Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th June 2017, 22:22   #44081  |  Link
sauma144

Hello madshi,
Do you plan to add Enhanced EWA upscalers into madVR?
http://kaba.hilvi.org/homepage/cg/ewa/Enhanced_Ewa.pdf

Do you plan to add any denoiser?
I know there are a lot of forms of image noise and that creating such a good denoiser is not that easy.
I would like to toggle it easily with a keyboard shortcut.

Last edited by sauma144; 12th June 2017 at 22:39.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 23:44   #44082  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
Hello madshi,
Do you plan to add Enhanced EWA upscalers into madVR?
http://kaba.hilvi.org/homepage/cg/ewa/Enhanced_Ewa.pdf

Do you plan to add any denoiser?
I know there are a lot of forms of image noise and that creating such a good denoiser is not that easy.
I would like to toggle it easily with a keyboard shortcut.

Looks impressive!
Old 13th June 2017, 01:06   #44083  |  Link
huhn

reminds me of EWA lanczos (jinc)
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 04:22   #44084  |  Link
HauteTension

Hello.
I have questions to the MAdVR community.

1) How hardware-scalable is MadVR?
How much the performance of MadVR depends on the CPU?

For example, does it make any sense to change the 4-core Core i7 6500 to 8-core Core i7 6900K or 12-core i9-7920X?
Will this provide any significant increase in overall MadVR performance and will it allow using more sophisticated algorithms?
How about new AMD Risen multicore processors? Is it better or worse then i7 for MadVR?

Maybe, Is it better for MadVR to use processors with a higher clock rate, rather than a large number of cores?

2) The second question: does MadVR support video cards in SLI configurations?
That is, will it give any/or noticeable boost to MadVR performance by adding a second similar video card to the system?

3) Which test or test suite now most accurately represents the performance of CPU and GPU in relation to MadVR processing?
Is this OpenCL benchmarks or something else?

Will be grateful for the explanations and answers.
HauteTension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 07:23   #44085  |  Link
ryrynz

I'll have a crack at these.

1) Very, it can work a Titan if you're upscaling to 4K or beyond. Very little depends on CPU, choose whatever you want it won't matter (Quad+ cores generally preferred these days)
Ryzen is good, madVR is designed for mostly GPU work as GPU's are far more suited for these tasks so it really doesn't matter.
2) No.
3)Nothing I know of, Nvidia generally offers better performance for most features of madVR. At this point it's best just to ask providing information about content and display , maybe one day madVR has the ability to benchmark.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 07:24   #44086  |  Link
sauma144

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
reminds me of EWA lanczos (jinc)
It's an enhanced version of EWA upscaling, so Enhanced Jinc or Jinc++.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 09:15   #44087  |  Link
HauteTension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Very little depends on CPU
Thanks for answers!

1) I already have a Titan X Pascal for MadVR, which works with i7.
Typical CPU usage is 25-30% even on the heaviest algorithms.

Typical content: Remux 1080p, which upscale to 4K Screen.

Even Titan X is not enough for maximal algorithms, such as
"Chroma Upscaling NGU-Very High + Image Upscaling NGU Very High"

Even NNEDI3-256 for Chroma + NGU High for Image Upscaling is already a problem.

Therefore, I want more hardware power
It's a pity if my bundle of CPU and GPU is the top for MadVR for today.

2) If SLI is not supported, very sorry.
What prevents MadVR from using SLI or more-than-4-core CPU?

3) If MadVR does not much depend on the processor,
Maybe, a bundle of i3 + Titan X will provide the same performance as i7 + Titan X?
In other words, there is no point in buying a processor more expensive than i3 for MadVR?

4) That's why it would be important to have relevant tests that will show which particular increase provides more expensive hardware and
where generally reasonable CPU power limit for MadVR.
HauteTension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 09:32   #44088  |  Link
ryrynz

That CPU usage will actually be more the AV decoding than madVR.

"Maximal algorithms" are typically bad choices without first weighing the visual benefits..
4K is a big upscale from Full HD with things like NNEDI3 and NGU, don't underestimate the amount of work that needs to be done to do this.. scale it back, I doubt you'll notice a difference.

I've said this many times.. do not use NNEDI3 256 for chroma. I have no doubt it'll be removed in future.. It's nothing but a huge waste of resources, avoid it like the plague.

You don't really need more hardware power.. you need to look at what you're doing and weigh the benefits of an upgrade by first looking at the differences between what you can and can't do..

I think what prevents madVR from using SLI is that simply madshi has not spent any time on developing for it, there could be a limitation though..

If you're only using a PC for madVR only then a modern quad i3 is fine, personally I'd rather a Ryzen for the extra cores.

When your using a Titan there's not really much out there that's better.. I think most would say go for a 1080Ti if you wanted to upgrade further.. but like I said, weigh it up first.
You should know what you're getting before you pay for it just jumping into a Titan X or 1080Ti without knowing what it gives you is pretty silly IMO.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 11:54   #44089  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
It's an enhanced version of EWA upscaling, so Enhanced Jinc or Jinc++.
it's not like the jinc in madVR is normal EWA lanczos.

would be an easy test with the unscaled test images used but i don't see a way to access them.

i could kind of simulate the 2x2 black white test board pattern and jinc is clearly different from EWA filtering and the new one and what it'S worth clearly superior on this pretty worthless test pattern.

i had to simulate it so it is clearly not 100% the same image.

and most important these paper are from "March 3, 2009" and if i remember correctly jinc is from 2012.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 13:54   #44090  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Just wanted to pop by to say finally got Kodi and HDR metadata and the HDR trigger to work!!! Phew. Turns out that if you use the latest Kodi Dsplayer 32bit version and nvidia driver 378.92 and select passthrough using the nvidi api, it works perfect. Was previously using the latest 64 bit version of kodi dsplayer, which the above doesnt work with

Thanks again Madshi for the great work.

K

Win 10 x64 (16199 build)
Asus GTX 1080 strix OC

PS- As I suspected, no go with later drivers, so 378.92 is the one the works for HDR triggers.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 13th June 2017 at 15:13.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 16:01   #44091  |  Link
Ironclad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteTension View Post
Thanks for answers!

1) I already have a Titan X Pascal for MadVR, which works with i7.
Typical CPU usage is 25-30% even on the heaviest algorithms.

Typical content: Remux 1080p, which upscale to 4K Screen.

Even Titan X is not enough for maximal algorithms, such as
"Chroma Upscaling NGU-Very High + Image Upscaling NGU Very High"

Even NNEDI3-256 for Chroma + NGU High for Image Upscaling is already a problem.

Therefore, I want more hardware power
It's a pity if my bundle of CPU and GPU is the top for MadVR for today.

2) If SLI is not supported, very sorry.
What prevents MadVR from using SLI or more-than-4-core CPU?

3) If MadVR does not much depend on the processor,
Maybe, a bundle of i3 + Titan X will provide the same performance as i7 + Titan X?
In other words, there is no point in buying a processor more expensive than i3 for MadVR?

4) That's why it would be important to have relevant tests that will show which particular increase provides more expensive hardware and
where generally reasonable CPU power limit for MadVR.
MadVR has many possible configurations but not all of them are practical. The higher strength upscaler settings have diminishing returns, and I never use the max settings. If you're using NNEDI3 or NGU highly doubt you'll even notice a difference if you bring them down to medium strength. On a GTX 1080, I'm using NGU chroma doubling & quadrupling with frame interpolation to 90 fps and only getting like 70% usage. I would recommend looking up some guides on what most people find are resource efficient configurations. It's subjective of course, but I think it will give you a jumping off point to configure what you find most pleasing.
Ironclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 04:28   #44092  |  Link
johnnylaiyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Just wanted to pop by to say finally got Kodi and HDR metadata and the HDR trigger to work!!! Phew. Turns out that if you use the latest Kodi Dsplayer 32bit version and nvidia driver 378.92 and select passthrough using the nvidi api, it works perfect. Was previously using the latest 64 bit version of kodi dsplayer, which the above doesnt work with

K

Win 10 x64 (16199 build)
Asus GTX 1080 strix OC

PS- As I suspected, no go with later drivers, so 378.92 is the one the works for HDR triggers.
Same as me, Jriver trigger HDR automatically buy MPC-BE x64 didnt
johnnylaiyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 07:25   #44093  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:

K

Win 10 x64 (16199 build)
Asus GTX 1080 strix OC

Oh, very good news.
You can try with a Windows 10 CU and the latest nvidia drivers?
Because with kodi DSPlayer 64bit + Windows 10 CU + latest nvidia drivers, don't works.
I need to turn ON manually the HDR slide in windows 10 and then play a HDR film.
But, if I turn OFF HDR slide in windows 10, my TV don't switch automatically into HDR mode.

Thanks.
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 07:31   #44094  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
Oh, very good news.
Because with kodi DSPlayer 64bit + Windows 10 CU + latest nvidia drivers, don't works.
I need to turn ON manually the HDR slide in windows 10 and then play a HDR film.
But, if I turn OFF HDR slide in windows 10, my TV don't switch automatically into HDR mode.

Thanks.
As I said, you need the latest 32bit Kodi dsplayer and nvidia driver 378.92.

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 07:49   #44095  |  Link
Igorth

Check the banding folks, I can make kodi dsplayer trigger HDR with 378.92 drivers but something is wrong with the output, it can pass unnoticed but with some blue skyes (Allies movie beginning or Planet Earth II intro) there is banding, I can see the steps pretty clearly (I don't if I play the same files in the TV).

If I enable the windows control panel HDR slider and then play the file everything works OK with no banding thou, don't know why.

It crashes almost everytime if I don't reboot the system first, everything is very fragile at this moment with HDR..
Igorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 10:01   #44096  |  Link
dbgnu76

Quote:

K

Win 10 x64 (16199 build)
Asus GTX 1080 strix OC

I can confirm that Nvidia 378.78 also partly works with Kodi Dsplayer 32bit , My LG 70UH700 will go into HDR mode but when i have watched or press stop to go menu,it won`t exit HDR mode, so all colors are washed out. i must restart computer to end HDR. i cannot install 378.92 because got errors on that driver.
dbgnu76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 11:10   #44097  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgnu76 View Post
I can confirm that Nvidia 378.78 also partly works with Kodi Dsplayer 32bit , My LG 70UH700 will go into HDR mode but when i have watched or press stop to go menu,it won`t exit HDR mode, so all colors are washed out. i must restart computer to end HDR. i cannot install 378.92 because got errors on that driver.
Use DDU to uninstall previous drivers.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 13:43   #44098  |  Link
dbgnu76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Use DDU to uninstall previous drivers.
i have tryed many things ,also re-installed whole windows.
i won`t work with my EVGA GTX1070 , all the other drivers
works like a charm.
dbgnu76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 14:35   #44099  |  Link
jerryleungwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
Oh, very good news.

Thanks.
I have win 10 CU installed but I haven't been able to turn on HDR in the display menu, I suspect it's because the driver for my gpu is not updated yet, is there no way for me to use HDR yet? I can't update it because it came with the laptop so I gotta wait til the manufacturer gets it updated

Last edited by jerryleungwh; 14th June 2017 at 19:23.
jerryleungwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 15:58   #44100  |  Link
cyber201

ok, now works
Kodi DSPlayer latest version 32bit, madvr latest version and nVidia driver 378.92 and windows 10 CU.
But I have the same problem of dbgnu76.
When I press STOP, the display remain in HDR mode.
Why?
Any other experience?

p.s.
With the latest driver of nvidia, HDR don't works
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling