for a split second while HDR is being disabled. When loss of HDMI handshake occurs windows briefly goes into 480p, which screws up all your window sizes and positions. Honestly, why windows still can't remember window sizes based on resolution is beyond me.
Old 1st April 2018, 13:28   #49990  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
Yea that's exactly what happens. It also screws up Kodi (using MadVR/MPC-BE as an external player). It happens mainly on 3D and 4K HDR content.

I will give everything in there a try, but i've already tried the registry entries and I cannot use a DVI-HDMI adapter because I need lossless/Atmos/DTS-X. The persistent windows program running in the background might be my best bet.
Masybe remove everything in registry i mean like whole string restart pc and see what is there, or maybe look trough there if there isnt anywhere:

ActiveSize.cx =
ActiveSize.cy =

with your dodgy native 480p resolution and change it to 3180x2160
Old 1st April 2018, 13:37   #49991  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Masybe remove everything in registry i mean like whole string restart pc and see what is there, or maybe look trough there if there isnt anywhere:

ActiveSize.cx =
ActiveSize.cy =

with your dodgy native 480p resolution and change it to 3180x2160
I deleted that entire reg directory and restarted, the end result was 1 entry that was set to 3840x2160. I then played HDR, had it resize my windows, restarted again, and still only 1 entry. Editing those entries fixed my dual monitor woes in the past, but I think this issues is entirely different.

I feel it is caused by windows briefly losing HDMI handshake completely as the receiver or TV switches modes (HDR on to HDR off). Windows handles this very poorly, and seems to force a 480p signal while it waits for a display to be detected again. Windows lacks the ability to remember window size based on resolution, so all your windows just get resized to 480p. I removed all other resolutions but 4K from the EDID on my receiver/TV and it still didn't fix the issue, I don't know what else it could possibly be. Since I am not the only one with this happening, I can only assume it's a bug with NVIDIA or Windows, and the lack of reports might be because there aren't many people running 4K HDR displays yet.

I'll be setting up MadVR on a friend's computer soon, and I am interested to see if it happens on his too. Though, he has the same TV, graphics card, and receiver so I fully expect it to.

Last edited by tyrindor; 1st April 2018 at 13:51.
Old 1st April 2018, 16:40   #49992  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Ok will do

Can i use reclock with it or not ?
Don't bother using ReClock for custom modes. ReClock is for PCM output only. Just pick another custom mode that reports frame drops in a smaller number than you currently have. They are in yellow and green from the optimization screen. These are more compatible than the perfect clock optimizations.

I get one frame repeat every 19 minutes. In a two hour movie, that is six repeated frames. That is six repeated frames out of 172,800 total frames. You have to understand what you need to correct and don't need to correct.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 16:45   #49993  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I get one frame repeat every 19 minutes. In a two hour movie, that is six repeated frames. That is six repeated frames out of 172,800 total frames. You have to understand what you need to correct and don't need to correct.
When running at 24 Hz, a frame drop/repeat can be quite visible because it lasts a long time (42 ms). If you're out of luck and you get one of these six repeats in the middle of a panning shot, it's going to be extremely noticeable.

A good discontinuity interval is 2 hours or more, so that it is unlikely to happen in the span of a movie (or if it does, no more than once). Anything less than that is unacceptable for serious video playback.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 16:56   #49994  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Do you mean in mpc-hc : options -> playback -> output -> audio renderer : Direct Sound -> internal filters -> Audio renderer -> Device : Direct Sound Exclusive mode : check Allow bitstream : check ??
Yes, this one.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 18:32   #49995  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
When running at 24 Hz, a frame drop/repeat can be quite visible because it lasts a long time (42 ms). If you're out of luck and you get one of these six repeats in the middle of a panning shot, it's going to be extremely noticeable.

A good discontinuity interval is 2 hours or more, so that it is unlikely to happen in the span of a movie (or if it does, no more than once). Anything less than that is unacceptable for serious video playback.
Ok, it's unacceptable to you, but not me. If I could do better, I would. That was the only custom mode that was compatible with my equipment. Do the best you can with the limitations of the custom mode option and live with the results.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:15   #49996  |  Link
zaemon

Hey guys!

I have two questions/problems and I'm pretty sure someone has some answers for me:

- Following an Nvidia driver update (GTX 1080), once I launch a video in fullscreen (exclusive mode), the screen blinks/flashes green/pink with the video playing on the background. Solution: exiting fullscreen and reentering fullscreen. I gotta do this everytime I play a new video. I'm using latest LAV with DXVA copy-back (see below) but I have the same problem with MPC-HC internal filters
- I recently installed latest LAV to activate D3D11 instead of DXVA copy-back. With D3D11 and 4K 10-bit HEVC videos, the video never starts and the screen stays black. Play/pause is unresponsive. With HD H-264 8-bit videos, play starts normally.

Thanks in advance if you have any input.
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:35   #49997  |  Link
RainyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaemon View Post
Hey guys!

I have two questions/problems and I'm pretty sure someone has some answers for me:

- Following an Nvidia driver update (GTX 1080), once I launch a video in fullscreen (exclusive mode), the screen blinks/flashes green/pink with the video playing on the background. Solution: exiting fullscreen and reentering fullscreen. I gotta do this everytime I play a new video. I'm using latest LAV with DXVA copy-back (see below) but I have the same problem with MPC-HC internal filters
- I recently installed latest LAV to activate D3D11 instead of DXVA copy-back. With D3D11 and 4K 10-bit HEVC videos, the video never starts and the screen stays black. Play/pause is unresponsive. With HD H-264 8-bit videos, play starts normally.

Thanks in advance if you have any input.
This sounds like the issue I had which I fixed by manually selecting my GPU in the Hardware Device to use section of LAV video's properties.

This forces D3D11 to use copy-back mode otherwise it defaults to native if left set to Automatic.
RainyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:44   #49998  |  Link
zaemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDog View Post
This sounds like the issue I had which I fixed by manually selecting my GPU in the Hardware Device to use section of LAV video's properties.

This forces D3D11 to use copy-back mode otherwise it defaults to native if left set to Automatic.
Doesn't it defeat the purpose if I force LAV to use copy-back instead of native?

It works though (thanks) but performance is horrible, got dropped frames now.

Last edited by zaemon; 2nd April 2018 at 08:49.
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:51   #49999  |  Link
RainyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaemon View Post
Doesn't it defeat the purpose if I force LAV to use copy-back instead of native?
No as you'll still be using D3D11 as the hardware decoder (if selected obviously) but in copy-back mode instead of native.
RainyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:55   #50000  |  Link
ryrynz

Nevermind. I've been doing it wrong >.<

Last edited by ryrynz; 2nd April 2018 at 09:15.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling