Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th June 2010, 19:43   #12001  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XhmikosR View Post
Unless you mean the difference between ICL10 and ICL11 builds, then the difference between MSVC2008 and ICL11 with resizing+deband+HQRGB32 is ~=15%. Which reminds me I have to finish that benchmark at some point. But you can find some previous results by searching this thread.
Nope, I only meant the pure decoding speed compared to regular builds, with no filtering.
So am I wrong ?

Last edited by MatLz; 19th June 2010 at 19:53. Reason: No "é" in english language...
MatLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 20:31   #12002  |  Link
clsid

For pure decoding all builds give the same performance because GCC is used as compiler for libavcodec.dll
Old 19th June 2010, 20:40   #12003  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
For pure decoding all builds give the same performance because GCC is used as compiler for libavcodec.dll
Thanks for this precision.
In fact, the only 'filtering' I use is the 'gamma-contrast-brightness...', so can it be the cause of the small speed gain I noticed ?
MatLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 11:51   #12004  |  Link
clsid

That filtering is done using the GPU, so it does not affect performance. You need to do benchmarks to see if there are actual differences.
Old 20th June 2010, 13:30   #12005  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by albain View Post
@SamuriHL : I thought that both mkv/mpeg splitters acted the same way.
So MPC M2TS splitter + PGS => ok but one should wait for the first parsed gub
MPC MKV splitter + PGS => not detected

But Haali still suffer from HD audio splitting, no ?

And do you have any news concerning audio dropouts with radeons 5xxx series ?
Thanks
Hi,

Casimir666 has added support for MPC Matroska Splitter for PGS sub today

Thanks to him
And it's working great
Seb.
Old 20th June 2010, 14:35   #12006  |  Link
gametiger

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I just couldn't find anything useful.

I'm using the ffdshow DXVA video decoder for all my DXVA compliant files, but I also have a few H.264 encodes that aren't DXVA compliant (too many reference frames). So I thought I could use the "normal" software ffdshow video decoder for these, i.e. only use the DXVA decoder for files it's going to support. Is it possible to (automatically) do this?

I'm using the latest MPC-HC and ffdshow builds. CPU is a Core 2 Duo E8400, ATI HD5750 graphics. Thanks!
gametiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 15:46   #12007  |  Link
clsid

The DXVA decoder checks for compliance and only decodes streams that pass that test. Whatever other decoder you have installed will take care of the rest.
Old 20th June 2010, 16:32   #12008  |  Link
pankov

clsid,
am I correct to read your words that if the stream is not DXVA compliant the building of the graph will fail and then the player will have to select another decoder?
If that's the case this is very inconvenient because for example if one (like I do) uses ZoomPlayer's "Smart Play" functionality and have configured FFDShow DXVA decoder for H264 when the building of the graph fails an error message will appear and then the default directshow graph creation will kick in. In most cases this default graph will be a mess ... at least not what the user wants. As we all know most if not all computers have more than one filter for each format and also most of us have configured ffdshow raw decoding both for audio and for video but use it only in certain cases. All this usually leads to 2-3 decoders in both the video and audio chains and this is never good.
So isn't it possible to add an option in the ffdshow DXVA decoder to fallback to the defaul ffdshow decoder when the stream is not DXVA compliant?
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 16:36   #12009  |  Link
clsid

The graph won't fail. The decoder will simply deny the connection. Then DirectShow will try inserting the next available decoder into the graph (which usually is the regular ffdshow decoder).
Old 20th June 2010, 16:47   #12010  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

There has been a lot of talk about ATI cards being able to decode 5.1 streams, and I keep seeing files that crash the driver, play with artifacts or simply BSOD, like this one. It's 4.1 compliant in everything except resolution, so it's actually 5.0. MPC reverts to software decoding, but ffdshow uses DXVA and the driver crashes. Play it a second time and you'll get a BSOD.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QH4TWGBO (35MB)
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 16:49   #12011  |  Link
pankov

well, if the decoder denies the connection this means that ZoomPlayer will fail to build the graph with the preconfigured decoders and will fallback to the default directshow graph building.
I tried the following:
1. disabled the H264 DXVA codec in ffdshow DXVA configuraiton.
2. configured ffdshow DXVA decoder as the prefered H264 decoder
3. played a H264 file and got the following warning
Code:
Could not find a suitable Decoder for "[Source File: Smart Play Graph].Video"

SubTypes:
{31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
and then the following error
Code:
Could not create a Smart Play Graph, will now try a standard graph...
So I as I see it - this is not working for ZoomPlayer users
Old 20th June 2010, 17:31   #12012  |  Link
dann23

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
There has been a lot of talk about ATI cards being able to decode 5.1 streams, and I keep seeing files that crash the driver, play with artifacts or simply BSOD, like this one. It's 4.1 compliant in everything except resolution, so it's actually 5.0. MPC reverts to software decoding, but ffdshow uses DXVA and the driver crashes. Play it a second time and you'll get a BSOD.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QH4TWGBO (35MB)
The Ati cards are capable to decode 5.1 streams. I tried to play the sample. It works afters waiting 3 minutes but I after it started my monitor entered in sleep mode but audio worked. I think it will be more usefull to report this in Ati forums. This way they will correct in a future driver release. Also I think it's important to specify that ffdshow dxva is playing this file if compatibility mode is set to skip all checks.
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 18:02   #12013  |  Link
clsid

Disabling DXVA and then setting it as preferred decoder will obviously fail. Duh. First do things the right way and if it still fails then you should ask the ZoomPlayer developers to handle this kind of situation properly.
Old 20th June 2010, 18:19   #12014  |  Link
pankov

clsid,
I was just trying to simulate an non dxva compliant stream playback, because I couldn't quickly find one that isn't. That's the only reason I changed ffdshow's config. Of course I won't leave it this way.
Well I'm not sure it's players responsibility to change decoders depending on the DXVA compliance of the stream. AFAIK there is only one media subtype for both DXVA and non DXVA H264 streams so the player cannot have different configurations for different H264 streams. One more reason that brings me to the same conclusion is that all other DXVA capable decoders fallback to software mode without the need to rebuild the graph or change the decoder. This is true for MPC's Video decoder, Cyberlink's one, DivX's one and I'm pretty sure it's the same with Microsoft's DTV-DVD decoder too.
So I think it's only FFDShow that's making it in different way which is not very convenient for the users.
I'll be glad to be proven wrong here and somebody to show me how to use ffdshow DXVA decoder in Zoomplayer or DVBViewer (another player in which you can configure only one H264 decoder at a time)
Old 20th June 2010, 19:09   #12015  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann23 View Post
The Ati cards are capable to decode 5.1 streams. I tried to play the sample. It works afters waiting 3 minutes but I after it started my monitor entered in sleep mode but audio worked. I think it will be more usefull to report this in Ati forums. This way they will correct in a future driver release. Also I think it's important to specify that ffdshow dxva is playing this file if compatibility mode is set to skip all checks.
ffdshow r3480 plays this file with compatibility mode set to normal, not skip all checks. So waiting 3 minutes is being capable of decoding it? I'd really like to know what would happen if I make a test encode with this resolution plus 16 ref frames, of course 5.1 compliant
Writing on ATI forums is useless IMO. ATI cards definitely have bad support for high resolution and high number of ref frames. The issue I see here is that this particular file is blocked by MPC, but not by ffdshow. Looking at how it crashes the driver here I'd say MPC is right and ffdshow is not. Also, why MPC blocks it if this card can play 5.1 streams?
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 20:14   #12016  |  Link
dann23

be patient They've just added support for 5.1 streams. Maybe they will fix it. But I don't know why I have to choose skip all checks in ffdshow to play 5.1 streams if my card and my driver support it. I didn't have problems with 5.1 streams until this sample of yours
And I believe that wating 3 minutes to play that sample is equal to the blue screen you had. because my monitor went black after that yet my computer was working. I could hear the sound. stupid driver
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 21:51   #12017  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
clsid,
I was just trying to simulate an non dxva compliant stream playback, because I couldn't quickly find one that isn't. That's the only reason I changed ffdshow's config. Of course I won't leave it this way.
Well I'm not sure it's players responsibility to change decoders depending on the DXVA compliance of the stream. AFAIK there is only one media subtype for both DXVA and non DXVA H264 streams so the player cannot have different configurations for different H264 streams. One more reason that brings me to the same conclusion is that all other DXVA capable decoders fallback to software mode without the need to rebuild the graph or change the decoder. This is true for MPC's Video decoder, Cyberlink's one, DivX's one and I'm pretty sure it's the same with Microsoft's DTV-DVD decoder too.
So I think it's only FFDShow that's making it in different way which is not very convenient for the users.
I'll be glad to be proven wrong here and somebody to show me how to use ffdshow DXVA decoder in Zoomplayer or DVBViewer (another player in which you can configure only one H264 decoder at a time)
If the "preferred" decoder fails, then ZoomPlayer should just pick the next available decoder. If ZoomPlayer shows you an error after trying just one decoder, then that is simply stupid behavior of ZoomPlayer. They can easily fix that flaw.
The behavior of ffdshow is working fine and is intentional to allow fallback to software decoders other than ffdshow. This will not change!
Old 20th June 2010, 22:16   #12018  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
Hi,

Casimir666 has added support for MPC Matroska Splitter for PGS sub today

Thanks to him
And it's working great
Seb.
SERIOUSLY?? Man all the fun happens when I'm on vacation. I came back home just for tonight but I'll have to grab that and give it a quick test before I leave for the rest of the week. Do you have a link?
Old 20th June 2010, 22:18   #12019  |  Link
Sebastiii

Hi
You can try this

Filter MPC Matroska ans MPEG LAST SVN

Enjoy
Seb.
Old 20th June 2010, 22:20   #12020  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiii View Post
Hi
You can try this

Filter MPC Matroska ans MPEG LAST SVN

Enjoy
Seb.
Thanks, Seb! I'll give it a try. Won't get to do much after I leave again in the morning as I'm beaching it up for a week. This is great, though, as I can finally drop Haali.

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl