Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 3rd August 2008, 10:03   #61  |  Link
tzgq2m

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay released 7/29, the day of your update, seems to be an exception to your rule:

-Select largest (in actual kb size) .mpls file. I have yet to see where this file NOT the playlist for the main move.

The largest .mpls on the disc is 00003.mpls at 36kb, which seems to be some kind of decoy playlist since it repeats the same 00059.m2ts file about 25 times.

I've yet to actually figure out which is the correct playlist. These discs with the seamless branching could prove to be quite a PITA.

PS - Great guide though, thanks for typing it up.
tzgq2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 15:32   #62  |  Link
SamuriHL

Have you tried scanning the disc with eac3to or BDInfo? That should show you the playlist info. I don't have this title so I can't check.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:40   #63  |  Link
tzgq2m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Have you tried scanning the disc with eac3to or BDInfo? That should show you the playlist info. I don't have this title so I can't check.
No, I had used BDedit to view the playlists.

Now after using BDInfo, I can see the same info, but I'll admit it is in a bit nicer format. 11 different playlists are over 1 hour 41 minutes 30 seconds, figuring out which one is the one I want will likely have to be a trial and error process.
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:55   #64  |  Link
SamuriHL

Sweet. Sounds like they're trying to make it harder by adding a bunch of bogus playlists. That's always a good time!
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 19:38   #65  |  Link
tzgq2m

The good news is, I found the playlist for the unrated movie. It's 00100.mpls for anyone else that might care.

I noticed it was the only one of the 11 that had some of the really short .mpts files, and sure enough those were the director's cut / unrated parts being added in.
Old 4th August 2008, 18:36   #66  |  Link
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzgq2m View Post
The good news is, I found the playlist for the unrated movie. It's 00100.mpls for anyone else that might care.

I noticed it was the only one of the 11 that had some of the really short .mpts files, and sure enough those were the director's cut / unrated parts being added in.

Here's 00100.mpls unrated full movie m2ts file order for Harold & Kumar 2- Escape From Guantanamo Bay:
copy /b 00003.m2ts+00004.m2ts+00007.m2ts+00008.m2ts+00010.m2ts+00011.m2ts+00012.m2ts+00013.m2ts+00015.m2ts+00016.m2ts+00017.m2ts+00018.m2ts+00019.m2ts+00020.m2ts+00021.m2ts+00022.m2ts+00023.m2ts+00024.m2ts+00025.m2ts+00026.m2ts+00027.m2ts+00028.m2ts+00029.m2ts+00030.m2ts+00031.m2ts+00032.m2ts
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 19:32   #67  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

Adding these apparent "fake" .mpls files definitely throws this guide off somewhat...although it looks like it may just add a few minutes to the process while the "real" playlist is found. Unfortunately I can't account for this at this time because I don't think TSMuxer has a way to detect the "real" playlist at this point. I'll update that as soon as they do :P

Btw my good friend from college's brother was one of the two writers of both harold and kumar movies (won't say which one!)...and honestly the sequel was AWFUL. Whew...feels good to get that off the chest...can't really say it to his face LOL. ahh yes, i love the anonymity of the internet
Old 6th August 2008, 20:04   #68  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Have these 'fake' MPLS files been confirmed? The reason I ask is that I came across a disc recently, Rambo (2008), that had seamless branching, many 'overlapping', MPLS files, some longer then the actual movie but they just wound up being legitimate MPLS files. They where the movie but with PiP/commentary added. Don't know why that authored it that way but all I had to do was check IMDB for run time and I got the right MPLS the first time.
EPiPH0NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 04:44   #69  |  Link
tzgq2m

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPH0NE View Post
Have these 'fake' MPLS files been confirmed? The reason I ask is that I came across a disc recently, Rambo (2008), that had seamless branching, many 'overlapping', MPLS files, some longer then the actual movie but they just wound up being legitimate MPLS files. They where the movie but with PiP/commentary added. Don't know why that authored it that way but all I had to do was check IMDB for run time and I got the right MPLS the first time.
There is no question in my mind that 00003.mpls was fake, and there may have been more. Some of the others were alternate versions of the movie that let you "choose" what the actors did next. Similar to one of those books where you go to page 3 if they do something, or page 4 if they don't.

They clearly made 00003.mpls the largest playlist, so I believe it was deliberate.
Old 7th August 2008, 04:48   #70  |  Link
tzgq2m

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPH0NE View Post
Don't know why that authored it that way but all I had to do was check IMDB for run time and I got the right MPLS the first time.
Sorry, I forgot to add... that since this was the unrated version, the runtime was not the same as in IMDB. That was the first thing I looked up. Unfortunately for me one of the other playlists was the time stated in IMDB, so I tried that one first. It ended up just being one of the alternate versions.
Old 7th August 2008, 07:57   #71  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to add... that since this was the unrated version, the runtime was not the same as in IMDB. That was the first thing I looked up. Unfortunately for me one of the other playlists was the time stated in IMDB, so I tried that one first. It ended up just being one of the alternate versions.
Yeah, Rambo (Region A) only had the theatrical version. I now have the German BluRay with the uncut version and I will have to check this one for 'fake' MPLS'. That's totally some guy at the authoring house trying to mess with us. I doubt his boss cares if there's an extra 36kb file in the final product.
Old 24th August 2008, 13:49   #72  |  Link
Octo-puss

Shouldn't this thread be stickied?
Octo-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 18:45   #73  |  Link
tzgq2m

Would any of the steps in this guide go quicker if I was using a quad or 8 core worstation? I currently am using a 2.4 Ghz AMD, and every step takes a long time.

and yes Octo, this thread should be stickied.
Old 24th August 2008, 18:47   #74  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:
Would any of the steps in this guide go quicker if I was using a quad or 8 core worstation?

I would hope so...my rip box is my old P4 3GHz but it still chugs along. I'm lovin' my new Quadcore
Old 27th August 2008, 08:36   #75  |  Link
dat720

Quote:
Would any of the steps in this guide go quicker if I was using a quad or 8 core worstation?
To a certain point, i have a Q9550 (Quad 2.83ghz 12mb cache) and am finding the speed of the CPU is not an issue when muxing, the discs are now the bottle necks.......

I'm really tempted to go and buy a pair of Raptor 10k discs and Stripe them just for speed and temporary storage....
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 17:29   #76  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

@tzgq2m

Dat720 is usually right on, and he is here once again. I assume it may slightly improve speeds, but the issue is also simply how fast it can read from the disc at this point.

Also, I'm not sure if TSMuxer is even specifically designed to use multiple cores anyway - anyone know for sure?

Finally, thanks guys for mentioning that this should be a sticky...this is my first and only guide put up here and I'm so glad people find it useful. As I stated when I first wrote it, it was really tough to find answers to the basics of ripping/encoding/whatever for the new Hi-Def disc formats so I figured when I had (kinda) figured it out that I'd write something so other people who were like me could have a frame of reference.

-Q
Old 3rd September 2008, 05:36   #77  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

Hey so quick question:

Why is it that when i google "how to decrypt blu-ray discs" the following link shows up in instead of the doom9 guide I wrote?:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic350015.html

No offense to any videohelp.com fans, but doom9 is the only site I'd ever want to come up in that kind of a search. Anyone know what the deal with that is?

Yeah I know the guy "sites" this original thread at the end (gee thanks) and maybe my reply was a little harsh (i signed up and replied in like 34 seconds because of rage issues haha) but like seriously, come on with that...

Anyway, anyone who has an insight please let me know.

Thanks all,
Q

PS to the mods, sorry if this is too off topic, let me know and I'll open a new thread.
Old 3rd September 2008, 06:03   #78  |  Link
Octo-puss

You might want to ask the Google team how their indexing of the internets work...
Octo-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:11   #79  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

what's this "googles" you speak of? I think i've heard about using the google but I'm not sure.

Well, I didn't want it to have to go directly to them, WAY too much of a hassle...but I dunno maybe if I start stewing about it I'll get all p-oed and send them an email.

I'm such an internet gangster :P
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:50   #80  |  Link
pierdeux

you dont want to be famous AND infamous at the same time. Being known for decrypting might hurt yu. So be happy and relax!
pierdeux is offline   Reply With Quote