Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 28th August 2003, 15:37   #1  |  Link
TommyR1

Which Burner Should I Get?

Ok, I finally talked the wife into a new toy for me. So now with cash in hand I have to decide what to get. I want to use it to transfer my home movies to DVD, backup data and DVD movies.

I've been looking at the following burners and they all seem to have very similar specs but what I don't understand is the great price difference.

Teac DVD -/+ RW DVW50D002 - $190
PIONEER DVD -/+ RW A06USPK4 - $230
PIONEER DVD -/+ RW DVR-106D - $170
Plextor DVD -/+ RW PX-708A - $260
LiteOn DVD -/+ RW LDW-401S - $140

What do you guys think of these? What would you recommend? Or is there a different burner that you would suggest?
TommyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 15:49   #2  |  Link
dvd_maniac

price difference

the great price difference is because some of these dries are OEM versions(repackaged by another distribuor). They usually have cheaper software suite if any at all, shorter warranty period and could be made with inferior manufacturing standards. This is not to say that oem's are not good deals though. Just compare all aspects of your purchase b4 you buy. not just the burner.
dvd_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 16:22   #3  |  Link
TommyR1

I'm aware that some of the drives are OEM but usually with OEM you maybe see a $10-$15 price difference on the same model.

What I want to know is which burner is the best. Giving me trouble free burns on a wide range of media.
Old 28th August 2003, 16:35   #4  |  Link
dvd_maniac

usually higher than 15.00

PIONEER DVD -/+ RW A06USPK4 - $230
PIONEER DVD -/+ RW DVR-106D - $170

that's $60
Also My personal favorite is pioneer "A05" if you plan on backing up your dd's, with the speed hak firmware it rips faster than any other burner I know. If you need a multi burner than I'd go with 106. ut I lke the Pioneers better, I also own the Nec 1300a and for $170 it was a pretty good deal.
dvd_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 16:54   #5  |  Link
downloada

hi,

i would get the pioneer dvr-a06 (or if you don't need the software, save some bucks and get the dvr-106d). i bought the dvr-106d and it works perfectly, not a single coaster up until now.

cu
downloada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 17:24   #6  |  Link
windtrader

I am very happy with the Pioneer DVR-105 and if I needed another burner today, I would buy the 106 without hesitation.
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 17:46   #7  |  Link
maa

I have a NEC 1300a and although it refuses certain disks it has never produced a coaster.
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2003, 20:33   #8  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

HP DVD Movie Writer dc3000 . I don't have one but it's a first of its generation. You said you wanted to transfer your movies to DVD and also backup your other DVDs.
Old 28th August 2003, 22:56   #9  |  Link
Topaz

Well if you already have or can fix a good burning program then go for the pioneer 106D.

Got one a few weeks ago myself and no coasters with it!

Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 05:33   #10  |  Link
Gil T Pleasure

Tigerdirect.com is selling the Ultra DVD+RW Burner for $99.99. This drive writes to DVD+R and DVD+RW at 4x max speed.

They're also selling the NEC ND1100 DVD+RW Burner for $119.99. The drive, which writes to DVD+R at 4x and DVD+RW at 2.4x, also comes with a coupon to download DVD X Copy for only $29.99.
Old 29th August 2003, 07:05   #11  |  Link
TCCK

PLEXTOR !!!!

Nothing else to be said other than this:

I told everyone 1 year ago today that DVD +RW format would win out and that the 8X DVD burners were being tested and rocked.

No one believed me! Ha! If you only saw what I am testing right now for SONY, Plextor and Lite-On you would crap yourselves and beg for one today.

Trust me it will be one year or maybe a tad less.

Once again there are those that will beg me to tell but I have a signed contract of non-disclosure and they would not believe me anyways.

Ask Doom9 if he would trust what I say about new "DVD writer" hardware!

But in the mean time buy Plextor even if it costs a few bucks more as it is worth it!

Hide your pepsi or have it poured on your head.
TCCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 09:19   #12  |  Link
erbuk
Stupid Newbie

Agree, looks like the minus format is doomed now when all new burners are either plus or combo. I don't know if that is good or bad but it was bound to happen sometime.

Regarding what burner is best a little study of the electronics industry is a good idea. That would tell you that the manufacturers are much fewer than the brands and if you go down to the component level they are even fewer. There are no Plextor or Iomega burners, those are just brands. Some of them use modified products from for example NEC or LiteOn and some of them just put their own front bezel on a existing drive (Plextor PX504 (=NEC 1100) is a good example).

I would go for the lowest price and use the money saved to buy a new one next year when the 8x prices have gone down. Then you will have a new 8x-burner and an old 4x-burner (that's 12x ) for the same money as one 8x-burner today.

Last edited by erbuk; 29th August 2003 at 09:36.
erbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 14:13   #13  |  Link
Topaz

Quote:
I told everyone 1 year ago today that DVD +RW format would win out and that the 8X DVD burners were being tested and rocked.
Sure. That must be why we can buy dvd -r/-rw so much cheaper and the reason they have a higher volume of production. When all burners are going dual the media with the lowest price will continue to sell more and that is obviously the dvd -r/-rw format.
Old 29th August 2003, 14:50   #14  |  Link
TommyR1

Thank you for the help guys!!!

I think I'm going to go with the PIONEER DVD -/+ RW DVR-106D. The price is right, the features are there and most importantly I did not hear a bad thing about it.

THX Again...
Old 29th August 2003, 15:15   #15  |  Link
TCCK

@Topaz

Yes you can buy -R media cheaper right now (I buy +R for exactly the same price as -R though, so I don't know where you are!)

BUT

as the -R drives become the one that is selling less (as anything past 8X is looking like it will be only +R, that is a free bit of advice for you!) then the +R media will more than likely drop even more!

Go ahead and stay with your -R drive and I will laugh 1 year from now when you are paying the premium on discs.

Trust me it is going to happen!!!

(Sneak peek 27Gb, 24X writing!! nothing else said or I will get my butt kicked!)

Old 29th August 2003, 17:29   #16  |  Link
erbuk
Stupid Newbie

Exactly. Imagine yourself beeing a discmanufacturer about to invest in new machinery for dvdr production. Would you chose machinery for the format that all new burners support and that also is a little bit cheaper to manufature. Or would you chose the format that some new burners do not support and that is a little bit more expensive to manufacture?
Old 29th August 2003, 18:55   #17  |  Link
biffy40

As long as the majority of the compality with players out in the market is with dvd-r, a person would have to be a fool to hold all his eggs in the DVD+r format.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...Tests&Series=0

DVD Media Format Compatibility Tests

Executive Summary
DVD-R is
The Most Compatible DVD Format

Compatibility results: DVD-R=96.74% DVD+R=87.32%
Click here to link to full results

CDR-Info, has determined that DVD-R is clearly the most compatible DVD recording format on the market. To assess the compatibility level of DVD Formats we created video content on a DVD writer using DVD-R/RW and +R/RW media. These discs were then played back in other DVD players and DVD-ROM drives -over a 1,000 combinations of drive, media and player were tested.

The content created on a DVD-R/RW writer using a write once DVD-R disc played back in virtually all (96.1 percent) of the DVD players and DVD-ROM drives used in the research. DVD+R discs played back in 87.6 percent of the devices tested.

Since the market for recording to DVD has developed, and different formats have emerged, consumers have been concerned about the compatibility of their DVD recording devices with DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. The findings suggest that for customers who wish to create content on a DVD writer and interchange this with other PC drives and consumer DVD players, DVD-R is the clear format of choice.
biffy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2003, 19:13   #18  |  Link
erbuk
Stupid Newbie

This has been up before in several forums. They only used two brands of discs for each type and only 20 players with a majority of the players from Pioneer and other companies that supported the minus format. So that test is quite worthless when it comes to tell the difference in compatibility between the two formats. The fact that the difference is only 10% rather suggests that there is no real difference at all.

And my own experience tells me that this is only a theoretical problem. Very few players have any problems with R-discs.

But this is becoming a bit too off-topic. I suggest we continue this eternal discussion somewhere else.

Last edited by erbuk; 29th August 2003 at 19:16.
Old 29th August 2003, 19:14   #19  |  Link
TCCK

9% difference and all NEW DVD players are being created with high compatibility standards so that number for DVD+R discs should hit the same amount if not higher!

Also take a DVD that you have recorded with you to the store when you go to buy a DVD player and test it!

I also agree with the off topic.

BUY PLEXTOR! (and no I don't work for Plextor!)

Old 30th August 2003, 00:35   #20  |  Link
Topaz

Quote:
Yes you can buy -R media cheaper right now (I buy +R for exactly the same price as -R though, so I don't know where you are!)
I live in Sweden and here the prices on +r media is 50-100% more expensive than the -r media. And the -r dvd also has most of the market. I have heard the same from other countries but perhaps in America that is the opposite ?!

Quote:
Go ahead and stay with your -R drive and I will laugh 1 year from now when you are paying the premium on discs.
I thought I said that I bought the Pioneer 106D which of course if a multi format one.. Though I buy 90% -r media because of prices and compatibility issues. It is true that most new dvd has no problems with either format but not all of my friends have new dvd players and some have older ones that don't like +r media.

Quote:
BUY PLEXTOR! (and no I don't work for Plextor!)
Well if he was buying a cd-burner I would say the same with no hesitation but when it comes to dvd burners.. HELL NO.

Last edited by Topaz; 30th August 2003 at 00:40.