Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th December 2017, 20:02   #47621  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Will a GTX1060 be enough for upscaling a 720p, 50 or 60 fps, video to 4K with the best settings?
Or should I go for the 1070, just to be sure?
No, a 1070 would not be enough for the "best" settings. A 1080 Ti is just enough for almost the best settings as long as you don't use too many enhancements and/or artifact removal options.
Old 8th December 2017, 20:08   #47622  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, a 1070 would not be enough for the "best" settings. A 1080 Ti is just enough for almost the best settings as long as you don't use too many enhancements and/or artifact removal options.
Thanks for that!

What would it take to upscale 720p based on your settings.bin?
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 21:27   #47623  |  Link
Asmodian

720 is probably one of the hardest modes (when going to 4K) in my settings.bin. It probably needs a full 1080 Ti, but hopefully one without an overclock or power target increase. My Titan X, with the same number of cores, can run all my settings at stock.. but 720p might need an increase to the power limit.
Old 8th December 2017, 23:30   #47624  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
no seriously, i've always had my display modes set to 24p and had no issues until recently, I wasnt using reclock either.

What are your thoughts on FSE and 3D MVC, people are stating quite categorically 3D MVC should work without FSE but in the years i've been using this i've never had it work without FSE ticked.
You do not need FSE if you have windows 10! Period

Windowed mode works perfect
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 23:32   #47625  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
no seriously, i've always had my display modes set to 24p and had no issues until recently, I wasnt using reclock either.
I've always had to set mine to 23p to get it to work. I have only ever used nvidia graphic cards. I think it is totally display specific.
Old 8th December 2017, 23:34   #47626  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
Will a GTX1060 be enough for upscaling a 720p, 50 or 60 fps, video to 4K with the best settings?
Or should I go for the 1070, just to be sure?

The price difference where I live between this two is HUGE!
I have a 1070 so, you know my opinion lol A 1080 TI would be great but, that is out of my price point.

Last edited by austonrush; 8th December 2017 at 23:39.
Old 8th December 2017, 23:37   #47627  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
My bad, you're right. I just tested and true 24/60 works. Is the 'hack Direct3D to make 24/60 work' in madVR only needed for FSE mode?

I'm not sure it is required anymore for windows 10. I don't have it checked off anymore. Does anyone use it still?
Old 8th December 2017, 23:56   #47628  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by austonrush View Post
You do not need FSE if you have windows 10! Period

Windowed mode works perfect
thanks but yes we already know this, NVIDIA cards work, several people have already stated this, AMD cards dont, I cant get mine to work anyway and nobody has stated their works either yet.

FSE has to be on for me or I get no MVC 3D.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 00:05   #47629  |  Link
mclingo

i fixed the black screen issue, its not KODI DS or MADVR,...what was happening was when I pressed x on my remote to stop it would stop but also minimise to desktop, my desktop is black and my start menu hidden, hence the black screen. I think this was actually a problem with my AUTOHOTKEY script, I had a key mapped to that, bizarrely it was sending x + #d which is stop and minimise, very odd, there was nothing in my script. I deleted the line and re-added and now all ok.

So i'm now just left with the mystery why I have to use FSE mode to get MVC framepacked 3D when the whole world (mostly NVIDIA users) tells me I shouldnt need it.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 00:15   #47630  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
But is it a good idea to use it? I feel like 23,976 is the more compatible option of the two, I don't get why studios would want to use 24.
Agreed, and it is pretty rare nonetheless.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 01:08   #47631  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
thanks but yes we already know this, NVIDIA cards work, several people have already stated this, AMD cards dont, I cant get mine to work anyway and nobody has stated their works either yet.

?

AMD works with fullscreen windows mode!

You need to stop using reclock or FRC! Try to get your card to work without these tools!!!! See my settings as I gave you before!!!

I think MVC 3D will work. AMD is great, very stable, but does not do very high settings.

Last edited by HillieSan; 9th December 2017 at 01:11.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 08:07   #47632  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
720 is probably one of the hardest modes (when going to 4K) in my settings.bin. It probably needs a full 1080 Ti, but hopefully one without an overclock or power target increase. My Titan X, with the same number of cores, can run all my settings at stock.. but 720p might need an increase to the power limit.
Wow! Really? Okay, cheers for this. You have been very helpful and I might as well wait and try and run your settings.bin until I have saved up for the 1080, as most of the material I watch is 720p@25fps and will be doing so on my new 4K TV.
Old 9th December 2017, 09:12   #47633  |  Link
Jesco

Quote:

Can you get 2D playing on your AMD, in FSE? As I stated yesterday, I can play 2D on my AMD in FSE without any problem. Using mpc-hc that is.
Jesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 10:17   #47634  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Wow! Really? Okay, cheers for this. You have been very helpful and I might as well wait and try and run your settings.bin until I have saved up for the 1080, as most of the material I watch is 720p@25fps and will be doing so on my new 4K TV.
To be honest disabling quadrupling for 720p is not a bad idea at all. Jinc offers very good quality for taking NGU doubled 720p to 2160p directly, the quality difference between that and downscaling from quadrupled 2880p is minor. My settings.bin is meant to maximize quality for a 1080 Ti+ user, not be an optimal quality/power point or anything close to that. It is the settings I use, minus changes I sometimes make for specific sources.

It would be interesting to create a few config options I consider optimal for different power levels without targeting specific GPUs. My current one would probably need to be called "heater mode". I do think I could do a much more reasonable profile for max quality, but without spending power just because it is available. I'll get started.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:42   #47635  |  Link
huhn

even lanczos3 for 1440p to 2160p using a 720p source is totally fine.
after doubling the benefits of a really good scaler have a huge diminishing return
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 10:49   #47636  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
even lanczos3 for 1440p to 2160p using a 720p source is totally fine.
after doubling the benefits of a really good scaler have a huge diminishing return
Really? for this!

You don't happen to have any recommended settings for watching 720p on a 2160p screen, using a GT740 (GDDR5), that I can use until I am able to get my hands on a GTX 1080?

A GT740 will not be able to do any doubling at all, will it?
Old 9th December 2017, 10:54   #47637  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
To be honest disabling quadrupling for 720p is not a bad idea at all. Jinc offers very good quality for taking NGU doubled 720p to 2160p directly, the quality difference between that and downscaling from quadrupled 2880p is minor. My settings.bin is meant to maximize quality for a 1080 Ti+ user, not be an optimal quality/power point or anything close to that. It is the settings I use, minus changes I sometimes make for specific sources.

It would be interesting to create a few config options I consider optimal for different power levels without targeting specific GPUs. My current one would probably need to be called "heater mode". I do think I could do a much more reasonable profile for max quality, but without spending power just because it is available. I'll get started.
That'd be incredibly helpful!

I have stuck with v. 0.87.10 longer than I should and mostly because the amount of options now make my head spin.
Old 9th December 2017, 16:54   #47638  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:

That'd be pretty sweet, actually. I just started over with my 1060 settings now that I've rebuilt the machine with the replacement. I suspect I'm going to start tweaking it again, but, I'm only doing 1080p on a panny plasma. Still, it'd be nice to have everything setup properly for when my golden goose comes in and I can buy a 2016 LG OLED 3D capable 4k screen. LMAO My 1060 is 6gb and works very well for 1080p....no surprise there.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:46   #47639  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopa View Post
GTX1070: Can use NGU Sharp/very high luma, with Lanczos3AR (only NGU high with JincAR), with NGU AA/Sharp high chroma & medium strength RCA, instead of high strength setting. Still comparing, Lanczos3AR vs JincAR. Best choice, might, depend on need for RCA high strength & Madashi, said, he is working on "free" RCA high, for use, with NGU Sharp. Thanks for this.

Sorry for being a n00b; what's "RCA"?
Old 10th December 2017, 11:55   #47640  |  Link
Asmodian

Remove Compression Artifacts

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling