Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2009, 14:30   #1  |  Link
Fullasoul

BDR...what might I be doing wrong?

Hello!

I wondered if someone might help me figure out what's going wrong for me. I initially installed BD Rebuilder (and the other required packages) back in February, and instantly had great success with the 3 or 4 blu-ray rips I did. Yesterday I decided that I wanted to try a few more, but this time I'm having problems. I updated to the latest BD Rebuilder (the one I used back in Feb has disabled anyways), went through and chose my options (which still seem straight-forward, even though there's a few more than there was back in February) and hit 'Backup'. Here's what I got:

-----------------------
[09:23:30] BD Rebuilder v0.24.02 (beta)
- Source: xxxxxxxxxx
- Input BD size: 36.93 GB
- Approximate total content: [04:28:06.194]
- Target BD size: 7.72 GB
[09:23:34] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [09:23:34] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
- [09:23:38] Reencoding: VID_00001 (1 of 19)
- Encode failed. Retrying.
- Encode failed. Retrying.
- Reached retry limit. Aborting.
[09:23:40] - Failed video encode, aborted

Could anyone help me troubleshoot this??
Fullasoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 16:08   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

The likely candidates are:

Open up a CMD window and cut&paste the command from LASTCMD.TXT (located in the BD_Rebuilder folder) into it and run. This will tell you why X264 is failing -- and while the odds are slim that the error is actually X264, it will point you in the right direction. It's typically CODEC or AVISYNTH configuration.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:07   #3  |  Link
Fullasoul

thanks, jdobbs.....here's what I got when I did that:

avis [error]: unsupported input format (DIB )
x264 [error]: could not open input file 'S:\BDWORK\WORKFILES\VID_00001.AVS'
Old 14th July 2009, 17:56   #4  |  Link
HWK

What version of AviSynth you are using.

You need v2.57 or above for the latest version to work.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 18:22   #5  |  Link
Fullasoul

I don't remember how to tell which version I'm on (my shortcut just says 2.5), but since I grabbed the latest version in Feb 09, it would appear that I'm either on 2.57 or 2.58.
Old 14th July 2009, 19:43   #6  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullasoul View Post
I don't remember how to tell which version I'm on (my shortcut just says 2.5), but since I grabbed the latest version in Feb 09, it would appear that I'm either on 2.57 or 2.58.
The easiest way is to open the \avisynth 2.5\docs folder and take a peek at the changelist file. Its an html document. You're probably using v.2.58.
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 21:51   #7  |  Link
jdobbs

Create an .AVS text file with this in it:

Version()

Then when you play it, it will show the version.

But, to continue debugging, open the offending AVS file ('S:\BDWORK\WORKFILES\VID_00001.AVS' ) with Media Player Classic or Microsoft Media Player and see if you get an error there.
Old 14th July 2009, 22:47   #8  |  Link
Fullasoul

So playing the avs file in Windows Media Player brought me this:

DirectShowSource: RenderFile, the filter graph manager won't talk to me (S:\BDWork\WORKFILES\VID_00001.AVS, line 2)

Oh, and I've verified that I'm using Avisynth 2.58
Old 15th July 2009, 04:18   #9  |  Link
jdobbs

1. Have you installed the version of FFDSHOW version stipulated in the first post of this thread?

2. Have you installed the Haali Matroska Splitter that is recommended in the first post?

3. What kind of video is the source (VC-1, AVC, or MPEG)?

4. What version of Windows are you using?

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th July 2009 at 04:21.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 12:17   #10  |  Link
Fullasoul

I have ffdshow (rev 2672) and Matroska Splitter installed.

VLC lists the codec of the source as WVC1.

I'm using Windows XP SP2.
Old 15th July 2009, 19:07   #11  |  Link
GaPony

JDobbs still recommends FFDshow rev 2661, I believe.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=3729
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 05:52   #12  |  Link
Fullasoul

OK...so I uninstalled my version of ffdshow and installed the recommended version....still get the same error.

Don't know if this means anything, but I tried turning the 'quick encode extras' option on (not that I wanted to, but I've seen people say they could solve an issue by toggling such a thing, and it didn't hurt to try) and again errored out instantly. Different message when I followed into the AVS file, though:

DirectShowSource: couldn't open file S:\TEMPRIP\xxxxxxxx\BDMV\STREAM\00003.m2ts: Ran out of memory (S:\BDWork\WORKFILES\VID_00003.AVS, line 2)

Granted, I'll probably never select the 'quick encode extras' option in a real scenario, but there it is anyway.

So, the mystery continues....
Old 16th July 2009, 06:09   #13  |  Link
Capsbackup

Do you have Windows Media Player 11 installed? If not, install it. Then reinstall AVISynth, because it could have become corrupt. Do the same with Matroska. I don't know if it will help, but I also installed Microsoft VC-1 Encoder SDK - Professional ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en). If you have any other codec packs installed, uninstall them.
You first need to be able to play the .m2ts file with MPC, without the AVISynth error, so start there. Then proceed with BD-RB. Good Luck.
EDIT:
Are you trying to play the source from an internal hard drive or a NAS drive? I suggest an internal drive or an external usb 2.0 until you solve this issue. Also, try to keep the path to the source and the working files as short as possible.

Last edited by Capsbackup; 16th July 2009 at 06:20.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 07:18   #14  |  Link
setarip_old

@Fullasoul

Hi!
Quote:
avis [error]: unsupported input format (DIB )
1) What is your original source material - commercial BluRay disc or something else?

3) If it's a commercial BluRay disc, how did you "rip" it (Remove copy protection)?

3) What is the title (and Region)?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 15:48   #15  |  Link
Fullasoul

It's the US Release of friday the 13th (killer cut)....put to the HD using AnyDVD HD
Old 16th July 2009, 19:03   #16  |  Link
Fullasoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Do you have Windows Media Player 11 installed? If not, install it. Then reinstall AVISynth, because it could have become corrupt. Do the same with Matroska. I don't know if it will help, but I also installed Microsoft VC-1 Encoder SDK - Professional ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en). If you have any other codec packs installed, uninstall them.
You first need to be able to play the .m2ts file with MPC, without the AVISynth error, so start there. Then proceed with BD-RB. Good Luck.
EDIT:
Are you trying to play the source from an internal hard drive or a NAS drive? I suggest an internal drive or an external usb 2.0 until you solve this issue. Also, try to keep the path to the source and the working files as short as possible.
Yeah, S is actually a local (internal) drive, which, as you can see, has both the source and the working directory on it.

I should also note that the source (being the decrypted rip of the full, original blu-ray) plays perfectly right from the hard drive using software solutions like TotalMedia.
Old 17th July 2009, 01:35   #17  |  Link
Fullasoul

so....i moved forward and tried to get the transport files to run in Windows Media Player. Funny thing....since I try to avoid putting too many hands in the pot when it comes to video players and codecs, I've never installed Windows Media Player. Playing the AVS file essentially opens Windows Media Player version 6 (which I never installed, so I'm guessing it just came with the windows install??)

Anyways, as it was not instructed in the first post, and I never had any other need for it, I never installed WMP. Does there stand a good chance that installing a current version will resolve this? Remember, I already completed several complete rebuilds back in February, and obviously no WMP was installed then either (other than this version 6 which just seems to be here, lol).

Last thing....I tried opening several different m2ts files from the source directory...they all came back with either 'ran out of memory' or 'unable to download an appropriate compressor'.
Old 17th July 2009, 02:05   #18  |  Link
Capsbackup

Well you should try what has been recommended so far. You should not be playing the files with Windows Media Player, but Media Player Classic. Windows Media player 11 will install the codec you need for VC-1, but need not be the default player.
Media player 6 is quite ancient.
Old 17th July 2009, 02:49   #19  |  Link
Fullasoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Well you should try what has been recommended so far. You should not be playing the files with Windows Media Player, but Media Player Classic.
^^ That's actually the first time I see that recommendation to be made on this thread. Believe me, I AM trying to take the advice I'm given....I'm not gonna get anywhere otherwise

So just to be clear:

1. Is the only (or best) way to get the VC1 codec I need to install WMP11?

2. Will Media Player Classic mess around with my installed codecs, or does it keep to itself the way, say, VLC does?
Old 17th July 2009, 02:59   #20  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullasoul View Post
^^ That's actually the first time I see that recommendation to be made on this thread. Believe me, I AM trying to take the advice I'm given....I'm not gonna get anywhere otherwise

So just to be clear:

1. Is the only (or best) way to get the VC1 codec I need to install WMP11?

2. Will Media Player Classic mess around with my installed codecs, or does it keep to itself the way, say, VLC does?
1. It is a way that has worked for many.
2. No, MPC is a standalone, but will help determine the issue. AVISynth, FFDShow and Matroska are necessary.