Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 13th October 2008, 01:13   #721  |  Link
Amart

I've been going through the thread, and have found a few people who have had a problem similar to mine but they were either old or not quite the same.

Normally I dont have any problems with the program, but every once and a while where I will convert say 5 files and the dvd size that is left comes out to 0k. After this happens, I go back and convert every file until I find the file causing the problem.

Currently my preferred method HC video, QuEnc MP2. I try changing the audio and video settings around but the result is still the same.

I went in and removed most of the code from the title.bat, leaving the ISO Creation bit. and I get this error:

Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\shows\test\Working Folder 8>"C:\Documents and Settings\Adminis
trator\Desktop\cdutil\favc-1.07\FAVC\mkisofs\mkisofs.exe" -dvd-video -V "DVD_8" -udf -o "C:\Documents and Sett
ings\Administrator\Desktop\shows\test\dvd 8.iso" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\shows\test\d
vd 8"
mkisofs: No error. Faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
mkisofs: Can't open VMG info for 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\shows\test\dvd 8/'.
mkisofs: Unable to parse DVD-Video structures.
mkisofs: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\shows\test\Working Folder 8>
I've tried running through vdub, uncompressing the audio/video, thinking it might be a codec problem but even the 40gig file did not help. I tried lowering bit rate from 8000 all the way down to 4000. The file size is 350 megs. I've used 1.06 and 1.07, my pref is to lean to 1.06 as I havent had little hiccups with it yet.

I know I am probably missing some key info on this to help troubleshoot, but does anyone know what is going on where this only happens once and a while?

Thanks much in advance!
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 01:55   #722  |  Link
gonwk

Hi Amart,

Just out of curiosity ... what OS are you running?
Also I assume you are running FAVC 32-bit ... right!?!

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 02:13   #723  |  Link
Amart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwk View Post
Hi Amart,

Just out of curiosity ... what OS are you running?
Also I assume you are running FAVC 32-bit ... right!?!

G!
I'm running XP64, with FAVC x64
Intel Kentsfield (quad core) with 4 gigs of ram.
Old 13th October 2008, 03:39   #724  |  Link
staul62

Hi Amart,

I'm running exactly the same (OS/FAVC) configuration and had the same problem in the past. I will wrack my brains to try to remember my solution but I suspect it involved a software upgrade. Are you definitely using the newest HCEnc in your FAVC setup?

Good luck!
staul62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 04:30   #725  |  Link
Amart

I will check that now.

I tried a new encode with a known working file and the non working file. From what it looks like, the non working file is missing files out of the VIDEO_TS folder.

Non Working:
10/12/2008 20:01 0 VIDEO_TS.IFO
10/12/2008 20:03 4,112 VTS_01_0.BUP
10/12/2008 20:03 4,112 VTS_01_0.IFO
10/12/2008 20:03 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_1.VOB
10/12/2008 20:02 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_2.VOB
10/12/2008 20:02 133,507,072 VTS_01_3.VOB
6 File(s) 2,280,994,848 bytes
Working:
10/12/2008 19:22 12,288 VIDEO_TS.BUP
10/12/2008 19:22 12,288 VIDEO_TS.IFO
10/12/2008 19:22 22,528 VIDEO_TS.VOB
10/12/2008 19:22 32,768 VTS_01_0.BUP
10/12/2008 19:22 32,768 VTS_01_0.IFO
10/12/2008 19:22 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_1.VOB
10/12/2008 19:21 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_2.VOB
10/12/2008 19:21 61,614,080 VTS_01_3.VOB
8 File(s) 2,209,206,272 bytes

Is this some error with the mux?
Old 13th October 2008, 04:47   #726  |  Link
staul62

I think it's a problem in HCEnc, which then causes the mux not to complete properly. Again, this is relying on memory at this point. The empty VIDEO_TS.IFO file is exactly what I was getting.

Last edited by staul62; 13th October 2008 at 04:48. Reason: clarification
Old 13th October 2008, 07:21   #727  |  Link
Amart

I just tried QuEnc with Quality Presets.
It seems to have done less then HC

10/12/2008 21:55 0 VIDEO_TS.IFO
10/12/2008 21:55 1,073,739,776 VTS_01_1.VOB
10/12/2008 21:55 215,840,768 VTS_01_2.VOB
3 File(s) 1,289,580,544 bytes

I'm thinking its not a codec issue because I would vdub the file into an uncompressed file, and even without audio to see if that was an issue. I've done this before and it seems to have worked but now I'm just stumpped. I dont know enough about muxing to get any productive testing done.

What I have done is used the program SUPER, and re-encoded from xvid to divx, I dont know if that really matters but I was able to make a single episode dvd iso and it does play.

I would rather not do this because I'm sure the quality is going to suffer in the long run. So I will keep fiddling around with this, would love some input if anyone happens to have some!

/mini touchdown dance
Old 13th October 2008, 21:08   #728  |  Link
gonwk

Any reason why the "non-working" VTS_01_3.VOB file is twice as large as the working one!?!?

G!
Old 14th October 2008, 03:05   #729  |  Link
Amart

VIDEO_TS.BUP - Missing
VIDEO_TS.IFO - 0k

The size of the vobs are related to the size of the avi I would assume. They are two different files

So it looks like, what ever is creating these, authoring them, is failing somewhere.
From the title.bat, it looks like batchmux.exe is the program used to author the dvd.
I dont know how to rewrite the ini file to make it work.
Is Batchmux.exe a freeware program or was it written for FAVC?
Old 14th October 2008, 08:35   #730  |  Link
Sir Didymus

BatchMux is a small program used to create a MuxMan .mxp script. (Hem... I am the author of this program...).

Actual authoring is performed by MuxMan, feeding it with the script created by BatchMux.

You can freely play by changing the .mxp script and launching manually the MuxMan authoring.

You may find details on how BatchMux work here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=116297

MuxMan is described in the mpucoder site:
http://www.mpucoder.com/Muxman/versions.shtml

Please consider that the newer version of BatchMux (1.3) is not backward compatible with the one adopted within FAVC. In any case, in my experience, the reasons for failures of the authoring stage should be looked up elsewhere. For instance, inconsistent subpicture files, asset of video with bitrate spykes, inconsistent audio assets.

In my experience, when the source assets (audio, video, subpictures) have no issues, then the authoring stage will not fail.

This type of problems has been discussed many other times, also in this same discussion thread.

Cheers,
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 11:14   #731  |  Link
toology

I'll just mention my problem again since it looks like it got buried. Anyone have an idea how to change subtitle codepage in FAVC? I tried changing it in Subtitle Creator included with FAVC but it didn't work. Thanks in advance!
toology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 04:13   #732  |  Link
staul62

Sir Didymus, my thanks to you for your part in FAVC - an oft-used favourite.

Amart, I do now recall that bit-rate spikes were the central issue when this happened to me. I got over it by upgrading FAVC (and the offending HCEnc) but you might also try reducing your maximum bit-rate.
Old 19th October 2008, 04:12   #733  |  Link
gonwk

Hi folks,

I am still having problem with FAVC .. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 ... and none of the FAVC 1.06 and 1.07 64-bit are working for me ...

I wonder if Mr_Odwin has built a "Trouble.log" into FAVC ... which I can post back here for you guys to look at!

Thanks,

G!
Old 5th November 2008, 09:18   #734  |  Link
Helper

Question on using HCEnc adaptive matrix

Hi,

I thank you for your great product. I was looking at the HCEnc that comes with the system and noticed in the misc folder it has some matrix#.dll where # is 1 thru 4 and these dll files raise bitrate at dark scenes. I do a lot of night races and want to try these because of some noise I am seeing on the dark skies, but do not see an option to include this anywhere in FAVC. How can I use this if it is possible?

Thanks for any help..
Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 17:11   #735  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helper View Post
Hi,

I thank you for your great product. I was looking at the HCEnc that comes with the system and noticed in the misc folder it has some matrix#.dll where # is 1 thru 4 and these dll files raise bitrate at dark scenes. I do a lot of night races and want to try these because of some noise I am seeing on the dark skies, but do not see an option to include this anywhere in FAVC. How can I use this if it is possible?

Thanks for any help..
The ReadMe included in misc folder explains everything very well.
If the checkbox is greyed out you have to delete HC.ini or edit HC.ini as described in the readme and restart HCGui
1.Caution, deleting the ini file will reset your settings to zero.
So dont blame me
Better to experiment with the Adaptive Quantization and the Luminance Gain in settings 1 and 2.
2.Caution, the choosen matrix.dll is rearranging any matrix you choose, so be aware of negative influences.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 18:33   #736  |  Link
Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
The ReadMe included in misc folder explains everything very well.
If the checkbox is greyed out you have to delete HC.ini or edit HC.ini as described in the readme and restart HCGui
1.Caution, deleting the ini file will reset your settings to zero.
So dont blame me
Better to experiment with the Adaptive Quantization and the Luminance Gain in settings 1 and 2.
2.Caution, the choosen matrix.dll is rearranging any matrix you choose, so be aware of negative influences.
I thank you for the information. I know this can be done in hcenc gui, but I was wondering can I access any of these things from in FAVC? I do not see an Luminance Gain or matrix add on. Do any of the other matrix have this built in? Would I just add the things I want to the hc.ini and then FAVC will find it and incorporate it? I dont know the individual program real well so I do not know all the steps the FAVC is doing, thus the reason I use it to create an image to be burned.

THanks again..
Old 5th November 2008, 20:51   #737  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helper View Post
I thank you for the information. I know this can be done in hcenc gui, but I was wondering can I access any of these things from in FAVC? I do not see an Luminance Gain or matrix add on. Do any of the other matrix have this built in? Would I just add the things I want to the hc.ini and then FAVC will find it and incorporate it? I dont know the individual program real well so I do not know all the steps the FAVC is doing, thus the reason I use it to create an image to be burned.

THanks again..
In "Advanced Settings" place the checkmark @ "Don't start batch file".
FAVC will do all the configuring and halt on after creating the batch.
Now, if my memory serves me well, you can edit the batch and/or HC.ini.
When your done, just start the batch manually and off you go...
I'm too lazy to try by myself, so good luck.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 21:12   #738  |  Link
Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
In "Advanced Settings" place the checkmark @ "Don't start batch file".
FAVC will do all the configuring and halt on after creating the batch.
Now, if my memory serves me well, you can edit the batch and/or HC.ini.
When your done, just start the batch manually and off you go...
I'm too lazy to try by myself, so good luck.
Thank you very much for the information. I will give it a try using the luminance option you mentioned.

Have a great day..
Old 21st November 2008, 22:03   #739  |  Link
Xproject187

0kb issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amart View Post
every once and a while where I will convert say 5 files and the dvd size that is left comes out to 0k.
this only happens once and a while?

Thanks much in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
In my experience, when the source assets (audio, video, subpictures) have no issues, then the authoring stage will not fail.

This type of problems has been discussed many other times, also in this same discussion thread.

Cheers,
SD
I'm a novice but I can hardly sit back & not add to this topic when I too went thru this same issue & after alot of reading & redo's I noticed every time My output resulted in a 0kb file or incomplete folder it was due to a damaged asset. People might quickly point to Vista as the probable culprit or maybe even Favc & many times Vista is a problem but try this!
Load the problematic asset into "Avidemux" if You see a prompt saying something about mapping the audio then select Yes & proceed. You'll most likely see a prompt to Re-index the asset select Yes!! If for some reason You don't get the prompt to re-index then You should select it from the drop down menu & proceed to set the Video to copy & set the Audio to MP3Lame then save!! Thats what works for Me If all else fails try getting ahold of different copy of the Problematic Asset.
PS: I use Avidemux 2.4 GTK+ but there are other version located at the link below & below that is a Avidemux thread here at Doom9 that might help.
http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=126164
!!!Good Luck!!!
~x~

Last edited by Xproject187; 21st November 2008 at 22:10.
Xproject187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 22:31   #740  |  Link
Xproject187

Can Favc pick up where it left off at ?

On a few occasions a question has arose that no doubt would of been nice to know the answer to.
Allow Me to set the senario;
I pick 3 avi files to place on a DVD-5, I run the 3 avi's thru Favc,but because I walked away from My PC My lil girl(6yrs) shuts the PC off !!
So of course the process didn't complete!!
However because I opted to keep Favc's working files I can see that a majority of the script was indeed completed, "I'd say approximately 90%".
So My question is as follows:
Can I some how edit the Script/Batch file so that Favc can pick up where it was cut off at ?
If so which file is it? (MuxScript.mxp) ?
Because that's alot of work to throw out & redo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Xproject187; 22nd November 2008 at 00:43.
Xproject187 is offline   Reply With Quote