Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st February 2018, 18:41   #49161  |  Link
e-t172

leeperry: it looks like your solution is just simple matrix conversion (as opposed to a 3DLUT-based solution). It will do gamut mapping alright, just not in a very accurate way, especially if your monitor is not perfectly linear. Also part of of this discussion is about making it easier for madVR users to get perfect color correction by simply doing the right thing out-of-the-box as soon as an ICC profile is configured for the monitor in which video is playing, and asking them to write shader code or setting up complex profiles goes a bit against that don't you think

(I also have the suspicion that naive matrix-based transforms will give poor results if the source gamut is very different from the destination gamut, e.g. DCI-P3 -> BT.709, because the mapping is very inflexible and any non-linearities get magnified. I'm just speculating though.)

Last edited by e-t172; 21st February 2018 at 18:50.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 22:30   #49162  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrieger View Post
I am mainly watching 1080P movies
Should I drop Chroma Upscaling to NGU AA medium, and change downscaling to SSIM 2D?
You should have a bit more performance available than I do so you may get away with high.. but yes, I have chroma set to NGU AA medium, NGU sharp set to high (very high is hardcore, btw madshi setting in between these please? xP)

You can get SSIM 2D by 'use "image downscaling" settings' and having SSIM 2D set there.

Quote:
Also under “ if any more Upscaling/downscaling is needed”, I have set to Let Madvr decide. Should I change these to something else?
No, that's fine.

Quote:
Also, under image Upscaling, should I leave the quadrupling settings to “let madvr decide” as well as Chroma set to normal?
Quadrupling doesn't gain you much generally, and certainly you won't be doing this with 1080 content, so leaving it is fine.

Quote:
Lastly, what do you mean if I want to stock AR on top? What settling is that for and what should it be changed to?
"Stack AR on top" "AR" is Anti-ringing, it's a tick box under 'downscaling'. Personally I prefer the added sharpness with it not being ticked (plus I need the extra headroom) I keep sharpeners for at the end if required, I find supersampling and downscaling first achieves more pleasing results.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 22:39   #49163  |  Link
bkrieger

Thank You very much. I actually do have the AR filter checked, I have it set to relaxed.

Thanks
bkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:00   #49164  |  Link
Oguignant

Hi !!! One question, what version of Nvidia driver works MadVr + HDR + 12bits 23hz?

385.26, 385.69 or 390.77

Last edited by Oguignant; 22nd February 2018 at 01:04.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:16   #49165  |  Link
ryrynz

Use 390.77, I'm aware of no issues with it with madVR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 02:55   #49166  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, 390.77 has some good fixes for HDR and no regressions I know of. Still weirdness with custom resolutions sometimes but that is in all the options.
Old 22nd February 2018, 07:23   #49167  |  Link
cremor

Could you please specify what the problems with custom resolutions in the driver are?

I'm interested because I recently started using the custom display mode optimization in madVR and have problems getting anything better than 1 drop/repeat every 2 hours. Even after 6 optimizations, each with over 30 minutes of data collection time, I'm still usually in the 1 hour range. Is this somehow related?
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:15   #49168  |  Link
Asmodian

No, it is an error message that the mode cannot be applied at all. Your issue may be madVR not switching to the actual custom resolution, try applying it manually. I have had that issue before as well, actually I suppose that might be another driver issue with the custom resolution API, but it wasn't the one I was talking about.
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:31   #49169  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
I'm interested because I recently started using the custom display mode optimization in madVR and have problems getting anything better than 1 drop/repeat every 2 hours. Even after 6 optimizations, each with over 30 minutes of data collection time, I'm still usually in the 1 hour range. Is this somehow related?
Perhaps you'll do better, but even a one hour range should make the repeated frame totally unnoticeable during actual viewing (as opposed to watching the OSD). My GTX 1080 rejects lots of the optimized settings, but I'm perfectly satisfied with anything one hour or greater.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:23   #49170  |  Link
j82k

Am I correct in thinking that by having one frame drop/repeat per hour that the audio would slowly go out of sync by up to 42 ms (1 frame) within that hour and then reset back to 0 once the drop/repeat happens?

Last edited by j82k; 22nd February 2018 at 16:30.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:12   #49171  |  Link
ashlar42

It's too bad that an online petition to Nvidia to solve once and for all the clusterfuck they have had for years and years with custom resolutions won't get anywhere. It's absolutely unbelievable that this is still giving problems.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 21:21   #49172  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
It's too bad that an online petition to Nvidia to solve once and for all the clusterfuck they have had for years and years with custom resolutions won't get anywhere. It's absolutely unbelievable that this is still giving problems.
You are very right, but I really doubt that they will ever fix it...
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:12   #49173  |  Link
steakhutzeee

I'm reading a lot and hardly trying to figure out how I know when I simply need to enable deinterlacing and when I need IVTC.

I never seen IVTC turned on automatically, don't know why. Possibile that i never played a telecine source? No. So why my sources are not detected as telecined, so film?

Don't remember who said that automatically source type detection doesn't work. So actually only deinterlacing is turned on when an interlaced source is played.

I understand the difference between interlaced and telecine but don't know how to recognize them...

I have a pal dvd, how I know if I only need deinterlacing or I need IVTC?

I assume that a movie is filmed on film. Not always. So to reproduce it on TV monitors, with a DVD player for example, the telecine process is used. So to reproduce it on a progressive monitor i need IVTC to restore original 24 frames from the 59 resulting from the telecine.

But at the same time, I assume that every movie aired in TV is telecined. But I'm certainly wrong on this.

This for film. Video is interlaced. I can see video in series or on DVD extra for example. In that case I simply need deinterlacing and not IVTC.

Because the source is not film so I don't need to return to the base resolution but just to deinterlace the image.

I'm really trying to figure out this.

I assume, but this is only a suposition, that everything that's not a movie, aired on TV needs only deinterlacing because it's basically a video, like commercials.

Movies instead need IVTC.

Please don't cut my head off if I said someting (or all) wrong. I'm really taking note of the difference.

Atm I created two profiles.

One of these I called DVD. In it I use lighter scalers to avoid dropped frames caused by deinterlacing process.

For the rest I use my other base profile.

But in my dvd profile, how I know if I only need deinterlacing or IVTC?

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 22nd February 2018 at 22:14.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:23   #49174  |  Link
nussman

IVTC = inverse telecine? This is for NTSC DVD with 59,xx fields (23,xx source => 3:2 => 29,xx frames => 59,xx fields).
For Pal DVD (23,xx source => pal speedup => 25p => 50 fields) you dont need inverse telecine.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:31   #49175  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
IVTC = inverse telecine? This is for NTSC DVD with 59,xx fields (23,xx source => 3:2 => 29,xx frames => 59,xx fields).
For Pal DVD (23,xx source => pal speedup => 25p => 50 fields) you dont need inverse telecine.
So I basically only need deinterlacing on them?
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:38   #49176  |  Link
Schwartz

Got a madVR / Driver Stopped Responding crash here, latest version and latest 18.2.2 AMD drivers on a R9 270X. Windows 8.1.
The crash occured when I was seeking a passthrough Twitch stream in MPC-HC, while a second instance of MPC-HC had a movie paused.

https://pastebin.com/ZvprjHaD
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:40   #49177  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@ steakhutzeee:

No, absolutely not basically. "Exotic Interlacing" (originally by scharfis_brain in German, translated to English by StainlessS) lists a bunch of uses and abuses of different ways to norm-convert video. Not all of them can be repaired with satisfying quality anymore...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:43   #49178  |  Link
nussman

@steakhutzeee : Yes.
"force film mode" = "weave deinterlacing" (50 fields => 25 frames)
"video mode" = GPU deinterlacer (50 fields => 50 frames)
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:44   #49179  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
Yeah.
"force film mode" = "weave deinterlacing" (50 fields => 25 frames)
"video mode" = GPU deinerlacer (50 fields => 50 frames)
Wait just a moment, can you clarify this a little? Thanks

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 22nd February 2018 at 22:47.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:48   #49180  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
@ steakhutzeee:

No, absolutely not basically. "Exotic Interlacing" (originally by scharfis_brain in German, translated to English by StainlessS) lists a bunch of uses and abuses of different ways to norm-convert video. Not all of them can be repaired with satisfying quality anymore...
Searching it but no luck. Where I can find it? Thanks!

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling