Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st October 2019, 15:36   #57501  |  Link
saracas

Can someone please help me ensure my 4K HDR settings are right for my LG C9 OLED TV?

- Do I want the drivers and the TV both set to "HDMI RGB Full"?

- Do I need to manually enable 24hz 12bit in NVIDIA drivers prior to watching HDR content? This setting seems to revert to 8bit whenever I swap back to 60hz 8bit and restart the computer. Maybe I need to make a bat file or something to make this switch automatically when I launch Kodi?

- Do I want to select 24hz or 23hz in the NVIDIA drivers?

Thanks.

Last edited by saracas; 1st October 2019 at 15:40.
saracas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 19:53   #57502  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harumi View Post
I have an issue with one movie (ripped Blu-ray in 1080p), the source material is 50fps.
I have no idea why all other videos are working fine (typical 24fps look great, and no dropped frames), but I struggle with 50fps, the video seems choppy, every sec I am loosing over 15 frames.
Non-UHD Blu-ray doesn't support 50p, can you confirm the source is 50i? If so, are you using software or hardware deinterlacing?
If it's really a movie it should be 25 fps, not 50. Are you sure it's not a video like a documentary or TV studio programme? If not, check if some setting is not forcing deinterlacing and creating 50 fps out of your movie.
50 fps puts 2x more stress on the GPU for rendering so if not using profiles it's possible your settings are fine with 24p but not with 50i/p.
Post a screenshot of madVR's OSD during playback to some external image hosting site so people can find out what's wrong.
Old 1st October 2019, 21:05   #57503  |  Link
Harumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Non-UHD Blu-ray doesn't support 50p, can you confirm the source is 50i? If so, are you using software or hardware deinterlacing?
If it's really a movie it should be 25 fps, not 50. Are you sure it's not a video like a documentary or TV studio programme? If not, check if some setting is not forcing deinterlacing and creating 50 fps out of your movie.
50 fps puts 2x more stress on the GPU for rendering so if not using profiles it's possible your settings are fine with 24p but not with 50i/p.
Post a screenshot of madVR's OSD during playback to some external image hosting site so people can find out what's wrong.
Hello, yes I can confirm, its Blu Ray TV series (PAL,in 50fps thats what madvr OSD says). On the other hand I checked the file properties manually I got this info
Video: H.264/AVC 1920x1080 25fps [V: h264 high L4.1, yuv420p, 1920x1080]

And you are right it looks like GPU (2070 Super) is doing twice the job.

Thanks for help

Last edited by Harumi; 1st October 2019 at 21:07.
Harumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 21:12   #57504  |  Link
Atlantis

I have a LG 32UD99-W monitor which is supposedly HDR. Could you please tell me what settings in madVR I should choose?

in hdr if I set to let madvr decide or passthrough HDR to display, my monitor goes to black and only restarting my PC I can have the monitor back.

For the moment I use Tone map HDR using pixel shaders. What are the best settings for this HDR monitor?
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 23:27   #57505  |  Link
el Filou

@Harumi did you pause playback before taking the screenshot? You have to take it without pausing to get really precise stats for the queues, but it's already showing 27 ms avg render time which is too much indeed.
It says the source is 50 fps so it's probably being deinterlaced in the decoder filter.
Do you maybe have any other processing options active (enhancements/artifact removal/scaling refinement? If yes then disabling some can help.
Old 2nd October 2019, 00:10   #57506  |  Link
saracas

What are these suppose to be for 4K BD HDR content on an LG OLED? https://i.imgur.com/JXe5UeH.png

I can select 4k24hz 12bit RGB or 4k60hz 10bit/12bit YcBCr422. However, they don't stick when I switch back to 4k60hz 8bit RGB and restart the computer. So I am unsure how this will even work without adjusting the setting depending on what i'm doing?

If I just use NVIDIA default, it seems to only use 8bit RGB full: https://i.imgur.com/gYFBIUA.png

Last edited by saracas; 2nd October 2019 at 00:16.
saracas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 01:25   #57507  |  Link
seriouser

I'm having stuttering issues with Direct3D 11. The motion is much smoother with DX9. Strangely, enabling Error Diffusion with DX11 makes the stuttering unbearable. If I use DX9 there's no problem but I'm losing 10-bit output for HDR, right?

2080 Super, 436.30 drivers, latest madVR and MPC-HC with LAV Filters.
seriouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:50   #57508  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
I must admit, never really tried AA. only standard and sharp (on 1080p material), but NEDDI3 just seems more natural, and seems to bring out different details (to be expected).

Will take a closer look at AA though.
Please do, it really is very different than the other NGUs and closely matches the look of NEDDI3. It is the odd one out of the NGUs, it does not share the same look as the NGU sharp/standard/soft family. It even shares that slight pixel shift with NEDDI3 which the other NGUs lack. When NGU was being developed it was NGU AA that allowed us to fairly unanimously agree that NEDDI3 was no longer needed.

I have been a big fan of NEDDI3 since it was only available in Avisynth and even 64 neurons rendered way less than real time on my CPU. I now use NGU AA by default. Some content really benefits from NGU sharp but usually NGU AA or NEDDI3 seem more natural to me too.

Last edited by Asmodian; 2nd October 2019 at 07:52.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:02   #57509  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Will do. But would lt really hurt to add NEDDI3 back for luma though?
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:13   #57510  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

NNEDI3 was the only algorithm using OpenCL, which meant a lot of infrastructure around that in madVR, nevermind that the OpenCL stuff also caused a few problems on its own - so yeah, there is a potential for hurt to keep it.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:18   #57511  |  Link
huhn

isn't the shader version fast anyway?

NGU AA replaced nnedi3 because it was doing the same job just better.

there was one image(very low resolution and quality anime) that was tested where it could be argued that nnedi3 was better then NGU AA the rest was generally seen as even or a clear improvement.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:23   #57512  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Ok guys, thanks for the insight.
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:21   #57513  |  Link
Harumi

@el Filou

Yes, I managed to find the problem, it was the LAV decoder filter.
The deinterlacing mode was set to auto, and that doubled my refresh rate (and GPU usage). Once I set to disable its all good, and framerate is regular (no dropped frames).

Last edited by Harumi; 2nd October 2019 at 09:24.
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:26   #57514  |  Link
huhn

you should not do this.
you now pretty much broke all interlaced content.
is there a reason you changed the interlace setting in lavfilter?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:34   #57515  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
I have a LG 32UD99-W monitor which is supposedly HDR. Could you please tell me what settings in madVR I should choose?
That monitor is not really HDR with peak of 350 nits. I suggest using "this display is already calibrated" to DCI-P3, pure power curve, 2.20 and using tone map HDR using pixel shaders without "output video in HDR format" checked. The other options are all about what looks best to you.

Compare with setting the calibration to BT.709 (since it is only 95% DCI-P3) but that might be oversaturated.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:17   #57516  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harumi View Post
The deinterlacing mode was set to auto. Once I set to disable its all good, and framerate is regular (no dropped frames).
But are not now seeing interlacing artifacts in your TV series? (like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interl...car_wheel).jpg)
As huhn said it's bad to force disable deinterlacing. If a Blu-ray is interlaced it's usually for a good reason. You should create profiles in your madVR config, like this:
Code:
if deintFps < 31 "LFR"
else "HFR"
then adjust settings in the HFR profile for lower GPU usage until you have no dropped frames even with 50/60 fps content.

Last edited by el Filou; 2nd October 2019 at 10:23.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:40   #57517  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouser View Post
I'm having stuttering issues with Direct3D 11. The motion is much smoother with DX9. Strangely, enabling Error Diffusion with DX11 makes the stuttering unbearable. If I use DX9 there's no problem but I'm losing 10-bit output for HDR, right?

2080 Super, 436.30 drivers, latest madVR and MPC-HC with LAV Filters.
i have the same problem what GPU do you have ?
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:02   #57518  |  Link
Atlantis

Thanks
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 13:38   #57519  |  Link
seriouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
i have the same problem what GPU do you have ?
GTX 2080 Super. The render times are not the reason.

Last edited by seriouser; 2nd October 2019 at 17:33.
seriouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 13:39   #57520  |  Link
Harumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
But are not now seeing interlacing artifacts in your TV series? (like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interl...car_wheel).jpg)
As huhn said it's bad to force disable deinterlacing. If a Blu-ray is interlaced it's usually for a good reason. You should create profiles in your madVR config, like this:
Code:
if deintFps < 31 "LFR"
else "HFR"
then adjust settings in the HFR profile for lower GPU usage until you have no dropped frames even with 50/60 fps content.
Ok thanks I will try that. Currently, that option is doubling the refresh rate on my files, and costs twice the performance of the entire machine.

Btw I was not able to solve this and this (deinterlacing on/off its the same),I am not sure how this is called:

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling