Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th January 2012, 20:37   #11841  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I'm sure it would be possible, he just hasn't done it yet.
I don't know what happens recently, but for some weeks, DXVA is everywhere. CUVID, QuickSync, threads comparing "hardware" solution. I've read Potplayer offers DXVA solution. Now, you betatest a new DXVA decoder.
I think Madshi will have to change his roadmap to follow the mode (or rather developers interest right now).

For those like me who does not know a lot of things: if madshi were to implement DXVA, does pure DXVA decoders (like those offered by MPC-HC) could improve quality, or software solution + shaders by madVR will always offer the best quality ?

Because right now, I don't understand all this interest in hardware solutions now that we have really powerful CPU, and software solutions seem to be more stable than hardware ones (with their buggy drivers)...
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 21:10   #11842  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
LAV Video DXVA copies GPU-generated frames back into CPU RAM
Quote:
if madshi were to implement DXVA
I am not 100% certain on this but in theory if this was implemented on the madvr decoders there would be no need to send the decoded frames back to the CPU memory, they would just be added to the renderer queue on the GPU memory which should offer better performance.

Last edited by bjd; 13th January 2012 at 21:11. Reason: missed word
bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 23:01   #11843  |  Link
dansrfe

Bug: When wallpaper automatically changes (e.g. every 5 mins), multiple frames are dropped in exclusive mode.

Bug: Refresh/reset of exclusive mode when changing player to other display takes many minutes.

Feature Request: Support for IVTC and according refresh rate changes.

Feature Request: Hotkey combination to turn off refresh rate changer for current instance. (Useful for switching screens for a short while and don't want to wait for screen resolution and refresh rate to change). In my case I have a screen that has to change from 2048 x 1152 to 1080p in order to go to 24Hz.

IVTC/Video Deinterlacement works very well for me.

Last edited by dansrfe; 13th January 2012 at 23:06.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 23:24   #11844  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd View Post
I am not 100% certain on this but in theory if this was implemented on the madvr decoders there would be no need to send the decoded frames back to the CPU memory, they would just be added to the renderer queue on the GPU memory which should offer better performance.
With a native DXVA decoder and a native DXVA renderer such as EVR, frames are never transferred back to CPU memory.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 08:58   #11845  |  Link
Remicade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Because right now, I don't understand all this interest in hardware solutions now that we have really powerful CPU, and software solutions seem to be more stable than hardware ones (with their buggy drivers)...
I have Phenom II 920 if I use madVR alone without DXVA (LAV or Cyberlink HAM) CPU is ~ 30% (2800 Mhz) and the cooler is quite noisy. If I enable DXVA the noise is very low and the CPU works at 800-1600 Mhz. I want madVR (+Reclock) for me it's the same quality of picture as EVR but the motion it's more fluid.
Remicade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 11:34   #11846  |  Link
Razoola

An update on my problem with 080. It seems my dropped frame and queue issues only affect 25hz material on a secondary display at 50hz (720p TV rips). 23.976 material on a 23.976 secondary display is fine.

The only fix I have found is to enable the treat 25p material as 24p (requires reclock).
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 12:11   #11847  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post

For those like me who does not know a lot of things: if madshi were to implement DXVA, does pure DXVA decoders (like those offered by MPC-HC) could improve quality, or software solution + shaders by madVR will always offer the best quality ?

Software decoders support higher profile levels and are more flexible feature wise. All "properly" implemented decoders produce the same picture hence DXVA's popularity is only a fad and in MadVRs case a completely useless feature since MadVR needs a very good GPU to run properly - users that tend to have a good GPU also tend to have a good CPU which is more than capable decoding h.264. DXVA is only useful on very old PC's or some mobile devices non of which can use MadVR - it would even reduce performance on crappy GPUs.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 16:56   #11848  |  Link
entrecour

NVIDIA Control Panel settings

I'd appreciate folks advice on the optimum settings in NVIDIA Control Panel when using LAV CUVID with madvr or Custom EVR. I have searched the forum and found bits and pieces, but I wanted to pull it altogether to make sure I haven't missed anything.

This is what I have now, using a preset in 3D Settings, with my comments in italics.

Quote:
NVIDIA Control Panel

3D Settings

Adjust Image settings with preview
- let 3D application decide
- Use the advanced 3D image settings
- use my preference emphasizing:Quality /Performance

Manage 3D settings
- Global settings / Program settings
Ambient occlusion - off
Anisotropic filtering - application controlled
Antialiasing - gamma correction - off
Antialising - mode - application controlled
Antialiasing -setting - application controlled
Antialiasing - Transparency - Off
CUDA -GPU's - All
Maximum prerendered frames - 3
Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration - Single display performance
Texture filtering - Ansiotropic sample optimization - Off
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias - Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality - Quality
Threaded Optimization - Auto
Triple buffering - Off
Vertical sync - use 3d application setting

Set PhysXconfig - Auto-select

Display

- Change resolution - user hardware dependent
- Adjust desktop color settings
2. Choose how color is set. Use NVIDIA settings: Defaults
3. Apply following enhancements Digital vibrance: +50% Hue: +0 (defaults)
- Adjust desktop size and position, Scaling - No scaling (in my case I let TV scale), Deinterlacing Use inverse telecine
Video

- Adjust video color settings - With the NVIDIA settings - Color - defaults, Gamma - Defaults, Advanced, Dynamic range: Full 0-255 if using monitor or TV can be set to 0-255, if not Limited 16-235
- Adjust video image settings - Edge enhancement - use the NVIDIA setting 0%, noise reduction - use the NVIDIA setting 0%

Some specific questions

1. Is max prerendered frames OK left at 3?
2. Do you recommend leaving Digital Vibrance at the default (+50%)?
3. Should I specifically set all Antialiasing settings to OFF or can I leave them as "application controlled"

I use both mpc-hc / madvr and DVBViewer / Custom EVR.

By the way I am have a 8600GT / 512M with the 290.36 driver on Vista 32bit connected to a TV via DVI / HDMI cable if that makes any difference.

Last edited by entrecour; 14th January 2012 at 17:01.
entrecour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 18:01   #11849  |  Link
Budtz

Yes I also feel at bit in the dark with regards to setting Nvidia settings for optimum PQ.
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 20:23   #11850  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

As much as switching refresh rates on the fly is usually OK during playback, doing so in pause mode usually ends up in PotP locked up hard here on XPSP3...it would be great if that wasn't the case
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 13:31   #11851  |  Link
lordfrikk

Will the screenshot functionality be implemented anytime soon-ish? Would be really nice to take screenshots without switching back and forth all the time. I searched this thread a bit but haven't found anyone discussing it so I figured I'll ask. Hopefully it doesn't get asked every week...

Also, I posted this in the PotPlayer thread - sometimes the OSD shows output resolution being bigger than the output/source resolution. For example, 1920x1080 video shows output being 2048x1080. Sometimes the height dimension is negative (e.g. 2048x -1080). I was told in the other thread it's OSD printing out wrong values or something along those lines but it only happens with MadVR, when I switch to EVR Custom Present the values are correct.
lordfrikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 13:53   #11852  |  Link
RBG

madshi

I don't know if it is normal, but I have constant crashes playing 4k video on madVR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0m1XmvBey8 -Life in the Garden sample.

This thing occurs only when madVR enters fullscreen mode, video playback stops and when I try to resume it player crashes, in window it's fine, tried both fullscreen exclusive and fullscreen windowed mode, with/without D3D11.

Player
Code:
Daum Potplayer 1.5.30857
Crash log
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	BEX
  Application Name:	PotPlayerMini.exe
  Application Version:	1.5.30857.0
  Application Timestamp:	4d252720
  Fault Module Name:	madVR.ax
  Fault Module Version:	0.80.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4eee4c31
  Exception Offset:	0003efe4
  Exception Code:	c000000d
  Exception Data:	00000000
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID:	1049
  Additional Information 1:	e70c
  Additional Information 2:	e70c66a71d3d9e7a7ac886beba7b747f
  Additional Information 3:	0ae4
  Additional Information 4:	0ae48f975cf6b7753604e4b5fc5d2236
Filters
Code:
(1) File Source (Async.)
(2) LAV Splitter
(3) LAV Video Decoder
(4) Madshi Video Renderer
(5) LAV Audio Decoder
(6) DirectSound Audio Renderer
RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 14:53   #11853  |  Link
kalston

Your vid works perfectly fine for me on MPC-HC with madvr and LAV+reclock.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 15:39   #11854  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi all,

I dont know if this is a bug of madVR or MPC-HC, but changing refresh rate with madVR refresh changer when a video file is opened results in a freeze of MPC-HC ( without any message ). MPC-HC is not responding then and needs to be closed or removed from application processes in the task manager. If the refresh rate changer in madVR is not active, there is no issue with opening files.
Pluto
Old 15th January 2012, 15:52   #11855  |  Link
RBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
Your vid works perfectly fine for me on MPC-HC with madvr and LAV+reclock.
It works fine for me on MPC as well, but not on Daum Potplayer, that's why I wrote player and its version number in my post. Personally I prefer Potplayer over MPC, and it would be nice if madvr could be more stable there.
Old 15th January 2012, 19:33   #11856  |  Link
SoBizarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBG View Post
It works fine for me on MPC as well, but not on Daum Potplayer, that's why I wrote player and its version number in my post. Personally I prefer Potplayer over MPC, and it would be nice if madvr could be more stable there.
Your file plays fine here, so it's not PotPlayer + madVR problem.

SoBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 22:53   #11857  |  Link
RBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBizarre View Post
Your file plays fine here, so it's not PotPlayer + madVR problem.

I don't think so. Obviously we have different hardware, I guess you're on ATI, and I am on Nvidia, and the actual problem is that software is incapable of maintaining its stability on both systems.

I've set the same filter chain as yours except reclock and did some screenshots.

Here is how it crashes, got it when it was in the window.

And this screen shot was done with LAV video in software mode before player stopped working.

Also I don't understand why madVR uses so much video ram here.
Old 16th January 2012, 00:56   #11858  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

628 MB for a 4K source file?

What numbers are you expecting?
Old 16th January 2012, 07:33   #11859  |  Link
wst

Sorry to jump in here. This is not critical, but out of convenience I do most of my HTPC configuration via Remote Desktop. After installing madVR on Win7 MPCx86 + LAV CUID, I get this error: "madVR reports: -creating Direct3D device failed (8876086c)." Everything works fine connected directly to the console; however, it would be nice to be able to configure madVR remotely, even if the video can't be displayed...
wst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 10:36   #11860  |  Link
RBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
628 MB for a 4K source file?

What numbers are you expecting?
Well, SoBizarre got only 206 mb gpu ram used on his system on exactly the same file.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling