Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 16th January 2007, 06:13   #861  |  Link
GIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug Funky View Post
blu-ray will be broken soon enough.

http://www.hdtvblogger.com/?p=39

Quote:
I have received numerous (more than 3) independent reports that an exploit has been found on the PS3 that will reveal the title/volume keys for Blu-ray disks using a PS3. The procedure involves some minor modding of the boot process and Linux.

I have not been told of the exact process but the information makes it seem that the process is not that difficult once you know what you are doing and the lengthy steps are duplicated.

I do not own a PS3 so there is no way for me to deny/verify any of this information.
GIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 06:15   #862  |  Link
Ábudos
Suspended for forum rule violations

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hell View Post
Hi muslix64 - I'm one of those who thinks that you are doing this as a partisan attack on HD DVD. I suspect that you are going to stall on the Blu-Ray version of this.

Are you going to prove me wrong, or just continue to stall? I suspect you could have the Blu-Ray version working in only a couple of days given the work you have already done here.

It's not fair that you attack only one format - if you are true to what you say you are, you would have already released a Blu-Ray version of this program by now...

Color me skeptical of your true motives at the moment.
Are you kidding me? You are flamming him for not cracking blueray because of his involvement with HDDVD?

As he said, he has no Blueray drive. If you want to send him $500 so that he can buy one, I bet he would really love that.

Seriously, seeing as how you haven't done anything yourself, you have no room to criticize.
Ábudos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 08:57   #863  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Hi muslix64 - I'm one of those who thinks that you are doing this as a partisan attack on HD DVD. I suspect that you are going to stall on the Blu-Ray version of this.

Are you going to prove me wrong, or just continue to stall? I suspect you could have the Blu-Ray version working in only a couple of days given the work you have already done here.

It's not fair that you attack only one format - if you are true to what you say you are, you would have already released a Blu-Ray version of this program by now...

What more can I say? Strike issued (R4).

Everybody else - please get back on topic.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 16th January 2007 at 09:00.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 09:55   #864  |  Link
blizc

At last I can post...

I found the keys for Swordfish and Training Day and was able to decrypt them using BackupHDDVD but when played it's just a black screen with no sound. King Kong is fine and by fine I mean a jittery mess but at least that's what everyone is getting anyways. So what's up with these 2 Warner Brothers movies. Is it cuz of the added stream for In-Movie Experience(IME)?

Last edited by blizc; 16th January 2007 at 10:26.
blizc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 10:06   #865  |  Link
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizc View Post
Is it cuz of the added stream for In-Movie Experience(IME)?
Yes BackupHDDVD doesn't properly handle movies with IME yet.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 10:13   #866  |  Link
cyberpass

Is there anyway we can find the spec for the IME?
cyberpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 10:22   #867  |  Link
Warren

Not without signing a bunch of NDAs and paying $5000 to the DVD Consortium.
Old 16th January 2007, 10:40   #868  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Wonder if that might be their next protection layer - adding IME to everything?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 10:47   #869  |  Link
Warren

There are ways to get the raw frames out of IME movies for which graphedit filter graphs are posted in the sister threads to this one but they are not optimal for watching HD DVDs.
Old 16th January 2007, 12:08   #870  |  Link
Nutrition24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfcarroll View Post
Take a look at "Pre-recorded Video Book" - which is a different spec. Specifically chapter 3.

http://www.aacsla.com/specifications...orded_0.91.pdf
Yes, you're right, there indeed, the Title Key is used as is to decrypt the Content (C) as follows:
C = AES-128CBCD(Kt, Ce) so no talking about content key Kc.

I was referring to the HDDVD AACS prerecorded spec
http://www.aacsla.com/specifications...rded_0_912.pdf
section 4.3.2 where the pack encryption is described. and where the content is encrypted/decrypted with a variant of the Title key.

But maybe it's only HL_PCK packs that are encrypted with a Kt variant (Kc) and so if such packs are encountered, they won't be decrypted correctly by backuphddvd.
Nutrition24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 13:44   #871  |  Link
HD Hell

With full respect, apologies to anyone who took that as a personal attack.

Now, doesn't anyone here have a Blu-Ray drive of any sort? Using it with the Power DVD software should allow the keys to be seen in the same way. It seems right that one should be able to back up one's Blu-Ray discs as well.

Let's get a head start until someone releases a mod'ed version of "backup".
HD Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 13:58   #872  |  Link
He-Man

Quote:
Now, doesn't anyone here have a Blu-Ray drive of any sort? Using it with the Power DVD software should allow the keys to be seen in the same way. It seems right that one should be able to back up one's Blu-Ray discs as well.

Let's get a head start until someone releases a mod'ed version of "backup".
Please keep posts about Blu-Ray in the "BackupBluRay" topic instead: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120672

Last edited by He-Man; 16th January 2007 at 14:03.
Old 16th January 2007, 13:58   #873  |  Link
romgohan

Maybe create somewhere a repository of different encountered packs, to widen our knowledge and help find troublesome ones?
romgohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 16:42   #874  |  Link
jimfcarroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutrition24 View Post
Yes, you're right, there indeed, the Title Key is used as is to decrypt the Content (C) as follows:
C = AES-128CBCD(Kt, Ce) so no talking about content key Kc.

I was referring to the HDDVD AACS prerecorded spec
http://www.aacsla.com/specifications...rded_0_912.pdf
section 4.3.2 where the pack encryption is described. and where the content is encrypted/decrypted with a variant of the Title key.

But maybe it's only HL_PCK packs that are encrypted with a Kt variant (Kc) and so if such packs are encountered, they won't be decrypted correctly by backuphddvd.
The relationship between "HD DVD and DVD Pre-recorded Book" spec and "Pre-recorded Video Book" spec is somewhat cloudy in my mind (though they reference each other). The later is much easier to read and seems to be written at a much higher level. Take a look at Chapter 4 which appears to be a technical sales pitch to various media conglomerates on how well protected their content will be (and, IMO, in the long run, they are right).

Unfortunately I don't have any of the requisite hardware, software, or content to experiment or I'd be digging in; all I can do is watch from the sidelines and read the publicly available specs and code.
jimfcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:03   #875  |  Link
jkenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizc View Post
I found the keys for Swordfish and Training Day and was able to decrypt them using BackupHDDVD but when played it's just a black screen with no sound. King Kong is fine and by fine I mean a jittery mess but at least that's what everyone is getting anyways. So what's up with these 2 Warner Brothers movies. Is it cuz of the added stream for In-Movie Experience(IME)?
No, It's because you didn't find the volume key. Or you found a Title key. Backuphddvd will backup the movie with any group of numbers inputed into the Keybd.cfg, but it will be garbage.
jkenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 19:30   #876  |  Link
The_ByteMaster
(Trial period expired!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenzie View Post
No, It's because you didn't find the volume key. Or you found a Title key. Backuphddvd will backup the movie with any group of numbers inputed into the Keybd.cfg, but it will be garbage.
Would it be hard to modify BackupHDDVD so it will (optionally) check the Verify Media Record (see 3.2.5.4 AACS_Spec_Common_0.91)?

i.e. Bytes 4-19 of the MKB (MKBROM.AACS) = Dv and
[AES_128D(Km, Dv)]msb_64 == 0x0123456789ABCDEF

Last edited by The_ByteMaster; 16th January 2007 at 19:50. Reason: clarification
The_ByteMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 20:19   #877  |  Link
jimfcarroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_ByteMaster View Post
Would it be hard to modify BackupHDDVD so it will (optionally) check the Verify Media Record (see 3.2.5.4 AACS_Spec_Common_0.91)?

If that formula is correct, and my recollection of the spec is correct (I don't have it in front of me here), then it would be difficult since Km (I think) is the "media key" - which BackupHDDVD doesn't have and cannot get from what it does have (the Title Key and/or the Volume Unique key ). In fact, it's the reverse that happens in a normal player (the media key yields the Kvu and Kt).
jimfcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 23:52   #878  |  Link
Nutrition24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_ByteMaster View Post

For this to work, we'll need to have the Km (Media key) itself, which we don't have. Using the Km, it's simply decrypting the Dv (Verification data from the MKB) and checking if the left part of the decrypted result is 0123456789ABCDEF.

The Volume ID and the Km (media key) are used to create the Kvu (Volume Unique key), but this step is not reversable (AESG)

But if the idea is to check the correctness of the Kvu, another possibility exists using the TKF (Title Key File). The last entry of this file is the TKF MAC:

This field stores the CMAC value of the data ranging from the 0th to
the 2463rd byte of the Title Key File. The key for the CMAC calculation is the Volume Unique Key
(Kvu).
Nutrition24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 03:41   #879  |  Link
tdent1138

Quote:

I'd be more likely to guess he works for the HD-DVD group in an effort to spur sales.

Thanks Muslix64.

It may be that we have to wait for a stand alone BR drive that can be accessed by an operating system before that get's worked around like HD DVD now is.

EDIT: If this is considered off-topic, I am sorry. I'll delete if requested.

Last edited by tdent1138; 17th January 2007 at 03:43.
tdent1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 05:00   #880  |  Link
trueimage

anyone put together a howto yet? i have training day, but I didn't see the key posted here, so I'll try to find it myself...
trueimage is offline   Reply With Quote